July 1st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/1/08

CHICAGO (CNN) – Authorities have captured an Illinois man suspected of killing eight people in two states, the FBI confirmed Tuesday. Late breaking details live at 10p ET.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. MaryEllen Texas

Anderson – the plain clothes detective that was there in his car - arrived quickly and actually saw Joe Horn with the gun and chose to drop down in the seat of the car so Joe Horn would not shoot him also. So the policeman did NOTHING.

July 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Kimberly

I am glad to hear that Mr. Horn said that he was not a hero. Obviously these two men were committing a crime, but it is a dangerous precedent to shoot people for breaking into a neighbor's home. Heaven forbid I ever lock myself out of my house and need to break into my own home. My neighbor might shoot me to protect my property!

July 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  3. seth sandberg

joe horn is just doing what every neighbor would like to do but he had the guts to do it . if you saw someone robbing your neighbors house you would want to do something but you would not for fear of harm, he did something. its the basic psycological principal; fight or flite, but most of us choose flite.

July 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Jacqui Chan

Kimether, that's a good point that you make but why was the patient waiting unattended for so many hours?!?

July 1, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Doug

Of course he said they were in his yard...he'd just murdered them!

July 1, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Sharon

Joe Horne did get involved. Maybe he should have been inside that hospital emergency room. With neigbors like him, the neighborhood watch program works.

July 1, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  7. CaseyJPS - California

Fay>
    Mr. Horn was scared to death, no doubt. It's hard to anticipate how any of would have reacted in that situation and much easier for us to judged, after the fact.

July 1, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Chris adamec

Dear criminals, if you steal someone's property, you will be stopped, lawfully in Texas. Now you know the risk.

July 1, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  9. MaryBeth

Great...so any crime should have the penalty of death? What is Mr. Larsen thinking? It's that kind of mentality that used to get kids hung for stealing bread...

July 1, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Can anyone say trigger happy? This is premeditated. I think he was looking to shoot these guys no matter what. He isn't being rational at all. Someone attempted to break in my house one night, the cops came before he got in, and I was given a gun for protection the next day (my Dad wanted to years before and I never wanted it until that night). BUT, I'd only use it now if my life or members of my family were in danger. I can't see killing someone who isn't threatening a life.

July 1, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  11. joanne- Calgary , Canada

Evening Anderson and Erica.. long time watcher, first time blogger

.. i can't even put into words how horrified i am at this hospital story.. ..what ever happened to helping your fellow man? How could anyone turn a blind eye?

July 1, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

The robbers were in his yard!

July 1, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  13. MaryEllen Texas

I think what Joe Horn did was absolutely wrong. Absolutely wrong. Just listening to his audio tape and intent - and who knows whether anyone moved those bodies? Keep in mind – that here in Texas most of the homes in the sub-divisions are very close to each other. It's not like these are homes on 1/2 acre of land. His intent was go out and kill those guys without knowing what they did or who they were. Suppose it was his own family members ??

July 1, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Dawn

Joe Horn is right- he is no hero. He could have easily injured them to bring them down. I know it was at night, but I think Joe Horn was a fairly good shot.

July 1, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  15. judy

definitely not "self defense" - jury nullified because the suspects were illegals

July 1, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  16. dave s, tinley park IL

If you're a criminal, then you should expect anything in return. What about the arrogance of these jerks going into someone's home and stealing their possessions like it's their right to have it??

no tears on my part for these two–good riddance

July 1, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Caroline

Did Joe Horn ever say why he felt his life was threatened?

Did they point a gun at him?

Did they charge him with knives?

Did they even run toward him? No. They were running away after he warned them and yet, he killed them for probably a $500.00 TV.

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Cindy

Horn was wrong in killing those guys. They were stealing stuff not trying to harm him.

Cindy...Ga.

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Lisa

How could his life be in danger when he was in his own house and those people were next door?

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Anna - chicago ,il

People are afraid of someone else's problem becoming their own ..that is why they don't do anything.

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Cody Williams Toronto, Canada

Erica I could not agree any more, it is very depressing to have to realize that this is what our society has come to, letting a lady lay there and die.

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Jolene

I think if he was allowed to have a gun by law and to protect his and his neighbor's property, then he should have shot the two guys in the arms or legs. Afterall, the police were there already.

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Tracey - Boston

Shooting a man in the back is a cowardly act!!

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  24. Palm Beach blog

On the Texas grand jury ruling .I have always say the crime problem we see in America is not realy the guns out there ,but the people running around with guns.Mr Horn was told over and over not to exit his home .Instead he killed two people in the back.It is a crime.

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Irene in Texas

If he feared for his life, he should have stayed inside of his house. I am pretty sure he was safe! I think he was on a mission...

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  26. judy

come on - joe told the dispatcher he was going to kill them before he went outside. this is hardly a case where he feared for his life before he left his house to kill the guys.

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Kaye, Pensacola & Chattanooga

Why does Mr. Horn think he was going to die when the guys were in the yard next door and their backs were turned toward him.

July 1, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  28. CaseyJPS - California

I insist he did the right thing, based on Texas law. Please add a hash mark to that side of the argument.

July 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

He warned the robbers to freeze or he would shoot. Come on, that is legal in TX. If the police can't get there and he has them on the phone, maybe he WAS protecting himself.
    Do we just let crime run rampant?
    I don't even own a gun because I would not shoot someone, but crime is getting worse and worse.

July 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Dee F.

Why shoot BOTH in the back...what ever happened to a warning shot?

July 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Fay, CA

Since Horn was so anxious to shoot someone, why didn't he just try to wound these guys and then let the police handle the rest? He seemed to just be out for blood. No hero.

July 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Kevin

He shot them in the back, I take my prior comments back...that is just wrong.

July 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Caroline

RE: Horn-my mother always said "Two wrongs don't make a right." My mother, as usual, was right.

July 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Saera El Paso, TX

the operator is right, there is no property worth killing for
    property can be replaced – lives can't

July 1, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  35. Vincent

I wonder if these people that ignored that woman would prefer if others ignored them or their loved ones if they were in a similar situation.
    This whole scenario is just ridiculous, and i wonder about the morality and human decency of those people.

July 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Andrea from Canada

Hahaha @ Mike, that might put him closer to hero status.

July 1, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Karen M, Ohio

I was speechless when a co-worker told us about the woman in the waiting room and I still am but even more so after seeing the security guard sitting there. Noone even getting up to go check on her is appalling.

July 1, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  38. Saera El Paso, TX

isn't the point of a hospital and it's workers to help people?

July 1, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  39. Samantha Dempsey

I would like to thank all of the major news networks for picking up this story. Helping to protect our small towns in northern Illinois. I live 15 minutes from Rockfalls and things have been very scary here. With your help he was caught. THANK YOU!!

July 1, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  40. Sharon from Indy

Mr. Horn: Vigilantism is not the answer.

July 1, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

what is also disturbing is the fact that her medical records are different from the video. it makes you wonder...

July 1, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Irene in Texas

I do not agree with people robbing people of their property but it is not right for someone to leave out of his house where he is safe to kill someone.

July 1, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  43. MaryBeth

Kevin: HE wasn't being threatened...they were running away from him. They hadn't even robbed HIS house!!! They were running across his lawn. He was in NO danger for his life.

July 1, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Teresa, Oh

While I dont think Horn is a hero, I most definitely appreciate what he did. I'm not glad the ILLEGALS are dead, per se, but.... they are in the country illegally. I applaud the verdict in this matter. Horn is not a criminal. If the constitution gives us the right to bear arms, for what would we bear arms if not for intruders in the country that are robbing our homes? I would welcome Mr. Horn as my neighbor.

July 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  45. kim

It's a shame to live in a civiliezed society in which people are not civilized. I don't think we move as far as we thought since the beginning of civilization

July 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  46. Katina

As someone entering the health care field, I am absolutely sickened how people can come and go in the ER and not help her. You think that other people in the waiting room who are there for their loved ones would assist her. I'm sure they'd want someone to help if it were their friend or family member on the floor.

July 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  47. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

The people in the room are possibly psychiatric patients as well, so there is no way of knowing their mental capacity to understand why the woman was laying on the floor. Who knew that the hospital my brother was born in and that I have spent countless hours in the ER would make national news. If it was gonna make the news, I knew it would be because of this kind of situation.

July 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  48. David, Indiana

I'm glad they caught that guy, too. Hopefully it's the actual culprit.

July 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  49. Tammy, Berwick, LA

This is unreal. How do you leave psych patients unattended (no checks) and get away with it? This defies any legitimate attempt at best practices (or any practices for that matter). I guess the lesson is have a family member or friend with you. My uncle is schizophrenic, and I guess he's lucky that we look out for him. I don't get it, and yet I do.

July 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  50. Jacqui Chan

evening bloggers, it's been a while...
    it is disgusting how so many in our (and most) societies have such little empathy for those suffering from mental illness. Mental illness is caused by a trauma to the brain or a chemical imbalance there should be no shame and these people should be treated with dignity.

July 1, 2008 at 10:42 pm |