July 8th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/8/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Erica is off tonight but Randi Kaye will be filling in for her on the air and on the blog.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Randi on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. lynne

its disgusting that Anyone should be traeted different for what they believe or dont believe in!!!

July 8, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Cindy

There should be no bias at all in the military on anything. If someone is willing to risk their life to serve they shouldn't be harassed about anything.

Cindy..Ga.

July 8, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  3. CaseyJPS

July 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Sara, Oklahoma

I thought the Army was for patriotism. Not religion. They need to stop trying to cram their religion down his throat, and be glad he's fighting for this country.

July 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Richard

Now, this story of religion in the military is a good story. I bet it will get squashed.

July 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  6. CaseyJPS

I'm not certain Bill Richardson is fresh enough, quite frankly. I think he is relatively progressive, but I'm not sold.

July 8, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  7. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hall's experience (if true) is very much a deviation from both policy, regulations, and practice. I spent 22 years in the Navy and reserves and never saw anything like this.

July 8, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Cynthia

What made him change his mind about being a Christian?

July 8, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Jose

Are the military members suppose to hide their religion now?

July 8, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

Hello David Gergen,
    I agree with your point, I think that Obama will pick his running mate Hillary Clinton on the ticket. and nice see you on the blog tonight! 🙂

July 8, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Shelley, Washington the State

Come on! Do you even realize how excited those girls probably were to do that interview? They were clearly happy ..... it was cute.

July 8, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  12. david gergen

Mike from Syracuse - My sense is that he does indeed believe in the positions he has been taking recently. Don't see any evidence to the contrary.

Interesting and high degree of support for Bill Richardson in comments tonight. D

July 8, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Jolene

I find it appalling that honor is more important than your own flesh and blood.

July 8, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Amina TN

i can't believe honor killing is still around in these day and age. it is a sick sick thing.

July 8, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  15. CaseyJPS

Religion has no place in the military, nor does it have any place in any aspect of our government. One might think our military is using religion as a leveraging point for power and manipulation over those serving in our military. Why does our military and millions of so-called Christians continue to discriminate and judge and condemn people such as Army Specialist Jeremy Hall?

July 8, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

We are taught to respect the traditions of other cultures, but there have to be some concepts that are universal. Honor killings have no place in any culture.

July 8, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Genevieve M, TX

So the guy killed his daughter for "shaming the family"? Seems to me he (the father) is the one who "shamed the family". Especially since now everyone knows that he killed his daughter over her wanting a divorce- something that is not generally considered "a big deal" in this country.

July 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  18. Dawn

David, as always you are brillant. I think we do need to see how the Clinton question unfolds. I think many questions will be answered.

Always enjoy hearing from you.

July 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Linda, Los Angeles

David, I agree with you completely. For someone to be able to work with everyone, they most likely will agree with various sides depending on the issue. I do wonder if he has to work out a resolution with Clinton or some of her supporters. I say that because I really think that she would do anything to elect a Democrat.

July 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Kevin C

Don't the theives know that those ATMs are Lojacked?

July 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  21. Heather

Its very sad that there are people from different countries who flee here to escape certain customs and circumstances in their own country just to have something they were fleeing follow them to a free country where those customs are wrong to do.

July 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  22. James Dylan

There is nothing honorable about arranging a marriage for your daughter and definitely not in killing her. What an archaic belief.

July 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Kiran

The honor killing story is very sad...it makes me really sad because I am a Pakistani and a muslim as well. My parents were born in Pakistan, but I was born and raised in America. It makes me really angry to see people from Pakistan and the Middle East still do honor killings in this day and age. It has nothing to do with Islam either! There is nothing in the Qur'an that allows honor killings. Woman are allowed to choose who they want to marry. Also, if they are unhappy in their marriage, they can take a divorce (it is called "Khulah").

July 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Jolene

David Gergen: I agree with you regarding Obama and how he will work out the whole Hillary question. This will be a true test of his leadership and it will be interesting to watch how he handles it moving forward.

July 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar

I don't like that to kill own his daughter, she wanted out her marriage. what was he thinking??????????? I hope that he have learn his lesson today!

July 8, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Shelley, Washington the State

I think Biden is a good choice for VP as well. I agree with you Greg S.

July 8, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  27. cindy m.

bill richardson would be a great partnership for obama. he's grounded, he has great govt experience and it would unite the dems even more. it also wouldn't divide the republicans as much if they want to vote dem. independents might find bill richardson favorable too.

July 8, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Cynthia

I agree totally with you David G. I hope that they can work something out but they have to know that Senator Obama is no pushover.

July 8, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Minou, New York City

I wish honor killings that are committed every day throughout the world would get more attention!

July 8, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  30. Chelsey - Toronto-Canada

You dont really think about honour killings happening anymore anywhere in the world sicne then have been outlawed in many countries around the world. for it to happen in the western world it really opens your eyes that this still happens not just here but around the world and it must be stopped.

July 8, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  31. Tracey - Boston

Thank you David. I agree very much...If BO and HRC can create a friendly resolution by the convention is will be great.

July 8, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  32. Mike, Syracuse, NY

David, Interesting analysis. Did he do something wrong? Yes, if he made a conscious decision to embrace more centrist positions he doesn't really believe in.

July 8, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  33. Cindy

I can't believe that he killed her just because she wanted a divorce! That is ridiculous!!

Cindy..Ga.

July 8, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Norma

I liked the interview with the girls. They are so cute. Malia looks so much like her daddy.

July 8, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

600,000 acres destroyed!?! Jeez! He is literally driving through the fire. Wow.

July 8, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  36. Saera El Paso, TX

my dad is from paskistan
    he's accepted that my sister and i won't allow him to arrange marriages for either of us

honor killings... those are two words that do not go together

July 8, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  37. jen rose

I really like the interview, with the Obama Family.

July 8, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Hannah Storm

David is always so nice to see you on the blog

July 8, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar

I am so sad for people who lost their 40 homes destroyed due fires. I am glad that police arrested one of his brother. That is so danger job for firefighters in S. California.

July 8, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Joji Staten Island NY

Barak Obama has a nice family and wonderful kids. But to expose them to help get votes is out of the line. Thats my opinion.

July 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Kimberly

I thought the Obama family interview was cute, and the questions couldn't be too tough from Access Hollywood. The children seemed to want to be speaking publicly. If he does become president those children are going to spend four to eight years with the spotlight of the world on them. Why not let them get a little used to it?

July 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Paige

The interview was cute – people need to relax
    no need to pull it into the campaign or overexpose it over analyse it
    they are 10 and 7 !!!

July 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  43. diane lake

Those girls are so cute and adorable. Malia was so charming.
    I think the Obamas have two wonderful girls.

For the person who says Obama is another Carter...Newsflash: Obama is Obama.
    No one can be like anyone else. The are individuals and unique.

July 8, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  44. david gergen

Hello everyone - great to read all your comments. Just to amplify a bit, my sense is that while Barack Obama remains very much a progressive, he and his campaign made a conscious decision that if he were to embrace very position of the left, he would seem like a knee-jerk liberal - just the kind that Republicans have regularly beaten in the past (think McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis). So, without changing his basic progressive orientation, he has recently been emphasizing some "refinements" or nuances that show he is a man of the center-left, not the far left. Naturally, this is upsetting some of his supporters who are farther left - they thought he was one of them - but it is probably a much better path to the White House. And he and his team have to believe that if they win, the country will travel on a far more progressive path than if they lose.

So, is he doing something wrong? If you are a purist, you could accuse him of that. But if you believe - as I do - that he has always in fact been more of a man of the center-left than the far left (read Audacity of Hope, as one viewer said above, and you will see that he is), then it seems unfair to accuse him of being just another standard issue, flip-flopping politician. He still strikes me as much better than that.

His tougher challenge right now, in my judgment, is to work out a friendly resolution on the Hillary Clinton question. We will get a much better sense of his leadership as we watch this one unfold.

July 8, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I thik the interview was so sweet and a very smart move.

July 8, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Janna

Do you remember being a child? Who doesn't want to be famous at that age?They were probably thrilled to FINALLY be involved in a tv interview. Strange choice of shows though. Why not AC 360?

July 8, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Jolene

I didn't see the whole Obama family interview, but from the excerpts shown here tonight, they appear to be a very close family and I thought they were cute, especially picking on Barack like they did. Give the man credit, he was surrounded by females!

July 8, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Gina - Missouri

What was that news crew in CA thinking? To drive into the middle of that fire seems too much for "the story"

July 8, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

i can't even imagine what it would be like to be forced to marry someone. living in america we often forget about the customs of others and it shocks us when we hear about these things. just imagine how many of these killings go on throughout the world.

July 8, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Bill

Obama means so much to me and my family two sons 14 and 15 years of age african americans, for them to witness this happen is truly amazing.

July 8, 2008 at 10:38 pm |