July 8th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/8/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Erica is off tonight but Randi Kaye will be filling in for her on the air and on the blog.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Randi on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Heather

I would much rather vote for someone who has been in my shoes. It shows that they have the knowledge of what the rest of us go through and are willing to listen to us and work with us.

July 8, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Annie

Hi Anderson,

Obama, yes he is AMERICAN enough to be President. His kids are so lovely. Thanks, loved it.

July 8, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Tracey - Boston

Chelsea is at least 15 years older than Obama kids....

July 8, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Jacqui Chan

I can't believe that access hollywood got such an important interview

July 8, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Access Hollywood? I don't think we need celebrity children injected into the campaign.

July 8, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    Barack Obama is the focus of a wide variety of media, from entertainment and style magazines to day to day political coverage. Seeing his family featured seems natural since they are consistently with him on the campaign trail.

July 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Shantee

Most Presidents or Candidates try very hard to keep their children out of it....I think they should keep them safe.

July 8, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  8. James Dylan

I'm an independent and former Clinton supporter. For a time I thought I would vote for Obama if she was the VP but that has past for several reasons. Won't drill for oil, all the flip flopping, and I just don't trust him to do what it takes to get the job done. He reminds me to much of Carter.

July 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Linda, Los Angeles

I think its a cute interview. Light hearted as it was meant to be. Nothing in there to attack.

July 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  10. CaseyJPS

How nice. The Obama's are NORMAL! (Thank God!)

July 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Shannon

Of course the questions were not hard hitting they are 7 and 10 years old.

July 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Lisa

I don't think you can generalize, I was a HUGE Hillary supporter and I will vote for Obama. Not all Hillary supporters are the same.

July 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Fay, CA

Who knows the reasons for the Obama's allowing their kids to speak publicly now, but I'm glad they have–the girls are completely adorable and smart.

July 8, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Hannah Storm

What hard hitting questions would a reporter ask a 10 and 7 year old.....it was a great interview

July 8, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  15. janet

I didn't have a good first impression of Obama, and he still hasn't won me over. I am a Hillary supporter, and would possibly vote for him if he picked her as a v.p. otherwise I may go republican for the first time in my life.

July 8, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Richard

When it comes to who will be the VP candidate, I look at it this way. We do not make that choice until it is time to vote. When it comes to voting, I vote for the person I feel I would invite to dinner at my home. I know most of you had no idea what that process is or even care. However, think about it. If you would not have this person in your home, why would you give them control over your country? If the candidate will not come to your home, then they should not get your vote.

July 8, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Watch out Cindy the people of this area will vote for Obama if Hillary is the VP~I'll vote for him either way

July 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  18. Renee

Using your children for marketing purposes is just wrong! Isn't anything private any more? They are small children.

July 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Cynthia

I didn't vote for Hilliary Clinton but if she had won the nomination I would have voted for her because I am a Democrat.

July 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Cindy

Obama putting his kids in front of the camera after asking the media to stay away from them just shows he will do what ever he has to do to win. They are just pawns.

Cindy...Ga.

July 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Jolene

Interesting concept about Clinton supporters wanting Obama to "woo" them. I wonder exactly what he needs to do to accomplish this.

July 8, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Cynthia

Their was sexism and racism in the campaign.

July 8, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Shannon

Frankly, I don't like Hillary's fund raisers and I think that it is just fine for them to sit home. I think that Obama is going to win on his own platform without caving into their manipulations and games.

July 8, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Kathy, Chicago

If I had liked Obama, I would have voted for him the first time. He hasn't done anything to make me change my mind. I'm not really committed to McCain either.

July 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Cindy

If the women who wanted Hillary to win the nomination still aren't backing Obama I don't think they will.

Cindy...Ga.

July 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar

That is great news for Clinton's support, That is so interesting poll tonight.

July 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  27. Beth Ann

of course obama is shifting to the center, he for sure couldn't move any farther left just check out his voting record as senator he has to move a little center if he wants to become president the majority of americans are center and one would think he would be a lot farther ahead in the polls with all the bush hating, republican hating, and this desire most have for change

July 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  28. Heather

It was only 11 days ago that Hillary did that speech? It definetly doesnt seem like that. Hopefully her supporters will vote Obama.

July 8, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Michelle, Spring Valley,CA

Regardless the kids will be in the spotlight,at least this is on the family's terms.

July 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  30. Cynthia

Those that stay home or vote for McCain will be in the same boat with the rest of us if McCain happens to win – they will suffer along with the rest of us.

July 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  31. Emma

I find it ironic that people think Jindal is too inexperienced to be VP but Obama is ready to be President with his minimal experience.

July 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Lynn, Vancouver

The interview was harmless. The kids enjoyed it and America had a closer look at him. They were spending the day and a birthday together. People and the press are getting silly in their criticism...he is damned if he does and damned if her doesn't.

July 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Christine

It's going to be a looong summer. Please fast forward to November, I can't take anymore politics. Now it's just getting stupid.

Maybe Hillary's supporters realize Obama is not ready to run the country, and being a Democrate does not mean supporting the candidate only because he is a Democrate.

July 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  34. Jacqui Chan

they are such beautiful children; they are a picture perfect first family

July 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  35. CaseyJPS

The whole subject of the Obama kids on TV is just a distraction. FOCUS on the REAL ISSUES!

July 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

His daughters have grown so much in the past 15 months! They are so adorable. See, I like Obama a little more already from seeing him with his kids. And as usual, Obama will benefit from any attacks on his family from the media because he has managed to respond so phenomenally, that it makes the American people just like him more. I loved when he defended his wife. "Lay off my wife." haha. Now that's a husband!

July 8, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Linda, Los Angeles

I like Biden for Obama's VP. I think Clinton would be better in another role. Clinton as VP has too many issues. Bill for example.

July 8, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  38. Dawn

I am really leaning toward Obama but I definitely will not vote for him if Clinton is on the ticket. I think Americans have had enough of them. Call me crazy but would this really be "change?"

July 8, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  39. Shannon

Obama is not exploiting his children and just because they did one interview does not mean that he is sending them out on the trail to stump for him 🙂

July 8, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Mary

Just want to tell all of you that the Hillary Clinton supporters are not going to be convinced to go with Obama if he thinks he can get by with a Hillary supporter with a fly. The Hillary supporters are trying to tell you clearly we want Hillary on the ticket or we don't vote for the Obama ticket.. What part of that do you not understand?

July 8, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  41. CaseyJPS

I want new blood and fresh thinking in the White House. The same old look-a-like white, male candidates continue to plunder our resources, our world relationships, and our integrity as a nation. Just because someone has been around as a professional politician for a long time, does not make them qualified to lead the world to new heights.

July 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Larry

McCain should go with Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, sure he's young but you only have to be 35 to be POTUS.

July 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Jolene

VP selection will probably be what helps me decide a candidate.

Great discussions and panel on VEEP selections. Thanks 360! Always like hearing who's on the short lists....

July 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Jacqueline

Tom,
    though I agree with the first portion of your comment, I do not agree that Richardson is in fact better qualified for the presidency than Obama. Do you say that based on the fact that Richardson has more experience? People have been using that against Obama throughout this whole thing and thus far it hasn't mattered.

July 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Kalayna

McCain and Romey is a good team.

July 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Tiffany

I think it is weird for the media or anyone to attack Obama or McCain's wife and kids. Shouldn't we be focusing on the issues that the presidential candidates stand for?

July 8, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Bill

This election has done alot for my new view on my stance......Im independent now. Still voting for OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

July 8, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Tiffany in Denver

Is he supposed to keep his kids in a sack until November 5th? What is the big deal here?

July 8, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Larry

Yeah, that's the ticket; go with Bill Richardson, he has nothing else going for him.

July 8, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Tom F

I hope that Bobby Jindal is not McCain's choice for VP. He is brilliant and talented, but he is not ready for the big time yet. He could do himself real damage if he makes a run for the White House too soon (think Dan Quayle).

He is doing a great job running Louisiana, let him keep doing that.

July 8, 2008 at 10:23 pm |