July 7th, 2008

TONIGHT: Atheist soldier's suit

A soldier's life threatened, his career ruined. He says it's because he's an atheist. Is the military now a Christian organization? Tonight, 10 ET

JOIN:
LIVE BLOG Weeknights 10p ET

WATCH: Our Studio Webcam 9:45p-11p ET

Filed under: On TV
  1. Church Lady

It's not happening to just atheists – it's to anyone who is even the 'wrong' kind of Christian or even evangelical. If the military dictates what you can believe, then why even bother with a constitution – they've already killed it. People with the kind of mindset as these military missionaries are not just politically wrong, they are theologically wrong, constitutionally wrong, and dangerous to the American way of life.

July 7, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  2. Samuel Erb

I really get annoyed when others feel that they have to shove their religion down my throat. I find it disgusting that the media, politicians, and everyday people have forgotten their basic American history lessons. The church has no business in public realms and should be kept in private. The first amendment to the United States Constitution dictates the separation of church and state as well as many of Jefferson's letters. I myself am an atheist and participate in "discussions" with self professed born again christians everyday. How can you make laws and arguments predicated on something that was made up by men in a time when there was nothing good to hope for. So, they created a mythical being and created the largest cult the world has ever known. I sincerely hope that this brave American wins his suit and wins a large enough sum to live in quiet without having doing anything the rest of his life.

July 7, 2008 at 6:49 pm |
  3. Ray

Hooray for this young soldier–he is a hero who truly understands what religious freedom is about. I am an officer and have been on active duty for over 22 years and I am an atheist. I don't go around proclaiming that, but when it comes time for the inevitable prayer at almost every military ceremony, almost invariably overtly christian in nature, I just don't participate (usually I am the only one whose head is unbowed). I don't know of a single senior leader in any branch of service who openly admits to being an atheist–doing so could damage one's career. In the past being too strongly religious could also be damaging to one's career. That has changed now.

July 7, 2008 at 6:22 pm |
  4. Allison Grover

Too often in this country, someone is considered "brave" for coming out of the closet and admitting they are atheist. The separation of church and state is part of what makes this country UNIQUE and great in the world, it is what immigrants search for as they flee from their own countries, flee from religious persecution.
    As a fellow atheist living in very liberal Seattle, I was shocked at the response my "Proud to be Atheist" bumper sticker provoked from others – so many thought I was "brave" to be so open about my lack of "belief". And yet, bravery had nothing to do with it. I am just a frustrated soccer mom tired of the religious right's role in our everyday lives. I just want to let others know that Atheism is nothing to be ashamed of. I'm not a devil worshipper, I just don't believe in God (or the devil for that matter). Why is that so scary to people? Religion used to be a private matter, apparently it's not anymore.
    Specialist Hall is not a "brave" man, he is doing what is right. He is trying to do his job for our country. Since 911 it seems that being a "patriotic" person is symbiotic with christianity. This man is more patriotic than most, with 2 tours in Iraq, I want to thank him for his service, and am mortified that anyone would refuse him a promotion because of his "lack of belief". Yes, the armed forces have made christianity = patriotism.
    I ask that all who don't believe in a god to stand up and be counted. It is time we had a voice too.

July 7, 2008 at 4:11 pm |
  5. Andy

I absolutely believe this kind of thing is happening to athiests in the military. It happens in normal every day life, so saying it does not happen in the military is like Iran's leader saying they don't have homosexuals. It is sad that so many people feel they have a right to push their religion on others, whatever it is.

July 7, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  6. Denny

Being an athiest myself, I feel that religion in this country is taking over in too many places. It should be left in private or at places of worship. If a person is athiest and believes in fighting for their country, then who says they cannot? I for one believe that there are certain reasons for fighting for what you believe in.

July 7, 2008 at 2:39 pm |