July 8th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/8/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Erica is off tonight but Randi Kaye will be filling in for her on the air and on the blog.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Randi on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dawn

Both candidates change position (I hate the phrase flip flopping). I think Obama does need to be careful regarding the war in Iraq. This is a very sensitive subject. He can't do the "holier than thou" thing and make big promises that he might not be able to keep.

July 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Linda, Los Angeles

Obama has not changed his position on Iraq and McCain cannot tak baout someone being a flip flopper when he is willing to vote against his own bill.

July 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  3. Lynn, Vancouver

Obama has to put an end to the "elitist image that first Clinton and now McCain has tried to paint him as. Seeing him with his family is a way of doing this. It was a harmless interview that made me smile and certainly saw him in a loving family role.

July 8, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Shannon

It is obvious those that don't know Obama and do not want to vote for him will believe whatever spin comes out of the McCain campaign. As for us that have heard what he has said, do not believe him to be flipping. Thus why he is leading in the polls.

July 8, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The difference between Obama and McCain both going for the center is that McCain has always been there, and it's uncharted territory for the most liberal Senator in the Senate.

July 8, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  6. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

i am anxious to hear about the vp candidates. i am interested in who david thinks the candidates will choose.

July 8, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  7. Kit

I can't wait to hear the Obama family interview. His kids are adorable and definetely an asset to him. He should show them off more often.

July 8, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Brandon, many of the things Obama has flopped on have only been since winning the nomination. most have no 'new' information.

July 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Ben L.

John McCain is also non-ideological. The question is who is more of a maverick, and not a flip-flopper, and the answer is John McCain.

July 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  10. James Dylan

What else can we do but analyse Obama's words. He hasn't been around long enough to actually DO anything. So alls he has is words.

July 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  11. CaseyJPS

I like the idea of a "character-based" campaign. I'm much more interested in the character and integrity of a candidate (if we can even get integrity on the table for anyone running for office).

July 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  12. Shannon

Iraqi's even want Obama to win! We should have a timetable.

July 8, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Tiffany in Denver

Already with the Obama flip, flopping. I don't think I can last until November.

July 8, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  14. Larry

Obama can say whatever he wants; his platform is 'CHANGE' so he can change his mind when he feels like it.

July 8, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Tracey - Boston

I consider myself a democrat but there are republican issues I like, not many.

I've been asked what kind of music do you like? I say all kinds. "Oh, you are one of those"......you mean well-rounded.??

Floating to the center isn't necessarily a bad thing.

July 8, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  16. Shannon

I think the only thing that he has moved on is Fisa, but who cares about Public Financing. Not me?

July 8, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  17. Brandon

David Gergen.
    Obama stands for America, not for the Democrats or Republicans. Of course he's shifting a bit! New fact must alter your opinion, and he would seem stubborn to stay in one spot.

July 8, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Kalayna

Why would anyone think that the promses they make during the primaries, would cary though to the nomination.

July 8, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  19. Cindy

Obama did change on Iraq. He 1st said he'd take the troops out as soon as he got in office. He never once said he'd do it slowly.

Cindy...Ga.

July 8, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  20. CaseyJPS

Obama is pragmatic, if nothing else. I can more easily trust a leader who works with ideas from traditionally conservative as well as traditionally liberal sides of the fence. This is a good thing and shows an open mind and open thinking.

July 8, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  21. Lisa

McCain has flip-flopped as well. I don't always see that as a bad thing. Their ideas have to grow and change as they do. Neither one seems to be going back on their beliefs that badly. I wish they'd both lay off that label.

July 8, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  22. Ann E (NC)

It sounds like too many people are over analyzing the candidates' words...

July 8, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Shannon

I respectfully disagree with David Gergen. Obama has written about abortion, guns, child rapists in his last book. He is a center candidate.

July 8, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Stacy

But has Obama ever been an ideological man of the left? I don't think he has. So why is everyone going crazy over this?

July 8, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  25. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Let's see, FISA, gun control, NAFTA, Iraq, Wright, his church, the list of flip flops grows each day.

July 8, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  26. Kit

the honor killings are horrible, but its even worse to consider that there are some countries where the fathers aren't prosecuted.

July 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  27. Cynthia

I remember Senator Obama saying back in the primaries that he would bring them out as careful as they were careless of going into Iraq

July 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  28. Wendy Canada

Hey Anderson. I really don't think Obama has changed his position on Iraq. He has always said he would be "as careful getting out as Bush was getting in to the War" Sounds like he is going to make sure the troops get home safely which is a good thing.

July 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  29. Heather

If anyone is a flip-flopper its definetly McCain. He cant decide what he is for.

July 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  30. CaseyJPS

If we pull out of Iraq, as we have been requested, McCain is dead in the water. He already admitted the economy is not his strong suit. He needs this "war" to get elected.

July 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Cindy

It seems to me that Obama has changed his mind on things. He can say it is because he learned more about the subject but I think it is to just get more votes.

Cindy...Ga.

July 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Kit

I'm so dissapointed that Obama changed his position on warentless wire tapping. I still can't believe he did that.

July 8, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Norma Y. El Paso, TX

The same can be said about McCain. Why don't we hear about flip flopping from McCain??

July 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

McCain camp is desperately trying to display Obama as a flip-flopper. I don't see such thing! McCain, however, is flip floppin like it's in style!

July 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Kyle from NE

Good evening Anderson and all of my fellow bloggers. I think the story of the "honor" killing is horrible. I'm glad they are pressing charges against the father.

July 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hello Anderson and bloggers. Obama moving to the middle? You betcha !

July 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Kalayna

so Obama is putting his kids out there to get votes for him. Has he lost his mind?

July 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

honor killings~there are lots of issues in th world in regard to human rights we need to address. PEACE!

July 8, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  39. CaseyJPS

Greetings from America's Desert Playground Bloggers! Looking forward to the most nightly hour of fun!

July 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar

I agree with you Cindy in Ga....
    I agree with her, she wanted get out her marriage.

July 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

What's wrong with being in the middle or center. I think to suggest it's not a good place to be, is not wise.

July 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Sarah

Hey Anderson and Randi...

Looking forward to the Obama family interview.

-Sarah

July 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Shannon

I agree with Obama those that think he is shifting to the center haven't listened to him. He has said the same thing about Iraq for the last 18 months.

July 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Heather

Happy Tuesday everyone. Sounds like its going to be a busy night!

July 8, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Hi Bloggers!
    Once again, another father allegedly kills because of "honor." So sad.

July 8, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Cindy

Hey Anderson and Randi...

I'm really looking forward to the honor killing story. It's been all over the news here. I can't believe one has happened in Georgia!

Cindy...Ga.

July 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Ann E (NC)

Good evening Anderson and everyone else!

Tonight's show sounds like it'll be great (as always). The ideas of "honor killings" and arranged marriages don't settle well with me anyways so it'll be interesting to hear the story on it. The running mate "race" just gets better and better too... I'm excited for the wildfire piece too... those things just seem worse and worse every year!

This should be interesting....
    -Ann-

July 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Hannah Storm

sounds like a great show tonight

July 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Hellooooo Anderson, Randi, and best bloggers!!!!!!
    I am so sad for his daughter, I never heard that before to "honor kill" Not good idea to kill own his daughter. I hope that he will stay in jail right now.

July 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Tracey - Boston

Hey Anderson & Randi,

Obama moving to the center, honor killings and atheists don't ask don't tell....oh my

July 8, 2008 at 10:00 pm |