July 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/9/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Anderson and Erica are off tonight.  Campbell Brown and Randi Kaye are filling in.  Be sure to check them out on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Frank El Dorado Hills, CA

Wake up! Obama and Clinton can't stand one another. Any other read on this is just naive.

July 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  2. Shannon

Yes, they have a point. She lost this race in March and insisted on continuing the campaign on the backs of whom? She has 100 million + dollars.

July 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  3. Susan - North Haven,CT

I agree with James Carville. Obama's camp should have kept this under wraps. They had nothing to gain.

Maybe there's a Republican MOLE among Obama's people!

July 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Wow, first I say something nice about Obama, and now I'm agreeing with Carvel. I better see a dr.

July 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Tom

American politics = don't talk about the issues if at all possible.

July 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  6. Lynn, Vancouver

The media is obsessed with all things Obama period!!

July 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  7. Anthony, Columbia, MD

I think Obama is doing the right thing by addressing issues in our own community that really needs to be talked about, get out in the open. I also think the comments made by Rev. Jackson were totally uncalled for. Leave the man (Obama) alone and let his presidential bid run it's coarse.

July 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  8. S. McCollum

Rev. Jackson didn't sound like a preacher with those remarks he made while the microphone was still on. I think he's jealous of Obama.

July 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

Paulette,
    Yes, I agree with you too, He is so idiot, he did something wrong his comment to Obama.

July 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Ron In Texas.

Hi Campbell
    Jessie Jackson sure is a FINE example of a Reverend. Wants to cut Obama's -- off. Commits adultery, fathers a Bass-- child. What a Revered and Leader of the black community., and Obama calls him brother. The company Obama keeps is unreal. Just think. This scum bag Jackson wanted to be our President not once but twice. True colors.

July 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  11. mollie

plenty of better things we could spend money on like renewable resources instead of getting hillary out of her debt. key word, her. i loved how the smiles on those peoples faces disappeared when obama mentioned hillary and her debt.

July 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  12. jes from Canada

It is so refreshing to actually hear what one politician truly thinks of another politician.

July 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Stafford

Black men do need to step up! Barack and Jesse are addressing two different issues. Jesse just chose the wrong platform for his very legitimate issue.

July 9, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Kathy, Chicago

No money for the Hill? that's the same way I feel about Obama!

July 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Shannon

I am still trying to figure out why it is Obama's responsibility to pay for Clinton's debt.

July 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Vig

As they said in the movies, "Houston, we have a problem". The problem here is no one can speak ill of Mr. Obama without having to apologize, rationalize, intellectualize away what might very well be relevant issues open to debate and discussion. Why is it every time there is a critique of Mr. Obama, it is sprayed with perfume? The "in defense of Obama" narrative is now becoming the knee-jerk reaction, shutting down honest discourse concerning Obama, his candidacy, his race, his values, his thinking, his person. This only serves to insulate Mr. Obama.

July 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Paulette, NYC

Jesse Jackson is an idiot. Leave it to Al Sharpton to provide the voice of reason.

July 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Loyd in Cerritos

Maybe Jessie Jackson took offense cause he's one of those irresponsible fathers who didn't raise his child! As a black father of two beautiful daughters; I couldn't imagine leaving my kids behind. I suspect only the guilty will take offense to being called to responsibility.

July 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I was glad to see Obama's comments about the need for the black community to step up. Jackson wants to lay the issues at everyone elses feet.

July 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Lynn, Vancouver

Gary: How is Jackspn's comment anything to do with Obama?? I agree that it is a generaltional thing and it crosses all racial and age divides.

July 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  21. MaryBeth

I can't believe I'm agreein with Rev. Sharpton. He's been very reasonable in his statements and I think he's right when he says that ppl need to be held not only to accountability but responsibility.

July 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  22. Susan - North Haven,CT

It's too bad we don't hear more "hot mike" comments.. maybe we could learn more of what people REALLY think about Obama instead of what they're SUPPOSE to say.

Jackson's apology? – politics as usual. ho-hum. boring.

July 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  23. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Obama is about to fight the roughest political fight in U.S. history! Attacks will be like nothing we've never seen before.

July 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Heather Spokane, WA

Is anyone else sensing jealousy from Jesse Jackson towards Obama?

July 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Kenny

Welcome Campbell. Rev Jackson was 100% wrong plus he has been around long enough to always suspect and treat any mic as a potential open mic. He has lost all credibility with me.

July 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I actually am feeling for Jackson. How embarrassed he must be to have possibly sparked a Black divide across generations with his comments. He will be working overtime, along with the Obama camp, to make this go away, before it hurts the Obama campaign, or, smudge Jackson's legacy.

July 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  27. Maureen T

Thanks David Gergen, the voice of reason!

July 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Manoel Queiroz

When the need came apologize is the best way to do..Rev.Jesse Jackson certainly thought about the things he said..

July 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Kimberly

I think that Rev. Jackson's apology hasn't gone far enough. His comments demean himself and his work. He could have found a different way to express a grievance, whether or not his mic was "hot".

July 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Rev. Sharpton is right; Obama calling for personal responsibility is not scolding black folks. I would like to hear Obama speak to and tailor a conversation or two to Black constituents though.

July 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Michelle in Los Angeles

Shame on Reverend Jessie Jackson. He needs to ask God for forgiveness. How could he put Rev before his name and act so hatefully? People like him are part of the problem.

In addition, I do not know who Rev Jackson speaks for, but he is not talking for me. I have never felt the Democratic Nominee has spoken down to me or blacks. Black men do need to step-up, parents in general need to step up and take responsiblities for their children.

July 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Corey Crossman

Woops eah. In my opinion he does have a point it's just the way that he said it I suppose not knowing the mic was on. I don't think that this will have much effect in the long term and all has been apoligised for maybe now people will watch how they say things but it's doughtful.

July 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar

I hope Rev Jesse Jackson had learn his lesson and never happen again!

July 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Gary

I'm getting the impression that Obama is in self-destruct mode. Every day he is changing policy positions or spending time defending himself from his friends.

July 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. Ellie B

Way to go Mr Jackson your comment was disgusting.

July 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. kathy

is this another staged campaign move like the rev. wright press out burst

July 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. CAROLYN JONES

Rev JACKSON needs a kick in the but, he has a illegal child that he not in the with. karma is to much it hit home.

July 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Lynn, Vancouver

It is really getting ridiculous how ebery word and move is being listened to and commented on. Not that I condone what Jackson said, but if I was under that kind of microscope I think I'd go crazy!! No wonder so few people want to run for the top two positions.

July 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. MaryBeth

Lorie: I hope not either. People are human, they will make mistakes...say things that should not be voiced...

July 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Maureen T

Good evening!...Let's not forget people, Jesse Jackson and Barack Obama are completely different black men. JJ put his foot in his mouth, as usual. Senator Obama is presidential material...not Jesse!

July 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Heather Spokane, WA

Isnt Jesse Jackson for peace among the black population and peace among others? This doesnt sound peaceful to me.

July 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Kathy, Chicago

I don't really think that Obama needs to worry about the African American vote. This does make Jackson look like a real jerk. Thanks for filling in, Campbell!

July 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar

Helloooooo Campbell, Randi, best bloggers!!
    I am so glad that Ramsey are free by DNA, I am so relief that they are cleared. I am so surprised that I accept Rev. Jesse Jackson apologized to Obama today. I saw Larry King interviewed Ingrid Benacourt tonight, she is so amazing today!

July 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Oh...dubbing this with the Jeremiah Wright situation...not nice. Jackson Jr. provided an excellent statement that, I hope, nips this situation in the bud sooner than later.

July 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

For good or bad, no new President will be spared criticism. No human being has 100 percent approval ratings. Hopefully, we won't spend 4 years on remarks and apologies, if Obama is elected.

July 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Cindy

Hey Campbell...nice to have you back.

It seems Jesse let his true feelings out about Obama.

Cindy...Ga.

July 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hello Cambell and bloggers. Wow, Jesse Jackson shows what he's made of again.

July 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Gary

Good evening folks.

July 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Hannah Storm

what the heck was Jesse Jackson thinking?????

July 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Manoel Queiroz

Welcome Mr.Campbell e Mrs.Kaye..i hope we have only great news today..Good Night from Everyone!!

July 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |