June 27th, 2008

Two cents on the Clintons

Candy Crowley
Senior Political Corespondent

I have office fever. Two weeks at the mother ship is...let me count here...ok, approximately two weeks too long.

So I'm climbing aboard Air Obama.

Do you think he’ll make HRC sit in coach? I mean really-raise your hand if you think they like each other.

All right already – enough with Unity-minus-Bill-week. Let’s get the picture of the two of them with hands above their heads and move it along.

It doesn’t matter. Politics is the art of the practical.

And politically they are making this work. She tells everybody to support him. He says nice things about her.

Pretty much pitch perfect.

Around them–not so much...

There are Clintonites who think Obama ungracious — (and honestly when he was asked whether he was going to help pay her campaign debt, he said he told his rich donors they should give her money if they wanted but he didn’t have a "ten point plan").

Teensy weensy bit dismissive?

And there are Obamaites who think Clintonites are whiney sore losers.

Yada yada yada

And am I crazy or is this story on its head? I’m thinking she needs him more than he needs her.

By the numbers..

8 points: the size of Obama’s lead in CNN poll of polls (combo of all polls)

55% of female voters supporting Obama (more than exit polls showed for Kerry, on par with Gore and Clinton)

Filed under: Barack Obama • Candy Crowley • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Nannette

As an American Citizen living in Canada, I would just like to express how very much appreciated and "well thought of" the Clinton's are with the USA's neighbors to the North. MANY Canadians are watching with hope and great anticipation that Barak Obama will invite Mrs. Clinton to be his running mate for the Fall Election. UNSTOPPABLE would be an understatement... without question. Former President Bill Clinton will be the literal icing on the Democratic Party's Election Cake – as this man is one of the most highly respected and saught after speakers in the International arena to date. (If Americans do not realize this – they really need to). Here's hoping Barak Obama displays the great judgement capabilities that he projects by surrounds himself with the best possible supporting cast to win back the White House this Fall. I believe he will.

June 27, 2008 at 5:28 pm |
  2. Missy

Hey, Candy. Just sitting here thinking how nice it would be for Bill Clinton to call Barack Obama.

June 27, 2008 at 4:39 pm |
  3. Michael Grinberg

What about Chelsea, the FUTURE voice of the Clinton's? When is she ever going to endorse Barack, and help support him to return the disaffected "College Coeds Choosing Clinton" back to the presumptive Democratic nominee?

June 27, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  4. Lynda O'Neal

Dear Candy, Sen. Clinton can spend her summer one of two ways. The first would be going to fundraisers to eradicate this debt. The second would be campaigning for Sen. Obama. 55% of her voters say that they will vote for him, 20% will vote for Sen. McCain. That leaves 25% of 18,000,000 votes up in the air. I dunno, Candy, but that sounds like more than enough votes to swing the election in either direction. I think that this will go better for the Democratic Party (to include those downticket) if everyone realizes that they need one another at this point. Sen. Clinton can get her debt paid, none way or the other.,

June 27, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  5. Lis Alexandra from Capital of Texas

While we are on the subject of Unity, I will try to be as diplomatic as possible, As so often is the case, I agree with Candy, Does she need him yes, Like Will Smith in Men in Black, Barack can say "I make this suit look GOOD"
    What it all boiled down to, is he has that "IT" factor,
    [ . . .the one that won as 80 million plus votes found a winner on American Idol, the winner had "IT" ]. . .she doesn't have "IT", she could not buy "IT",
    [. . .as one comment was posted yesterday on AC360.com's Picture of the Day, Nancy Pelosi has "IT" , Hillary Does not ]
    Barack Obama has the Charisma to motivate millions, without even having met them in person yet, just look at his donation AND VOLUNTEER Roster, it speaks volumes that millions are willing to work for his campaign for free and dedicate full-time weeks, months on end and continue in doing so, to work for this Charismatic figure.
    No it is not a FAIRY TALE, but real people, like the single mom working 2 jobs, whose 9 year old daughter met Barack and got his autograph and spoke with him at a question session at a Town Hall meeting in Austin Texas this February. She had saved all her coins for 3 weeks previous so she could ask her mom to donate $10 to his campaign, her question is now on YouTube ("question girl" as she was nicknamed at the campaign office in Texas were she has worked for months along with her 19 year old brother who happily voted for Obama as a first-time voter). And all their family is thrilled, as much as I am proud to be their mother. . .yes he has "IT", he gets "IT", and he will win "IT"
    . . .But to be fair Hillary is is trying to put her best face forward, and while doing so is sporting a very Pretty and Politically Perfect Periwinke / PowderBlue Pantsuit while Poised Alongside the Future President. . . .
    BTW, please attend the 3000 hosted home events UNITING Obama and Clinton supporters across the US this Saturday !!

June 27, 2008 at 1:33 pm |
  6. JB

Let's not forget WHO the "unproven" commodity is here. Right now, many Clinton supporters, such as myself, will probably vote for Obama because McCain is such a dud. It won't be because Obama is our first choice. I don't expect him to pull off all that he claims he will should he get into office. With Hillary, I would have no doubts she would work hard to accomplish what she set out to do. Obama also needs to pull his nose down out of the air and understand that the general population doesn't appreciate "attitude" even though his younger supporters may think it's cute.

June 27, 2008 at 12:57 pm |
  7. Patrick Henry, Fort Myers

Candy...
    When on the road–make sure you stay away from the libations until AFTER you report O.K......

June 27, 2008 at 12:32 pm |
  8. Cecil Jones

Candy, would you want the Clintons working for you or against you? It's a no brainer of a choice, but the Clintons have a long history in this area. The key to the Clintons is proper management. It's like hiring Elton John to sing or Whitney Houston with a crack problem. They can put butts in the seats, but you don't know what type of performance you'll get. It will be spectacular for someone.

June 27, 2008 at 11:36 am |
  9. Janna

OK, I know I'm in the minority, but my hand is up. I really don't get all this talk about how they "tore each other apart" yada yada yada...
    What was the worst thing that was said? not enough experience? bad judgment? Doesn't seem all that bad to me in the scope of "dirty politics"...

June 27, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  10. Debbie, NJ

Obama doesn't need Hillary or Bill. He just wants to keep party unity which is the right thing to do.

June 27, 2008 at 11:29 am |
  11. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Candy,
    Four months or so and counting. November is a lifetime away or a blink of an eye, from arriving. I guess it depends on what side of the political aisle you plant yourself in. I just want the Town Hall meetings to begin. I want to hear two very different candidates be allowed to speak for themselves. I'm waiting on their answers before I believe any poll for sure. As always, love the post Candy.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

June 27, 2008 at 11:05 am |
  12. Heather

I can't imagine the two of them sitting together. Perhaps they will each sit on either side of the aisle. Hell be on the left/right shell be on the right/left depending on your view of seating. Yeah I know lots of punning here. OF course you have the grand gift of literary punning . Your the best Candy!

June 27, 2008 at 10:52 am |
  13. American Patriot

I too surmise her need for him is greater than his for her. She has been so ungracious, grossly self serving & "entitled" & he's been undeservedly respectful & gentlemanly thru out (better than Bill has been to her !). I fear her appreciation will be typical Clintonese sabotage & back stabbing. I pray he & those closest will keep a watchful eye & pealed ear on this . Billary can not be trusted & they are bitter !!!! I maintain hope that NY will dump her in the next senate race .

June 27, 2008 at 10:47 am |
  14. Kristen- Philadelphia, PA

Candy is it really called AirObama? That's pretty cool if it is. lol.

I am kind of starting to think they both need each other. Clinton maybe might need Obama more with the debt issue and all.

Keep your eyes peeled and your ears open, I want to hear all the juicy details. Hey can you take pics on there? I would like to see what it looks like with all the Obama/Clinton folks and the press.

Wishing you safe travels.

June 27, 2008 at 10:24 am |
  15. David, Boise

...did you just "yada yada yada" politics? You really DO need to get back out on the road! Keep it coming, love tuning in every night to see your commentary!

June 27, 2008 at 10:22 am |
  16. Annie Kate

What about the Clintonites that thing the Obamaites are whiney sore winners and the main impediment to unity? There have been a lot of comments on this blog to various posts that are from Obama supporters and the comments are hateful. If unity isn't achievable on a blog how can it be done in real life?

Obama probably doesn't need Clinton but he needs her voting groups. Maybe since he doesn't really need Hillary then does it really matter if Bill Clinton endorses him or not?

I'm glad I'm independent – the Democratic party doesn't look too welcoming right now to me.

Annie Kate