July 1st, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 7/1/08

CHICAGO (CNN) – Authorities have captured an Illinois man suspected of killing eight people in two states, the FBI confirmed Tuesday. Late breaking details live at 10p ET.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kathy, Chicago

The economic situation looks bleak from both sides.

July 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  2. MaryBeth

Anything that happens to a mentally unstable person should be taken with the utmost seriousness. Speaking as someone who suffers from depression and required to take medication if something happened to me due to mental instability, I would hope that everything would be done to help me because of that condition, not inspite of it.

I know all hospitals don't work the same and that just makes it worse, they should all work the same.

July 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  3. EJ (USA)

I don’t think either candidate has a current clue about what poverty is like.

Well Barack's mom did need food stamps at one point so he wasn't born with a silver spoon. And even if he were – it depends on how well they connect and understand the people who are having these hardships.

July 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  4. Cathy

I happy to see Obama go after the religious vote. Democrats have let the Republicans have this segment of the voting population for too long.

July 1, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Scott - Ohio

Hello AC and everyone. This is my first time on the Blog. There is no excuse for what happend to the woman in the hospital.

July 1, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  6. Tammy, Berwick, LA

So does the faith based initiative get any better than it is now? What I worked with in addictions counseling was a complete joke and waste of tax dollars.

July 1, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  7. Susan - North Haven,CT

The economy getting to this point is what happens when it's strength is based on Wall Street activities instead of the "real world".

Too bad nobody ask me.. I could have told them 2 years ago that things were heading south.

July 1, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Manoel Queiroz

What make me feel real bad with the story on the woman in the hospital is that were two people in the same room and what they did do help?? Nothing, nothing!! At least they could scream for help. Where is The Caring for other people in this hours. In this time i start to think where did our humanity gone??

July 1, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Kings County Hospital did fire every staff person involved so at least some action has been done.

July 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Maureen T

I find when I have gone to ER that the nurses are a little aloof and laidback. I guess day after day in ER can play on them. But one would think that if you are not well the safest place would be the hospital, right??

July 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Terri-Ann, TX

The only time they have any sense of urgency in the emergency room is if blood is gushing from your body... and they rush to help so that the blood doesn't touch them. You get help faster in a doctor's office than in an emergency room.

July 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Kaye, Pensacola & Chattanooga

I'm afraid that the story of the woman in the ER is the norm.

July 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Mary Anne

I saw John McCain at a Town Hall meeting yesterday. he has a definite plan to bring down our energy prices – heating oil, electricity and gas. I haven't heard anything from Obama. I am on disability and am worried about heating cost for the winter.

July 1, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Karen

He doesn't look like a killer – he's too little.

July 1, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Anna - chicago ,il

This hospital situation is unfortunately becoming an ugly trend...very sad

July 1, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

What makes it really bad is that the woman in the hospital waiting room was there because she was waiting for a bed to become free. I hope we learn more of what she died from, seeing that she was in the psychiatric ward and not the standard ER.

July 1, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Tammy, Berwick, LA

I don't think either candidate has a current clue about what poverty is like. But I do believe they need to get one if their presidency is to be successful.

July 1, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  18. CaseyJPS - California

The President has little effect on immediate change in the economy. What we're experiencing now are the results of 7 years of shooting from the hip. It all started with the ill-conceived tax cuts when Bush took office. Let's not forget about our occupation in the middle east–Cheney certainly has done well, while our kids and their kids will be paying for this economy for the rest of their lives.

July 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Dawn

EJ- you're right and it was a busy ER. If I recall people were stepping over her.

July 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  20. Jolene

The problem with solving the economy issue is getting everyone to agree on what to do! It will take months and months....

Great conversation!

July 1, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  21. EJ (USA)

MaryBeth, you are spot on. You should take everything seriously in any hospital situation.

especially someone who has fallen to the floor – I don't know how much more of a sign they could've gotten

July 1, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Tracey - Boston

Mary Beth, unfortunately not all hospitals operate the same....

I hate this story .. when you feel the most vulnerable in a place you are supposed to feel secure

July 1, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Gina - Missouri

I was glad to see that they caught the man who reportedly killed 8 people here and in Illinois. I was in Festus, Mo on Monday, scary to think he was running loose there at that time.

July 1, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  24. Anna - chicago ,il

It's sad to see someone in such need of help be completely ignored ...it speaks volumes to the problems in the health system

July 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Hi everyone...

The economy issues are pretty scary. I could care less whether Obama is patriotic or not. I also don't care about McCain and the mythical Bush association. What I care about is that $4.50 per gallon at the pump and the ridiculous cost of groceries and utilities.

July 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Frank

Increased fuel prices, which Obama says are necessary to reduce fuel consumption, hurt the poorest Americans most not only because of prices at the pump but because increased fuel increases the cost of everything transported or manufactured with petroleum products. Make the decision now to produce more oil domestically AND promote alternatives. We should have done this 10 years ago.

July 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Dawn

July 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Claire in Birmingham, AL

Wait, so John McCain suddenly *wants* to help struggling homeowners now? Wasn't he all "they were irresponsible, they're on their own" just, like, last month? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's turned around, but after his first stance and statement, it doesn't make me change my mind about him.

July 1, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  29. CaseyJPS - California

I love John McCain empathetically talking about the poor–like he would know, in this day and age, what it is to be poor. Give me a break.

July 1, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Cynthia

Those people working should be fired and the other people sitting in the waiting area at least should have gotten some help for her.

July 1, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

It appears that not one politican has answers that are a concrete fix it.

July 1, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  32. EJ (USA)

Plus I think the workers at the hospital tried to cover it up.

July 1, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Verdonna Spencer

I'm a person that suffer from a very serious illness of the brain and to see that situation in that emergency room is horrifying.I have to go to the emergency room sometimes myself and I hope I never have to encounter anything like that.

July 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Jolene

Hi Bloggers! After spending Sunday afternoon in my local ER, I'm not surprised about that lady who died. It's sad that she couldn't even rely on the medical facility staff to keep an eye on her. Afterall, my guess is she wasn't there because she was feeling good.

July 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The government in actuality has little power to make major impacts to the economy. It's like trying to turn a supertanker with an oar.

July 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I'm actually very happy to see Obama connecting with the faith community. I'm one of those politically moderate Christians and refuse to give my vote to Reps just because they traditionally carry this particular voting group.

July 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  37. EJ (USA)

Didn’t this same thing happen in an emergency room some time back?

I think the woman who had a heart attack and slumped over.

July 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. CaseyJPS - California

I'm infuriated by the lack of leadership our government has exhibited since the gas lines of the 70s. The writing on the wall (then) was very, very clear. We're just terribly terribly ignorant for not focusing on progressive energy policies.

July 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

i think those who worked at the hospital that nite should be fired! Yes, all of those. that is completely unacceptable.

July 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

When homes went from 200,000 to 1 million in five years? That was really the time to step in. Now they will have a mess to fix.

July 1, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  41. MaryBeth

Kimether: the fact that she was in a psych ward and something happened should have had the opposite effect. My mom worked on a psych floor for 12 years...anything that happened was taken seriously because you just never knew what was serious and what wasn't.

July 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Manoel Queiroz

Buddies, i saw too that story of the woman dying in the hospital and everyone near acting like nothing was happening. That's was incredible sad!!

July 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  43. Tracey - Boston

Hello Everyone:

Foreclosures are at least 15% for the City of Boston.

The lady in the hospital.. I'm boiling already.

July 1, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Dawn

Hi everyone- regarding the woman that died. Didn't this same thing happen in an emergency room some time back? There is absolutely no excuse for this.

July 1, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

The woman dying at Kings County Hospital is so sad. Because it was the psychiatric ward, the security guards that just looked at her and walked away probably thought she was just having an odd psychiatric episode.

July 1, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Hannah Storm

forget the gas prices, home foreclosures and and job losses.......Starbucks are closing down shops. You finally know the economy is bad when people are not buying their $5 coffees 🙁

July 1, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Pebbles Manila, Philippines

Hi Anderson and Erica, greetings from Manila! This is my first time at the Live Blog. I always make it a point to watch AC360. Looking forward to a great program ahead.

July 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Manoel Queiroz

Well. My First Time in Your Blog!!! I Wish a Great Night for all the great people that’s make your program. A Great Night for all the buddies that will write on the blog today. And a Good Night and a Good Luck for you Anderson Cooper and Erika Hill. With My Best Regards Manoel Queiroz, from Brazil!!!

July 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  49. EJ (USA)

That women in the hospital story is very sad.

July 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Hannah Storm

Hey everyone.......Happy Canada Day to the Canadian Bloggers!!!!!!

July 1, 2008 at 10:00 pm |