July 8th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/8/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Erica is off tonight but Randi Kaye will be filling in for her on the air and on the blog.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Randi on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Norma

Joe L. for VP..that just made me laugh so hard.

July 8, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Kalayna

I like Richardson too, and being from the western states wold benifit Obama. And you right Richardson is much more qualified them Obama

July 8, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I do agree with you to some degree Betty Ann. Hillary Clinton certainly paid her dues and proved she could get millions of votes on her own.

July 8, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Saera El Paso, TX

somehow i think it's more likely that Biden would be obama's pick for Secretary of State, not VP

July 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Dawn

For McCain I like Crist. Can't go with Mitt Romney though. I think the young guys are good choices. Guessing the VPs are the only fun part of this process (so far).

July 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

McCain will definitely get a young, independent and/or conservative, economically savvy VP. He needs a VP with a grocery list of skills to make up for his faults, unfortunately.

July 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Amina TN

@ kit
    you are right it actually shows the politician's soft side.

July 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Craig-IL

I didn't want Hillary as VP at first- but I think he can ride the democratic excitment over the dream team. I have changed my perspective on this and Now think it is his best shot. Too much damage has been doen from a close fight. This will heal it without too much work.

Craig

July 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Obama has kept his kids off limits, and rightly so. Now he trots them out for an interview. If this isn't for political gain nothing is.

July 8, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

I don't know if McCain will pick VP all men to choose running mates.

July 8, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Shannon

I think McCain should choose Lieberman. That would be a great ticket 🙂

July 8, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Tom F

Richardson would be an excellent choice for VP; he has both foreign policy cred and experience governing. He is actually better qualified for the presidency than Obama.

July 8, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Heather

Im kinda mixed on the whole subject of Obama showing his kids on tv because if you look, we have had many presidents show their families while campaigning. At the same time, they didnt have the nastiness of the campaigns that we have now, so I can see why that would be a bad idea.

July 8, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Teresa, Oh

I thought the Obama family was absolutely lovely. I hope the media doesnt think it is open season on the kids.

July 8, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  15. Kalayna

I like John Edwards for Obamas VP,

July 8, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  16. Kit

every candidate introduces their family to the public. obama is no different and he should not be condemned for letting his kids speak to the press.

July 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  17. Greg S. in Chicago

I have always thought Biden would be an outstanding choice. That said, have any polls been done to see if the Hilary "Hold-outs" would vote for Obama if he selected her for VP? If I were him, I wouldn't want to assume their allegiance if he selects her, and then find out that it "wasn't enough."

July 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Shannon

On another show I saw the interviewer of the kids talking about how the interview came about. It really isn't some evil plot to exploit his children. You all need to chill out.

July 8, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Well i am still hoping for Hillary as VP. Call me silly but I think she could pull in the votes.

July 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  20. jen rose

Do you think that Barack Obama will end up – having to ask Hillary to run for Vice President?

July 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  21. Hannah Storm

Chelsea was out there and she was not "fair game". I think that the Obama's wanted to have a controlled setting where America could get a chance to see Malia and Sasha. I doubt they well be interviews constantly. I watched the interview and the girls were just so adorable. Very smart and well spoken (even Sasha when she did talk)

I heard earlier on CNN that the girls wanted to be on Access Hollywood because the Jonas Brothers were on there.....they are just normal girls

July 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  22. Bonnie/St. Louis

Boo on Bill Richardson–Biden would be good

July 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Kathy, Chicago

The VP chatter is getting interesting. I like the B's. Interesting talk about the Clintons, also.

July 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

i also agree about obama asking for it by putting his kids on display. i understand he wants to show he is a family man, but some journalists (i use the word loosely) will use it and attack him for it.

July 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  25. kim-chicago

Obama has said from the beginning he would be as "careful" getting out as we were "careless" getting in...I think that is a responsible position.

July 8, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Cindy

Jes...I totally agree! Obama is just the same ole same ole!

Cindy...Ga.

July 8, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  27. Jacqueline

Obama is not "flip-flopping," people change their minds. He hasn't changed his opinion drastically, he still wants to end the war. So who cares?

July 8, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Dawn

I like Bill Richardson too!!

July 8, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar

I like to pick VP maybe Hillary Clinton on the ticket, But I think pick Vp Richardson will do it.

July 8, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Chelsey - Toronto-Canada

Kalayna i have to agree with you. by him putting his kids infront of a camera he is just asking for more personal attacks on himself his wife and now his kids.

July 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  31. Cindy

I don't see Hillary being his VP. I think Richardson.

Cindy..Ga.

July 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  32. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

shannon– i agree. i think bill richardson will be a great vp

July 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  33. Gina - Missouri

I liked seeing Obama with his family, they seemed very normal

July 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  34. James Dylan

David Gergen's got it right. Clinton and everyone else. No matter who he chooses it isn't going to make any difference if it isn't Clinton.

July 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  35. Lisa

I'd like if Obama picked Biden or Richardson. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

July 8, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Cynthia

The Clinton people have to already know to bring some you have to be ready to take some.

July 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Kevin C

It will be a bad idea if Obama picks another Senator as a Vice President. That would put two legislators used to constant and endless compromise on the ticket, and no one with executive experience.

July 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Norma

This trying to guess who Obama or McSame VP is going to be is giving me a big headache. Stop trying to guess.

July 8, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  39. Dawn

I was sorry to read that Jim Webb withdrew his name from the Obama VP list. What a great military asset that would have been.

July 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  40. jes

Obamas true colors are starting to show & it's not pretty. Time to bring out the kids! Obama is a genuine politician.

July 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  41. Joy in NY

well when obama does become president, he will be the president of those on the left, right and center, so i dont see any problem with him appealing to more people

July 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  42. CaseyJPS

Mike, Syracuse>I think Obama is far from being the "most liberal Senator in the Senate." He's showing that by supporting ideas on both sides of the aisle.

July 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Greg S. in Chicago

It does seem like Obama only flipped on one issue – the other issues seem to be more clarification of his previous positions – but I guess time will tell. What I don't understand, though, is doesn't McCain run a big risk of pushing this issue, when there are at least 3 things he flipped on since he announced his candidacy? Why do you think the media is giving so much more attention to Obama's "flip"?

July 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Chike Eze

Mercy killings huh... there are some things that must be dropped even if it is a long time cultural tradition. "THOU SHALT NOT KILL" its that simple.

July 8, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Kalayna

If Obama puts his kids out there, then they are free game too, thats ashame that the Obama as paents would do that. Does that mean he will DO ANYTHING

July 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  46. Shannon

I like Bill Richardson for VP.

July 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  47. andersoncnn

evening everyone.. busy night here.

July 8, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  48. Kit

i don't think the candidates should run a "character based" campaign. This election should be about the issues!

July 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Cynthia

Both candidates have changed about where they stand on an issue. You just have to determne what is more important to you.

July 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  50. Cindy

Larry...Obama is running on "change" but when he moves into the same realm as McCain how much change is he really going to do!? They both are running to th middle.

Cindy..Ga.