June 17th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/17/08

Anderson is back.

Tonight, a wall of water with no place to go but down the Mississippi and only about two dozen levees along the way to contain it. Each and every one of them is in danger of giving way like the one near Gulfport, Illinois did today. Dan Simon is there with the latest.

Randi Kaye has an up close look at Michelle Obama’s image makeover. Does she have what it takes to be a first lady? What impact will she have on the campaign?

Dana Bash is on the trail today with a look at the fight between McCain and Obama over energy and the war on terror. Who won? We’ll find out from the best political team on television.

Erica Hill has an update on story we brought you last week. It’s about Samuel Israel, a hedge fund manager, convicted of defrauding investors out of nearly 500 million dollars. He was supposed to start a 20-year prison sentence last week but he never showed up, though his car was found abandoned on a bridge with the words “suicide is painless” scrawled on the side. Authorities weren't sure if he killed himself or went on the run. Tonight, they have their answer.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica out on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Christina, Windber, PA

I think there's no comparison between Michelle Obama and Jackie Kennedy.

June 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Sahira

There is no way you can compare Michelle Obama with Jackie Kennedy. Jackie Kennedy was very elegant and classy looking. From tapes I've seen and heard, she was also very soft spoken.

June 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  3. MaryBeth

Jo Ann: I agree. I think she looks fine. But they did the same thing to Hillary. She was very outspoken in the beginning (Bill's first term) and then they quieted her down.

June 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Marie Rose

I was starting to listen to Obama’s speeches and was trying to have an open mind (I voted for Hillary), but his supporters booing at the mention of Hillary Clinton was a serious turn off. Maryland always goes to the dems, so if this keeps up, I think I will just not vote in November. I imagine some conservative dems might be willing to vote for McCain, so I think it’s less far fetched than some of the commentators want people to believe.

PS – Candy and Anderson, you guys look great tonight!

June 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar

Oh boy! I hope FBI and Police will look for him to catch, and will take him custody.......

June 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Jolene

Well, it's 2008, I don't think potential First Ladies today need to be compared to First Ladies of yesteryear. Women have changed from the Jackie O. days.

June 17, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, Ohio

The purpose of a makeover is to try to fool people into thinking that you are something that you are not.

June 17, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  8. kim-chicago

Michelle Obama is MICHELLE OBAMA not just a stand by your man kind of woman...I think she is a breath of fresh air!!

June 17, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  9. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Michelle Obama is MY Jackie-O.
    There is not one quality of hers that tells me she would not be a phenomenal First Lady. I honestly think she would be one of the best, and would make Jackie-O proud.

June 17, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Cynthia

Those of you that say that she is no Jackie O – I wonder why you think not?

June 17, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Travis, Charlottesville, VA

I don't think that the Michelle will take the traditional role of a first lady, the same way that Hillary was not the traditional first lady.

June 17, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  12. Shannon

I love Michelle's clothing, why would she need a stylist

June 17, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Cynthia

Jolene there is no difference.

June 17, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  14. Hannah Storm

I think Michelle is one of the best dressed people out there right now. She does not need a stylist

June 17, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Tracey - Boston

Wilma Flintstone

That was funny

June 17, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  16. Claire

I agree MaryBeth. I've been wondering the same thing.

June 17, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Stacy

I can relate better to M. Obama than L. Bush. I'd rather the first lady speak her mind.

June 17, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  18. kathy

susan
    i have been saying that for months everytime the compare her to jackie o i just shiver

June 17, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, Ohio

Although I know it happens all of the time, I am suspicious of makeovers. It makes people look less than genuine and I don't like or respect phonies.

June 17, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Tracey - Boston

Susan... it's the style that is similar!!!!

June 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  21. Jolene

So Michelle Obama showing her strength and appearing as a fighter is how different than what Hillary did?

June 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  22. kathy

ha ha cartoon character on pearls..........wilma flintstone

June 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  23. EJ (USA)

I really don't think the issue of off-shore drilling is going to be of extreme importance come November.

June 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Shannon, do you see gas prices dropping significantly over the next five years? If we don't start now, we will never see relief.

June 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  25. MaryBeth

Why do first ladies have to be so quiet and meek? What's wrong with a strong independent woman?

June 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  26. Shannon

I am impressed with Michelle, it is sad that the Republican's will try to do with her what they did to Hillary when Bill ran in 1992

June 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Maryann, Brooklyn, NY

I really do hope Michelle Obama is genuine and stays the course through this campaign and more importantly stays true to herself.

June 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Cynthia

I see it as confidence and most view it as arrogrance.

June 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Susan - North Haven, CT

Michelle Obama is NO JACKIE O.
    and she never will be.

June 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Gary

I live in Texas. There were no problems with the oil rigs in the gulf during or after Katrina or Rita.

June 17, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  31. Shannon

McCain is pandering. The earliest that off-shore oil would be available in amounts necessary to lower demand would be in the minimum five years.

June 17, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  32. Cindy

Changing Michelle's look, and attitude won't change my views of her.

Cindy...Ga.

June 17, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I've yet to hear any useful energy suggestions from Obama. All he does is attack McCain's ideas without offering any of his own besides raise taxes.

June 17, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  34. kenneth torto

Is so unfortunate that such a powerful nation like ours and yet after Katrina and levee breaches, we have failed again to seize on that opportunity to check our other levees at several other parts of the nation and here we are again with another levee breach. Consequences unknown.

It hurt so bad, soo so bad I bow down in tears.

June 17, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Stacy

Cindy, oil is finite and it's running out. We need to move towards alternative energy–not prolong our oil addiction by lifting the ban.

June 17, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  36. Clyde

Just because someone's been around longer doesn't make them an expert (McCain). In fact, it's old-world thinking that's gotten us into the mess we (and the entire world) is in. New thinking is required.

June 17, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Gary

Gasoline in OPEC countries is less than a dollar. McCain realizes that supply is necessary. Obama is stuck on democratic positions.

June 17, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The situation today is different than just a year ago. Gas prices are much higher and still going up. The solution is a family of answers that include alternative energy, nuclear power, and yes, increasing oil production in the short term.

June 17, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Missy

Maybe Hillary doesn’t owe it to Obama to deliver her 18 million voters, but doesn't she want him to win the general election? However, I do agree, he has to earn them.

June 17, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Christina, Windber, PA

I hate the idea of drilling offshore or in the Arctic Refuge. Does anyone remember the mess after Katrina. Hurricanes are common in these offshore areas and it's no place for drilling rigs. Once and for all we need to learn how to conserve and protect all our natural resources. We failed to do it before, this time we have to.

June 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, Ohio

Big mistake! Why do they think that they can drill their way out of this mess? How will this lower the price of gas? The oil companies will just find another reason to raise the prices again to protect their outrageous profit margin.

June 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  42. mollie

did anderson just say BUSH wants to lift the ban on offshore drilling?
    if bush believes in the same thing as mccain he's screwed.
    another genius idea george.

June 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar

I was surprised that McCain said that Oil drilling lift ban today.

June 17, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Cindy

I think they need to lift the ban on offshore drilling. If not someone else like Cuba will do it, find the oil then charge us for it.

Cindy...Ga.

June 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Stacy

Hm, seems McCain has been doing a little flip-flopping.

June 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Shannon

I think it is interesting that McCain has flip flopped on off-shore drilling and windfall profit taxes on the same day that he has a huge fundraiser with Houston Oil Billionaires.

June 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  47. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

McCain camp probably think they have had an epiphany when they decided they will flip Obama's "old politics" platform by comparing Obama with Jimmy Carter. One issue: Carter did not have the horrible approval rating that Bush has!

June 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  48. Mechelle-- Oklahoma

Moving toward enviromentally friendly vehicles is easier said than done. I like in southeast Oklahoma and the closest place to purchase bio or flex fuel is in Missouri. For those of us who live in rural areas and own older vehicles, it will be difficult. I wish there was an easier way.

June 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  49. Mike, Syracuse, NY

How can raising taxes on the oil companies lower our gas prices by one cent? They'll just raise the price to get their profits back.

June 17, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Clyde

Great–instead of working on solving the discrepancies in our energy and fuel policies, let's just cover it up by drilling for more. Don't worry about the future–just let our kids handle it when it's their turn.

June 17, 2008 at 10:28 pm |