June 17th, 2008

The candidates and a mother-in-law... in waiting

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/17/art.obamagore.jpg caption="Al Gore announces his endorsement of Barack Obama, Monday."]

Candy Crowley
Senior Political Correspondent

Hands up please if you were surprised that Al Gore endorsed Barrack Obama………………………oh sorry, just dozed off in the excitement of it all.

…but dear reader, didn’t we just love all the ensuing chatter about Gore as Obama’s vice-presidential choice? Let us ponder this notion.

Southerner (well, he lived in Tenn.) , foreign policy experience, born and raised in Washington to become the ultimate insider, Congress, Senate, Vice Presidency…

So Gore would would bring heft to the ticket cuz he knows stuff - without the stink of actually being an insider because he’s been pretty much out of the game for 8 years (we shall ignore his Howard Dean endorsement in 2004).

The party sees him as a senior statesman…a guy whose reputation has turned platinum over the years…a guy many democrats think was robbed of the presidency in 2000. And he wouldn’t need direction to the men’s room. He was vice president for 8 years.

So you can hear the Obama Hierarchy saying - SIGN THAT GUY UP.

Since not becoming President in 2000, Gore has become a multi-millionaire, his documentary on global warming won an Oscar; he won a Nobel Peace Prize and found a global audience for his life’s work, combating climate change.

So... (sentence fraction alert) red carpets in Hollywood, the rarefied air in Oslo, a stage far bigger than anything a vice presidency offers, and a fat bank account.

See those pigs flying?? Hear the Gore entourage laughing uproariously as they shout ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
(I’m going to get all these blogs back in my inbox when Gore becomes the veep.)

Let’s start Washington’s favorite parlor game. Wheel of Veep. We can play for WEEKS:

Gore, Clinton, Richardson, Clark, Biden, Dodd, Bayh, Nunn, Edwards, Sebelius, Nunn, Rendell, Hagel, Daschle, Napolitano. Let’s spin the GOP Tomorrow.

Otherwise bloggees, it’s been so quiet… The daily back and forth chatter between Mccain and Obama is pretty snoozy.

I would like to second David Gergen’s suggestion that McCain and Obama take a vacation and give us all a break. They both keep stepping in it anyway.

This adviser, that fundraiser.

Go to Iraq. Ok I will. Etc.

They need to get their acts together. I know summer hasn’t officially started…but fall is coming. I can tell because the backlog of catalogs in my hallway have winter clothes on the front…making it oh so difficult to find a mother-of-the-groom dress for August. Do not get me started.

Travel tip before we part company: Postpone your visit to Big Spring, Texas until winter. It is a hot place in June, and there is a drought. It’s the sort of place where the phrase “relentlessly blue sky” makes sense.

LOYAL READERS ALERT (all others, see you tomorrow)

But oh what a weekend of bridal showers and time with relatives of daughter-in-law-in-waiting. Incredibly fun seeing all things Texas and meeting the terrific people who helped her become her.

I was excited to be there AND daughter-in-law-in-waiting seemed excited I was there. Maybe I’m not losing first-born.

Sunrise. Sunset. (Plagiarized)

Filed under: Barack Obama • Candy Crowley • Raw Politics
  1. Julie San Diego, CA

Candy writes:

"Maybe I’m not losing first-born."

You're not losing a son, you're gaining a daughter.

Sage advice for all mother-in-laws-to-be 🙂 Besides, it's the man's relationship with his mother that sets the tone for the daughter-in-law's relationship with her mother-in-law.

Eventually, the two of you will be joining forces to conspire against "first-born" anyway....ha,ha,ha....that's when the fun begins...there's no man on the planet that can stand up to the combined forces of both mom AND wife 🙂

What's this talk that Al Gore's been "out of the game" for 8 years...hmmm...an Oscar...a Nobel Prize...saving the planet. Hardly sounds like "out of the game".

They could have said that about Nancy Pelosi when she dropped out of the workforce to raise her children.

Last I checked, she's back with a vengeance 🙂

Enjoy the shower and festivities, Candy.

P.S. Forget the catalogs – David's Bridal has mother's dresses too.

June 18, 2008 at 9:52 am |
  2. Edward

Jeannie and Family, just be calm and cross over. Remember in 1976 at the Republican National Convention, Ronald Reagan narrowly lost to Gerald Ford. He later tried again and became president in 1980. This is a time for Obama, just embrace the change!

June 18, 2008 at 9:15 am |
  3. Mark Stewart

Gore and Obama are people logic. But Obama is a monarch butterfly metamorphosing. He is now presidential fodder and is managed very differently by the Pentagon. His voice print will morph into an unchanged monologue anywhere near Israel. America is the war-dog posted by colonial Europe to manage middle-east business.

Consider too the McCain specter. War Dog is the only appropriate descriptor for McCain. To what extent does the world look beyond America's army role to a more sophisticated diplomatic future? Listenting to some CNN talk-show face-off's, you'd think a lot of us don't even know what McCain is about. Click. I just turned my set off. This election is about War Dog vs. Seeing Eye Dog.

Who better than Gore to manage this unavoidable political reality differnetly? Double good debacle, Candy.

June 18, 2008 at 3:47 am |
  4. Ruth

Al Gore is such an outstanding guy....He has heart.. I'm not convinced that He wants to be VP or in that status unless it is for the "environment"..

June 18, 2008 at 3:27 am |
  5. Ilhana, BiH

Al Gore should have won the race before, but now he's suceeded in much more important things. The Alliance rocks! And so does Al Gore!

June 18, 2008 at 2:05 am |
  6. Annie Kate

I hope Obama uses Gore as his energy czar; Gore would be perfect for that with his devotion to the cause and his contacts as well as his organization behind it. Having Gore do that would make me feel better about the federal government doing something constructive on climate change.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 17, 2008 at 11:50 pm |
  7. Lily

Well, There is nothing like listening to the liberal media...so I decided to look at your blog. I don't know what I expected, but it amazes me that star quality, good looks, and great oratory skill can buy the White House. I wouldn't vote for Obama under any circumstances and he scares me to death. Its called socialism!! Gore would have been fine but I will vote for McCain instead...at least it is a man I feel I can trust.

June 17, 2008 at 11:40 pm |
  8. Jeannie in Sacramento, CA

Great post, Candy. Obviously, with the hiring of Solis-Doyle, Hillary won't be VP anytime soon, so Gore might as well be. That was a great stroke by Obama to save himself from coming out to say he won't be choosing Hillary. Whatever Obama does, he's on his own as far as my family and I are concerned. We have 9 Democratic voters in our family and we're staying home in November. We're going to see the black voters try to put him in the White House by themselves. McCain in the White House won't affect my family that much. We are white, upper middle class, well-educated, we have private medical insurance and private retirement plans from stable careers, we have no use for Roe v. Wade, Iraq doesn't touch us, we couldn't give a snit about a conservative Supreme Court, and we can afford gas. So McCain can have the White House for 4 years. The Democrats will unseat him in 2012 with another candidate. Obama it won't be.

June 17, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  9. Chris in Sarasota

Candy - best blog ever in the blogosphere - I enjoy listening to you EVERY night...I so admire how hard you work and yet how up you always are! You totally rock.

Why don't you guys get it, it's WEBB? You just don't know him yet - I'm from Virginia originally. He was Secretary of the Navy!! He served in Vietnam and has like a jillion medals! His son served in Iraq!! And he is so totally a Democrat, after turning from Republican years ago. He's modest, smart. A poster boy. He's the guy who clinches it for Obama.

June 17, 2008 at 9:16 pm |
  10. Ms N

It is all good.

I just wish folks would stop bringing up Clinton's name at rallies
    If she's going to work for Obama and claim that she will support him
    she would have come out to at least one of his rallies already.

She is not a factor and the media conitnues to want to make her one.
    All she needs to do is show the support. But She's just in the shadow some place wainting to see Obama fall.

This is about Obama not Hillary Clinton. Get over it and move on people. Democrats, independents, republican, etc==> MOVE ON.

June 17, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  11. Carmelita

Hi Candy,

Congratulations, I hope that your daughter in law realizes how blessed she is to become a part of your family. I really enjoy reading your post(s), very humourous.

Keep up the good work.

Obama and Colin Powell would make a great team.

PEACE
    Carmelita

June 17, 2008 at 6:42 pm |
  12. ida

Hi Candy:
    You'll never lose your first born and I hope you found a first daughter-in-law. My mother deservedly loves (and shows it) my brother's wife as much as she does me. Best wishes to all. You'll be a fantastic mother-in-law.

June 17, 2008 at 4:02 pm |
  13. Esbee

Obama/Reich

Seriously though if we are just talking interesting politics and capable politician then

Obama/Clinton or Biden v. McCain/Burr

June 17, 2008 at 3:58 pm |
  14. carmen

Hey Candy,
    I don't know that Gore needs to be VP, the endorsement and the association if he is visible in the rest campaign will go just as far. While Clintons have been the "power" brokers of the DNC, Gore has become the "moral" leader of the party and that more than anything will add to Obama's campaign. Keep up the good work . Always enjoy your views and insights

June 17, 2008 at 3:56 pm |
  15. Larry

There is no real competition for the dems this election, my dog could win. Republicans have to let this one go and regroup for a better strategy in 2012., or 2016 🙂

June 17, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  16. Susan

Candy:

I doubt that former VP Al Gore has any desire to be future VP Al Gore. He has a very good life now. He gets to work on projects that he feels passionate about. He sets his own agenda. He is his own man with only himself ( or Mrs. Tipper Gore ) to answer to.

I am glad that you got some time off to spend with your future in-laws.
    You will never lose your first born son. He is now taking a wife, but you will always be MOM.

Susan
    Phoenixville,PA

June 17, 2008 at 3:50 pm |
  17. Claire

Congrats to your son and your daughter-in-law-in-waiting. 🙂 (and to you!)

Thanks for your funny posts. I really enjoy them.

June 17, 2008 at 3:45 pm |
  18. Trudy in Peoria

Al Gore needs to put aside his pride and ask to be considered for the VP position for Obama. He would do it, except he has this been there done that attitude. It's not about fame, it's about doing what's best for your country. We need you, Al.

June 17, 2008 at 2:52 pm |
  19. marcy

As posted earlier, I too agree with David Gergen that we ALL need a big political time-out. However for that to happen, the candidates would have to go MIA (just a week that’s all I’m asking), their handlers would have to go MIA, the media would have to allow them to go MIA, and the commentators would have to take a much needed and much deserved vacation. Candy you can thank me later 🙂 ha!

I have enforced a political “time-out” for myself, which frankly means a lot more flipping during the 10:00 hour on CNN, no offense intended!

Marcy,
    Mobile, AL

June 17, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  20. Renee

Candy: Obviously you must have fallen asleep during the Inconvenient Movie...........yawn............

June 17, 2008 at 2:32 pm |
  21. jess bongaarts

candy - your posts always crack me up. thank you for bringing such a fresh voice to politics! 🙂

– jess
    burnsville, mn

June 17, 2008 at 2:24 pm |
  22. Gary Chandler in Canada

Powell !!!!!!!!!!! ?

June 17, 2008 at 2:23 pm |
  23. Alex

Hi Candy,
    Al Gore is about one thing and one thing only.....revenge on the Republicans and Al Gore. He'd be an albatrose around anybody's neck. During his endorsement speech, even the people in the crowd didn't seem all that "inspired" by Gore. Once Obama took the mic, things started to get energized again. Gore wouldn't help Obama one bit other than help John McCain make his point that the "change" Obama talks about is ficticious wishful thinking.
    But like Michelle above said, Candy you rock!

June 17, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  24. Lee in CA

Candy, Candy, Candy – I love your posts!!!! So honest ... so concise ... and so very much fun ... in the most thoughtful of ways. Please write a book someday – I will be the first in line (or online) to buy it.

As for Gore endorsing Obama – yes, it's good news – although certainly not extraordinary. I think you made the point on Election Center last night – that if Gore were endorsing McCain – now THAT would have been 'breaking news'.

And no – he won't be the VP choice – for all the obvious reasons – although it's fun to speculate about – for about 10 seconds.

And yes – both camps need to leave us alone for a bit – until they get their acts together. There are moments when you'd think these guys are running for Student Council President of the local high school.

But – you did leave off one name on the Dem "Wheel of Veep" – and the name is Webb. You can tell where I've placed my bet!

I hope your daughter-in-law-in-waiting knows how very lucky she is about to become.

The last sentence of your post causes me to have a vague suspicion that you might be a Daily Show viewer-in-hiding, since there was a very funny spoof of the "plagarism" topic last night. But maybe not. But if you are – well done!

June 17, 2008 at 2:04 pm |
  25. Nick Hronis

If Al Gore had won his home state of Tennessee in 2000 like all good incumbents do, there never would been a Florida or Bush. It was inexcusable that he didn't win his own home state.

June 17, 2008 at 1:04 pm |
  26. Michelle

Candy you rock. I love this post it is a classic and
    all too true.

June 17, 2008 at 12:58 pm |
  27. Kent Fitzsimmons,Illinois

Oh..............Obama/Gore would be wonderful. But, Gore shines bright outside of politics. He has transcended higher and for a higher purpose. But, his work on the environment is not complete. And, he could further the cause if he was part of a new, changed White House. A new direction brings new possibilities. I hope he does what he can to help elect Obama. Maybe VP, maybe cabinet position dealing with environmental improvement.

Obama's open mind and vision will bring many very good people into the fold. Out with the old ways, and in with real improvement and change...............Obama 08

June 17, 2008 at 12:54 pm |
  28. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

fantastic post Candy. My brother is getting married this August so my mom feels the same way you are. Good luck with all the wedding stuff

June 17, 2008 at 12:42 pm |
  29. Cindy

Candy,
    LOVE your posts! They are so great! PLEASE keep 'em coming!!

I really can't see Gore as Obama's VP. It just isn't him to be 2nd to anyone. Not now that he has so much fame and notoriety. He'd always outshine Obama for sure!

I am glad that you finally got some time off! Hope you enjoyed time with your new soon to be in-laws. See they aren't so bad after all! LOL

Cindy...Ga.