July 2nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/2/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. andersoncnn

good evening everyone.. sorry.. as you can tell things are changing a lot, and we are kind of rolling with it.. so cant blog too much.

July 2, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Negotiations didn't free these hostages Bill Richardson. Action did. I'm sure the hostages are glad that they aren't just talking and did something.

July 2, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Susan - North Haven,CT

Gov. Richardson should be applauded for his efforts to get our hostages released. He tried to help the families when no one else would. KUDOS to you too, BILL 🙂

July 2, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  4. MaryBeth

It's definitely a day to be proud to be Colombian. To all the Colombians who have posted tonight congratulations on an awesome military operation and proof that your government is succeeding against FARC and might one day prevail and Colombia will be a free and democratic country.

July 2, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  5. Cindy

I wonder since the FARC are in such bad disarray if they will try to make a deal with the Colombian government to be a part of them and give up all the rest of the hostages?

Cindy...Ga.

July 2, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  6. David-North Carolina

hey everyone,
    i just have to say that this show alone is the best news show ever. anderson is a proffesional reporter and his stories are truly fascinating. and erica hill does a oustanding job as well...even though anderson didnt enjoy the wii for his birthday.... : )

but onto the main story...what a great day for america with the succesful rescue of hostages in colombia. i believe personally that this FARC organization should be investigated more. they obviously (even though weakened) are a force that needs to be seized by colombian governments. anyone's thoughts???...

July 2, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Bev Crawford

Wow Anderson what incredibly good news...I can only imagine what these 3 Hostages and their families are feeling, God bless them all.
    Hats off to the rescuers they can truly be proud.
    WHAT A JULY THE 4th !!

July 2, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Shelley, Washington the State

This is my first time on the blog. My name is Shelley. Thanks Anderson for bringing us thought provoking stories. This story on the hostages being freed is amazing. Thanks for covering this story as Americans we should hear their story of their captivity, and rejoice with them for their new freedom gained today.

July 2, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  9. miguel gonzales

Today is truly a historic day, but i am so disappionted in the attempt by some people including members of the press and the US government representatives to overstate the role of the US in the operation and downplay the fantastic planning and execution of the Colombian army.

July 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Joy

I think the joy seen on the face of Betancourt and experienced by the families of the three Americans, and no doubt by the released hostages themselves must be too good to be true.

July 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

can you believe no shots were fired? that is also very amazing!

July 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Julian - Hialeah, FL

As a Colombian-American today is an amazing day. Its historical and a day Colombia won't ever forget and 3 American families won't either. Its a story thats almost hard to believe. Welcome home to all!

July 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Maria B.

I am Colombia. I just want to say I am very proud of our President Uribe and our military because they did a GREAT JOB!! rescuing those 15 hostages. This shows once again that our country is doing all that they can to help all those people that have been kidnapped and the committment of our government towards our nation.

I am very happy for all those that are free today, and for their families.

July 2, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Derrick

I can't wait to see the them land at the base in San Antonio, hopefully they'll be reunited with their families very soon. Unbelievable story.

July 2, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Tracey - Boston

Yes, the hostage families are heroes for never giving up

July 2, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Jim

Glad to hear something went right today & that the hostages are safe.

July 2, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  17. Elsa V. Gomez

As a Colombian I feel very proud of our military forces and our president. It is not only admirable that they were able to rescued the hostages but that they give hope to Colombians for a better tomorrow. Ever since I was a child, I dreamed of a peaceful country where Ingrid Betancourt was the president. I admired Ingrid for what she is as a woman and how she handled politics as a Senator. Today, I am trilled that she and 14 more hostages are free. Thank You Colombia !

July 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar

I agree, Erica!
    I am so exciting for them!!!! Yippee!!!! I want to say thank you to Colombia military and to Colombia people!

July 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  19. Genevieve M, TX

The hostages are expected to arrive 11PM EDT. Would'nt it be exciting if the plane landed while 360 is live?

Just like the other 360 viewers- I, too, am waiting and sitting on the edge of my seat for their plane to arrive in San Antonio!

July 2, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Yes Erica, it's a day that will reunite families torn apart. They deserve to relish this moment.

July 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Jacqui Chan

Nanda, your whole family must be very excited tonight!

July 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Hernan

I'm a Colombian-American I just want to share the joy that brings to know that fellow americans are free from their captivity. The Colombian goverment will keep working hard to make it a safe place again.

July 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  23. deborah, OH

Caroleena, all countries have FARC-type of organizations in them. You just have to hope & pray that a day like today will happen–and the 'good guys' will win one now & then.

Viva Columbia

July 2, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Camilo Bonilla, Bogotá - Colombia

@Mike, Syracuse, NY: FARC was born like....50 years ago, and was a lefty org. But in the last years FARC has became in a "droug cartel" who wants to change the goverment... it´s a complicated problem...it is an army with 10.000 soldiers and they have power at the south, close to Brasil, peru and Ecuador.
    Badly, the goverments of our neighbords are helping them, Mr Chaves (Venezuela) and Mr. Correa (Ecuador) are supporting them

July 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  25. Brian Hickingbottom

Anderson,

I am a US Service member in the Air Force. I can see the landing area, were these hostages will be landing. It is amazing to hear this. I was deployed for our countyr when this happend. I remember praying for there families and them as well. Our thoughts and prayers go to there families, and we are all glad they will be back safe to their families.

July 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  26. Nanda

As a colombian national I'm so proud of my country and my President, President Uribe with his democratic security platform has transformed our country, have cornered the FARC and finally has taken the "jewel of the crown' as the FARC called Ingrid Betancourt and the 3 americans. My granparents were chased out of their little town on the mountains from Colombia into the city by the guerrilleros in the 50's. Now Presidente Uribe is helping us to regained what it was taken from us...our freedom

July 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  27. ericacnn

what a day! it is wonderful to hear the joy and anticipation in lauren stansell's and george gonsalves's voices. anderson was right – not a lot of sleep for the families of these rescued men tonight

July 2, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  28. MaryBeth

I don't know if those proof of life videos would be a consolation or not...nice to know they are alive but worried about what is not being shown....

July 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Elizabeth Scheidel

I worked with an aunt of Marc Gonsalves and for over 4 years and have been praying for him and his mother every night. She did so much to in trying for his release. God has performed a miracle for all these people.

July 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Fallon

Anderson Cooper, you don't know how emotional I am right now. I am Colombian and in my 20's, and although not directly affected by any kidnappings, I share the pain and suffering of the families who are. Having grown up hearing about this all the time, it finally feels so good to cry tears of joy.

July 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Dr. Sergio Paez

This is a great operation that will bring credibility and trust to the great work of president Uribe and the true Colombian heroes; the Colombiuan army that for more than 40 years have been fighting for the liberation of this cancer called FARC.

July 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Sharon in Toronto

How infrequently we are able to say something wonderful happened today! Today was that day. Can't wait to see the reunion in Texas tonight.

July 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Hannah Storm

wow just doing the normal every day things and you get this amazing news. Hearing from these family members is just awesome

July 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar

@ Jolene,
    Me too, I can't wait to hear their family outsidee to say! 🙂 I know they are so happy for them to bring home!

July 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Caroleena

As a colombian-american i am a bit ashamed and embarassed of the FARC and the crimes they have committed in colombia but at the same time i am so very proud of the colombian military and police which took action and manipulated the FARC in a very impressive manner. Just as Ingrid Betancourt said "A perfect operation". But it was a well done operation and I am happy with its outcome. Anderson Cooper thanks for covering this amazing piece of history.

viva colombia

July 2, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Manoel Queiroz

Maybe the miracle that happened in Colombian Woods may fill the heart of the others anywere in this world are away of their freedom.I expect they never lose the hope that someday they will be free!

July 2, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  37. Juliana, NJ

Congratulations Colombia & USA. Today is history in the making for both nations. God bless the rescued hostages and welcome home!

July 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  38. EJ (USA)

Does anyone remember if there was much media coverage when they were taken hostage? I hadn’t heard about their situation before today.

I vaguely remember. I've heard of FARC and hostages being held but I wasn't aware of Ingrid and who the hostages were. I didn't hear almost anything from the mainstream media about these hostages in the past few years.

From that part of the world – I've mainly heard about Venezuela, Chavez, and his antics. I think some incidents involving Colombia.

July 2, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Juan

as a 19 year-old Colombian I feel that today is a historic day. There not enough words to express the happiness that has overwhelmed all of us Colombians. All i can really say is "This is great" Colombia don't give up!!

July 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Roweena D'Souza, Seattle

Yes, there could be a number of such hostage situations, not just in Columbia... however every such rescue brings renewed hope to all the others.

July 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Ed. Arana

I'm a colombian living in the United States, and Im' very proud of the colombian army for what they did today. I'm also very happy for the release of the 3 american contractors. God bless freedom

July 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Cynthia

God bless all the families. I know it was hard on all of them, especially the children.

July 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Derrick

This is such a beautiful day for the people of Colombia and the families of the three U.S hostages. As a Colombian I never thought I'd see the day Ingrid would be free but I think today gives hope to the families of those still under captivity that their freedom is possible. We prey for them

July 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Jacqui Chan

Katina yes, I do remember seeing some footage a few years back about the kidnappings but not enough...

July 2, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Genevieve M, TX

Yes, kudos to all the people who played a role in the hostages' release! Bravo!! 🙂

July 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Karen M, Ohio

It's truly amazing that they were able to pull this off they way they did.

Cindy, I had also wondered what kind of impact this would have on the hostages still being held.

July 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Hannah Storm

those kids must be so overwhelmed with emotion right now. Both excited and nervous to see their father

July 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  48. jen rose

It goes to show you there are miracles.... a lot of prayers were answered.

July 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Sara.Ro

It's amazing! But why or what for they should expect so long?
    Congrat for the releasers!

July 2, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  50. Meredith, SLC

Wonderful news for the hostages. I am sure they will have some story to tell. So sorry for the families whose loved ones won't be returning. As Ms Betancourt said, it is truly a miracle for the others.

July 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |