July 2nd, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/2/08

For what’s in the program take a look at tonight’s Evening Buzz.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Heather

I can only imagine how heartbreaking it is not to be able to talk with your father or know if he is ok or not for five years. I imagine it will be a very happy homecoming for those families.

July 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Jacqui Chan

she is such an inspiration; I can't imagine being held captive for years and remain so well intact mentally
    what a wonderful gift for her children to receive their Mom back

July 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Camilo Bonilla, Bogotá - Colombia

@Hannah Storm. First, excuse mi english, is not the best. People in colombia is shocked.... we don't believe it!
    When the hostages went down from the airplane the national anthem was played and everibody was happy... like in a national soccer team match.... People put our flag in windows and that stuff.... this is a historical day

July 2, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Manoel Queiroz

Mr.Katina it was a large media coverage when they were taken hostage, but more media when the first hostage were saved one or two years ago!

July 2, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Thomas Kavanagh

That is great news that them people are out of there and ready to get back to a life without chains

July 2, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Jolene

I hope AC360 can eventually get interviews with the American hostages. What a story these men will have to tell.

July 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  7. MaryBeth

I think they have about 750 more hostages scattered throughout the Colombian jungle? I'm not sure.

July 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Camilo, what does FARC want? Who supports them?

July 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  9. cindy m.

awesome bravery on this rescue. the intelligence guys that were on the ground to figure this out and then the rescue. quite amazing!

July 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Norma

Can't help to think that in the coming days we will be seeing pictures of the other hotages killed. Sorry to say.

July 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Katina

Does anyone remember if there was much media coverage when they were taken hostage? I hadn't heard about their situation before today.

July 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Joy

Hey AC, I'm a many time blogger out here, but feels like the first time every time.

Great news about the freshly released hostages from Columbia!

July 2, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Jacqui Chan

I hope we will be able to watch some of the families receive their loved ones back again (if the don't mind the cameras of course)

July 2, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

Kaye,
    I think 15 including 3 americas and Ingrid.

July 2, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Susan - North Haven,CT

Wow. KUDOS to the Columbian government, the Columbian military and especially to our own Intelligence personnel. This mission was BEYOND BRILLIANT!

Today is an historical one and a stellar example of what can be accomplished when countries work together to reach a common goal. Fabulous – simply fabulous!

God Bless all those who were rescued today. And welcome home to Marc, Thomas and Keith. I can only imagine the emotions, but it all makes me smile 🙂

July 2, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Manoel Queiroz

For these hostages Independence Day will mean the Freedom Day.

July 2, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Roweena D'Souza, Seattle

This is amazing news, I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like for the hostages to get back to life after 5 years...

July 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Jolene

@Camilo: Yes, it was very impressive that the US assisted the Colombian army as to the whereabouts of these hostages!

July 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Francesca Elm

The hostage story is fascinating. I had no idea this was happening, which is ridiculous.

July 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  20. MaryBeth

Finally some good news!!! This story is amazing. I do hope that the men who were duped are not harmed. They had nothing to do with this operation and should not suffer because of it.

July 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  21. deborah, OH

Yes Lorie Ann, I fear for the lives of the others. We need to keep them in our thoughts & prayers.

July 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  22. Kaye, Pensacola & Chattanooga

Do we have any idea how many hostages they still have?

July 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  23. Hannah Storm

@ Camilo – what is the mood like in Bogota? I would assume lots of joy for the release of the hostage and a little bit of worry for the remaining hostages

July 2, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar

I agree with you Jen Rose,
    Welcome home former 3 hostages!

July 2, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  25. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

I agree. one almost doesn't want to turn the television on because of all the bad news. it gives one hope that things are getting better in the world when things like this happens.

July 2, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  26. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

This is an Independence Day that those Americans and their families will not forget...

July 2, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  27. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good point Cindy, I hope the other hostages will not be made an example of . I wish they'd let them all go and end this once and for all.

July 2, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Kathy, Chicago

Thank goodness they are safe. We don't know what to do with good news anymore.

July 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Hannah Storm

this certainly sounds like a once in a life time mission. It is truly amazing

@ Kaye – It is nice to finally have some good news. It has been far too long

July 2, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Camilo Bonilla, Bogotá - Colombia

Good night. I'm colombian, i'm 25 and today´s operation is amazing...unbelivable! I'm proud of colombian Army and goverment.
    Colombia needs more help from USA, we need the Free Trade Agreement and more military cooperation.
    Thanks!

July 2, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Cynthia

Let's hope that they don't kill them Cindy.

July 2, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Laylah

I'm happy that the hostages have been rescued, I couldn't imagine what it was like to be heald captive. I know their famlies have to be more then excited to know that they are alive

July 2, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Manoel Queiroz

I Agree With Mrs.Kaye and Mrs.Katina hear great news make us believe all can change of best way. And a Great Welcome Home to Everyone who was in that nightmare in the forest, may the dream of new life be with then!

July 2, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Jolene

Hello bloggers! Talk about an exciting evening! Great news for those American hostages. Hearing the way they got rescued was way cool too!

July 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  35. jen rose

I'm glad to see the hostages.....are doing okay, and got to come home! It always does my heart good to see our hostages, that are held anywhere....when they get to come home to the U.S safely. It goes to show you the rescue team was lucky and knowledgeable in what they were doing.

To the hostages.....welcome home!

July 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Cindy

I wonder if the FARC wiil start killing the other hostages that they have now that they were tricked?

Cindy...Ga.

July 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Sounds like the CIA or Delta Force was involved.

July 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar

Wow! that is so long for 6 years!!!! That is so amazing miracle!

July 2, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Manoel Queiroz

Losing is your freedom is the worst thing that can happen to anyone, anywhere and anytime, that's why this kidnnaped did have to get to end. And it ended of the best way it could be!

July 2, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

The hostages and their families must be numb, yet overjoyed. Their nightmare is over. My thoughts and prayers are with them

July 2, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Katina

Kaye, I agree completely! It's been so long since we heard something good on the news that I almost forget what it feels like!

July 2, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Heather

Welcome home to the hostages

July 2, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Lori, Boston

Hi Anderson,

What wonderful news to hear about the hostages being released from Columbia and heading back home to the U.S.. So looking forward to this story.

July 2, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Cindy

Hey Anderson and all.

It is amazing how these hostages were rescued! It is like something out of a movie! For the Colombian military to trick the FARC is really something. I am glad that it all went as planned and that no one got hurt.

Cindy...Ga.

July 2, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Tracey - Boston

Hello everyone,

Wow. The hostage situation is mind-boggling.

July 2, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hello Anderson. Remarkable story tonight.

July 2, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Kaye, Pensacola & Chattanooga

It's so nice to have some wonderful news for a change.

July 2, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Manoel Queiroz

Today’s gonna be a great news i’m certain of it. Because of two reasons: The ending of nightmare in the colombian forest of Ingrid Betancourt and all the other persons who were with her. The other reason is with this nightmare ending may start a dream of peace in that region of South America not only because is the america i live, furthermore is because all the persons in that region deserve peace! And Mr.Anderson Cooper i’m glad with your personal comment for my participation on the blog and i’m very happy that you like the language of my Country. My Best Regards for you Mr.Cooper, Mrs.Hill and all the blog buddies!

July 2, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Hannah Storm

the rescue mission in Colombia today was an absolute miracle on so many levels. What an amazing story of courage from the hostages and the military and government of Colombia

July 2, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Kathy S

WOW – what a story. Can't wait to hear more.
    Anderson, weren't you just on vacation in Colombia?

July 2, 2008 at 10:00 pm |