June 23rd, 2008

Keeping a promise is one thing, flexibility is another

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/23/art.obama5.jpg]

David Gergen
CNN Sr. Political Analyst
Fmr. Presidential Adviser

As he heads toward a joint fundraiser with Hillary Clinton, this Thursday, Barack Obama is sure to come under more fire for his decision to reject public financing this fall. Much of it is deserved: he has clearly broken a vow on a matter of importance to many Americans.

Still, I think he showed a side of himself that voters needed to know was there. All along, there have been questions about whether he is tough enough to be President. He showed here that in the crunch he is no Bambi, that on a hard call, he has the inner will to prevail – even if he has to go back on what he has promised.

This is a longer argument, but in essence, our best Presidents have been those willing to reverse themselves and take the heat when it seemed necessary. It is not always attractive – and it isn’t attractive here – but it can be pretty darn important in the White House.

In this case, Obama could legitimately believe that his prodigious capacity to raise money can help to level the playing field with John McCain. Republicans have long shown they know how to raise money and use it effectively to bring down a Democratic candidate; while their coffers may be low now, who can guarantee that Republican oriented 527’s won’t fill them up this fall. Left unsaid so far is that Obama may also need extra funds to bolster himself as the first African-American nominee to run for President. As Washington Post poll yesterday found, 23% of respondents said that the race of a candidate was important in their decision – a sobering number.

Finally, we learned over the weekend, that with extra funds, Obama is planning a 50-state election strategy – a luxury no other Democratic could ever afford. It may not guarantee many more electoral votes, but if he does make it to the White House (and that remains a big if) it will sure help him with governing to have a grassroots organization in every state.

***

One other note, Cindy McCain is sometimes portrayed in the press as a Stepford wife who seems plastic and has little to say. That portrayal is actually unfair. If you want to know the real Cindy McCain, I recommend your reading the new Newsweek cover story. She emerges as a caring, independent-minded woman who has shown a great compassion for disabled children. It’s a very worthwhile read.

Filed under: David Gergen • Raw Politics
  1. Susan from Scotts Valley

I agree completely! I don't feel he broke his word to me. I feel he looked at the situation as it stands today and what will probably happen by November (what has happened in the last two elections with Republican-based 527s) and changed his mind. I, too, would prefer to have someone in the White House that is able to reanalyze the facts and come to a different conclusion if that will ensure success. He also has to help Clinton raise money AND do extra work because of the angry Clinton voters. John McCain doesn't have those challenges.

Susan

June 23, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Caleb Carr

Mr. Gergen;

What exactly is the pressure being exerted on CNN people to find everything Obama does, even the ethically reprehensible moves, ACTUALLY evidence of "strength and honor" (in the words of another farcical treatment of history, Ridley Scott's "Gladiator")?
    You're right, all great presidents have gone back on campaign promises - AFTER THEY GET ELECTED. The great "didn't stay bought" candidates - Lincoln, the two Roosevelts, Wilson - didn't start smashing their seductive promises until they'd secured the White House, and then only to find the best solutions to national crises possible - not the biggest pile of cash. Your historical analogy is therefore nonsense (as even your Boston colleague Mark Shields acknowledged), which is why you quote no examples. In fact, the only precedent for what Obama's done is well known: Richard Nixon.
    This is right up there with Ms. Power's admission that Obama, as president, won't feel obliged to live up to his promises on Iraq; again, a statement that they should have bothered to get the White House before making. What great noble commitment that so inspired the Obama messianic movement has the candidate actually STUCK to, can you tell us that?
    Truman Capote said that people lose one point of IQ for every year they live in Hollywood; looks like the damage is even worse for the Kennedy School, where former geniuses like yourself seem to go to find friends and lose principles and perspective. A real shame.

– Caleb Carr

June 23, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  3. s moss

I'm political junkie...I have to get a life
    Anyway, I've noticed Gergen leaning Obama for many months.
    Hillary was held accountable for her vote on Iraq and now Obama
    has to.Clinton's vote on Irag was years ago... His campaign finance statement was said months ago. I still have difficulty with 20 years in his infamous church.Believe it or not, I'm a registered Democratic [since Jerry Brown} and will not vote for Obama.Does anyone know who Obama is?If it makes you happy,I hope your candidate wins.

June 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  4. James Dylan

An excellent article, but it doesn't touch on my concern that an individual has the ability to buy an election; which is what I thought the purpose of federal funding was for, to do away with special interest groups and level the playing field. Obama has gone back on much more than his promise he has gone back on equality with in elections. It appears he cares for equality only if his opponent has an advantage and if he has the advantage, well he would be silly not to take it. So much for principles. As for the 527 republican groups, what is the difference with the ads Move on.org puts out?

June 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Corinna, Arizona

I do believe Obama is stronger than he is getting credit for, but as for Cindy McCain. I think you have the idea of the Stepford Wife incorrect. Stepford Wives look, act, and always behave in an appropriate way. I believe a womans true character is revealed when she becomes involved with a married man. As well as the character of the man. I understand having the privilege of disposable millions couldn't have hurt her chances to become his perfect little woman.

June 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Kathy

David, I truly respect your opinion. I believe that the money he is taking are public funds, provided by public donations, not corporate donations. As far as I know, the public financing fund came into existance to control the corporate donations, not private citizen donations. I also agree that a promise was broken, however, maybe a look back in history at words from Illinois' most famous citizen would smooth some ruffled feathers. It was Abraham Lincoln who changed his positions and admitted that he changed his mind. As the information around a situation changes, so to must our assessment of the situation. The individual who has never changed their mind based upon new information is the person I would not trust to lead this nation. Sounds like George Bush to me!

June 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Robert

I agree with your assessment that it took courage to reverse on public funding. However, public funding was put there to help those who ran but couldn't draw funds necessary for a national campaign. Obama has tapped non-standard sources of funds, at an average of $88/donation, while leaving PACs and lobbyists out of his financial mix. As far as toughness, he took on the largest most well organized political machine in our history and persevered to win the nomination. While McCain and the Republicans will be no picnic, I would rather face them than the Clinton machine in the general election!

June 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  8. i.s.

Dear Mr. David Gergen,

I have been listening to your commentary about the campaign on CNN for several months now. You have an amazing ability to have very sound judgement and perspective – one that is genuinely objective. The Obama campaign would do well to hire you as their consultant. I always look forward to hearing your thoughts and assessment of the various events that have occurred during this campaing so far – and I will continue to do so.

Take care.

I.S. from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

June 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Guess Who????

He think he's to good to accept the Public financing. Can't stand him.

June 23, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  10. khalid-pa

Either way he would have taken a hit. If anyone watches fixed news or listens to right wing radio host–he has a very big network he's going up against. He learned something from John Kerry hit back and hit back hard something dems don't do. Maybe if Al Gore wouldn't have tried to be a statesmen and been willing to do what it took to win we wouldn't be so bad off.

June 23, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Pam- NC

Thank you for your comments Mr. Gergen. I anxiously await your perspective and find you to be especially insightful and fair in your commentary. Regardless on who else has a comment, I want to hear your insights; I agree that making a change on a position takes courage and demonstrates strength. In regard to public financing, Obama's grass roots effort gives the public a real opportunity for active public engagement. He would be depriving citizens of this opportunity if he did not accept their support... I have made several modest contributions and believe that I am making a difference; its a privilege to have the chance to do so in a tangible way.

June 23, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Michelle

I agree with you Tish! Some people will try to find any reason they can not to vote for Obama. That's Okay..let them vote for John McCain and get exactly what they deserve.

June 23, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  13. EA

People let's put this into perspective. The fact that a LARGE protion of this mony will come from small donors, should silence all the flip-flop yap. I'd rather him change his position on something as meaningless as this, than the far larger issues like McCain has recently. Those blogging here condemming Sen. Obama are not voting for him anyway, so keep it zipped, bring on the real issues and media, please do a better job of finding real stories. Lots of people out tthere who don't bother to get involved on their own with real issues. They rely on the spin that the internet and TV people throw out 24/7.

Obama 08

June 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  14. Al-California

The last person I heard about getting every decision right was Jesus. Keep up the insightful commentary David. True leaders have the fortitude as well as intelligence to change their minds when situations so dictate.

June 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  15. BEA

Most of the people leaving comments here had never cared about public financing and all of a sudden we care that a man changed his mind..Obama made a decision..washington is upset about it because alot of people there have invested heavily in public financing and they are upset that Obama is going the other way..that's all it is...what he has done is not illegal so lets move on and focus on building America.

June 23, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Atilio

I agree David. We already learned what happens when we have a president who is stubborn and not flexible.

June 23, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Kent, Illinois

The average joe doesn't care that Obama decided not to accept public financing. We just don't care about that stuff. Does that bring down the price of gasoline or food? Does it ease the payment on my mortgage? No, on all counts. But, it matters to the Republican Party because they will have to deal with a Democrat running for President that has a boatload of money to fight off the GOP attack. That makes THEM angry. Not everyone else.

June 23, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  18. diane lake

If Obama went with Public Financing he would have been criticized by people like you, David and other pundits for being foolish and green. So, either way he would have been criticized by you guys.
    The way I see it is that either he uses tax payer money – money people donate but, don't have a say in who gets it. So, they would be funding a candidate they dont' support as well as the candidate they do.
    Obama's way he is getting funding by the people but, they know their hard earned money is going to the candidate they support only.
    And that is why the average person cannot see why you guys in the media are making such a big deal over it.
    As for his going back on his word, at the time who would have known his supporters would have sustained him to such an extent.
    And this money will go to help those downticket as well.
    I say it's a win for him. And for us, the people.

June 23, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Damian - Atlanta, GA

Interesting perspective on the "flip-flop," I don't think it will resonate though. And I don't think the American people will ultimately care about him rejecting public financing or his excuse for doing it. Obama will have a difficult summer trying to sell his message but the people will forget about this by August.

On Cindy McCain, you are right about her. She is a very interesting woman with amazing conviction. People need to give her time and learn her story.

June 23, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  20. Butterfly

ASked if you are a racist, most would say no. My answer to that would to read what you write concerning Obama. Because he's black, he has to do just what you want, how you want it, and when you want it. Most of you need therapy. This is the way war begin with thinking like you do.

June 23, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Dori in AZ

David,

Having a grassroots organization in every state opens up great opportunities, not just for votes, but for change in every sense. Even if Sen. Obama does not become the next President, imagine the possibilities of having that many more individuals actually concerned about what is happening in our country, in our government, and in the world. Wow.

If we'd had this kind of mass community organization in the 1960's – or at least, in the early 1970's! – perhaps we wouldn't be sitting here with an energy crisis, a financial crisis, a health care crisis, an environmental crisis, a lack of tolerance and peace crisis.... The non-issues would be non-issues, and we'd have more cohesiveness in addressing the true issues.

We'd be more whole.

June 23, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  22. cathy

Why did Senator Obama's change regarding public financing bothered me?
    It isn't so much that he reneged on his promise (and it was indeed a literal PROMISE). For me, it's the fact that he wouldn't be honest when he explained his reasoning for change. On top of that, he seemed quite comfortable and not bothered at all with what he was saying to us. He might as well have called me "Stupid". It was insulting and an untruth. I wouldn't want a friend who did that. Why would want a President who would?

June 23, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Ruth

Obama gave up on public financing because he knows he can get more money from his internet supporters, and therefore buy this election. He says it is partially because of the Republican 527's BUT if he is spending so much money, and McCain is limited because of public funding, then Obama is encouraging the 527's to spend on their ads. Obama is campaigning as a reformer but in reality he is really a typical politician. No reformer would ever consider spending the amount he is considering and no reformer would ever spend as much as Obama did in the primaries. And, David, I dont htink this shows strength in Obama, I think it shows him for what he is-a fraud. Why is the news media so lenient with Obama? It seems he will never be criticized for anything-everything is sweetened. I am disgusted and willdo a write in for HIllary.

June 23, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Shannon

Thank you for your excellent analysis. A president must be able to purvey a situation and decide what is the best course of action to accomplish a mission. There i no way that he could have known when he made the pledge the economic position that this decision would effect now.

Also, it is important to know that John McCain has been gaming the system for months now and is in court over his actions. He is not one to be casting stones.

June 23, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  25. Olivia, 17, Tucson

Referring to Barack Obama as "the man who beat her" probably isn't helping his election campaign...

June 23, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  26. JC- Los Angeles

Sue, if you review my comments, you will find that they are directed at David's comments about Senator Obama. I make no assertion that I am perfect and never will. I truly believe that all Americans, even you, deserve an apology from our politicians, executives and select members of the cloth. The American people have been let down time after time by leaders who seem to be practicing on the general public. Leadership has become one big hedge fund. Raise a ton of cash, tell people what they want to hear, pay themselves a ton of money, operate with flawed logic, clean out the common man and then claim ignorance. I am merely suggesting that we need someone to be right. Not wrong. Right. Period. Even you deserve that much respect Sue. As for running for POTUS, I have been asked by tons of associates who know me and feel I would do quite a good job. Since I don't come from old money or marry into it like McCain or since I don't make my living off book advances for stories about accomplishments yet to be achieved, I guess I'll have to settle for this forum for now. When I do run Sue, you'll be on my shortlist.

June 23, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  27. easy rider, East Tennessee

Perhaps Mrs. McCain needs to vanquish ALL her proceeds from the beer industry and donate to the DISABLED children. Each and ever penny from this year's profits. See who's calling whom a liar.

Give it up, Cindy, you can afford it, the DISABLED kids cannot.

June 23, 2008 at 9:51 pm |
  28. Steve

Sheesh David....talk about an Obama puff piece on CNN.com. You do yourself and your profession a great disservice.

There isn't anything inherent in Obama making this decision that means he is tough. In fact it is probably tougher to stick with a promise even when not doing so is to your benefit. I'm betting you would make the same argument had made the opposite decision. I can see you writing this.....

"All along, there have been questions about whether he is tough enough to be President. He showed here that in the crunch he is no Bambi, that on a hard call, he has the inner will to prevail – even if he has to stick with a promise when not doing so would more greatly benefit his campaign."

Talk about mailing it in..... nice work David.

June 23, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  29. Annie Kate

McCain made the hard decision early on to support the war in Iraq saying that he would rather lose votes than the war. Even though I'm against the war I respected him for that.

Obama though on breaking this campaign promise brings up the question – just how many more campaign promises will he break? Its starting to look more and more like Chicago politics of old, saying whatever it takes to get elected backed by huge amounts of money so you can literally "buy" people's votes. That was why the federal funding was put in place – to even the playing field; candidates should not be able to opt out of it. If Obama wins because he raised more money and got more exposure then the Presidency is just one more thing that favors the have's over the have nots.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 23, 2008 at 9:42 pm |
  30. Mike, Syracuse, NY

David, You make it sound like breaking his word was the courageous decision. I submit keeping your word, even when it goes against your own personal benefit, is the more courageous and yes presidential decision. In a country so cynical about politicians looking out for themselves first, how refressing it would have been to see something different. Obama had a chance to walk the walk with respect to change by breaking the self-interest mold. He blew it. I see it that when he had a chance to stand on principle, he caved. Seems pretty Bambi-esque to me.

June 23, 2008 at 9:41 pm |
  31. Cynthia

David, I think it was a brilliant move by Senator Obama to not take the public funding. As I see it all he is doing is leveling the playing field between he and Senator McCain. You and I both know that if Senator McCain had the capacity to raise money like Senator Obama he probably would have done the same thing. Having more money available to him and showing his tough side (Which I always knew he had – didn't show it with Senator Clinton becase se was one of his own.) he will hopefully ensure that he puts all states in play or at least make Senator McCain have to really work for what ever states he gets.

Cindy McCain should have not commented about Michelle Obama – since she said family members should be left out of the election.

June 23, 2008 at 9:38 pm |
  32. Jennifer

Mr. Gergen I thought journalist were to appear unbias. If this is the only issue were Mr. Obama changed his mind–so what? Mr. McCain has flip-flopped all over the place. If he can raise more money thru donations vs 85 mil, why can't he change his mind? He's already proven himself presidential by running his campaign, fundraising. I don't think that it's so far fetched that he may win th WH either. You obviously do and always have. As a woman of faith, I still believe that God has the final say in his fate. I pray that he continues on the path that lays before him all the way to the WH. Those that say they won't vote for him, weren't going to in the first place. Playing up this is another way to have the American people in an uproar. Doesn't he have enough to deal with facing the tactics that McCain has in his arsenal? Give the guy a chance. He definately can't do any worse than what we've had for the last 8 yrs.

GO OBAMA '08

June 23, 2008 at 9:35 pm |
  33. crookedpolitician

Wow!!!!!! Obama fans and Mc Cain fans are saying "my crook is better than your crook".

June 23, 2008 at 9:34 pm |
  34. ANGIE

so he changed his mind have we all not done that one time or another but look at mccain and the flip flopping that man does he has me so confused i dont know what he stands for and what he dont he flip flops just about every day mccain makes my head spin go to the barrack obama web site sign up listen to his message and he will explain why he changed on this

June 23, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  35. Alice

Now let me see if I have this right. A year ago I was on welfare. During the year I was able to pull myself up by the bootstraps and was able to earn enough money to support myself as my future became clearer to me. So I told the government that I would not need their money any more and will make it on my own and not on the back of taxpayers. Am I wrong?

June 23, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  36. Kathie,Ontario.Canada

When McCain changes his mind you brand him a flip flopper.
    When Obama goes back on his word over and over again
    he is flexible .
    What a joke .

June 23, 2008 at 9:26 pm |
  37. KateLynn

To quote another poster:

"Is he a Muslim, a Christian with a crazy pastor or a Communist atheist with a hippie mom?
    Is he ruthless and overly ambitious or naive and weak?
    Is an outsider who is "foreign" to our values or the country club goer?
    Is he too South Side, too "black" or too Hyde Park and elitist ? Does he resent white people or is he part of the elite that sneers at blue-collars?
    Does he not care about "little people" or is a socialist who will redistribute hard-earned money to everyone?"

David Letterman is right: The Republican party still look like "guys waiting to tee off at a restricted country club" and they are the party of the dirty tactics but it's very amusing to see them call Obama an elitist and a bare knuckle politician. He's caught them unprepared and they're tongue-tighted and are accusing him of opposite things.

Obama-Sebilius '08!

June 23, 2008 at 9:21 pm |
  38. Brad

I don't think Obama is proud of this decision. I think he was told that this is necessary to win. The republicans are a fierce bunch. He could lose this election for no other reason than the uninformed believing he's Muslim or the prejudice using a convenient excuse. That's unfair, that's not right – and this shows he's willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish his sincere goal to help the American people.

June 23, 2008 at 9:16 pm |
  39. Linda, Los Angeles

David, I think it is a bit more complicated then that. Obama needs to be able to run a sucessful campaign and if a primary cost over $230 million, what exactly will $84 million do??? Hard decision, but definitely the right one.

As for Cindy McCain, if you want to talk about the charity work she done, then let's also talk about the drugs she stoled from that same charity. Let's also talk about the federal charges that she faced, but served no time for. I understand that she has done good deeds, but she has also done some pretty unfortunate things.

June 23, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  40. James

David, I like your perspective. I have watched you many times on CNN Election Center. To me, this type of promise/broken promise/lie, really weighs absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. I can't believe people are actually up in arms about this. That tax money that was raised probably could be used to pay for something else the American people need. People are in such a hurry to find something negative about Senator Obama. So he broke this promise not to use public financing. AND? It's like saying, your Grandma has told you the truth all of her life while you were a kid, and when you needed $10, she said, I don't have it, but she actually did have it. You found out she really did have it, and now you think Granda is just the worst person in the world. Jesus, GIVE IT A BREAK... It's not that serious in the big picture. When he changes his policy stance to suit, lets say, lobbyist, then people can start to make a serious argument about him being a liar or whatever they want to say about him in a negative way.

June 23, 2008 at 9:11 pm |
  41. Tish-NC

Come on people grow up!! This is still politics and Obama needs to WIN!! Why would he not take the money!!! He had no idea how big his grassroots campaining would be!! Peolpe do want change and I think you are silly to think that everyone get's it right the first time!! That's why we have little things called mistakes!! Live and Learn!! No one has all the right answers all the time. ;o)

Obama 08!!!

June 23, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  42. Marla OK

Last fall during a TV appearance he did say he was going to take public funds and did not change his mind until it put Senator McCain in a bind. Senator Obama went back on his word to the American voters–his reasons are not credible. It is just another reason not to vote for a flip-flopper–someone I can not trust.. He has no credibility or judgment.

June 23, 2008 at 8:57 pm |
  43. Sue/PA

David,

I always value your opinion. Thank You. But, you forgot one thing. Sen Obamas GE campaign is being funded by "public financing". We, all the 1.5 million small $ donors, are the PUBLIC. Sen Obama is indebted to us, not lobbyists,PAC or special interests. But then again, I guess we do have a "special interest" in Sen Obama.
    I also agree with you on his being able to make the tough decisions based on what is happening now. Staying the course ( Bush/Cheney/McCain politics) is not always a means to an end.
    Sen. Obama has already proven himself to be a level headed and seriously insiteful leader on what matters most to the American people.

Almost Senior Woman from PA.......first time voter too...gives 50$ a month to Sen Obamas campaign.

ps. JC- Los Angeles............I never knew anyone as "perfect" as you. hmmmmmmmm why arent you running for POTUS??? You are always right the first time...amazing.

June 23, 2008 at 8:56 pm |
  44. bz

Mr Gergen – I am surprised by your position on Obama's decision.
    I would not characterize his move of his as "brave" or "tough" - its more typical to his true character: unethical, "do whatever slimy thing you need to do to win".
    He is arrogant and that alone will keep him out of the White House.

Frankly, I am surprised you have been so duped on this one.
    Maybe its time for you to step back, take a deep breath and really look at this guy.

June 23, 2008 at 8:55 pm |
  45. Mike in NYC

Gergen's just making excuses for BO.

Sticking to a promise is a true test of character.

So he'll need extra funds to overcome the "racial" factor? That 's pretty imaginative.

June 23, 2008 at 8:45 pm |
  46. JC- Los Angeles

David, as a registered, undecided, independent and someone trying to determine the true characteristics and abilities of our two remaining candidates, I'm perplexed by your thoughts on Obama's shunning of public campaign financing. You claim he has the "inner will to prevail-even if he has to go back on what he has promised." Say what? He admits he was wrong the first time and you praise him for that? Come again? You then claim we need leaders that can reverse themselves. Huh? Don't we deserve someone who is right the first time? It's as if our leaders practice on the American people. What about a leader that actually has intuition? You also mention his "prodigious capacity to raise money." It's as if our leaders are one big hedge fund; they all raise a ton of money, have flawed logic, admit their mistakes and then stick it to the man. The American people deserve someone that can get it right the first time, period. Right is right and wrong is wrong. I'm hopeful both parties can agree on that.

June 23, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  47. Mac -- San Jose, Calif

What I like about you, Mr Gergen, is that you have perspective - by which I mean, you've been around awhile (even longer than I have) & you seem to have paid attention to what went on. So refreshing, & I hope the youngsters listen when you talk, at least sometimes. Many thanks for your valuable contributions.

June 23, 2008 at 6:10 pm |
  48. Bryant Millner

Yes, the heat will come but he's to Kool to sweat...Cindy McCain is using the disabled children? I hope you're joking!!!

June 23, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  49. Suzy

I understand that he's gone back on what he previously said, but haven't we all done that at some point or another? To my mind, Obama made the best decision he could make a year ago with the information he had then. Now, the info is different, and so he made a different decision. Wouldn't it be better to have a president who makes a better decision with more information than staying the course even if he (or she) knows it's not the best way to go?

June 23, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  50. Cindy

David,
    They all lie!! So Obama is no different than the rest. You are right...he finally showed his true colors. He will lie, say what he thinks we want to hear, or what ever he has to do to win and get the job like the rest of the politicians. They are all the same...Dem or Rep!!

Man of change...yeah right!! How about man of the same ole same ole!?

Cindy...Ga.