July 1st, 2008

Evening Buzz: Hero or Vigilante?

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight, we're taking another look at the controversial actions of Joe Horn. Back in November, the Texas man shot to death two men robbing his next door neighbor's house. That's even after a 911 dispatcher told him not to do it. Yesterday, as we told you on 360, a grand jury said Horn should NOT be prosecuted. They said he broke no laws. Yet, the legal decision has our nation divded ( just check out the reaction to this story in last night's Evening Buzz). Could this case set a dangerous precedent as some fear? We'll be looking at that tonight on 360.

Also, breaking news – manhunt over.
The search for a man suspected of killing at least 8 people over the last several days in Illinois and Missouri has ended. The victims included a child and a 93-year-old man. Tonight, we're on the scene with the latest developments. We're also looking at what would drive someone to go on a killing spree.

And, left for dead. A woman collapses in a hospital waiting room and what happens next?
Nothing. OK, well, not quite nothing. Almost everything that does happen, will make your blood boil. We're keeping them honest.

All that and more tonight on 360.
Hope you'll join us at 10pm ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Jerry

There is a very fine line between defending your own property and that of your neighbor. Granted these two guys were definitely in the wrong for stealing someone else's property, but this Horn guy is nothing short of a cold blooded murderer. If his life was in danger why were the victims shot in the back? If someone is running away then how in the world is that a threat to someone's life? I bet the 911 operator who took the call and pleaded for him not to take justice into his own hands doesn't think Mr. Horn's life was in danger. If it had been a person of color who shot two white men in the back, would they be considered heroes or would they be drug behind a pickup truck, lynched in the jail, or even beaten to death on the way to jail? This is a travesty and it only shows that the judicial system is still very biast in nature. I am deeply saddened to say that in America a dog has a better chance of seeking justice than a man of color. Shame on you Texas for keeping racism alive and well. Ultimately Mr. Horn, you will have to meet the Lord on your true judgement day. The eternal burn will not be over as quickly as your gunshots to the back of those two men you MURDERED. Thank you grand jury for making this murderer named Horn the new KKK poster boy.

July 1, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  2. Joe

I believe that Mr Horn should be tried and convicted of killing two unarmed men. He commited murder. To call him a hero is to make mockery of the word "hero". Mr. Horn commited a criminal act . The Texas Grand Jury that cleared Mr. Horn did a disservice to the society and they should be ashmed of their action.

Mr. Horn killed two unarmed Hispanics who did not come to his home. If these men were Whites I doubt that Mr. Horn would have shot them. If these men were Whites, I doubt that those who hail Mr. Horn as their "hero" would do so. If these men were Whites, I doubt that the Texas Grand Jury would clear Mr. Horn of wrong doing.

I do not support any criminal but to call Mr. Horn a hero is rather sickening.

July 1, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  3. Mark

Who knows how many times these guys had committed crimes against others in the past, and if not stopped, how many more would become victims to these scumbags.

July 1, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  4. Keith D. Clark Sr.

I can't believe Micheal Vick received three (3) years for killing two dogs and the country goes crazy; this man premediates kills two humans and the reaction is what are the rights when someone is breaking into your home?

July 1, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  5. Joy in NY

horn had a right to defend himself but not on this particular day he didnt, he went out of his house to pursue the suspects, they didnt pose any immediate danger to him and he had no reason to leave his house, he comes back and says the police are here already, sounds like the cops would have got the guyz in time, he got trigger happy, I am an african immigrant and i have seen this type of justice on the streets of our third world country. Well it looks like America is walking BACK into the future, no difference between this and a thief being lynched for stealing your neighbors cow.

July 1, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  6. Ben Mendoza Kingsley

We have to be careful of calling people Heroes!!!!!

While Horn did what he should have done by trying to stop to burglars, killing them is somewhat questionable

And I am not in agreement to call him a hero. He is not a Hero. He just stopped to burglars.

July 1, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  7. V. Cooper

Somebody’s home is suppose to be a safe heaven, when anyone choose to invade that space, do so at his /her own risk. May they RIP

July 1, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  8. Ernie Bussiere

thank god decent american citizens now have a way to protect
    themselves and their belongings. for way too many years a corupt
    american judicial system, infested with perverts and criminals
    has been doing it's damnest to protect and empower the most evil
    factors of our society, while trampling into the ground good and decent
    american citizens. in my book joe horn deserves a bronze statue,
    and they should erect it in washington!
    he's a real american who had the guts to stand up for his rightsand the rights of all decent americans- give him a medal, too!

July 1, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  9. Theresa

Joe Horn Issue-These days it's hard to find people that are willing to back you up in this ME ME world as a single female can can only hope I would have a neighbor looking out for me insted of one that might think "it's not my problem." Thank You Joe for looking out for your neighbor!.

July 1, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  10. Dan Johnson Portland, OR

Joe Horn was right to defend his neighbors property, and then to defend himself from these thugs when they were in his yard.

If more criminals thought they may killed when they commit a crime,
    crime would decrease in our cities. Police do not always protect us so we all need to look out for ourselves and our neighbors!!!!!!!!!

Go Joe!!!!!!! You did right in my opinion.

July 1, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  11. Mikael H, Sweden

Maybe it's time to stop using 300 year old laws.
    Giving everyone the right to buy weapons to "defend" themselves doesnt sound like the best idea if you want to keep people from killing eachother.

July 1, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  12. jennifer

Mr Horn did NOT shoot them in the back. He shot them in their sides. The two robbers were running INTO Mr Horn's yard. They were on his property when he shot them. I am so tired of the wrong facts being stated on TV. The only way to lower the crime rate in 2008 is to shoot to kill. Good job, Mr Horn!

July 1, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  13. Joyce

Response to Hero or Killer : Since this is an place to speak your mind im going to be real on this case. First of all, Horn didn't see two robbers. Horn saw two black men. Why would he shoot two men stealing from someone he didn't know? Were they even stealing is the question. He said that they were coming onto his property. Then why were the bodies found on his neighbors yard with bullet wounds in their back. It's very racist because if someone of are color was to shoot two caucasions, we would've had life no parole. Say I'm wrong if you wish but I've seen it happen.
    Response to Left For Dead: This is just sickening. Only a person with no heart can do something so low and unhuman. What animal can sit there and watch an elderly woman fall to her death. Without saying one word. People sitting there, laughing, and carrying on as if no one is there. This scares me. This makes me not even want to be put in a hospital. Now that I remember, I never really had good care at a hospital. I've had good care at a clinic but never at a hospital. Aren't hospitals here to SAVE peoples lives and treat them or try to treat them. If my definition is wrong will someone please correct me.
    Signed: A mad black 15 year old girl

July 1, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  14. Louis De B.

Hello Anderson: I cannot help to be shocked by the commentaries regarding Mr. Horn's actions in Texas and by the decision by this Texan "Grand Jury" not to bring charges against him for murder. How can someone murder two people, practically premeditated cold blooded assassinations and not being brought to justice??? What kind of "JUSTICE" is this? On the other hand we easily imprison the addicted, the mentally impaired and the poor... What an irony!

July 1, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  15. Walter

Why can you not understand?
    IF THESE TWO THEIVES WHERE NOT STEALING OTHER PEOPLE'S PROPERTY THEY WOULD BE ALIVE TODAY
    KILL-THEM-ALL
    Dead Criminals are good. Joe Horn and other just like him are NO, None, ZERO threat to me. I have nothing to fear at all. But then I am not a criminal and you will not meet me coming out of someone’s home with items that do not belong to ME
    How is it no one gets this?
    Hey lets send the message loud and clear “You can break in and rob any home you want in America if someone sees you they will only call the police and you will have plenty of time to escape long before the police arrive”

July 1, 2008 at 11:14 pm |