July 1st, 2008

Erica's News Note: How not to get burned

Erica Hill
AC360° Correspondent

Hi all..

Today, I spotted some stories that could actually affect your life:

• For starters, sunscreen.. it's supposed to be THE summer accessory, right. But what if we’ve all been misled?! While I would look much better tan instead of my usual pasty white/pink, I also want to minimize my chances for skin cancer… and I’m not so into premature aging. Now we hear four out of five sunscreens don’t protect they way they promised to, and some could actually harm your skin. Don’t throw your SPF out the window, but you may want to give this one a closer look.
  • Have you ever been so embarassed you just wanted to disappear? I have, believe me.. So how would you like a geniune Harry Potter invisibility cloak – FOR REAL! Sorta.
  • Got children? Get this: in Missouri, the governor signs a bill to outlaw cyber bullying. In 2006, 13-year-old Megan Meier killed herself after being harassed online. Cyber bullying has all the makings of an epidemic, but the worst part is how tough it can be for parents to spot it and stop it.
  • And for those of you with younger children, wondering what they REALLY think of the books you buy, check out the book review - by kids.

And stories that make me go “hmm”…

• Happy Birthday, Nelson Mandela … for your gift from the US, how about we take you off the terrorist watch list? Yup, he was on it until today, along other members of the African National Congress. Why? Because they fought apartheid. I know, crazy – here’s the full story.
  • The military death toll in Afghanistan surpasses that in Iraq for the second straight month. Civilian deaths in Afghanistan are also on the rise, according to the UN, as the Taliban and insurgents step up attacks. Where is all this headed?

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. Jim, Bishop, Calif

Hi Erica,
    I Stay in side & when I go out I have to cover up being fair skinned
    & I sunburn easily. I found out long ago sunscreen only makes me burn faster & worse.

July 2, 2008 at 12:01 am |
  2. chuck batson

Those guys didn't belong in his house. I hope it makes everyone else that may choose to ingage in this type of activity to think again!!

July 1, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  3. Jolene

Hi Erica:

Doesn't surprise me about sunscreen but then again, after reading the article, I'm more confused now than I was before. I also question the testing. How do they really test these products? Is it consistent and reliable? Hmmm.

It's sad about the number of military deaths in Afghanistan. Reading today that Bin Laden is considered dying of kidney failure (again) makes one wonder and of course the pending concern around Iran makes one want to disappear in Potter's cloak!

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

July 1, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  4. Lilibeth

Thanks for the sunscreen link, although the brand I use isn’t one of those listed. I wear sunscreen all the time. Here in Washington state where we have always have cloud covers, I hear the UV rays are actually worse…go figure.

Oh, I can tell you a few times when I wish I could disappear! But I better not write it here…too embarrassing!

Yes, cyber bullying, along with other forms of bullying, is wrong. Hopefully other states will outlaw it too.

See you tonight,

Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

July 1, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  5. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    I can't say I'm surprised about the sun screen. I try to avoid sun exposure as much as possible. Casper the Ghost and I have a lot in common. It's not easy to live in California without a tan, but I'm willing to be kidded. It really does help your skin look less damaged.
    Harry Potter's invisibility cloak? Yes, I could use it daily. I could go to the beach and no one would see my tanless, white glow approaching fast, to blind them..

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

July 1, 2008 at 9:31 pm |
  6. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hey Erica!
    I believe in saving my skin from over sun exposure. I am a blonde and fair maiden ye see 😉
    So, like yourself, I too look better tan, therefore; I opt for the airbrush tan. . . works pretty good!
    No wrinkles for me. ( My grandmother avoided the sun and her skin looked great until she passed away @ 112 1/2. Of course she had a little face lift earlier in life. Is that cheating?
    thanks for the info!
    XXOO

July 1, 2008 at 9:31 pm |
  7. Sharon from Indy

Erica:
    The birthday gift for Nelson Mandela from the USA is embarrassing. I mean he won the Nobel Peace Prize 15 years ago.

I remember studying the South African apartheid in the 70s during sociology classes in college. I remember Americans were only starting to get a glimpse of what was really going on in South Africa.

But suppression and discrimination still needs to be fought in such places as Southeast Asia and India as well as the Middle East. And, let's not forget that many countries in Africa are still living under militant rulers.

Happy Birthday Mr. Mandela and thank you.

July 1, 2008 at 9:29 pm |
  8. Annie Kate

Erica

An invisibility cloak would be awesome; I have been so embarrassed a few times that I wished for the earth to swallow me or a large bird to swoop down and carry me off. I'm sure the cloak would get a lot of use at my house.

I can't believe Nelson Mandela was still on the terrorist watch list – how often does that thing get updated? Or is it a case of additions get done but deletions do not?

Sounds like on Afghanistan we may be switching our troops from Iraq back to Afghanistan instead of bringing them home. What a discouraging thought.

Annie Kate