June 20th, 2008

Evening Buzz: Midwest Misery (and finally hope)

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/20/art.sandbags.jpg caption="Residents, volunteers and National Guard troops work to build a sand bag levee around the town of in Hamburg, Ill. Friday, June 20."]
Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on 360, a mix of misery and hope. In some parts of the midwest it's getting worse. In other places, it's getting better. At this hour, there are still concerns more levees along the Mississippi River could break north of St. Louis, Missouri. We'll take you back to the town of Winfield, Missouri. 360's Gary Tuchman is with one family whose home is now literally an island. It's surrounded by water. And, CNN meteorologist tells us what to expect in the days ahead.

Also tonight, levee outrage. Drew Griffin of CNN's Special Investigations Unit has another remarkable report for us. The question: Are the levees built to control the Mississippi actually causing worse flooding? You may be shocked by what he discovered in his keeping them honest report.

On the trail, Sen. Barack Obama said this at a Florida fundraiser: "They're going to try to make you afraid. They're going to try to make you afraid of me. 'He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And, did I mention he's black?' " Is Obama playing the race card before the GOP possibly deals it out? We'll let you be the judge.

Also tonight, 360's Randi Kaye has her report on the alleged high school pregnancy pact. And, we have new details in the manhunt for fugitive hedge fund manager Samuel Israel in our Crime & Punishment report.

It's a busy Friday night. We hope you join us at 10pm ET. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Rob from Detroit

early on
    sen. Obama made it clear that the US should invest in it's own infrastructure. but knowbody listened now we got levee'scollapsingObama in 08 straight Dem ticket

June 23, 2008 at 12:54 am |
  2. Donald Caldwell

If you live near a major river don't act surprised that the river flooded. It is sad that the rivers in the Midwest have flooded but it is natural.

June 22, 2008 at 4:28 pm |
  3. Stephan Daniel Heiser

Well first I would like to say hi, then I would like to say whatever to what Baracka Obama says, I will not believe, not for a sec. No it has nothing to do with the fact that he is black, it is as a senitor I do no not like him. I would never vote for him as president. Here is my opinion we needed somebody like Mike Huckabee in office running. He had the morals that a Christian should have. Another thing yes Im still a Bush supporter. Do I support everything He does? No. But as our president I support Him. My final words I would like to say, May the 1 and only God, the God who brought us out of the land of Egypt; the land of slavery. {Bless you} His name you ask- Well His name is- JESUS CHRIST!

June 21, 2008 at 6:42 pm |
  4. penny from Va

Hello Anderson,
    I Hope the water in the midwest receeds soon and I am still Obama supporter because McCain is just too OLD.
    I wanted to say "Thank you" on your work with animals and the environment because I think animals are like our survival thermometer. If they don't survive on the land then we also will have problems with survival on earth. Furthermore, they have the strongest sense of survival especially the intelligent animals. Again "Thank you"!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  5. Mariann

Just a personal observation...as I watched the news coverage of the massive flooding in the Midwest with over 100 blocks of the city of Cedar Rapids, Iowa under water, levees breaking, and the attention now turned downstream for when this massive amount of water hits the Mississippi, what amazed me is not what we saw, but what we didn't see...

1. We don't see looting.
    2. We don't see street violence.
    3. We don't see people sitting on their rooftops waiting for the government to come and save them.
    4. We don't see people waiting on the government to do anything.
    5. We don't see Hollywood organizing benefits to raise money for people to rebuild.
    6. We don't see people blaming President Bush.
    7. We don't see people ignoring evacuation orders.
    8. We don't see people blaming a government conspiracy to blow up the levees as the reason some have not held.
    9. We don't see the US Senators or the Governor of Iowa crying on TV.
    10. We don't see the Mayors of any of these cities complaining about the lack of state or federal response.
    11. We don't see or hear reports of the police going around confiscating personal firearms so only the criminal will be armed.
    12. We don't see gangs of people going around and randomly shooting at the rescue workers.
    13. You don't see some leaders in this country blaming the bad behavior of the Iowa flood victims on "society" (of course there is no wide spread reports of lawlessness to require excuses).

June 21, 2008 at 10:20 am |
  6. CharlieK

Obama's comments including race are typical Democrat. He will play the race card by saying that he is not playing it. His Democrat defender did a good job of lying and deflecting the issue and the Republican lady let him get away with it. Some strategist! The Lib harped on Willy Horton like a broken record, it was the only example he had, and he was deliberately deceptive. The Willy Horton matter was brought up by Al Gore and until Democrats told people differently his race was not identifiable in the ads.
    Beware America! The Democrats do what they accuse their opponents of doing. And they just keep on accusing, just like Josef Goebbels, until they get people to believe them.

June 21, 2008 at 9:47 am |
  7. David B.

Regarding Barack Obama's comment, he's not the one playing the race card. I live in Atlanta, and I can tell you I've seen and heard nothing but more and more racist comments from conservative voters on the net and in conversations.

If you want to really focus on who's playing the race card, why don't you cover that button that sold at the Texas GOP convention remarking if the White House would still be called that if Obama was elected?

June 21, 2008 at 3:50 am |
  8. Ben David

Anderson, you asked the question, Did Obama play the race card in his speech Friday? The answer is rather obvious, he did and this is not the first time. He played it early as December 06 in New Hampshire when he said, “minority candidates have ‘a higher threshold in establishing themselves with voters.’” Jump forward to January 08 and the campaign’s strategists turned the primary and caucus race to their advantage when they deliberately, falsely, and successfully portrayed Senator Clinton and her campaign as unscrupulous race-baiters. If one would look and research what actually happened it shows that the charges that the Clintons played the "race card" were not simply false; they were deliberately manufactured by the Obama camp and trumpeted by a credulous and/or compliant press corps in order to strip away her once formidable majority among black voters. The Clinton campaign, in fact, had not racialized the campaign, and never had any reason to do so.
    Unless this willing media begins to report what the obama campaign is doing, soon we will have McCain labeled a bigot and a racist like both Clintons were.
    Personally, I will not vote for Obama until he offers up a speech and offers a public apology to both Clinton's for the way his campaign and the willing media labeled them both bigots and racists. The only way obama could win the black vote was to play the "race card" and then blame Senator Clinton. Of course it worked, but now we and you in the media see Obama and his campaign playing the race card and he will play it often.

June 21, 2008 at 2:13 am |
  9. Kevin Flanagan

I like your show but it erks me to no end that you spend more time previewing up comming stories before commercials. It gets redundant and it makes me want to change the channel. More meat
    less fluff please. Kevin Flanagan

June 21, 2008 at 1:37 am |
  10. S M Hunter

Everyone is talking about the flooding in the midwest and north.
    Isn't it effecting New Orleans and the southern areas also?
    Is anyone looking at their levies and their problems anymore?
    Are they being pushed yet even further in the back of the line {again}?

June 21, 2008 at 12:34 am |
  11. Brian

Barrack is the one smart man that all Americans can count on to tell the truth. We've had 8 years of incompetency and lies from the White House. The Republicans have already tried attacking Obama's wife, and ya better believe they'll try to lynch him this fall.

His mild-mannered, yet aggressive style is what is energizing the Democratic Party. He's learned from the mistakes of his predecessors and is the new leader of a united Democratic Army ! (uh i mean party 😉 Go get em' Barrack!

June 21, 2008 at 12:03 am |
  12. al collazo

keep up the good work people Anderson this citizens are showing that the American people can still work together even in hard times .Keep up the good work people keep up the good work

June 20, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  13. Tee

I not want to say it's b/c of an election year, but......It is. Don't you think? Do you think the people going into space has anything to do with it?

Just think about it. I can't see how it could not have something to do with it.

June 20, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  14. Alix

We will always pay the price when we try to control Nature.
    It's obvious to me the house and buildings in those areas affected should have been built on stilts, rather than build levees to control the mighty river we should accommodate the river and work with it, didn't this happened not too long ago in 93? We never learn it seems! This should also apply to the victims of tornadoes whose houses are blown away every year! Can we "AMERICANS" start using steel, bricks and stilts in future designs, I doubt very much the weather will get better in the near future! We are screwing with Nature using fossil fuels after all! We never learn it seems, well not until we get smacked around a bit lol.
    PS: The Japanese are making cars that run on WATER!

June 20, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Mary Lou Harden

Regarding Obama's comments today in Florida on race issues - what he said is inappropriate, and only adds fuel to any racial embers that are still burning. Your female commentator was right on! Your male commentator obviously expects only bad things from Republicans - his comments were negative and also disappointing. It's my observation that people get what they expect - so if you continue to expect the worst and choose to think negatively, that's what you'll get. Let's expect more of each other and think positively about our future in this greatest of all countries!

June 20, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Julia Lin

But he (Obama) is inexperience and he is black.

June 20, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  17. Paula

Obama is speaking the truth.It's high time someone does.We don't need any more of what's happened the past 8 years.I'm praying for change.

June 20, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Richard, Honolulu

Anderson,

I love the picture with the flag sticking up above the flood waters as a symbol of our nation. Even if the world seems to be falling apart, our ideals stand strong above everything else.

Richard, Honolulu

June 20, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  19. Ken in NC

Good evening Anderson. Looks like we will have a great show tonight. Hope the flood waters begin to drop tonight.

I am an Obama supporter but I got to tell you that I am not happy with this Race card he played and that new emblem he has shown.

June 20, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  20. Annie Kate

I really feel for the flood victims in the Midwest. Its too bad there isn't a way to divert all that excess water to an area suffering from drought.

I'm looking forward to tonight's show – there seems to be a good varied group of news stories to hear. As the mother of a teenage girl I'm especially interested in that story on the pregnancy pact. After I watch that I'm going to have a discussion with my daughter about all the "work" aspects of becoming a mom. I am just floored that a pact like this would even appeal to teenage girls.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 20, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  21. Nibor Rednaz

Excited about tonights program, anderson.

June 20, 2008 at 9:36 pm |
  22. skipper

looks to be a busy night( nite, hahaha)

The floods in the midwest are scary. Kudos to Gary and team for sticking it out.

Regarding he t shirt idea.....thats pretty cool. Now I guess I shall try harder to win the contest:) Incentives are healthy , gives folks something for which to work.

June 20, 2008 at 9:34 pm |