June 20th, 2008

Morning Buzz: Politics and pregnancy pacts? Oh my...

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/20/art.mccain.flag.jpg]
Good Morning...

Here are a couple of the topics we are looking at today...

Sen. John McCain is firing back....late Thursday he accused Sen. Barack Obama of breaking a promise when he decided to forgo public financing in this fall's campaign and Mccain said that Obama's move to drop out of the system "should be disturbing to all Americans..." "Sen. Obama's reversal on public financing is one of a number of reversals ... that he has taken," "This election is about a lot of things, but it's also about trust. It's also about whether you can take people's word. ... He said he would stick to his agreement. He didn't." AND McCain said that Obama is "just another typical politician who will do and say whatever is most expedient for Barack Obama." BUT BUT BUT he also said that "he may decide to opt out, too." Ahhh gotta love politics... Well, John McCain will be in Ottawa today talking NAFTA, so I am his attacks on Obama will continue....Dana Bash will be along for the ride....Candy Crowley covers Obama, who meets today with Democratic Governors....

Gary Tuchman
is still helping folks fill sand bags, well I am sure he would if he had time between his reports...Gary is keeping his eye on residents along Mississippi who brace for more flooding and more levee breaches possible in Missouri....

AND Randi Kaye is headed up to Gloucester, Massachusetts...get this...a bunch of 17 year old girls made a pact to get pregnant and raise their babies together....Principal Joseph Sullivan told Time magazine in a story published Wednesday that the girls confessed to making the pact after the school began investigating a rise in pregnancies that has left 17 girls at the school carrying a child. Normally, there are about four pregnancies a year at the school....FOUR pregnancies a year...what is going on in Gloucester? Randi Kaye Investigates...

Filed under: The Buzz
  1. Kelly, GA

I've read elsewhere that school officials and parents are blaming movies like "Juno" and "Knocked Up" for the foolish situation those girls have gotten themselves into. I don't think that's fair. Millions of people saw those movies. Those girls are simply moronic! Movies or not- Ellen Page didn't come after those kids with a turkey baster.

I wonder what is going to happen to the men who impregnated them. Will the girls' intent to get pregnant negate any kind of financial compensation? These girls are doing a great disfavor to all women, I think, if the cases go to court and the girls cry foul. If they lose, they empower the horrendous "they wanted it" notion often wrongly stuck to women in rape cases.

June 20, 2008 at 12:59 pm |
  2. Heather

At least Gary wasnt filmed sitting in a row boat in ankle deep water like another network reporter during Katrina. Bravo to Gary! Its a horrible heart breaking situation that justs seems to be getting worse. What choice does McCain have. He has to play the same game if he wants to win. Obama is a very smart politician who has been working on his stratedy. How classy and clueless. A pregnancy pact.I guess it speaks for itself. These girls have no idea of what they are in for. I guess upon graduation they can apply for welfare.

June 20, 2008 at 12:41 pm |
  3. Tammy, Berwick, LA

If I was 15, didn't see myself leaving a dead end existence, and knew the government would pay for my medical care, finance my baby's bills for life, and finance mine, pregnancy would not be a bad deal. Oh and if I thought that baby would bring unconditional love like a puppy and knew my mama or grandma was going to raise the baby for me, I'd definitely be ready to get knocked up. This is how these kids think. I teach them. We had 10 girls 18 and under pregnant at my school this year. Half gave birth and the rest are still waiting. No child care is provided on site. No birth control is provided. Sex ed is what is provided in health (and it's part of the governor's abstinence program-thanks so much to the state for letting schools teach what doesn't work). Some of these are "prom babies". The girls purposely try to get pregnant on prom night so they don't have to deal with life once they graduate. Faulty logic because they then end up with a baby for life, but...Many non-prom babies are just something to love and give love back (the something is on purpose because these infants are objects like baby dolls to these girls). And the boys see it as a sign of manhood if they have multiple kids for multiple girls (and many don't take care of them unless legally forced to do so), It 's a decision these kids make. It has nothing to do with parenting. The best parents in the world can end up with a pregnant 16-year old or a son who's the daddy if these teens decide to have sex despite the parents' best efforts. Looking forward to hearing about the pact. I wonder how many other schools have this and no one has figured it out yet.

June 20, 2008 at 11:03 am |
  4. Joanne

Wasn't everyone outraged when Bill Bennett said that John McCain doesn't listen to anyone but himself? I don't remember the exact quote but during the discussion of Obama's funding decision, Bennett went on and on about how McCain doesn't listen to anyone. Bennett saw this as an asset but last time I checked, the President of the United States needs to listen to his advisors!

June 20, 2008 at 10:55 am |
  5. Susan - North Haven, CT

It's disturbing to see that democrats are so accepting of Obama's dishonesty with regards to this money issue. He is using finances to overcome McCain – much like he used petty legal tactics to eliminate his opponents in the 1996 Illinois State Senate race. There's a pattern here that points directly at the core of who Obama really is, and I, for one, do not like what I see.

June 20, 2008 at 10:43 am |
  6. Mike, Syracuse, NY

You Obama supporters are missing the point. Obama had already committed to use public financing. Now he's backing out. So he's given up his principles for personal gain. How is that 'change'? What else will he renege on? The Washington Post reports that he's told the Iraqi Foreign Minister to not worry about his public statements on withdrawing troops. Everyone with a brain knows he won't be able to withdraw as fast as he says without throwing Iraq into chaos, for which he will be blamed. He won't even go to Iraq. He claims to be for the troops, but hasn't visited the guys fighting in almost 2 years. Some commander-in-chief. His campaign told the Canadians to disregard his public anti-NAFTA comments. Now, after bashing NAFTA in the primaries against Clinton, he is suddenly a free trade supporter. What's with that? Is he for NAFTA or against it? So Kristen, if you think McCain's positions aren't clear, try looking at Obama's. He doesn't even have a position on energy. McCain wants to increase exploration (favored by 67% of Americans) and build 45 new nuclear power plants. Obama wants to raise taxes. Which do you think will produce more energy?

Re the Gloucester girls. I'm not in favor of abortion, but in this case these idiots shouldn't be allowed to breed. We certainly don't need those genes passed on to another generation.

Good coverage on the flooding. It would be helpful to understand the responsibilities of the various government groups. I know the Army Corps of Engineers built some of the levees, but it seems like not all. Who built/owns/maintains the others? Since we've now had two 100 year floods in the last 15 years, is there any consideration to moving communities that have been flooded to hugher ground above the flood plain? Some towns did move after the '93 floods.

June 20, 2008 at 10:40 am |
  7. mike - Baton Rouge

great show... i enjoy the blog... keeps me on my toes

June 20, 2008 at 10:39 am |
  8. Bianca, New York

Good morning all

John McCain continues to run his mouth- I am not surprised at all. McCain's comments continue to show that there is no connection between his brain and mouth. Before he criticizes Obama and questions his trustworthiness, maybe McCain should take a good, long, hard look in the mirror. He needs to focus on proving to the people that he is the right candidate, not that Obama is the wrong one.

I'm very excited to see Randi Kaye's report on the 17 pregnant girls. That is absolutely insane. If they wanted to raise their children together, then they could have waited 5-10 years later. However I must mention that they've got nothing on my school. There is about 30 girls right now who are pregnant.

June 20, 2008 at 10:37 am |
  9. carmen

Hello Everyone:
    I too like the new site and the fact that it's dedicated. Love the show for the most part. My only preference would be to see LESS of James Carville. I find his accent hard to understand, what I manage to decipher not credible and the close ups of his face distracting. I am convinced that he and Lanny Davis are the Democrats' biggest liabilities in this election and in the demise of Hillary. There, I feel much better.

June 20, 2008 at 10:21 am |
  10. Melissa

Although I have never seen the movie Juno (by choice), from what I could see in the previews was how trivial and funny teenage pregnancy was. The fact that society and parents take teenage out of wedlock pregnancy lightly does not help. I think the school should stay out of it altogether – their job is to teach math, history, etc. It is up to the parents to teach the life lessons and obviously they've failed. The schools should not be picking up the pieces by providing daycare, birth control, etc.

Af for McCain, didn't he just flip flop on drilling oil earlier this week?

June 20, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  11. Julie San Diego, CA

Randi,

I want to hear the other side of the story. Go find out who the "donors" are for all these pregnant girls.

We blasted the overwhelmed mom who left her child at a WalMart. No one even questioned that "dad" wasn't taking responsibility for the child.

Last I checked, males still impregnate females – unless of course, you're a seahorse 🙂

Why is pregnancy always a "women's issue"? All men have to do is be good Boyscouts ("always prepared") and the problem is solved.

We let the guys off the hook far too easily.

June 20, 2008 at 10:09 am |
  12. Karen

PLEASE do some reporting on this rather than talking heads, politics and teen prenancy,,,,Thanks in advance, I think,,,,

June 20, 2008 at 10:02 am |
  13. Montana

Am really liking the new format of this blog and site. It is more user friendly.

Enjoyed the show last night and look forward to being a more active participant here.

Montana

June 20, 2008 at 10:00 am |
  14. Karen

I am tired of all the political stuff, while The Large Hadron Collider looms over our planet,,,,,The stuff they are getting ready to do with this EXPERIMENT is based largely on THEORIES of what will happen and not FACTS,,,,,Some of the THEORIES, if wrong, could END our planet,,,,,Hello????

June 20, 2008 at 9:57 am |
  15. michelle: Ont,Canada

Good morning AC Staff
    I'm looking forward to seeing the stroy about the teenage girls who
    made the pregant pact .This should be under the catorgory 'What were They Thinking ? . Have a great day everyone !

Michelle D.

June 20, 2008 at 9:48 am |
  16. Annie Kate

I've heard of a lot of different kind of pacts but never a pregnancy pact. Just how many girls made this pact? I am really looking forward to this report to see why a teen age girl would want to even do this. Just wait until labor and delivery and then the 2am feedings and colic and dirty diapers – they may rethink this one but of course its too late now. Anderson might want to label this report as a "do not try this at home or school" story.

I'm sure Gary is helping out between his reports – he's a nice guy. I loved that he got attention on the Daily Show from Jon Stewart....

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 20, 2008 at 9:15 am |
  17. Michelle

Let me get this straight. Americans are supposed to be upset
    because Obama will not be taking 84 mil in taxpayer money.
    Not. Obama has created a political movement that the news
    media just can not fathom. The man has found a way to get
    ordinary citizens involved in democracy. That is a good thing.
    I am not sure what to think of the pregnancy story. Are these
    girls a part of a clique ? Thanks for wonderful reporting of the
    flooding in the Midwest. My thoughts and prayers are with the
    people of the region.

June 20, 2008 at 8:53 am |
  18. Cindy

Well you really can't expect John McCain to stick with the public financing if Obama isn't. If he did then Obama will have way more money to spend to run against him. So really I mean what's good for one is good for the other.

I hope that Gary stays safe out there with all of those levees breaking! But I have enjoyed him being there. He does great stories!

I can't believe that all of those young girls in Gloucester made pregnancy pacts and 17 are now pregnant. That is crazy. Where were these girls parents at? You really can't blame the girls they are just doing what they are allowed to do. Plus they really have no concept of what being a parent is.

It seems the parents and school are failing in teachings these kids. And now I hear that they are wondering about giving out birth control at the school. But if they wanted to get pregnant that would not have helped.

Cindy...Ga.

June 20, 2008 at 8:15 am |
  19. Shana

How dare McCain, isn't he the pot calling the kettle black. He has done more flip flopping than a fish trying to get off of a titanium hook. Come on now, this sounds like a "Mommie, he said.....". Remember when you were five or six and told Mom everything-that is how Senator McCain is behaving with the public. Senator Obama's campaign tried to negotiate with McCain and his people and as usual, he refused to cooperate and then chose to point a finger at Senator Obama. I have worked with people like that and God forbid "He" lets them into Heaven. I understand that the media will b looking for news. Two good pieces were Michelle Obama on "The View" making an impressive showing and Mrs. McCain showing her human side in Vietnam. McCain may be considered a senior in age, I just wish he wuld start acting like he has a distinct level of maturity. My great grandmother lived to be 100 and my grandmother is 82. I could not fathom either one of him making the senseless pundits that he has made.

June 20, 2008 at 8:05 am |
  20. Kristen- Philadelphia, PA

Morning Yall…McCain is just running his mouth to try and boost his own failing campaign. Very few people must have thought Obama would agree to public financing after raising over $200 million dollars thus far. It wasn’t rocket science to figure he was going to opt out infact he would have been stupid to agree. Considering the number of people donating to the Obama campaign thus far I don’t think many folks will buy into McCains fuss, I’m sure not. McCain has become so great at nit picking with Obama’s campaign, I have a suggestion for him…he needs to work on his own. Right now where he stands on many issues is not that clear and he doesn’t even know how to give a speech. I’m mean I think that should be a basic requirement...Presidential candidate things to know how to do: #1 give speeches.

I might just have to stay up and watch Randi Kaye’s report tonight. This is so unbelievable. Where are the parents of all these girls first of all, second the school needs to be taken over by someone who is a tad bit more socially conscience, because apparently they are completely clueless. Four pregnancies a year…that isn’t mind boggling???? The school system in Massachusetts really needs to do an overhaul in this school because they are really failing these kids, literally. First thing on the list get rid of the free daycare for students with babies. What ever happened to the stigma in being an unwed mother or teenage mother? Guess we have the all the no morals celebs who parade their out of wedlock babies in magazines to thank… oh yea and Jamie Lynn Spears to she is setting a fine example. It’s now become cool, unbelievable.
    I feel for these 17 babies who are about to be brought into apparently an absolutely clueless town.

Oh yea…Its FRIDAY 🙂 ... Have a great weekend everyone