July 1st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/1/08

CHICAGO (CNN) – Authorities have captured an Illinois man suspected of killing eight people in two states, the FBI confirmed Tuesday. Late breaking details live at 10p ET.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Maureen T

Good night folks! Lively night tonight! See you tomorrow.

July 1, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Katina

Wow – I'm slightly disturbed by the tribute to the PedEgg. And Erica, I was just thinking the same thing about looking like a cheese grater!

Have a great night! I really enjoy the Live Blog – I've only done it a few times, and find it wonderfully addicting and insightful.

July 1, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Sheesh

The story about the women in the hospital is just so disturbing, not only that she had to wait more then 24 hours for a bed but because it's like putting a mirror up to the American culture and where its headed. How disgusting!

July 1, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Anderson, Erica, yall are hilarious!

July 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Evan

The two were illegal immigrants and criminals with previous convictions. I hope that I have a neighbor like that. He is willig to keep his neighborhood safe. The police can not get to these scenes quickly and homeowners have the right to protect their property. These two will not be able to commit crimes again. It also makes your neighborhood safer. The Castle Doctrine is a vital tool in the fight against crime since our legal system allows criminals to roam free.

July 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Saera El Paso, TX

eww feet... i hate those commercials

July 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Cindy

That is the sickest commercial! Who wants to see people scrubbing junk off of their feet!? YUCK!!

Night Anderson, Erica and all.

Cindy...Ga.

July 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Hannah Storm

No wonder I had not seen the Pedegg commerical today......it was becoming the new HeadOn commercials

Memories.....oh Barbara

July 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Caroline

When I see the PedEgg adds I wonder how many women actually have so much spare time that they are obsessing about their heels?

July 1, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Vincent

Horn didnt need to go outside to confront those guys and put himself IN danger. He wasnt in danger in his own 'castle'.
    Too many guns out there though, and too many gungho cowboys all too willing to use them for little or no reason.

However, Im not sorry those thieves got shot. But Horn couldve knee-capped them though instead of shooting them in the back while theyre running away.

July 1, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Genevieve M, TX

The PedEgg really works, I have one. You just have to be careful not to "overdo" it, or else you will end up with a sore foot.

July 1, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Kathy, Andover

It amazes me that people think it's okay for that neighbor to have murdered two men! It was argued that the death sentence is unjust for child molesters. It would be my guess that burglary is less of an offense than child molestation. Yet, people think it was okay for a VIGILANTE to kill his neighbor's burglars. btw, if it is okay to shoot, then why not injure, rather than shoot to kill?

July 1, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  13. Saul

Joe Horne is a murderer. He called 911, police were on the way, he was in no danger and he killed two people. I cant see how he is justified

July 1, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Saera El Paso, TX

glad i don't eat tomatoes..

July 1, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Darn Ped-Egg commercial!

July 1, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  16. Mr Franks

Well! If they had not chose to break into his neighbors house, they would be walking around today! Guess crime don't pay!

July 1, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  17. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I have no problem with what Horn did. These people were here illegally and were engaged in illegal acts. They were not victims, they were criminals.

July 1, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Dan Miami,FL

This man in TX that shot those men did the right thing. Good Job.

July 1, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Hannah Storm

oh Anderson missed the memo 😛

The pedegg commercial airs like at least 4 times for me during 360

July 1, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Irene in Texas

I am wondering...If he was afraid, why would he run to the danger. That makes no sense at all!!!

July 1, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I knew it couldn't just be tomatoes. Tomatoes are always with other veggies.

July 1, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  22. judy

he was committing a crime under texas law. he wasn't acting in self-defense because he told the dispatcher he was going outside to kill these two men. that's a crime everywhere - intentional murder.

July 1, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Ana-Boston

Yes, what Joe Hord did was more than wrong. How can you call him "Hero"?

July 1, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Tanya

You may have a right to protect yourself but these guys were shot in the back. To me that means that they were running away, not threatening Joe Horn's life or property.

July 1, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Katherine

What have we come to? Since when has showing compassion for another human being become a hindrance to our own lives?

July 1, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  26. Sharon from Indy

Tomatoes....and one wonders why South Koreans don't want our beef.

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

Every hospital I've ever been in lately the nurses and people in the hospital, patients, have been concerned about each other. It helps if the hospital employees, though, are encouraged to be responsive, answer questions, be helpful, look into things. That's unbelievable negligence in that video.

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Saera El Paso, TX

so what if they where in his yard?
    they weren't running toward him, they were running away
    they could have been caught and deported instead of killed

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Tracey - Boston

The robbers crossed his yard...

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Emma

It is kind of scary to think that if you're on another person's property he/she has the right to shoot you. I understand he had the right to protect himself if he genuinely felt threatened but I don't think this was the case.

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Of course they were shot in the back, a man speaking a language they may not have understood pointed a rifle at them! Without the rifle, the burglars would have probably attacked him.

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Shea, North Carolina

I just don't think you can judge this guy for shooting to kill. If we were in his shoes we all might have done the same thing, who knows. Gives you something to think about.

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Caroline

This guy's argument is full of baloney. He compares a woman being assaulted with two property thieves. Another false argument from the gun lovers.

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Cindy

Just because they were in his yard didn't mean that he had to kill them. Did they ever threaten him?

Cindy..Ga.

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  35. MaryEllen Texas

What was life threatening about the two robbers? They were robbing - they didn't have weapons - so how could anyone say Joe Horn was "protecting his property, himself?" I think this is being discarded because it was learned they were illegal immigrants and at least one with a criminal history.

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Katina

He wasn't protecting himself... they were breaking into his neighbor's house. I don't understand why the robbers would go from his neighbor's house to his, especially if they saw him standing in the yard with a gun.

July 1, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Julia Warren, Plainfield NJ

Shooting anyone in the back is WRONG.

July 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  38. Kristen

First time to join the blog! I love reading all of the comments. I have to qucikly comment on the story of Mr. Horn. I don't think that we can say what we would do unless we were in that situation. Mr. Horn wasn't in the wrong here in my opinion, but like he say he is no hero. Enjoy the show Anderson, Erica, and 360 crew!

July 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  39. Genevieve M, TX

Anderson, why do you keep mentioning that the two criminals are "illegal"? I highly doubt that was a factor in Horn's decision to shoot the criminals.

As for being "unarmed".....I was in a dining in a restaurant that was robbed with "toy guns." Guess what? It's still a felony! The three men were caught and all three will be spending the next 20 years in prison.

There is a reason why the signs on the highways entering Texas say "Don't Mess With Texas".

July 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  40. Michelle

Who goes outside to confront robbers if they are afraid for their life? What protection? A lock door is your protection, he did not need protection!

July 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  41. CaseyJPS - California

Tracey>
    Once someone feels violated, they will never sleep the same again. Letting the two men go is a frightening thought (as in, they will come back) unless you can finish the job.

July 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  42. Jolene

I'm still surprised he wasn't indicted, I think the Grand Jury should have indicated him and then let a criminal trial prove innocence or guilt.

July 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  43. Norma

What happened to the words FREEZE, STOP or ALTO in this case before you shoot.

July 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  44. Sharon from Indy

Were the suspects shooting at Mr Horn? So what justifies his shooting them in the back?

July 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  45. Lisa

People can not just go around be judge and jury. That is the law's job not the average person.

July 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  46. Peter Barnes

How could you defend this man, I live in a tough neighborhood and I would not shoot over burglury, he was scared and he should have not shot anyone... What a pathetic man... I hope karama comes back to him big time.

July 1, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  47. David NC

As horrifying as the tape of the lady dying in the waiting room is, I fear not much is going to change in America's health care system. HMO's have just a tight a grip on us as big oil. It will take decades to get us decent health care just as it will take decades to solve the problems with energy.

July 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  48. Hannah Storm

wow it is amazing how he knew about that particular law.....if he was asked about others he probably would not have had a clue

July 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  49. Kevin

I agree that by Texas law he was not committing a crime. Everyone does have a right to protect themselves and their own property, and he did shoot them on his own property. Shooting them in the back is uncalled for, especially if the police were at the scene already.

July 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  50. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Shooting to wound someone only happens in the movies. In the military they teach you to shoot for the center of mass, i.e. the torso.

July 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |