June 17th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/17/08

Anderson is back.

Tonight, a wall of water with no place to go but down the Mississippi and only about two dozen levees along the way to contain it. Each and every one of them is in danger of giving way like the one near Gulfport, Illinois did today. Dan Simon is there with the latest.

Randi Kaye has an up close look at Michelle Obama’s image makeover. Does she have what it takes to be a first lady? What impact will she have on the campaign?

Dana Bash is on the trail today with a look at the fight between McCain and Obama over energy and the war on terror. Who won? We’ll find out from the best political team on television.

Erica Hill has an update on story we brought you last week. It’s about Samuel Israel, a hedge fund manager, convicted of defrauding investors out of nearly 500 million dollars. He was supposed to start a 20-year prison sentence last week but he never showed up, though his car was found abandoned on a bridge with the words “suicide is painless” scrawled on the side. Authorities weren't sure if he killed himself or went on the run. Tonight, they have their answer.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica out on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. CaseyJPS - California

Sara, Oklahoma-That's a good point and I'm glad you reminded me. With all the racial focus I had forgotten Obama is bi-racial, which makes most of the conversation and debate irrelevant, don't you think?

June 17, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Jana, Indiana

Good night all bloggers and Anderson. Glad you made it back safely. Good show tonight.

June 17, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  3. La Mar

Why the comparison why not compare her to Barbera Busch ?
    I think a more fitting comparison would be Elanor Roosevelt a very strong out spoken women.

June 17, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Susan - North Haven, CT

ERICA – First ladies can make or break the likeablility of a potential president.

June 17, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Cindy

I knew Samuel wasn't dead!! I hope that they catch him soon!

Cindy..Ga.

June 17, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Janna

Erica, personally I don't think it has any effect on an election's outcome. The first spouse is a cheerleader, not a decision maker.

June 17, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, Ohio

CaseyJPS – California; I agree, but I don't think it is right. It is not fair to strip away someone's authenticity to serve a purpose, nor is it fair to the people they are trying to fool.

June 17, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Lou

Sara, I could not agree with you more

June 17, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  9. MaryBeth

They actually dumbed down Jackie O. She was a lot smarter than they let on. She was a strong woman, but they downplayed that because that is not what a presidential wife should be. She should be the proto-typical housewife (read trophy wife).

That's all for me. I have to get up at 4am tomorrow. See you all tomorrow night!

June 17, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  10. Jana, Indiana

June 17, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Maryann, Brooklyn, NY

Hey Erica, for me, I didn't think it mattered much until now; someone like Michelle Obama, I think could make a real difference: not only contribute to the "presidency" but maybe tackle some critical issues all on her own....

June 17, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Erica, first ladies have a HUGE influence. They are the ones that get the last word every night.

June 17, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Sahira

Roland,

There is difference being strong and being arrogant or obnoxious.

June 17, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Jim

Erica,

I could care less about the first spouse when it comes to whom I am going to vote for. All that matters is the critical issues – Energy policy, the national debt, etc.

June 17, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar

I agree with you Gary,
    Not yet first lady Michelle Obama, she will not.

June 17, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

A candidate's spouse does have the power to influence people's voting decision. It's easer for them to hurt their spouse's campaign than help. Michelle is doing a great job thus far. Like Bill, she can really work those small group events very well, despite having some negativity thrown her way on the larger media scale.

June 17, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Jolene

Erica: The First Lady can have an influence on the President so they are fair game and it will matter.

June 17, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Jacqui Chan

good point, Roland and Barack himself are the only people who I have heard refer to Barack as bi-racial, not black

June 17, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Sara, Oklahoma

Exactly! Obama is a bi-racial man. Not black. He is half. That is why I do not understand why this campaign has had so many problems about race. Its 2008 folks, time to see past color.

June 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Bianca

Michelle Obama's pearls strangely remind me Wilma from the Flintstones...

June 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Marie Rose; Maryland

To answer Erica, the spouse of the candidate has no impact on my vote.

June 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Francesca Elm

First ladies don't affect my vote, I don't think most people vote against a candidate because of their wife. But then again people didn't vote for Howard Dean because he let out a yell

June 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Claire

Society today has changed. Woman aren't just baking cookies and "standing by their man". Woman are allowed to be their own person now and the First Lady should be allowed to be who they are and not a typical 50's house wife.

June 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  24. CaseyJPS - California

Any potential First-Lady and President couldn't get this far down the road without seeing eye-to-eye on many of the most important issues. They would have to have similar values, just to start with.

June 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar

I agree with bloggers and Roland too
    Roland have good point!

June 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Tracey - Boston

Erica

I don't think it should sway how a person votes...there is no real power for the first lady...it doesn't matter.

June 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Lou

I think that first ladies have alot of influence. After all they are the ones closest to the President.

June 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  28. kathy

erica
    behind every good man is a good woman
    that also works when you have a angry woman behind a man
    a spouse has a lot of influence on the other

June 17, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If Michelle Obama plays the traditional role that's fine. If she is proactive and speaks up that's fine too. But if she does the later, she's fair game to be hammered for what she says.

June 17, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Clyde

The First Lady (or spouse) is extremely important. In many ways they directly reflect the views of the President. There wouldn't be a marriage if there weren't similar values to begin with.

June 17, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Greg

She showed here true colors at the beginning of the presidential race.

June 17, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Julie

I think that Michelle Obama is a classy lady, regardless of the party. Welcome to the good old boys club Michelle! It is gratifying as a woman to see a strong female role model.

June 17, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  33. Jolene

Obama gets accused of being "elite" so why would they want to spiff up Michelle so much....so she can be accused of being elite too?

June 17, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  34. kathy

gary you are right she is not yet the first lady hopefully she wont be

June 17, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  35. CaseyJPS - California

JoAnn-
    "The purpose of a makeover is to try to fool people into thinking that you are something that you are not."

In this case, I would say the makeover is so she "fits" a pre-conceived notion of what a first-lady should be.

June 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  36. ericacnn

how impt is a first lady to you when you vote for president? does a candidate's spouse affect your view of that person as a potential president? how much influence do you think first ladies have?

June 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Janice

It makes me sick to hear MO compared to J. Kennedy. No comparison. I can't even imagine her in the White House.

June 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  38. Susan - North Haven, CT

Michelle comes off as a fake to me. She, like her husband, loves to hear herself talk – conceded and arrogant. She's not someone I would want to be friends with.

June 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, Ohio

I don't think this is about race. Look at the nasty things that were said about Hillary Clinton when Bill Clinton was running for office.

June 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  40. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

I agree with Roland. Both potential first ladies are more outspoken than we are used to. Why all this fuss about Michelle Obama and there is nothing really said about Cindy McCain?

June 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Robin

I totally agree with with Roland Martin!!

June 17, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  42. kathy

she is angry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,rolland WHY do you always have to say black i am really sick of this BLACK stuff

June 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  43. MaryBeth

Go Roland!!! I love him!!! He's so plain spoken!!! "Angry black woman" indeed. How about a 21st Century Woman!!!

Wow!!! Michelle looks AWESOME in that teal strapless corset dress!!!

June 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Independent black women are traditiionally viewed as angry. This is not a new stereotype. Those who know that will not be fooled by the right wingers.

June 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I think if Michelle Obama becomes first lady, she should flat out declare there will be no makeover. I don't think this has anything to do with race.

June 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  46. Cindy

I agree with Roland...men can't deal with M. Obama's strength.

Cindy..Ga.

June 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Clyde

Roland is absolutely right! Society has trouble with strong women.

June 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  48. La Mar

Lifting the ban on off shore drilling wowwwww George McCain
    (Remember one man one vote.)

June 17, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  49. Gary

Anderson...she is not the first lady YET.

June 17, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  50. Max, Dallas, TX

Michelle is an amazing woman. I think all this talk of a "makeover" is unfair. If there is any force to make her a docile, shrunken slip of a thing the media often portrays women to be, I have confidence that she will rightfully fight it. She knows who she is and deserves an untampered platform to clue us all in.

June 17, 2008 at 10:42 pm |