June 27th, 2008

Obama and Clinton... So happy together

AC360° obtained exclusive cell phone images from inside a meeting between Clinton fundraisers, Sen. Clinton, and Sen. Obama. Candy Crowley discuss Obama's donation to the campaign of his former opponent.

Candy Crowley
Senior Political Corespondent

Bloggees-

We are all aboard the love plane here at national airport.

So far so good for the dynamic duo.

They are seated next to each other exactly 14 rows up. Only now does it occur to me I should have hidden a tape recorder between the seats. But maybe it's more fun to imagine what they're talking about. Her debt? Her husband? His wife?

Are you sitting down?

They kissed while greeting each other on the tarmac.

Just a light brush on the cheek–he to her. Sort of like second cousins once removed who share the same last name but have never met before.

What? You were looking for substance at 9;30 in the morning?

Rolling down the tarmac–on the lookout for substance from Unity.

Wheels up

Filed under: Barack Obama • Candy Crowley • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Don Mitchell

If Barack Obama name Hillary Clinton as his Vice President and she accepts, would the 25 % of her supporters that said, "they would vote for John McCain change there minds and vote for Obama?"

June 27, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  2. Nicki Orsborn

A laptop or blackberry on a bus can relieve the tedium. Candy, you are a great journalist and I imagine a fun person. I remember you on Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas (when I lived there in 2000) standing in the cold rainy night across from the governor's mansion night after night waiting for the decision from Florida. That was my first time seeing you and I have watched you since and enjoyed every minute of it. You are the most objective and the most fair commentator on television on ANY network.

Nicki Orsborn
    Scottsdale, Arizona

June 27, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  3. Larry

There are too many old folk running for president; even Barack is 11 years older than the minimum required age of 35.

June 27, 2008 at 5:08 pm |
  4. Bettye Anderson

While I believe that Barack and Hilary can become amicable enough to save the Party, I do not believe that Bill should be encouraged to do anything! He did enough damage during his 'too often' left field comments! He needs to stay out of the way and all of the pundits and reporters should stop making a big issue about it. You are just fueling the flames of discord!

June 27, 2008 at 4:31 pm |
  5. Jeffrey

Simply put, Candy Rocks!

June 27, 2008 at 4:24 pm |
  6. nerakami, Miami

Candy,

I simply love your vibe ... !

June 27, 2008 at 3:00 pm |
  7. Kaye, Pensacola & Chattanooga, TN

Hi Candy – with all the hard work you do for CNN, you're entitled to take a break from "substance" every now and then; especially at 9:30 in the morning.

June 27, 2008 at 2:55 pm |
  8. Michael Grinberg

What about Chelsea, the FUTURE voice of the Clinton's? When is she ever going to endorse Barack, and help support him to return the disaffected "College Coeds Choosing Clinton" back to the presumptive Democratic nominee?

June 27, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  9. Nonnie

I don't like it. Not sure why; I just don't like it. Maybe I don't understand that kind of politics. Obama doesn't need the Clintons, which is nothing more than a continuing rotation of past crimes. I'm sorry he sold out.

June 27, 2008 at 1:52 pm |
  10. pittsburgh

Candy, I have to tell you, by husband(a Republican turned Democrat and I (who leaned toward Hillary) are voting for OBAMA. This is the first time in many many years that I am actually excited about an election-actually inspired and hopeful. I believe they are good, decent but most importantly, have the intelligence to lead this country back to where it belongs!!! Barack and Hillary-wow– what a force to be reckoned with!!!

June 27, 2008 at 1:36 pm |
  11. Alex

Hi Candy,
    As you said, looks good so far. But we'll see what happens when Bill finally enters the scene. Yesterday I heard you say you believe Hillary needs Barrack more than she needs him. I have to tell ya I'm not convinced. I have a feeling many many women are not pleased with the way Hillary was treated by the Democratic Party during the primaries. Because of that, Barrack Obama needs Hillary to get the unhappy folks back on track AND he is under the microscope (so to speak) as to how he reaches out to her. But I'm sure we're all eagerly waiting to see how this plays out. If Hillary & Barrack pulls this off, the Republicans don't stand a snowball chance in hell of winning in November. The upside of that, I won't have to worry what the heck McCain will do in a tight situation. The man flat scares me at times! But then so do the ultra liberals such as Barrack Obama.

June 27, 2008 at 1:27 pm |
  12. Sue

I didn’t trust O’Bama during the primary and I don’t trust him now. If Sen. Clinton knocked on my door and asked me personally to vote for him I would tell her NEVER! I think the whole thing was a sham and I will stay home in Nov. I have so much more respect for Bill Clinton not kissing up to O’Bama, I hope he never comes out for him or helps him in any way. O’Bama didn’t want the Clintons back in the White House so why does he want them on his side now that he cheated her out of it.

June 27, 2008 at 1:15 pm |
  13. JC- Los Angeles

Since you mentioned that Hillary and Barack Obama are seated next to each other, the only question I have is: are they sitting in an exit row? if so, is Obama against the window? Precarious position at best. Any rational person knows that these two do not like each other, their spouses despise the other candidate and it's merely a marriage of convenience. Hillary is a direct reflection of the American people today; she determined what she wanted, she ran up massive debt loads with no ability to pay them off and then tried to have someone else pick up the tab. Obama is no better. His finances were a disaster before he received book advances. If these two can't run their own finances, how can they run our nation's? As a registered, undecided independent, these are the questions that need to be answered, period.

June 27, 2008 at 1:00 pm |
  14. Susan

Candy:

You better watch out, all this sweetness and love can case you to go into diabetic shock.

I just do not understand why Senator Obama now has to"show the love " to Senator Clinton's female supporters. It is not as if they have to marry the guy. Are not they all Democrates who stand on the same principals? I think it is very strange? It kind of makes us woman look like a bunch of whinners that have to have someone else make up our minds. Is that not what perpetuates the sexism that they are so upset about ?

Happy Unity Day !!!!

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

June 27, 2008 at 12:19 pm |
  15. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

WooHoo Candy!
    I love it! Destination love shack! Do I see a new TV series? The Love Plane~hehe
    I could not be happier with the duo, oops I mean unity~
    Tis so exciting! 😀

June 27, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  16. frieda

oh! please..I am a hillary fan and I don't care how many show they put together I will not buy it.

the only reason she is kissing up to him is that she needs his money..10 million of it!!!

the sad thing is obama will flip flop his way to presidency ... I may vote for McCain not because of him but because of his wife...I like her..very classy

June 27, 2008 at 11:54 am |
  17. marcy

keep it up Candy maybe he'll give her a candy bar and you guys can spend an entire show about that! 🙂

have a safe flight.

June 27, 2008 at 11:48 am |
  18. carmen

Hi Candy, I love these reports. Feels like being there. See you tonight. By the way, you have the coolest neck jewellery on television. I have been meaning to tell someone that for a long time. LOL

June 27, 2008 at 11:44 am |
  19. Michele, TN

If I were Obama I would not pay her debt. He's paying for the money she used to bash him. I do not think she would be as supportive to his cause if she had won and he did not. Yes, Hillary could have won the nomination, IF more people had voted for her than for Obama. People just like him more and she just has to overcome that later, but for now, she has to suck up to a black man just to stay in the political game. Im sure it is a slap in the face to her from all the voters whom vow to never vote for a woman, but this type of adversity is what made black women so strong. Hillary's got her feet wet so I hope this is a wake up call to her to realize the types of changes that the people REALLY want. Americans are tired of corporate America running this country and Obama represents that. If Hillary wants to really make a difference for the next election, devote some time in the Senate truly helping "the people."

June 27, 2008 at 11:41 am |
  20. Janna

That sounds like fun, Candy. I can only imagine the electricity- not just between them but from all the story hungry reporters hanging on their every glance and innuendo. As I mentioned in your other blog, I believe they have true respect for one another. They obviously have the same ideals/agendas- hence the tight race. The tension is inevitable whether they were/are friends or not. The unity is just as inevitable when you are talking about two professionals who want the Repulicans out!

June 27, 2008 at 11:39 am |
  21. Cecil Jones

All this "Public Display of Affection" between the Clintons and Obama raises another possible scenario inside the Democratic Party. It raises the possibility of a "Woman Dark Horse VP" emerging that isn't Hillary. That dark horse for women could be "Speaker Pelosi." She was always anti-war, anti-Bush, and a key advisor to Obama. Be careful of what you wish for ladies because you may just get it.

June 27, 2008 at 11:32 am |
  22. Debbie, NJ

I don't trust the woman. She just wants her debt paid then after that Obama better watch his back.

June 27, 2008 at 11:28 am |
  23. Lori Severson

Is it really all about money? Does Barack Obama have to pay Hillary Clinton for her support?

June 27, 2008 at 11:19 am |
  24. Carol

I despise Hillary Clinton and anytime I hear her name my skin crawls, so I find this unity biz kind of sickening.

The thing that I will never understand is this pitch to get everyone else to pay off her campaign debt. What happened to the – down home with the people – ridin' around in pick ups – drinkin' an shootin' wit da boys – Hillary?

Where's the Hillary that was shoveling her message about how much she cares (cough) about the cost of health care and gas and people's homes in foreclosure, and bla, bla, bla....

Ok well that didn't work, and now Hillary is back to her old multi-millionaire self, in her multi-million dollar mansion, and she wants all of her old, pickup-driving supporters to help pay off her debts.

Sorry this just doesn't click with me, and although I like Obama, I am really sick of him sucking up to Hillary. Ok, we get it – enough already.

Do they think that the entire country suffers from short-term memory loss?

June 27, 2008 at 11:12 am |
  25. Clare from Orlando, FL

Well people.....get ready for a family reunion....Yes, it is coming. To all you Hillary haters and Barack haters rather you like it or not, we are family! Go and turn on your WE HAVE A DREAM speech. I love my country............

Obama '08/Hillary '08

June 27, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  26. Suzy

Candy, I always love your posts and the humurous take you have on things. Thanks for keeping us informed AND amused!

June 27, 2008 at 10:56 am |
  27. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Candy,
    Ah yes, Unity. It always amazes me that one day it's the Hatfields and McCoys and the next it's the good ship lollipop. I guess that politics. Perhaps things really aren't a changin after all. Happy trails. I can't wait to hear how this day ends as unity rides off into the sunset.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

June 27, 2008 at 10:52 am |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'd rather know what they were thinking about each other, rather than what they were saying to each other.

June 27, 2008 at 10:50 am |
  29. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Making the daisy chains, wearing the tie-dye, and finding the anti-nausea meds it will take to endure watching this farce today. At least you're having fun with it and see it for its reality. I think you'd have to be an EEG flatliner not to realize this is a production for the Obama lemmings by the Obama lemmings to try and get the Clinton supporters to drink the Kool-aid and jump off the cliff, too.

June 27, 2008 at 10:49 am |
  30. Mac -- San Jose, Calif

Candy, you're kind of like a political version of Peg Bracken or Erma Bombeck - smart & funny about mundane subects, always a joy to read. I miss them, so I'm glad to find you. Thanks.

June 27, 2008 at 10:41 am |
  31. Kent Fitzsimmons,Kewanee, IL

I hope Hillary supporters understand the importance of this election. Hillary made it clear in the above meeting when she talked about Dems winning 3 of the last 10 Presidential elections. That poll which still showed 23% of the Hillary supporters voting for McCain shows there are still some who are lost. You either want to help the people(Dems), or you don't (Repubs). It cannot be any clearer than that............

June 27, 2008 at 10:26 am |
  32. deborah, OH

Thank you, Candy–I can picture this is in my mind PERFECTLY. lol.
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry–PLEASE keep us informed–and thanks for the smile this morning-TGIF!

June 27, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  33. Kristen- Philadelphia, PA

Candy I always enjoy reading your posts. While I am not that impressed with this love fest, I guess I am all for whatever doesn't put McCain in the White House.

This kiss is a bit much I think. Maybe the hard feelings are really put aside or maybe these two just know how to put on a good show.

What an amazing job you have. You are sitting 14 rows behind history in the making. Have a safe flight.

June 27, 2008 at 10:17 am |
  34. Michelle

Candy this sounds like an interesting plane ride.
    I am looking forward to your play by play for tonight.

June 27, 2008 at 10:12 am |
  35. Cindy

Candy,
    Great hearing from you again! So you are on board for the "Unity" party huh!? LOL That should be fun! LOL And yeah to be a fly on the wall to get to hear what Obama and Hillary talk about would be something! I bet they leave Bill out of the conversation though! LOL Can't wait to hear from you again on how this little trip and party went.

Cindy...Ga.