July 8th, 2008

The U.S. Christian military?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/07/07/art.soldiers.pray.jpg]
Randi Kaye
AC360° Correspondent

Is the United States Military becoming a Christian organization? That’s what one U.S. soldier tells us.

I met Army Specialist Jeremy Hall in Kansas City a few weeks ago. He’s based at Fort Riley, in Junction City, Kansas about an hour away.

At 24, he’s a remarkable young man determined to complete one final mission. That is to win a lawsuit against the federal government.

Specialist Hall is suing the Department of Defense and former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld for failing to protect his religious freedom. He says the military discriminates against non-Christians and his rights under the First Amendment were denied.

Hall has served two tours in Iraq as a gunner. He’s back at Fort Riley now only because he says his life was threatened after it became public he is an atheist.

“I don’t believe in God, luck, fate, or anything supernatural,” Hall told me.

It wasn’t always that way. Hall grew up reading the Bible every night and saying grace at dinner. Then, after his first tour of duty, he met some friends who were atheist and decided to read the Bible again. He read the whole Bible, and had so many unanswered questions, he says, he decided to embrace atheism.

In the army, he says, that cost him dearly.

Hall says he was denied a promotion because of his beliefs, and felt his life was in jeopardy. He says the army assigned him a full-time bodyguard because of threats.

At Thanksgiving, Hall refused to pray with his table and says an officer told him to go sit somewhere else.

Also, after he was nearly killed when his humvee was attacked, he says a fellow soldier asked him, “do you believe in Jesus now?”

Hall says he was ostracized because he didn’t embrace fundamentalist Christianity.

We checked and religious discrimination is against military policy.

Bill Carr, the man in charge of military personnel policy at the Pentagon, told me, “if an atheist chose to follow their convictions, absolutely, that's acceptable. And that's a point of religious accommodation in department policy, one may hold whatever faith, or may hold no faith.”

Hall doesn’t want money from the military. He just wants soldiers to be guaranteed religious freedom. He plans to leave the army next year, as soon as he can, and wants to leave it a better place than when he first joined it, he says.

What do you think? Should military members be allowed to proselytize? Do you believe the Pentagon when it says this isn’t happening?

Editor's note: See Randi's full report on AC360 tonight at 10PM.

Filed under: Keeping Them Honest • Randi Kaye • Religion
  1. chris

The military, any military, is an organization that exists because of orthodoxy. You are told what to think by someone above you.The Christian model is a perfect fit. Devout religious belief sets an intellectual ceiling above which no devout follower will venture.Athism/Agnosticism is the exact opposite of this, and being so, is a direct threat to the military model as well.Coupled with this is the belief of many that the conflict in Iraq is a cultural conflict: Muslims vs Christians. One need only look at Mr Bush's constant crusade rhetoric to affirm this. Our military then become a group of Christian Jihadists. This, unfortunately, is a symptom of a greater persecution of atheists in the US.

July 8, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  2. Howard C Lucas, MD

The unbelieving(atheist) soldier is correct. All religions are myths. The supernatural is not real. There was no religion until homo sapiens developed the ability to talk and comunicate abstract thoughts with each other. In telling stories to each other they created many imaginary gods. People created God. God did not create people. I am not a believer. I am a humanitarian scientific realist.

July 8, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  3. Linda Rae

This country was founded, in large part, due to religious intolerance. I believe that was what Felix was trying to say, (see earlier blog).
    My oldest daughter "A", has been Wiccan since 16, she is now 26. She has served her country, faithfully for six years, the last three on foreign soil. She has never had a problem with her choice of religion, never been "chastised" for not attending church or not participating in religious ceremonies, including group prayer.
    I myself served in the Army in my 20's, and consider myself Christian/Wiccan. Perhaps the problem lies within Jeremy Hall. We all choose to have different beliefs, perhaps some people are more easily offended when feeling persecuted. Others may smile to themselves and let it ride . It's all a matter of perspecdtive.
    The military was tough for me, however, my daughter thrives on it, has excelled and made it her career.
    PS. Oh yes it is possible to be dual religious, as a matter of fact, the best of both. I was raised in the Christian faith, believe in the tenents of Christianity, especially the "10", yet not all of the hypocrisy about you must be here at a certain time, with people and a pastor to claim it. I also have adopted the Wiccan ways for that is me, nature, nuture, growing my own, loving nature and believing in the eternal cycles of the earth. It's not so much of a practice, but my life. The most interesting thing about both is the central theme, do no harm to none, Love is love.

July 8, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  4. Donna

The Military is not a Christian organization, far from it. If anything, it has no religion in fact at all. That's more dangerous than Atheism.
    When you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

July 8, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  5. Daniel

As an 18 year old who just finished highschool and am looking forward to college. This story will distance me from the idea of serving my country; to pay for my college.

July 8, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  6. Juda T. in Mn

An Athetist has no authoirty, they have no beliefs unless they have established it, therefore they cannot be trusted in God's army. the United States selected Christianty as the country's religion and everything that has to do with the governement is based on Chrisitanity. Now let's get this straight- this person is also denying and form of God, this means Islam, Jew, and all the other religions of the world that beleive in God. So who can trust him, when he serves himself as the master. if he does not want to pray then don't,. I think in the world a song came out by Fantasia and it said "if you don't want me then don't talk to me go ahead and free yourself." This youngman is bound, and filled mith misgivens that no one wants himaround, when it's his spirit that is saying hate, hate, hate. Christians are not perfect, but they serve a perfect God, who speaks to them and tells them they belong to him. he teaches about love, and not separation. The youngman should not be in the Army, because the same way he is betraying thme now, is the character he displayed as a solider. I don't want the enemy in the line of fire with our troops. The young man need to pray for understanding. He should that we still love him. Christians – Know the golden rule– Juda

July 8, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  7. tom

the religous right has done so much in the last 7 years to destroy what our founding fathers worked so hard to free us from. so sad. i say vote democrat across the board and free us again from a king george type ruler.

July 8, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  8. Alex in Dallas

Our Military’s Christian Institution makes us sound like we’re all hypocrites when we say ‘our nation is the greatest because of religious freedom,…’

July 8, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  9. Burt on Cape Cod

Best wishes to MRFF and Mikey Weinstein for their efforts to get the US military to obey the constitution they fight for.

July 8, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  10. RJ

Sounds like a situation in which a man's faith in God was challenged in the face of war and weakened as a result or proven to be lacking. Prayerfully at some point in his life Jeremy will once again find refuge in God's grace and mercy.

July 8, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  11. Lee in Seattle

There are atheists in foxholes and I'm testimony to it having served with the Marine Corps in I Corp. Viet Nam 1967-68 including February and March in Hue City. The only Hell was Hue City in February.

July 8, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  12. Trevor

As a reply to a poster who said there are many ways to heaven besides Christianity which they claimed to be part of, did not Jesus say "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one gets to the father, but by me." So if your religion contradicts your philosophy, one must be wrong. You decide.

July 8, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  13. Mike Jeffries

Well this is what happens when the leadership of the country missed the opportunity too Unite us under the flag. Instead they chose to ram god down the throats of the country without the slightest regard for the Constitution.

We were not a Bad Country before 911 but now we have gone to the extreme.
    The American people are a good and caring people, Look at the response to the Tsunami, Katrina and the 911 Donations that came from the pockets of everyday American.

Taliban, Televangelist, and the unforgettable comment from GW Bush about "the Crusade" in the middle East is blurring the lines between a progressive and innovative country and the Middle Ages.

Let's stop with the fear already ...... And most christians should show God in their actions not just spouting the bible and the amatuerish interpretations.
    BIBLE simply means " Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth"

Let's get on God's Side .... Not claim he's on our's....

July 8, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  14. The Ronald

I can see a certain segment of the troops doing this – like locker room bantering with the dominate jocks using religious faith as tool to secure dominance in a pecking order. The real problem with these Evangelicals and the so-called Right is that they’ve constructed a God tailored to their own vanity, a God of their own choosing. Could be why following God always leads them in the wrong direction.

You’ve done a heck of a job, Bushie!

July 8, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  15. Richard

Why is it that an atheist fighting for his country, is a bigger disgrace than a Ted Haggart, James Dobson, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Baker, Oral Roberts, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, all of whom, shall we say, have issues, and how many of whom fought for their country??????

July 8, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  16. anne d

I experienced the same type of bias in the Air Force during the 70's. The military had a policy on paper but did not monitor nor enforce that policy. I remember when getting my dog tags the airman would not put anything other than christian (nondenominational) on the tag for me. I put a hex on him.

July 8, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  17. Paul in Mount Joy, PA

Thanks for doing this story.

Being an atheist myself, I know what it's like to get the occasional "You're going to Hell" joke. Sure, it's usually said in humor but I know there's superstitious undertones that go along with it. However, that's nothing compared to being ostracized in a military organization, whatever the reason! I have great empathy for Hall.

July 8, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  18. Susan Johnson

The United States of America was founded upon the rock of religious freedom. It would be the downfall of our society to fall into the trap of Christian fundamentalism and its sanctimonious drivel, which has nothing to do with the teachings of Jesus.

Religious belief is deeply personal and should remain that way. Religious sects should have no part in our military institutions, our educational system, or our government in general.

We as a people need to move forward, not return to the era of the Salem witch hunts.

July 8, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  19. rich

Every has a personal right to their personal faith. The key word here is personal. There is no room for organized religion in the military or politics. What do we expect when we have a political environment which has used faithwedge issues to divide the parties. Politics and religion don't mix. We have hundreds of years of bloody history to prove that.
    -Riich

July 8, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  20. Noni Panayotov

Christian moral was a vital part of the very birth of the American Nation. But so was the idea and, yes, the belief that all men are created equal.
    I am from Bulgaria – a Christian country, but not a very relligious one. But everything that I adore about America has to do with what it stands for. And, yes, it's that Christian moral that has a lot to do with the way the Unated States were created, but in that very creation the most important part is the idea that we are ALL equal, and our relligious faith or lack of it is not something we should be judged upon.
    All the possibilities should be open to all the individuals.

July 8, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  21. rdc

i am religious but in a different way. i march to my own band. it is funny 2 me that most people have their particular religious faiths only because they were born into it. they accept wat they have been told their whole life without doing their own research. if the minister says it is good, then it must be good. perception is in the eye of the beholder. wise up and learn all not just one religion and interpect them for yourself with your own view!!! be a leader, not a follower. i applaud him for having courage to even consider converting even though i do believe in god

July 8, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  22. SPC Anthony Tucciariello

I am also an atheist soldier, but I have not experienced anything like the Specialist in this story is describing. While it is true that during most military cerimonies there is a prayer said, usually by the chaplain, it seems more a matter of tradition than religion to me. I never participate in any prayers, but have never suffered any consequences for it; I don't think anyone ever even noticed. If what this soldier is saying is true, and I suppose there's no real reason to believe it isn't, it seems to me to be an isolated incident. I think the problem here is that this soldier has poor leadership. I can't imagine anyone in my chain of command allowing anything like this to go on. This is definitely not an Army-wide problem.

July 8, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  23. Joe

Ahhh, the War on Christianity continues. I have heard about this soldier before and personally I think he is causing trouble. Funny, how most of the bloggers seem to be non-believers, typical of social liberals. I have a hard time believing this kid. I think he is carrying a chip on his shoulder because he didnt get a promotion and now he is stirring the pot, causing trouble.

July 8, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  24. Charlie

Finally. i am not suprised to see this and its a good thing for our country. Its a reminder that the atheists in this country are not going to back down from the intolerance that not just christians but other religious groups as well have towards them. and a reply to a post i read earlier about this country being founded upon christian principles 1. this country was based on one simple concept the freedom to choose and that includes the freedom to believe whatever you want and nobody can take that away from you and 2 if you could tell me where there is a direct connection from the constitution to christian principles i would really like to see. thank you.

July 8, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  25. Adrian

Being a Naval Academy graduate and served in the US Navy for over 8 years, I never felt any pressure to be a better or more Christian-like. My time at the Naval Academy introduced me to religions that I would never have been introduced. I have friends that were atheists and I never saw them be treated any different. Maybe times have changed, but I don't think the problem is the military. The problem is in our country as a whole. More and more power is being welded by the religous leaders of this country and it is leading the country do a path of no return. Being a submariner, I trusted the people around us and less on a God that would safe us when something is going wrong. Looking back on my years onboard a submarine, I really don't remember evaluating my division based on their individual religious beliefs; but on their individual performance. So, I really hope that this is not a true statement; but would not be shocked. The issue of pray at lunch at the Naval Academy. This should not be a big deal. No one forces you to pray. The chaplin (a man who respect all faith) says a prayer.

July 8, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  26. Ava in Roma It.

Proud Athiest!!! AS an athiest, I'm glad someone is pointing out the hate towards no believers.
    I'm tired of having religion shoved down my throat, or being labeled idot, lost, or damned to hell. No one should be forced to pray. In school, in the military, As an athiest I respect the right of others who do believe, good for them, and if I don't ...I'd just like to be left alone. Religion, belief system -should be a personal private matter. Great story, I hope good things come of this.
    *And as another posted, I can't wait for the day ...if I'm even alive by then, but it would be nice to see an athiest president, I won't hold my breath.

July 8, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  27. David Joan

Thank you for covering the issue of pressure in the military to be Christian. It is a serious issue. I believe my stepson was brainwashed into being a Christian. (I prefer not to be specific. He has a good career going.) I am spiritual, but not Christian, and I've seen CNN's earlier programs about this travesty. Thank you for helping to expose this violation of Church and State, or this misuse of our military as Christian Soldiers. I expect the reason for making our soldiers Christians is to make them fight for their God even when they would object based on reasoned thinking. I still need to see your entire segment on this on my TIVO. Dave

July 8, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  28. Nerissa from the BayAREA

This is just so hard to read. The way Mr. Hall was treated by so called christian is the opposite of what christianity is all about. Mr Hall is just as important as those christians who have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior. HIS BLOOD WAS SHED FOR ALL! However, it is conditional. The eternal salvation is for all who believes according to JOHN 3:16. I guess when you are at war like IRAQ, people become less tolerant. BUT THIS SHOULD NOT MOVE christians at all. Instead they should extend grace, peace and love specially faith to the faithless. PLEASE read your bible, start with the gospel. (matt,Mark,Luke & JOhn).

Please don't take prayers out of military! Yikes. You've done it in schools and look where it led us.

I really pray for this country and for AC!

July 8, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  29. Kathaleen Marion

That is why America is in trouble in all areas. Too many people who reason and have opinions are speaking out. How many moons have they set or suns have they caused to rise. Too much logic. Christianity is about faith. All these opinions and logics cannot stand up to the Word of God. Too many people don't know it or it's origin. They have not read it. You have a right not to believe. Continue to follow and watchn nonbelivers or disobedient believers.. Believers and unbelievers suffer. Non-believers because they are nonbelievers. Believers because of sin. We live in a fallen world where people want to do what they want to do wihout consequences. Obey and be blessed. Disobey and receive the curse.

July 8, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  30. ray

One nation under God!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need I say more

July 8, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  31. Miranda Williams

I would like to know why he became an athiest afer years of being a devout Christian. There has to be a reason as to why he changed his mind to such a large degree.

July 8, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  32. Hugh Harvey

The military has always practiced religious discrimination based on the preferences of the higher ranks in an organization. I can remember many years ago when church call was given, if you went to the services you got several hours of breaks and goof off time, -if you didn't go you were assigned to working parties, lawn mowing, picking up trash, butts etc. or maybe mess hall duty.

July 8, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  33. Gene Clarke

"Our's is not to reason why, Our's is just to do or die." Has nothing to do with prayer or religious convictions. The Army is way off base here.

July 8, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  34. Mike Timmins

I am an active duty sailor in the Navy, and I have worked with personnel of every conceivable religious persuasion including evangelical Christian, Wiccan and yes, even Athiest. in 16 years I have never seen careers affected by beliefs and have seen little proseltyzing, none of it official. Atheism is just as much a "religious belief" as any other and I don't want to listen to them proseltyzing either.

July 8, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  35. Retha

Good night Anderson and all. I don't usually watch much of CNN, but Anderson you seem to be more fair and balanced so I have been watching you more often. I like that about your show. Hope you keep it that way.

July 8, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  36. Daniel

i am a Christian and i believe even though i am a believer i believe the person should choose whether he wants to follow God with their heart not forced too and God will deal accordingly with the individual, and i am going into the air force

July 8, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  37. Aaron

I'm an evangelical Christian and I am outraged by the treatment this soldier has received! At the end of the day, the soldiers who harassed this man aren't acting like real Christians at all!

If the Pentagon is encouraging Christianity in the ranks of the US military, its only doing so in a twisted, unbiblical way – the same way the Vatican did during the Crusades to the European Knights who went off to fight. The Pentagon is doing this because they know that faith is a hard conviction to break and they want tough soldiers who won't crack under pressure. They've encouraged the theologically FALSE concept of a "just war" and succeeded in deceiving these honorable men in uniform that they are fighting one when in reality this is one of the most ungodly, selfish, underhanded debacles ever launched by a so-called Christian nation! If they only knew they were fighting to defend the money grubbing, lust for power interests of Bush's oil industry buddies and the world banking cartel they would get out alltogether!

The whole notion of a premptive war of aggression goes against every reasonable understanding of the teachings of Christ and His apostles. I believe this is one of the many ways faith-imposters like Bush are waging a war on Christianity itself by doing such evil in the "name of Jesus" that they are convincing millions of people that Christianity is bad – and from what some of you have wrote I'd say they are succeeding. Bush is a wolf in sheeps clothing folks! He's using Christianity to manipulate people!

July 8, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  38. don barefoot

As a former Marine and recovering Christian I am now a proud Atheist and no for a fact the military is all about God first and country second. Just watch the recent PBS show Carrier, produced none other than Mel Gibson and they show how on the U.S.S. Nimitz and other aircraft carriers they are forced to listen over the ships intercom to nightly prays. This is just wrong and needs to be stopped. My father was a Pentecostal preacher and I went to Bible College and it is brain-washing pure and simple.

July 8, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  39. PaulBronstein

My Grandpa serve tin the US army in the North Korean war at that time was a converted Jew. He told me many stories about how his fellow soldiers where anti- semtic towards him and my grandpa had to argue with his fellow soldiers. I see this flaw has not change today but in fact has gotten worst by time

July 8, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  40. Clyde Williams

My time in Active duty status, Everyone was encourged to practice thier own religion whatever that may be. As far as the promotion being denied to him because he wasnt a christian, I was one of the very few Christains in my Active duty company, and Im just an E-3 Private First Class. Im in the Ohio Army National Guard now and religion both on active duty and in the Guard, I've never seen anyone pushed one way everyone is just left alone about what they believe in..

PFC CLYDE WILLIAMS
    ALBANY OHIO

July 8, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  41. Lacey-Jane T. West Palm Beach Florida

I am outraged that the United States Military would discriminate due to religious beilefs. This country was founded on religious freedom. Being an Agnostic I know how the general public judges my patrionism because of my personal belief system. I feel that Hall should be congratulated for standing up for his rights and the rights of every military personal. He as well as all the troops have done an amazing job in Iraq and no one should be punished for that. Equality in all workplaces are essential!

July 8, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  42. J Dugger

For most in the military, GOD is a belief that has given many, many war heroes the faith and courage to carry on throughout all aspects of the military. This is a well known fact, and that is why it is freely taught throughout all branches of military services.

July 8, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  43. Bayardo

This nation was founded on Christian beliefs and it seems that now that God has been slowly taken out of our everyday lives, things around us are deteriorating. I bet if it were Kaballah or one of these new and chic religions the crowds would be more like "Oh look how nice that they're embracing something cool."

July 8, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  44. Alexandria

Up until very recently the common question amongst americans was whether or not we will have a black president or a woman president first. The question I ask is when will we have a president that is an atheist or non-Christian.

July 8, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  45. Ozzy

Finally, the truth comes out about this war.

While we are trying to help the Muslim world, our American world is speaking the truth about our government. The war is to turn everyone into a christian.

July 8, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  46. rick

I am a retired Army officer, served in RVN.............as in all walks of life in the USA.........separation of Church and State..........whate the hell happened to that !

July 8, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  47. Lisa

I'm disappointed that CNN gave this story the time of day.

At 23, this kid has no idea what he is or what he believes. Compound that with the fog of war ...

I will ask for God to bless him anyway.

July 8, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  48. Rick

After reading the article and most of the comments, I feel the need to add my own comments.
    There are many people who's comments are what mine would be: is a sad note that true freedom of religion has to be won through litigation.
    What I've seen here is the argument constantly put forth that "everyone has the freedom to their own belief, or lack thereof" and then some Christian comes along and claims that same freedom that other religions claim. This is very true. ALL people can believe whatever they want. What Christians, and Islamics, need to understand is that you are entitled to BELIEVE whatever you want. You are NOT entitled to cram that belief down someone else's throat and threaten or cajole that person if they refuse to accept your belief system.
    I call myself "spiritual" rather than "religious" because I haven't found an organized religion that will let me believe what "I" want to believe instead of their propoganda. I believe in God and lead a pretty good life. I do not fear my God as others would have me do. MY God is a wonderful and caring God, not a fearmonger that Christians want to push on me.
    As far as Spc. Hall is concerned, you Christians may not have seen any evidence of discrimination in the article but I did. Why would the Army assign a personal bodyguard unless he DID, in fact, have reason to fear for his life from someone other than the enemy? Do you think the Army coddles people to the point of entertaining their fantasies? If the Army felt there was a threat, there was a threat. You just don't want to accept that so you can belittle this man.
    Those of you who are so narrow minded as to refuse to eat at the same table as this atheist are not true Christians. Didn't your Jesus eat at the table with his known betrayer? Are you better than Jesus?
    I think your just ignorant and prefer to stay that way.

July 8, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  49. Pat

I think some Christians actually believe that America is a Christian nation. It isn’t. We are a mixed bunch. We each have the right to believe or not to believe. I personally have witnessed Christians making non-Christian people uncomfortable on several occasions at the state university I attend. If what this soldier is true then I wish him luck. I would do the same thing.

July 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Paul

People are focusing on Atheism vs Christianity in this blog, but I think we are missing the point here. This isn't about religion in the military. It is about how people treat others who are somehow different than themselves. Think about it. What other kinds of preferential treatment has been evident in the military? Gays vs. Non-gays. Racism. State relationships. "What school did you grad from?" The truth of the matter is that people band together with people like themselves and tend to rail against those who are different. Its small-minded thinking.

I'd also offer that occurences such as this are relatively few and far between. I am ex-military. I was chastised, persecuted and assaulted for my belief – and I am a Christian. I know how diverse the military is and can be, and most of the time the diversity works well. But...once in a while you get some neanderthals that don't accept others who are different than them and they use their power to make things rough on others. So what? That's life! The same problem can be found around you. Corporate life is just as bad. So are neighborhoods and schools. Just deal with it, stop whining, and be bigger than those causing the problems. Lawsuits won't fix the problems. Toleration will.

July 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |