July 7th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/7/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Randi Kaye always has good juicy info~

July 7, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Cynthia

I agree Spencer, McCain has flip flopped so much until I'm not sure where he stands on the issues. It also bothers me that he keeps talking about the gas tax holiday when economists have said that it is not a good idea and probably would be passed on to the consumer on the other end

July 7, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Greg S. in Chicago

It disgusts me that Tony Perkins and crew are going to go down the same path they did the last two elections – painting the Democrat as an abortion-loving candidate. Unfortunately, it worked the last two times, and you see what we got. If people fall for it again, I'll have no sympathy for their cries about how bad off we are as a nation.

July 7, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Phil Marcus

When you smile sweetly at a client (or an interview guest if you are on TV) who is acting like a jerk, are you being a hypocrite or flip flopper. Or are you doing what your job requires you do to keep it?

Obama and McCain are trying out for a job and are both shifting their feet a bit to accommodate the client, the American people. They should be, because being president is mostly leading in the direction the led want to go. So let us cut them both some slack, even if we are on the hard left or hard right, and don't like it. Because we will like it if our guy wins.

July 7, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Jacqui Chan

Okay Anderson, I was in the other room when you went to break and it sounded like you said "Madonna".
    I am hoping I am wrong, if there is anything more pathetic than celebrity gossip it's Madonna drama
    please say it ain't so

July 7, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Jose

I like Senator McCain. He doesn't flip flop on issues and he will be a President for all the people not just the liberal wing of the democratic party.

July 7, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Jo Anne Cummings

I think letting McCain be "a regular guy" may not be enough in these times. We need a definite course of action, although I am not sure Obama can deliver either.....what a scary choice!!!!!

July 7, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Ann E

Does anyone else think that the thing with the nose of the airplane is just plain weird? How did that happen????

July 7, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Robin

We have a difficult choice here. I am not excited about either of the candidates. McCain is too old; Obama is too young. I realize this statement sounds simplistic, but it reflects my view and the views of many others. We must consider the positions of the parties. The Republicans have proved a disaster over the last eight years; it's time to give the Democrats a chance.

July 7, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar

Hi Randi Kaye!
    Nice see to you tonight! hope you have good weekend!

July 7, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  11. MaryBeth

Jan: I could too!!! $4M would be quite enough to live on.

July 7, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  12. David, Indiana

I agree with David Gergen, Sen Obama has to go for the center, not run so much as a liberal. Also, he needs to pick up centrist Sen. Clinton supporters. McCain does well when he's actually facing off against Obama. That's when the campaign moves forward. It's hard to get through the media thicket.

July 7, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Kevin Carr

Amen Shamar. In my opionion same for McCain's change on drilling for oil and tax cuts. Clearly an evolution in though based on previous beliefs.

Can't have a panel discussion without trumped up discrepancy tho.

July 7, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Ahh, let Obama flip~flop. He will learn and do the right thing in the end. His heart is in the right place`

July 7, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  15. CaseyJPS

Shamar>
    "The media should stop trying to play I caught you and provide some serious depth of discussion to his positions."

Absolutely right!!!

July 7, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  16. spencer

I do not understand all of the scrutiny of Obama for altering his positions when John Mc Cain Does 180s without anyone commenting

July 7, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  17. connie stromer

I thought the purpose of an election was to let the voters understand what the people running for office stand for. It seems from tonights program that the whole deal is to pretend to stand for whatever someone tells the candidate the "people" want to hear. I'm very disappointed.

July 7, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  18. MaryBeth

This hostage recovery is just amazing. It was a big risk, so many things could have gone wrong. But the end result is definately worth it. Kudos to the Colombian president and military for a stunning operation that will go down in history.

July 7, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Katina

Maybe I haven't thought this through enough, but I would rather have a candidate who is more in the middle than one who sticks to one side. I feel that we have a president right now who is very stuck in his ideas and is unable to see other views, therefore does not adapt to new/different ideas. I'm afraid that if we have two candidates who are stuck in their ways, we might end up with another unpopular president.

July 7, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Vickie

On Tony's comment, I believe that as the campaign goes on , Obama might not gain new supporters, notice I didn't say lose supporters.

July 7, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Lindsay

Who cares about A-Rod and his wife. Sad to see yet another marriage breakup but really.....

July 7, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Jolene

How can McCain compete with Obama when it comes to speeches? I agree...to try to change McCain to act younger and more energetic when he's at the podium will turn more people off than on. It will come off as staged and fake.

July 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  23. CaseyJPS

I think McCain is dead in the water without a war to manager (and his ability to tout how good he would be at managing a war). Pardon me.. I mean an occupation, not a war.

July 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Sahira

Hey Anderson,

This is my first time on the blog....Okay, Just Kidding!

I read the article too about McCain having difficulty reading the teleprompter, and to me it seemed as that is a good thing too.

July 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Shamar

Obama flip-flop? Please...Not allowing for evulotion of thought is the reason we ended up with an idiot in the White House for the past seven years. The media should stop trying to play I caught you and provide some serious depth of discussion to his positions.

July 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Ann E

And I completely agree with Anderson! McCain's campaign is working way too hard to make him seem like someone else, but compared to what Obama is able to do as the younger candidate, will it make any difference?

July 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Matt(Gainesville, FL)

Anderson, you are right! McCain is awkward when he reads his speeches. However I was at a town hall meeting during the primary, and when he focuses on 3 or 4 core issues and talks to the voters you can see the difference in the room! He needs to this X 10 now in the general election!

July 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Martin

How can McCain be a successful president if he cannot organize his own campaign!! This show the lack of leadership and discipline!!

July 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Cindy

I think McCain needs to be himself and stop trying to please everyone. He is losing who he is.

Cindy..Ga.

July 7, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Heather

I think that at this time, it would be a good idea for Obama to be close to the middle considering there are people out there who still want another Bush in office and others who want a total change. There has to be some happy median in the middle in order to get everyone to vote Obama in office.

July 7, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  31. Amina TN

what is wrong with being a liberal? whats wrong with being the most liberal senator in the senate? he is not just moving to the center but he is really shifting to the right a bit. i for one will like to see two DIFFERENT candidates.

whats with the politcal makeovers? what ever happened to what you see is what you get. are people that desperat that thery are willing to put on a fake face inorder to get some votes...

July 7, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Lisa in Miami

Anderson, you're right, McCain is awkward, but I don't want an awkward president that can't stay focused on topic, is old, stiff, and not articulate.

July 7, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Dee Stevens

Interesting debate tonight AC.

July 7, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Kurt

Yes, Jennifer, McCain must get in touch with American's, and he does. He needs to do more. . Obama has done that; he has been able to affect people that feel disenfranchised.

July 7, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Jan

If I make 10 million a year and the government takes 60% to pay for the things needed in this country, and to take care of our citizens and soldiers. That still leaves me 4 million a year, 11000.00 a day. I can live on that!

July 7, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Jill 1

David Gergen, you rock! I always respect your opinion, even when I (very rarely) disagree. Thanks for your level-headed political opions.

July 7, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  37. cindy m.

Hi David Gergen & Anderson,
    The candidate prez issues are looking sooo good for Obama. McCain is McBush. We know all about McCain. We know his record and McCain's record isn't changing just because he now wants to be prez. He's OLD and his process is going to be OLD and worn out.

July 7, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Byron

Sen. Obama is doing what any sensible person does. The more you are informed on issued the better your decision making comes. Sometimes you have to split an issue into more than just 2 parts (yes or no). A lot of issues today aren't cut and dry (in favor of or not). He has shown just because this is my believe doesn't mean it is all or nothing. Finding the middle ground is an essential ground for a leader looking to rebound this country in the correct direction here and overseas.

July 7, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Kyle from NE

@ Mechelle Oklahoma, *clap* I agree 100%. No one likes to be left out but at the same time you can't make everyone happy. There are policies I don't like from either camp at this point, but I want to see if they modify these policies to be more inline with my personal view.

July 7, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  40. CaseyJPS

It is perfectly normal for anyone to change his or her mind–especially if they have an open mind to open dialogue among all sides of the issues. We need a dynamic leader. The world changes day-to-day. It's ridiculous to want to vote for someone who will stick their head in the sand and not budge in their opinion–they need to flex with their constiituents (us)!

July 7, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Tanay

I was wondering what the US has done after all these years to help free the hostages. The US knew they were taken captive, and they were held for 6 years, but I personally haven't heard any publicity on the hostages or what methods the US had to get them out. After all this, it was the French government who helped the Colombian military pull off this daring rescue.

July 7, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Kaye, McCain said he will freeze domestic spending for a year to allow revenues catch up to spending.

July 7, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Shannon

Obama has written books about faith based programs in government. This is not a shift in policy or position. This is who he is.

July 7, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Greg

Niether can do anything without raising taxes, i just want to know that the wealthy are doing their part. At least Obama will make that happen

July 7, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Michele

I think that Obama is starting to move in a direction that will not shock his supporters should he become President. Each day there is a flip flop, is he just now starting to show what he is made of?
    Wake up, there are more shifts to come.

July 7, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hi everyone from Texas!
    I believe that Obama will win and McCain will face an Obama~Nation!

July 7, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  47. John Michael

If you like the few dollars left in your pocket, get ready for only CHANGE with Obama.

July 7, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar

Lorie Ann in Ca.
    I agree with you too, I need Obama to win anytime!

July 7, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Cynthia

Senator Obama said in one of his speeches that he would be as careful coming out as they were careless going into Iraq.

July 7, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  50. CaseyJPS

I think Obama's abortion stance will work in his favor. Another news program reported significant (positive) changes in polling among women after his position was made clear.

July 7, 2008 at 10:16 pm |