July 1st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/1/08

CHICAGO (CNN) – Authorities have captured an Illinois man suspected of killing eight people in two states, the FBI confirmed Tuesday. Late breaking details live at 10p ET.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. MaryBeth

Annie Kate: actually that is exactly the mentality battered women have....

July 1, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

what was he high on? Has anyone ever heard of a pothead murder?
    Maybe meth or crack?

July 1, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  3. Gina - Missouri

His long rap sheet did not portray "loving father" to me

July 1, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  4. kim

I just do not agree when people vote based on their religion. They should seperate between church and government

July 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  5. CaseyJPS - California

I have to say I am shocked about the video of the woman keeling over and dying. I couldn'tjust sit there and I just can't understand how anybody could.

July 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Most addicts are lovely people except when they're boozed up or high on their other drug(s) of choice. The wife sounds like a typical spouse of an addict enabling and protecting until the bitter end.

July 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  7. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

The main cause of the woman dying in the hospital was the lack of an available bed in the first place. Sad.

July 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  8. seth sandberg

how you all doing. first time here. thought id weight in on whats goin on. The presidential elections a joke none of them have a clue of what real life is like for most of americans. So nothing will change. We, middle america, are on our own we have to come together and decide to lead our country, because our, or maybe the government is not. They dont care about us. With the energy crisis, just mandate that the automakers, all of them, have to have 30% of their fleet of an alternative fuel by next year to sell cars in america. I guarntee that it will be done. we buy the most cars we need to switch that around to make it a plus not a negative. just one of the common sense things that can be done to change our country, the government will not do this so we must.

July 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  9. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

with a remark like that, the wife must be on drugs, too.

July 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  10. dave s, tinley park IL

if that's a nice guy... jeez

July 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  11. judy

It's amazing how his wife can compartmentalize: a nice guy when he's not doing drugs and killing people.

July 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  12. Jolene

Sheley looks shady to me.

July 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  13. Saera El Paso, TX

he shouldn't be anywhere near a kid if he is ever drunk or high!
    not a good idea...

July 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Dee F.

Yeh Tanya I was wondering about that too. So I guess he is a loving father when he is sleeping.
    Give me a break!!!

July 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  15. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

My thoughts exactly, Tanya!

July 1, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  16. Carly,AL

the hopsitals story does not reallty suprise me at all.....it scary but still its no suprise.......julie i agree the nursing sortage maybe be problem, but not the main cause for this poor neglected women...

July 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

8 people in a week? Sounds like a terrifying movie. It seem like they were all random killings too.

July 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Maureen T

Thank goodness that killer suspect was caught! What a horrible individual!

July 1, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Tanya

I'm sorry – did I hear that right – " he's normally a loving father except when he's drunk or high??"

July 1, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Hannah Storm

the story about these murders is just sad....glad the suspect was caught

July 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Gretchen

I think we show our limited world view when we assume "faith based iniatives" only come from evangelical, or even christian, institutions.

Faith applies to people of Catholic, Lutheran, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. faith, not just evangelical baptists.

July 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Sharon from Indy

What ever happen to the Good Samaritan? Or just human decency?

July 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  23. Stacy

The hospital story is so horrifying.. and whats even worse is that many of us can imagine it happening at hospitals we have been too.

Definitely. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that happened at my hospital. Too many patients, not enough staff.

July 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  24. judy

It's critical to bring along a family member who can advocate for you if you want quality care at a hospital.

July 1, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Doug

I'd sure be interested to know who is currently serving as Barack Obama's spiritual advisor since he removed his membership from his home church.

July 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  26. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It seems what a person in public service can do on religious issues is limited because of the diversity of the public. It is admirable, though, that Obama is willing to focus on religion– it shouldn't be repressed.

July 1, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  27. Maureen T

Wishing beautiful Angelina all the best!!

July 1, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Kimberly

Why should Obama not be allowed to speak out on faith and have a compassionate position to a diverse group of people and difficult issues. Is it not in the bible, "judge not lest ye be judged?"

July 1, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think the way hospitals are lately, you could die in your hospital bed and no one would notice for hours. It's getting bad out there.

July 1, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Kevin

The saddest thing about the hospital story is that it isn't as shocking as it should be.

July 1, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  31. andersoncnn

Kaye, sadly, i dont know much more portugese than obrigado, but its one of my favorite languages.

July 1, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  32. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I can so see this hospital incident happening at Grady Hospital in Atlanta. That person could have been any one of us.

July 1, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Norma, religion is the basis for many people's moral values. Everyone wants a candidate that shares their values, hence religion is relevant.

July 1, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Hannah Storm

I think Roland's suggestion for Obama to meet with Focus on the Family and Tony is a good one....I think Obama and McCain should talk to everyone they can. Find where you agree and go from there

July 1, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  35. andersoncnn

July 1, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Religion should stay private. I don't recall so much talk about Religion in the past.

July 1, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Kaye, Pensacola & Chattanooga

Tell 'em Roland! "Obrigado" – impressive Andy!

July 1, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  38. CaseyJPS - California

Religious zealots, or those making an issue our of religion in this election, want to trample the constitution. It is their way or the highway, as it always has been. This will never change.

July 1, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Mary Anne

Why did Obama give a speech saying that we are no longer a Christian nation a few years ago – now he is trying to pander to the Christians? I can't believe a word he says. I miss Hillary.

July 1, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Kathy, Chicago

I think that Obama needs to follow a different path. He has his own agenda, not God's.

July 1, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Miles, Texas

Obama is brave to wade in to the Evangelical fray. It's scary territory especially for a moderate.

July 1, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  42. ericacnn

Hi, bloggers

Dawn - there was a case of a woman who died while waiting for ER care in LA last year... different situation, but equally scary

July 1, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Julie - Bahamas

I would never check into a hospital without a health care advocate. Be it a hired advocate, your friend, spouse or parent. I have seen too many scary things in hospitals all over the US and abroad. The nursing shortage is heading towards an all time high and our insurance system is totally wacky. It is like Russian Roulette. Sadly

July 1, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Norma

Keep religion out of politics...no one ever agrees and never will.

July 1, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  45. andersoncnn

Manoel, obrigado for all the good wishes, and welcome to the blog

July 1, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Paul, Chicago, Illinois

Where do the "Rich people of this country invest there money?" One guess, the oil companies!!!! It's the rich stealing from the poor. We need a real Robin Hood in this country thats for sure to save and standup for the poor!!!!

July 1, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Frank

Obama speaking out on faith? The candidate that supports partial birth abortion, gay marriage and who attended a church that can be described, at best, as being controversial? Keeping up with Obamas sprint to the center on so many issues takes a scorecard and time-watch.

July 1, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Jolene

I also think that there are so many people who go to the ER and don't really have an emergency or a normal doctor to go to so the staff gets a bit oblivious to it all.

July 1, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Kevin

Why is it that Obama is questioned on his religious beliefs but McCain gets a free pass? I believe that Obama has spent more time in the pews during his life than McCain, but due to the fact that Johnny Mac is a republican everyone just assumes that he is religious.

July 1, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Cindy

Obama cares nothing about anyones religion. He is just after votes. If he did he wouldn't be against a lot of things that most religions are for.

Cindy..Ga.