June 17th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/17/08

Anderson is back.

Tonight, a wall of water with no place to go but down the Mississippi and only about two dozen levees along the way to contain it. Each and every one of them is in danger of giving way like the one near Gulfport, Illinois did today. Dan Simon is there with the latest.

Randi Kaye has an up close look at Michelle Obama’s image makeover. Does she have what it takes to be a first lady? What impact will she have on the campaign?

Dana Bash is on the trail today with a look at the fight between McCain and Obama over energy and the war on terror. Who won? We’ll find out from the best political team on television.

Erica Hill has an update on story we brought you last week. It’s about Samuel Israel, a hedge fund manager, convicted of defrauding investors out of nearly 500 million dollars. He was supposed to start a 20-year prison sentence last week but he never showed up, though his car was found abandoned on a bridge with the words “suicide is painless” scrawled on the side. Authorities weren't sure if he killed himself or went on the run. Tonight, they have their answer.

Be sure to check out Anderson and Erica out on our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. MaryBeth

If Obama is smart he will do what Lincoln did. Lincoln wasn't "qualified" either. Lincoln surrounded himself with people he knew didn't like him or disagreed with him and were not afraid to tell truth to power. That's what Obama is going to need the most.

June 17, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  2. La Mar

I am a Obama supporter but i think it was a grave mistake to bring on a former chief of staff from the clinton camp since she was let go ,to much bad blood.

June 17, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Shannon

JoAnn and Mike, Chief of Staff's for V.P.'s are always chosen by the campaign and not the individual.

June 17, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Billi

Hillary is showing up at the fundraiser but is it certain that the fundraisers are showing up? Does Candy know if they are? Aren't there some Hillary supporters who have not yet decided to do that?

June 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Jacqui Chan

I think we need to move away from oil and which enables the taliban and move toward environmentally friendly car which run on vegetable oil or no oil at all

June 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Lou

Slyvia- I too am from Canada and we do sit right on top of the oil, but that oil is sold on world markets and so we pay the same or more

June 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Candy is right. Hillary doesn't owe it to Obama to deliver her 18 million voters; he has to earn them.

June 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Hannah Storm

oh hey Erica, I was just wondering if you were off tonight. Glad to see your in

June 17, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, Ohio

Mike, I have to agree. He or she may want to bring someone they are familiar with on board. I know I wouldn't want my staff to be chosen by someone else.

June 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  10. Clyde

I find it hard to believe anybody could vote for John McCain after being a Clinton supporter. Is it better to vote for a non-ending "war" or vote for trying to repair all the social and finanical damage? McCain is just more Bush.

June 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  11. ericacnn

hi, everyone – sorry i'm a little late to tonight's blog party

June 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse, NY

MaryBeth, perhaps a lot of the Hillary supporters don't think Obama is qualified. Party loyalty is fine to a point, but not when in your heart you know the candidate isn't the right choice.

June 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Obama will gain the majority of women voters, period. McCain has not portrayed himself as someone who cares about women issues.

June 17, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Billi

If Hillary was able to coalesce the "swing" voter women that Hillary Rosen just mentioned, then maybe she was better at getting those "independents" than Obama was.

June 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Lou

Mike, that is what I thought, that the VP nominee would pick their own chief of staff,

June 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Shannon

I really like Hillary Rosen!! She is great! I think she is right anyone that truly believes in the issues that Hillary Clinton has worked for during her career would find it unfathomable to vote for McCain

June 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  17. EJ (USA)

When I hear about all that crazy weather in the midwest – I worry about being injured or having family members hurt. That’s what scares me the most.

June 17, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Sylvia - Canada

Jim, there is no shortage of oil. It's speculators that are causing these prices. I live in Alberta, Canada and we all live right on top of the oil
    here and pay over $5.00 a gallon for gas

June 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

I've been loving Candy's hair lately! Perhaps I'm too used to her reporting outside in twenty degree weather with 20mph wind gusts!

June 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  20. MaryBeth

Jo Ann: I know. My parents were told they NEED flood insurance because they live in a flood plain...however the flood plain map doesn't have elevation and show that they live on a 50 foot high hill and if THEY get flooded, the whole county would be under water. They had to fight FEMA to prove they live on a hill. Kind of ironic that the people who need flood insurance can't get it and the people that don't are forced to pay for it.

June 17, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Mike, Syracuse, NY

One would think that they would let the VP choice pick his or her own chief of staff.

June 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Fay, CA

It's pretty ridiculous for Obama and Clinton supporters to still be at each other's throats–the Democratic Party needs to come together to defeat McCain in November.

June 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  23. sara. .minneapolis

I'm surprised this is the first time we've heard Obama supporters booing Hillary, considering how many, MANY times we've heard Hillary supporters booing Obama, or at most, being silent rather than cheering him when she praised him in her speech the last night of primaries.

June 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Mary H. St. Louis, MO

It is good to see Gary not standing in water above his waist. That truly demonstrated how bad it was but I was concerned Gary would get washed away. That water looked so dirty and gross.

June 17, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Shannon

Only some supporters booed and I agree it was completely rude. They certainly don't represent the majority of us or Obama for that matter!

June 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Hannah Storm

Booing in general is not nice to a candidate but Clinton supporters are just as guilty of it as are Obama supporters

June 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  27. MaryBeth

Cindy: it's rude of Hillary supporters to say they are going to vote for McCain just because Obama is the candidate. Talk about being selfish.

June 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Lou

Anderson, you look great for just having landed a couple of hours ago. At least Campbell is getting a much deserved break

June 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Cynthia

I have seen rudeness on both sides of it and it is wrong either way.

June 17, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Jolene

Obama is really working hard to gain Michigan support. I found it funny that the crowd starting booing though. Like Candy Crowley said, he still has a lot of work to do here in Michigan.

June 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Minou, New York City

"I just landed a couple of hours ago" ???
    Is CNN insane? Or are you? How about saying "no thanks, I need to sleep!" ?

June 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, Ohio

MaryBeth, You never know what Mother Nature has in store. It seems like no matter what you do she finds a way to thwart your efforts.

June 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  33. Hannah Storm

Anderson, you just landed a couple hours ago.....man that's going to hit you any time now. You should have a great sleep tonight though.

If you had not mentioned it, I would have figured you got back over the weekend

June 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Marjorie

Those folks in Iowa and Illnois will need lots of bleach and disenfectant cleaning supplies immediately. My grandmothers house looked like that after a flood years ago. It was either the city of Pittsburgh or small towns further up the Monongahela River. The small towns got it. She lived in California, PA

June 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  35. klim lala - orlando Fl

sad that Obama's supporters booooooo Hilary .... I love Candy Crowley and her reporting

June 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Shannon

I really like the ad from Move-On, I feel the same way about my child!

June 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Cynthia

Not all Obama supporters are rude.

June 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. kathy

the boos that obamas supporters give do not help , i think that makes hillarys voters move away even more

June 17, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Billi

Does anyone think that booing the governor of Michigan and Senator Clinton is a good way to create unity?

June 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  40. Kimether - Atlanta, GA

Aw. I'm sad to hear Obama supporters booing about Clinton. There needs to be unity!

June 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  41. sara. .minneapolis

Lorie Ann, FEMA may not be involved in this case. In the two MN counties that are/have been flooded this time around, the residents don't qualify for FEMA aid. (that doesn't mean the state/counties/cities won't help the people, of course)

June 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  42. andersoncnn

hey everyone.. great to be back.. im a little jet lagged.. i just landed a couple hours ago.. hopefully it wont be too noticeable tonite..

June 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Cindy

Obama's supporters are rude to boo Hillary! They need to learn manners!

Cindy...Ga.

June 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Cynthia

Yes, especially for those who do not have flood insurance.

June 17, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Lisa

Susan,

Many farmers have flood insurance, but usually that will only pay a percentage of what they have lost. If they did not buy the insurance, there is not much they can do.

June 17, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Gary

Farmers deal with these problems every day. They sometimes have no rain and they take care of business. Our farmers are our life blood, they work very hard, and most don't complain.

June 17, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Stacy

Kimether, you're right. Camera people don't get near enough credit. They often have to do the same thing as the reporter, but backwards.

June 17, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Sarah, Atlanta GA

It's awful what is gonig on in the midwest with all the flooding.

June 17, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Tracey - Boston

The worst part about all this flooding is that the insurance companies will only cover so much and the premiums are too high... that was according to a report I saw earlier today on CNN

June 17, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Shannon

Obama is doing a terrific job!

June 17, 2008 at 10:14 pm |