June 18th, 2008

Tiger Woods...laced with kryptonite

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/18/art.vert.tigerwoods.jpg caption="Tiger Woods drops to his knees after missing a birdie putt on a sudden death hole for the US Open championship, June 16, 2008." width=292 height=320]

Kay Jones
AC360° Staff

Tiger Woods is human after all. Excuse me a moment while I process this fact…You see, after watching the US Open this weekend and Monday, I was convinced he had donned Superman’s cape underneath his traditional red polo/black slacks “last day of the tournament” uniform and proceeded to make shot after amazing shot to win his 3rd US Open. Apparently, someone doused his sports drink with kryptonite. We found out today that Tiger Woods will have reconstructive surgery on his knee and miss the rest of the golf season, which means it’ll probably be early 2009 before we can see him play again.

On this blog, we normally hit big issues that are affecting the US and the world. I know that the fact that we won’t see Tiger Woods on the links the rest of the year won’t make a dent in the War on Terror, flood cleanup or the US election. However, it’s going to be a big loss to the golf world.

Not having Tiger for the rest of the season is now presenting a great problem for the United States Golf Association, or USGA for short. The man draws people in. He’s been in People magazine as well as being on the cover of Sports Illustrated. He definitely isn’t just a “sports star” anymore. He’s graduated to celebrity. And for that, people go to golf tournaments just to see him play. Now this isn’t a knock on the other players out there, and any true golf fan would get just as geeked out over seeing Phil Mickelson paired up with Vijay Singh (as I did last year at the Barclays tournament). However, the USGA knows people like me will watch a tourney no matter who is in it. They need the casual fan to still be involved. They need the random person who may only know five golfers’ names to go to the tournaments, even without Tiger teeing off. They need the casual Sunday observer to still be interested in the final round during the British Open in July.

How will the world of golf survive? I’m sure they’ll find a way. But in the meantime, here’s hoping Tiger has a healthy recovery and we’ll see him on the links sooner rather than later.

Filed under: AC360° Staff
  1. Bill

Kay , it is not the USGA that will have a problem , it is the PGA. Tiger plays on the PGA tour. The USGA does not have a tour. It only runs the US Open , both professional and amateur and is the governing body for setting the rules of golf in the USA. It is the counterpart of the R&A in Scotland.

I will miss Tiger and wish him all the best. Watching golf without Tiger will not be the same. I do watch the LPGA so I will watch more of my favorites like Paula, Natalie etc etc

June 19, 2008 at 7:25 am |
  2. Alain Adunagow

Tiger is a formidable player and very generous about his life. I admire his consistency and at the same time his intentionality in getting breakthrough results, not only for his performance (which I believe is very impeccable.. the guy actually competes againts the almanac of golf!) but also for the golf world.

I actually had to post-pone tuning into the NBA finals just to watch the last putt that triggered the playoffs... now that's crowd control!

Get well, Tiger. It's first and foremost for your family, then the fans.

– Alain (Irvine, CA)

June 19, 2008 at 3:49 am |
  3. Gary Chandler in Canada

Tiger could probably learn to play left handed, to save his knee, and still be a world class player.

June 19, 2008 at 2:46 am |
  4. Pat

TIger exemplified what True Champions are about throughout this Tournament. Time and Time again he has come from behind and won. This Tournament given his extensive injury was no small feat yet he handled the situation like a true Pro and fought to the end in spite of his pain and adversity.Way to Go TIger! Few had any doubt you would succeed. Kudos. You have earned your place at the top. I wish Tiger a complete and speedy recovery. And many more Championships to come. It is obvious he is a loving father, husband and son.

June 18, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  5. Jan from Wood Dale, IL

Considering Tiger just had surgury on that knee, you have to wonder if he gave himself enough time to heal. On Sunday, he was playing in a lot of pain.

June 18, 2008 at 8:49 pm |
  6. Carmelita

Tiger is an amazing player and he will be missed on the course.

I must confess that whenever Tiger is'nt in a tournament I really debate wether or not to watch the golf channel, however I know that there will be two weeks of Tiger special, so I quess I will get my fix until he returns next year.

The golf channel can also do a monthly repeat of all Tiger tournaments and that way his fans can still see their star player.

Get well soon Tiger and all the best. Give Sam a happy Birthday hug. One of your biggest fans in Canada

PEACE
    Carmelita

June 18, 2008 at 6:56 pm |
  7. Claire

Tiger's win the other day was amazing. Even with the knee he played on and on.

As you said it may not be life or death news I still think what he's accomplished in his life is amazing. He has broken all kinds of barriers in the golf world and beyond and is a wonderful role model for people to look up to. I wish him and his family well.

June 18, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  8. Chris

Speak for yourself, Cindy. Have you taken the time to see what this "somewhat athlete" has accomplished in his life and what he does for others? Take some time to find out what impact he's having, for example with his camps/learning centers for underprivileged kids, and other impacts he's had on many other lives before making such judgments.

While there are many other highly paid CEOs, actors/actresses, athletes, stockbrokers etc who probably fit into your "box", he is not one of them.

Guess what, if you were as hardworking at a sport as he is and as popular as he is, you would also be paid proportionately – would you turn down the $$$? I think not!

Get well soon, Tiger!!!

June 18, 2008 at 5:29 pm |
  9. Susan

Kay:

What I have to wait until 2009 to see those great putts again. He has the best short game in golf.

I wish him well in his recovery.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

June 18, 2008 at 5:01 pm |
  10. BonnieInTexas

Tiger Woods is a genius and I am thrilled to be alive and have the opportunity to watch him play. His game thrills millions of Americans and now we should all just pray for his recovery and return to center stage! He has been worth every penny he's earned.

June 18, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  11. TESAP. SAVANNAH, GA

Tiger has changed the golf world forever. He has inspired many generations to enjoy the sport.

June 18, 2008 at 4:18 pm |
  12. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Tiger Woods is an athlete who inspires many. His talent, and hard work is appreciated by millions. He will be missed, but his health comes first. Get well Tiger and keep us all amazed by those perfect "Shots" of the day.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

June 18, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  13. EJ (USA)

Well, that was rude Cindy.

June 18, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  14. Cindy

I could care less one way or the other. He is just another highly over paid...some what athlete. Him not playing won't effect my life or any other person's on this blog or elsewhere.

Cindy...Ga.

June 18, 2008 at 3:09 pm |
  15. Larry

Get healthy Tiger, that's the most important thing to this fan.

June 18, 2008 at 3:02 pm |