July 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/9/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Anderson and Erica are off tonight.  Campbell Brown and Randi Kaye are filling in.  Be sure to check them out on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. kalayna

Did you see the apoligy by Jessie Jackson, it did not seen sincere, it was more like he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. opps!

July 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Shannon

I seriously do not know how our military could handle a third war in Iran. We are failing miserably already in Afghanistan and this is a much smaller country. I sense the Persians know this and realize the leverage that they have with our current government over committed.

July 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Melinda

Obama is pretty brave to speak what he feels is true.

July 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar

Hi David,
    I agree with you. I think that Jesse Jackson supposed to tell black people to say apologies too. I felt so embarrased what was he saying his comment. I felt that he would learn his lesson tonight.......

July 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  5. kalayna

I am glad senerator kennedy was back in the game, but was he prepared to make an educated vote, or just doing what was good for his party. I draw the line when it is just a party vote, that is just wrong.

July 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Corey Crossman

Talking will solve very little at first but war will solve nothing it will be like another iraq except they have nukes.

July 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Obama actually said that the need for fathers to step up is evident in other ethnicities, but cannot ignore the frequency of households without a father in Black communities. It is a reality, that, honestly, the White community has generally ignored or not paid attention to or have not really labeled as an issue worth discussing.

July 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Cindy

Randi...great to have you on.

I am waiting to see what is wrong with Jeffs! is he dying? Did he try to kill himself or what!?

Cindy...Ga.

July 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Doris Wysinger

As a Black American, I am disgusted by jesse jackson's comments regarding Obama. Obama is speaking the truth to our community. We must take responsibility, both females and males. As for jesse jackson, he is antiquated and out of touch with reality.

July 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Linda, Los Angeles

David, Jessie Jackson was out of line. If he wanted to have a private conversation, he should have done so...in private. As for what he said, it is very unfortunate because it seems to me that Obama is calling for all fathers to do better for their children. What is wrong with that? It does reflect on Jackson's character.

July 9, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Hannah Storm

look who got a little picture 🙂

Welcome to the blog tonight Randi

July 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Jacques Constant

Iam a male African American soldier ,currently serving with the U.S Air Force. I completely agree with Mr Obama's views about fathers in the African American community. We must learn from racism and move on, America is a very competitive Country, lets compete like every other races. We must stop killing and hurting each other ,instaed let learn to love everyone in this great country. Frankly this exactly why Mr. Oboma is a better politician than Mr Jackson.

July 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Domera-Dallas,TX

Hello everyone. I wish this Clinton and Obama thing would end. Lets face it Senator Clinton didn't win, but she gave it her all and fought hard for it. I commend her and hope the Clinton supporters would join in with the Obama campaign. Come on Democrates lets pull this off–lets show the Repubicans we are about change. Remember eventhough Senator Clinton didn't win, she will always have a place in the White House. As long as we put our differences aside and get Senator Obama into the White House.

Obama '08

July 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Mr. Gergen, I'm Black, and welcome Obama's message for responsible fatherhood. I definitely think most Whites would also be receptive to his message. But, with Jackson making these inflammatory comments, I don't expect Obama to highlight deadbeat fathers anymore in any of his speeches.

July 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Kristie L. Corpus Christi, TX

I think Senator Obama handled the comments by Jessie Jackson with his usual grace/calmness. It is clear Senator Obama was raised very well.

July 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The European Union has been negotiating with Iran for years. It's accomplished nothing but give Iran time to develop nukes and missiles to carry them.

July 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  17. michael san francisco

Rev.Jackson is a Bum. He’s done nothing but perpetuate the racial divide by always defending African Americans instead of criticizing their obvious shortcomings. His comments are a gift to Barack Obama. African Americans need a real leader like BO. It’s time for them to kick Rev.Jackson to the Curb and expose him for the charlatan that he is.
    Amy Holmes is always dead on! You should have her on more often..

July 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  18. randicnn

hi everybody.. thanks for joining Campbell and me tonight..
    good to have you as always.. what's on your mind tonight?

July 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  19. Heather Spokane, WA

The sight of the missles are scary but going further with war is not the answer. I agree with Obama, we need to talk with them on an even level and get this war over with.

July 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Shea,North Carolina

Kevin C I have been eating veggies(tomatoes) and I havent gotten sick yet....lol.

July 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Karen

As a long time classroom teacher who is African-American, I deeply regret the comments of Rev. Jackson. I have spent a career baffled by the vocabulary deficiencies of too many of the African-American children I teach. Even in elementary school "our" children have already internalized the notion that speaking well means "acting white" . Rev. Jackson, with the myriad problems in our communities, the message that Sen. Obama delivers (and his delivery) is a model that should be upheld and supported. We are not a monolithic group unable to decipher what is important. Your comments are fodder for many to misconstrue.

July 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Shannon

David, I could not agree more. I think that many people only focus on the extremes with Obama and have not yet realized that he is a very centrist person with a strong call for personal responsibility on many levels. When the extremes such as Jesse Jackson turn on him, this helps to bring attention that he is not with them.

July 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  23. Mike, Syracuse, NY

David. I agree. I zoned out when I heard Obama was speaking in a black church. I agree with his comments about the need to step up. I won't change my vote, but at least it appears he's a tiny bit less radical.

July 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  24. Susan - North Haven,CT

I cried when I saw Ted today. It was awesome to see both sides welcome him "home".

July 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  25. Cindy

So Iran is flexing it's muscles huh!? They are all talk! they know they'd get creamed!

Cindy..Ga.

July 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Hannah Storm

Hey David

To be honest when Obama made his comments about fathers taking responsibility I did not even notice him say black men. As a white women I think what he said could be applied to all parents no matter what race they are

July 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

Hi Campbell, Randi Kaye, everyone. I don't see how Clinton and Obama can't support eachother. She's a great candidate, he won. Good point by Bill Bennet–straining the soup too thin. Best news of the day–Ted Kennedy returning to the senate to cast his ballot against cutting medicare payments to doctors. So good to see him there.

July 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Julie- Toroonto,Canada

Thanks to Obama America is finally having a conversation about its aflictions. Yes as a black person, I agree that we need to take personal responsibility for our actions and behaviours. We must instill the value of education in our children. The systemic racial barriers that hinders our progress must also be removed. I am disappointed with Jessie Jackson's comment. Obama does not make a distinction bettween black problems and white problems. He clearly speaks about Americas problems. Obama is definately what America needs Now.

July 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Shea,North Carolina

Hey Randi, I likes your beat 360 joke. I was reading those earlier.

July 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Bob VA

Why are you saying oil prices are soaringy, when they did not today. They were f;lat, notwithstanding the Iranian missile event.

Plkease get it right.

July 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Sandra

Although the comments were unfortunate, I don't fault a person for speaking their beliefs. As an African American, Barack Obama is not my mentor nor guide for behavior in the African American community. Given the choice between Obama and Jackson, I still must first listen to Jackson. He has been there for many many more years than Obama and will continue to be there for many many more after Obama. I have only known of Obama for a few years and cannot name two things he has changed for African Americans on a national level. I don't always agree with Jackson, but he has my respect.

July 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Salvador

I've now seen the clip of what Mr. Jackson said, and I have to say I am greatly disappointed in how the media and how Mr. Jackson have conducted themselves. How are these comments news? Are we not allowed to speak candidly about what we really think in private? It was clearly a private conversation, one in which Mr. Jackson used a word that almost everyone uses. If I were Mr. Jackson I would have not apologized. Instead I would have screamed at the top of my lungs that I am entitled to use whatever words I may want to in a private conversation. I think Mr. Jackson's apology was cowardly because I believe he's not the least bit sorry for what he said in private, nor should he be.

July 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Kit

Iran's missile test isn't a surprise, is it? I mean, we've known that this was coming for a long time...

July 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar

Wow! Senator Kennedy is back to capitol and vote and all senators applaused and ovation for him, He is doing great!

July 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  35. Hannah Storm

very witty Randi 🙂

July 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  36. La Mar Mn

As a black man i am ashamed of Jesse , what would Dr. King say about Jesse stepping on the dream .

July 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Kevin C

That's it, I'm though avoiding veggies. I'm gonna get me some salmonella!

July 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Heather Spokane, WA

Im glad that Senator Kennedy is doing better. He looks like he is doing much better than before.

July 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I don't agree with Kennedy's positions, but I'm glad he's made a comeback. That family has had more than it's share of tragedy.

July 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Hannah Storm

it was so great to see Ted Kennedy on the Hill today to cast his vote.....where was McCain by the way (just curious)

July 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  41. david gergen

Hello everyone - Good to see so many of you commenting and your warm welcome for Campbell. It strikes me again that Reverend Jackson's comments reflect far more on him than they do on Barack Obama and will serve to strengthen exactly the message the Obama is trying to send to voters across the spectrum: that he is a voice of moderation, not radicalism, and can be a constructive force for change.

As a white, perhaps I am wrong about that from a black perspective. Many of you would know better. But as a white, I also think that many whites have not been paying much attention to Obama's calls for personal responsibility - and responsible fatherhood - among blacks and with Jackson's comments, they will pay more attention - and like it. What do you think? Thanks, D

July 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Kimberly

James Carville does a pretty good job of demonstrating why Obama supporters are dragging their feet in donating money to retire her campaign debt. The anger that Clinton supporters continue to project makes it difficult for Obama supporters to turn the other cheek on where that debt came from.

July 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Shantee

I think Rev. Jackson said it right...I do not like being talked down too.

July 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  44. jason

I don't think it was the Obama campaign that leaked the story!!!!

July 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Linda, Los Angeles

James Carville needs to prove that the Obama campaign linked this. Him saying something like this is more inflamatory than the story itself. That's is what is really dangerous.

July 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Shea,North Carolina

Hello fellow bloggers.....Is Anderson on vacation tonite? If so he absolutely deserves one. I have one question, is Jessie Jackson really a preacher? Come on, not with language like that!!

July 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar

I agree with James Carville, He have good point,. Obama needs to pay debit to Clinton, back to issue.

July 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  48. LuisChile

About Jackson’s open mic gaffe….don´t worry. It’s part of free expression of the people…wasn´t it??

July 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Corey Crossman

I don't know how I fell about this yeah it helps Obama to help her with the debt at the same time is it the responsiblity of the Obama supportes to help her especially after her wasting money late into the primary's. I guess what's good for Obama is good for dems no matter what it is and he needs the clinton supporters.

July 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Kenny

James Carvile is right on the money. They are playing with matches while filling the gas tank.

July 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |