July 7th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/7/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Maureen T

Great show Andy! Just what I needed for Monday night! Until tomorrow.

July 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Ann E

I agree mollie... how can meds like that be good for such a young person in the long run?

July 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Kelli, SF

As the wife of a CalFire Fighter, the Curtis brothers just wasted valuable time and resources that could have been used elsewhere. They need to be held accountable by paying for all the time and energy that the state spent making sure their "protecting" had a positive outcome.

July 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Erica

There's a great little Australian movie titled "Danny Deckchair" where a guy flies off after tying balloons to a lawn chair.

July 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Kyle from NE

@Heather – I won't go so far as to say they should be awarded anything. They took a calculated risk and it paid off. Like one of the other commentors said, it could have gone wrong and caused more work for the fireman.

July 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  6. CaseyJPS

Michell, Spring Valley, CA>Let's THANK the brothers for their courage and using their heads. They knew what they were doing. You could argue the same points even if firefighters had lit the backfire. There are no guarantees.

July 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Kay

Mr. Gergen, I cannot tell you how pleased I am that you comment here. I know you teach classes at Harvard Kennedy School, but because I'll never be able to take it, getting a little taste of what you know on the news as well as from your books, and now your blog comments- well, it's simply got me giddy!
    Maybe one day you could podcast your lectures? Just a thought!

July 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  8. mollie

i think 8 is a little young for cholesterol med.
    though when i was 13 i was diagnosed with high blood pressure and took medicine for a year. i exercise now and i'm fine.
    i say just stop feeding your kids junk food and get them outdoors and you shouldn't need medicine.

July 7, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  9. MaryBeth

What was the first named storm then? I don't remember hearing about one.

July 7, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Shea, North Carolina

I think if C-Rod really wanted to make it work she could have forgiven him and moved on with their lives. Easier said than done I know but it can happen.

July 7, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Helen in Minneapolis

Hello Anderson,
    this is my first blogging here with you during "360" – very good show tonight.

July 7, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

what is this world coming to with "Beer Pong' and putting children on cholesterol drugs?!

July 7, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Vickie

Lesson here Don't start your own back fire. I understand why they did it and I'm glad that it went well but look at the officials position. What if someone got hurt.

July 7, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Kevin Carr

Hope the brother gets off the arrest.

July 7, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Heather

I appluad these brothers for protecting their home like they did. They saved their home and a few others. The one brother was a fireman so he knew exactly what to do and it worked.

July 7, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Michelle, Spring Valley,CA

I think they were incredibly lucky with that backfire! What if it they weren't?

July 7, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

We here in Santa Barbara area are holding our breath. We expect hot temps and that's not what the Gap fire needs. The smoke is bad and people are on edge on what the rest of the week will bring.

July 7, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Stacy

David Gergen, I completely agree. We need a lot more substance in this campaign . . .from everyone.

July 7, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  19. EJ (USA)

Gina.. its the first hurricane.. its not the first named storm.

Anderson beat me to it!

July 7, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  20. CaseyJPS

These guys not only saved their home and a village, they saved the government major bucks (and possibly endagerment of firefighter lives). To Mike Dietrich...but nothing wrong happened, so stop making up scenarios and just say THANK YOU!

July 7, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  21. Tricia S-Pittsburgh

Hi Anderson!
    I'm offically converted...no more Greta, only you at 10am.
    Thanks for all the great reporting, keep it up 🙂

July 7, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Cindy

The Curtis brothers should be arrested! The fire they started could have gotten out of control and caused more work for the firefighters.

Cindy...Ga.

July 7, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  23. jim dieter

Remember Arod is a baseball player not a saint. I think its there own business and lets move on.

July 7, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  24. andersoncnn

Gina.. its the first hurricane.. its not the first named storm.

July 7, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Sharmel

Anderson.. you did a great job this weekend. You are working all the time, and the effort is showing up in your work...
    My heart goes out to the former hostages.. I saw most of the press conference this afternoon. And when Mr. Gonsalves spoke -especially- the pain was so apparent in his eyes. I hope they all get the time to heal that is needed.

July 7, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Thanks Teresa!

I honestly can't blame the man in Cali for trying to save his home. Firefighters at this point are fighting what seems to be a losing battle. They must be absolutely exhausted.

July 7, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  27. Minou, New York City

All drugs have side effects. Cholesterol lowering drugs are liver damaging! (thus the commercials always say: do not use if you have a liver problem)
    Putting children on drugs is insane! Feed them organic foods and learn about nutrition and try home remedies first before you pump them and yourself full with drugs.

July 7, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Olivia, Oceanside, CA

Hi Anderson,
    I'm a huge fan of you and your show! Thanks for the sacrifices you make everyday to bring us the news. Also my first time blogging! Great show tonight!

July 7, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  29. andersoncnn

I know im skeptical of this whole divorce story... seems like a lot of rumor and innuendo and people with agendas.

And i agree the idea that she lured him with Kabbalah just sounds ridiculous.

July 7, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

WHOA! Cholesterol drugs for kids? What's next? We really are a pill-popping society. Is this really a good thing to teach kids? Just take a pill and everything will be OK? YIKES!!

July 7, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar

Happy Anniversary! Kimether......
    hope you have good time! Congrats!

July 7, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  32. Ann E

@ Kendra

That would be interesting.... and I agree, I'm having the same problem. Although I'm not able to vote, I like to think that the nation I live in will be led by someone I support.

And let's all cross our fingers that Bertha doesn't decide to hit the coast!! (it doesn't look like it will, but you never know...)

July 7, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Maureen T

Let's hope Bertha is not big and bad!

July 7, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

i forgot, but when is hurricane season?

July 7, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Katina

With all the fires, tornados, flooding (I'm in Indiana, surrounded by flooded counties), I forgot about hurricane season. I hope that the hurricanes will take pity on the US this year and not cause too much trouble.

July 7, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Heather

Hopefully this hurricane doesnt get any bigger and stays away from the U.S.

July 7, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Kendra, I agree. I just would love to have a government that worked together regardless of any party lines.

July 7, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Gina - Missouri

If Bertha is the 1st named storm, what happened to the "A" named storm?

July 7, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar

Wow! hurricane Bertha is on the way to ( islands) Atlantic ocean first time season! That will be so scary!

July 7, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  40. david gergen

Hello every– Thanks for all the messages you are posting; they make for great reading.

On candidates, really glad that both are turning more seriously to the economy because many Americans going thru wrenching changes now and the Bush administration is practically AWOL. The stimulus package hasn't stopped the slide, housing prices are still sinking, and experts are talking about the possibility of $6 a gallon for gas before the end of the year.

Even as the candidates give their speeches, however, they still haven't shown us whether their numbers add up and how they are going to pay for massive tax cuts (McCain) or massive new spending (Obama). Promises are great - but I would like to see their budgets.

In the meantime, I hope you had a great 4th - and we can all celebrate what appears to be an heroic rescue in Colombia.

July 7, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Jacqueline

I wouldn't know how to react if I were one of the hostages that were freed. I mean, after five years of captivity, I'm not sure if I'd believe it.

July 7, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  42. MaryBeth

Madonna has been practicing Kabbalah for many years, before anyone else knew what it was. The idea that Kabbalah lured A-Rod away from his wife is ridiculous. He cheated on her. What's she supposed to do? Accept it?

July 7, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Norma

I wonder if in a few days we will be called the hurricane BIG BERTHA.

July 7, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Teresa, Oh

@Kimether: congrats on your first anniversary! May you succeed where 50% of us failed.

July 7, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  45. Shannon

I don't understand why Brinkley wants this public. It is really strange to want to subject your children to their parents mess.

July 7, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  46. jim dieter

Anderson,
    Have a good show
    My first time blogging.

July 7, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Thanks Anderson! You've totally just made my day. My husband thanks you too 🙂

July 7, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Matt(Gainesville, FL)

Ha ha... Ann me too... Anderson is that good... however I hope they don't start charging us $3.99 a minute for reading our minds!

July 7, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  49. Kendra Crewe

In this year's presidential race, I strongly like neither of the candidates, finding myself being torn from being a republican or democrat. Imagine how lovely our country would be if the two parties combined their ideas.

July 7, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  50. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

From the name, I can tell Hurricane Bertha is gonna be nothin to mess with!

July 7, 2008 at 10:42 pm |