June 20th, 2008

Obama’s Seal of Approval

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/20/art.obama.seal.jpg width=292 height=320]
Candy Crowley
Sr. Political Correspondent

Bloggees,

I know you can’t quite see me. I am here – buried in paperwork above my eyeballs.

Please don’t mention this to anyone, but it’s mostly a backup of plane flight, hotel, taxi, meal, and car rental receipts for three months of expense reports not yet submitted. If they had time to read it, that sentence would send a CNN accountant running to the Xanax drawer but they are busy at the calculator figuring how to amortize the cost of a primary season that went to approximately 48 more states than they planned and lasted five months longer. Oh well.

So I must submit this all today – so Monday someone will submit theirs and they will forget to yell at me. I can’t read the writing on the taxi receipts and they aren’t dated and I dropped a pile of hotel bills in a puddle in Indiana so they are unreadable and I don’t understand why I have to separate the hotel taxes from the room charge and whenever I do, the computer adds it up – and it doesn’t match the hotel bill. HEY- I didn’t study to be a CPA. Please send cheese for the whine.

Anywho, no deep thoughts. But I saw this picture of a wildly enthused Barack Obama at a meeting with governors and I had to share.

You are getting very very sleepy. When you wake up, you will imagine this man behind a podium with The Presidential Seal.

OMG blogees, this cracks me up. IT IS THE SIZE OF A FLYING SAUCER.
Beat 360°
But the best, the very best part is the Latin phrase in the inner circle: Vero Possumus. Painfully I tell you that means “Yes We Can”. I cannot swear to that because we didn’t do campaign slogans in my Latin class. But the campaign says that’s what it means and, honestly you can’t make this up. (A quick internet check says the translation is “in truth to be able”.)

I’m no image consultant, but I’m thinking this doesn’t do much for the current mission to assure voters he is not an elitist. To be safe, he should not pack that thing for a trip to rural Pennsylvania.

The campaign tells us this is the first time they’ve used this seal…. …

Should we tell them?

Filed under: Barack Obama • Candy Crowley • Raw Politics
  1. TESAP. SAVANNAH, GA

??? What's the big deal.... is this really an issue.??????

June 23, 2008 at 9:10 am |
  2. Delphine, Netherlands.EU

I agree with the seal, and i dislike all those negative comments on Obama.From our european vieuw he still remains the best choice as US new president.Simply because it's not responsable to put an 71 years old grandpa at the job.
    Onfotunatly, there is still a lot of hidden racism on those negative comments ...sad but true.

June 23, 2008 at 5:14 am |
  3. Lilibeth

Mr. Obama's campaign has done a lot of things right...except for this one. I would have chosen a different Latin phrase. I mean, you can't help but laugh when you see the word "possumus."

June 23, 2008 at 12:22 am |
  4. Lisa

The seal looks ridiculous. Its way too big and distracts from him. He's being upstaged by a fake presidential seal, doesn'w say much for Obama. Its tacky, cheap and disrespectful to use the Presidential Seal as a prop for his campaign. This man will stoop to any level to win. Can't wait to see him in real live debates to expose the real Obama, yes he stutters when he doesn't know what to say. How will he cope without his speeches and large crowds chanting for him. He will be shown to be as fake as his fake presidential seal.

June 22, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  5. seah ohio

Isn't that illegal to do?

A senator and lawyer would know it is illegal.

He has gone out of his way to make a mockery out of the Position of The President.

Has worked hard to turn people against their president and their government.

Make you wonder, what the heck he is actually up to.

Should he get away with it? NO he should not.

Any one have the Guts to stop him? ?????????????????

June 22, 2008 at 8:16 pm |
  6. Spider

The man has never had an original idea in his life.

June 22, 2008 at 1:02 pm |
  7. Garrett Osborne

As savvy a political consultant as David Axelrod is you'd think he would have nixed this semiotic nightmare. Oh well, I'm an Obama man but it is hard when your guy's guys dress the campaign in clown's suits.

June 22, 2008 at 12:12 pm |
  8. Pat

I think Obama should follow up on the SEAL with a Hit Song from the Eagles given that Big Bird pearched in the Centre of the ...Maybe
    he could use "Wasted Time or Desperado." I can see Tacky HomeMade Versions riding around on the back windows of Obamonites Cars Now! A Real Saving on Advertising Costs.

June 22, 2008 at 11:27 am |
  9. Lerod

Coming from an African American male, I find Obama, shallow, arrogant and unworthy of the office of President. I agree with Mike from Syracuse, put him in an unscripted setting and he fumbles, stutters and searches for the most politically correct thing to say. As a lifelong Democrat, I cant wait to pull the lever for John McCain

June 22, 2008 at 10:52 am |
  10. Alex

Talk about the height of arrogance.....this seal things is nothing more than a joke! Now Obama is wearing his pin, has his seal...what next....Knighthood? He really is starting to look like a clown. How Presdential....your majesty! Get a life Obama!

June 22, 2008 at 10:25 am |
  11. tammi vancouver canada

hey candy love reading your post
    u make me laugh..... keep up the
    great work have a good weekend
    stay safe

June 21, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  12. Mark Brafford from Otsu, Japan

Why doesn't he use the seal of the State of Illinois or the office he holds if the Senate has one. To make one up is like a prop to a new Star Trek movie.

June 21, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  13. Big Joe

This is a joke. Obama, very inexperience to be a president, is so ambitious. He wanted to change everything in America, including the great presidential seal. Sometime, when I see the kind of support he is getting, I wonder if I am watching a movie. Which part of Obama represent the change he is preaching? Is it the typical Chicago politician, full of liars and very corrupt, who preaches onething but does the other? I am sure if he becomes the president, his face and that of his wife and kids would printed on our currency.

This can only happen in America. Barrack Hussein Obama is a hypocrite, who cannot keep his words. America wake up to this ambitious hypocrite

June 21, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Harley, Boston

All pols are arrogant, many bordering on megalamania. It takes that level of arrogance to actually believe you are THE best person in the country to be elected leader of the free world. Or a senator, or governor. We rarely see the "real" person. They are "handled" to the point that mistakes happen. This was a stupid mistake but we have to admit that by and large the man has run a brilliant campaign. Perhaps thats a harbinger of how he'd run an administration. Not 100% perfect 100% of the time, but all in all well managed. Can we say that about recent administrations?

June 21, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  15. Mary Lou Harden

Candy,

How sad it would be if you could not incur expenses! So, chin up - just do it and be done with it (til next month, of course!)

The picture with the seal suggests arrogance – haughtiness - not a good idea. Humility is a virtue to be sought after.

June 21, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  16. Paris

This is the height of arrogance and a reflection of Bad judgment.

This shows the level of respect Obama has for what represents the highest office of the nation.
    This is as bad as changing or altering the flag of the United State of America.
    What’s next our flag with his face on it?

June 21, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  17. daniel chartian

I agree with the seal, it show how bad he want to be in the white house it give him more respect and also tell people what he want so goog one for you obama.

June 21, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  18. gabriel mackabee

As far as obama making use of the "race card", i think he has every right to bring his race to the forefront> Not as a negative but as a positive. Fear of of the intelligent black man has been alive and well since the beginning of this country. HE is onlly expressing the real truth!!!!!!!! His opponent will probably stop at nothing to make us afraid of him,these tactics have been seen before and will not be successfull.

June 21, 2008 at 9:56 pm |
  19. Rob from Detroit

why is so many people afraid of obama's seal

June 21, 2008 at 9:55 pm |
  20. Rob from Detroit

There is nothing wrong with the seal

June 21, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  21. Steve (Portland)

You have generally kept to the real news, but the other night you pushed my limit. You went down the path of Michelle Obama's loyalty to our country and the (lack of) positioning of Muslim women in the audience during Al Gore's endorsement. I turned you off before a potential segmet on lapel flags came on.
    Why can't you take the lead on defining the difference in each of the candidate's strategies on the issues-Iraq, the economy, health care, pensions, oil dependency, etc and help give voters a choice on the real issues.
    Why must you also resort to the "soft " issues?
    Are we all that shallow?

Steve L (Portland, 0r)

June 21, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  22. Wendy

As an Obama supporter I must say the seal is a little much. I don't understand why people refer to his supporters as a cult. Hey bk I just saw Obama at a town hall meeting in Bristol VA and it was wonderful. Hope you get the chance to attend one and see the real Obama!

June 21, 2008 at 7:42 pm |
  23. Karen-Phoenix

Love it!!! Obama all the way to the White House!!

June 21, 2008 at 6:31 pm |
  24. Patricia of Southern California

I think the seal adds a touch of class to Barack Obama"s campaign. If we remember this candidate is making history and has done none of the conventional things that have been done in elections of the past. This man, Barack Obama is definitely about "Change". And Buzzard's Corner, I totally agree with you, "SOMETHING BIGGER IS HAPPENING HERE!!!!!! And it is a forward "Movement". I am so excited. They can't stop us now. YES WE CAN!! Go Obama 08'

June 21, 2008 at 6:01 pm |
  25. jim

Third try to get this through arbritration. The seal won't do Obama any good. The arrogant pompous Obama is going to lose the election . I guess opinions from independents don't count at CNN

June 21, 2008 at 3:57 pm |