June 16th, 2008

The California Supreme Court's attack on marriage

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/16/art.gaymarriagecake.jpg caption="Same-sex wedding cake topper figurines are seen at Cake and Art in West Hollywood, California"]
Tony Perkins
President of Family Research Council

When the clock chimed 5:01 p.m. PST, the California ruling that threatens to undo thousands of years of natural marriage officially took effect, triggering five months of social chaos that could wreak havoc on every state in America.

Homosexual couples hoping to make history will race down the aisle as early as tonight in at least two counties where clerks of court offices have agreed to stay open late and "marry" homosexuals.

Kern and Butte Counties won't be among them–not even tomorrow, when the homosexual wedding march will begin across California in earnest. Thanks to the courage of County Clerks Ann Barnett and Candace Grubbs, the local offices will stop performing wedding ceremonies altogether.

To comply with the law, Kern and Butte Counties will still issue marriage licenses, but they refuse to subject their staff to the Supreme Court's blatant disregard for traditional morality and individual religious rights.

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Ann Barnett says that the decision to stand up to the liberal establishment has not been an easy one for her or her family. Kern's County Clerk has been a target of hate mail, received so many threats at home that she's disconnected her telephone, and been labeled a "religious terrorist" by hostile critics.

While same-sex crusaders trumpet tolerance for their behavior, where is their tolerance for Barnett's beliefs? You won't find it. Even the Kern County Supervisor, Don Maben, is insensitive to her rights as a government employee. "[S]he made a unilateral decision and just shut everyone off."

Sound familiar? It should, since that's exactly what the California Supreme Court did by disenfranchising more than four million voters who defined marriage as the union of a man and woman in 2000. In the end it is not about tolerance at all, it about forced acceptance.

We applaud the brave men and women in California who are risking their jobs and safety to rebuff this coordinated attack on marriage.

The Republican leadership and presidential candidates could stand to learn a thing or two from these local statesmen. We urge them to take this opportunity to weigh in publicly on the importance of marriage and pledge their support for the marriage protection amendment this fall.

Meanwhile, FRC will continue to bring its educational message to the state, where our ads in Sacramento and Orange County are reminding voters what the California court has now done to injure families and undermine the well being of children.

Editor's note: This from the Family Research Council ran over the weekend in the Sacramento Bee and the Orange County Register.

See Campbell Brown's live interview with Tony Perkins tonight at 10p.
The Family Research Council is a Washington think-tank. Tony Perkins is also the author of  Personal Faith, Public Policy.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Gay & Lesbian Issues • Tony Perkins
  1. Bobby, Foster City, CA

I'm curious to know why such a good-sensed news source like CNN is even giving bigots like Tony Perkins a soapbox to stand on.

However, I can ignore his illogical babble and celebrate, proud as hell of my home state, happy for my gay friends and their delayed rights and granted opportunity, and on top of it all, knowing that somewhere out there in the U.S., Mr Perkins is angry and fearful of the eternal hellfire raining from the heavens that this is going to bring on.

In any event... people are still going to be gay, like it or not, if you grant them the right to marry or not. Perhaps a large portion of this country thinks that if you take away their marriage rights, maybe they'll stop having gay sex! Or stop being gay altogether! I just don't get the paranoia.

June 17, 2008 at 12:41 am |
  2. Kent,Illinois

Tony Perkins...................

So you feel it is ok for your organization to force YOUR morality and religious practices on the masses? What gives you that right? How is it you feel you see the Big Picture? We live in a very big world and your religious beliefs are not those of the global society.

A new "Consciousness".............. is evolving. Will you go down with the sinking ship?

June 17, 2008 at 12:41 am |
  3. Gordon Richardson

This has got to be one of the sickest days in the history of California. To open up every news page and see either two women or two men kissing make me want to gag. This is a disgrace and an abomination in the eyes of God and principles that are nation was built upon. We have once more crossed the line and heading fast toward the judgments of God. The Book of Daniel tells us that the wicked will do wickedly and none of the wicked shall understan; but the wise shall understand (Daniel 12:10). Romans chapter one tells up about people who do not like to retain God in theire knowledge, God gave thi up to a reporbate mind, to do those things which are not convenient. Verse 32 tells us that thosw wo commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same but have pleasure in them that do them.

Yes one step closer to the coming of our great God and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Lets pray for our country.

Gordon Richardson

June 17, 2008 at 12:40 am |
  4. J.R.

I'm a little confused as to why same sex marriage is such a big deal. Those opposed to it have little if anything to say regarding divorce as ruining the sanctity of marriage. What does a religious perspective have to do with the legality of a marriage contract anyway?

June 17, 2008 at 12:39 am |
  5. Angela

Intolerance. I'm very glad to see it still exists.

I completely enjoy the fact that people who spawn this hatred probably have never even read a Bible. I'm sure God loves people who hate. Or people who spend more time debating the validity of marriage in God's court, than they do finding murderers and rapists.

I am sure all the crooked Conservative Senators who cheat on their wives have not read the 10 Commandments lately to see that Adultry is right next to murder. I wonder how many people have gotten thrown in jail lately for committing such an obscene act that is right next to murder in THE BIBLE – nobody.

Wow, seriously, are we still debating this?

Pick up your Bible and read it once in a while. I'm getting kind of tired of people like you who don't actually care what God has to say, but make up some garbage in your mind that you think is right.

June 17, 2008 at 12:37 am |
  6. Joe in NorCal

It's about E Q U A L I T Y, plain and simple.

Prop 22 in California was an unconstitutional law. Get it? That's why the State Supreme Court struck it down. The Justices acted EXACTLY as the Judiciary is designed – to interpret the Constitution.

Why don't you get your own life and stop trying to tell others how to live theirs. Homophobic bigot.

June 17, 2008 at 12:36 am |
  7. John B

Well, let's just open it up so that we may be able to marry anything we want. Why should sexual orientation be a defining factor in modern marriage? Hey, if you really love your dog you should be able to marry it.

June 17, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  8. Jake

Honestly, I don't give a rat's patootie who or what you have an intimate relation with.

Please, please, please, don't expect me to believe everything you do. While I will tolerate (see: William Penn: Tolerance) anything that does not affect me in a personal or financial manner, your beliefs are yours. By attempting to force me into believing what you believe is nonsense, plain and simple.

I am not stating my religious beliefs. I am not stating my sexual orientation. These are not important to you. Yours are not important to me. Keep pontificating to those who wish to listen. I do not. I have enough problems without listening to yours.

June 17, 2008 at 12:34 am |
  9. RC

Those who do not know what Natural Law really is should not speak so openly about it.

Yes, Natural Law mandates that to create a human being, the reproductive cells of a human male and female must be brought together. In no way does gay marriage "attack" that law since it does not rewrite the rules of biology. No harm done there. Period.

Gay marriage will not make straight marriage less meaningful unless you personally think it does, and that's just your own business then. The meaningfulness of something is always a matter of personal taste.

As far as I know, the children of gay couples are no less ruined than the children of straight couples. As long as love is in the home, people tend to do alright. I think that's a pretty obvious statement.

Christianity is not the only religion in this country or the world, and marriage has been going on a lot longer than any monotheistic religion has been around. Religion did not create "marriage" but it did create some very elaborate ceremonies to mark the occasion.

Let's all remember our respective places, people. We are 6 billion autonomous beings with very short lives (relatively speaking), so work on building the happiness in your own short life and not on bringing hardship to the personal lives of others.

When you are on your deathbed, will you celebrate the marriages you prevented? Or the marriage you were allowed to cherish your whole adult life? Think of what that could mean to someone else, even if it really hurts to think about the thoughts and feelings of another human being. I know you can do it.

June 17, 2008 at 12:33 am |
  10. kathy V

My partner and I are fine, upstanding citizens. We have gained a great deal of respect and positive regard from all of our neighbors, coworkers, family...

Voluntarily, We have been on neighborhood captain boards, assiting the elderly on our block. We have tutored the kids next door.

Now we have a 2 year old who is very happy, well-adjusted–largely because he has two parents who are commited to eachother, to him, to our home, to our jobs, our community.

We are just like anyone else; that is, like anyone who chooses to follow the law, live a code of righteousnous, decency, integrity and honesty. We are "God- faring" individuals, who feel spiritually grateful, humble and loving towards God, or whatever larger power put us on this earth.

Live and Let Live...some of the greatest role models for young people
    HAPPEN to be Gay. Hey, we have developed a lot of character from soul searching and living the pain of a marginalized existence.

Peace

June 17, 2008 at 12:31 am |
  11. Kevin - New Bedford, MA

I would like to take religion out of politics, and the constitution of this country. I should not have to see "In God We Trust." on my currency. I too served my country and wish my President would never utter the words "May God Bless this great Nation." as he sends us off to war. I am a former Roman Catholic. I say former, because after my parents were divorced my mother was asked to leave the church. This was 1985 not 1685 by the way. I listened to my gay uncle sing "Ave Maria" at my grandmothers funeral in a Catholic church and the roof did not cave in. I have a son that is a cancer survivor. During treatment he asked me why God did this to him. These are matters of faith. Not my Constitution. This thread has shown me that this country is still as puritain as when we landed on Plymouth Rock.

June 17, 2008 at 12:29 am |
  12. David, TX

Why stop at gay marriage. Marriage obviously no longer has religious merit for most people posting on this board. Apparently is has more to do with tax breaks, healthcare, and unnatural affection. But lets not stop...I think PLURAL MARRIAGE should be legalized now. It provides the same benefits and it uses all the excuses that homosexuals demand. Rights, consenting adults, and tolerance for all; sounds like the same argument. The only difference is there are more people at the party?

This is all a terrible misuse of democracy. How come the people of the State of California don't get a chance to be heard? This is a travesty that the court decides for the people without giving them the right to vote. Plural marriage, gay marriage, marrying your favorite farm animal…whatever you one-way road tolerance preachers are wanting should still have to be voted on by the people. The court should be reprimanded and the people should have a right to vote.

I believe that gay marriage is just one more way people justify their sin by changing the law to fit their agenda. It helps them sleep better at night….but the laws of God and nature still don't change.

June 17, 2008 at 12:27 am |
  13. JeramieH

Blacks and women couldn't vote for a few hundred years, I guess that made it right, eh? Because tradition is always right.

Only the most insecure are afraid of change.

June 17, 2008 at 12:26 am |
  14. Blab V. Kant

I find your entire article to be nothing but closed-minded and bigoted. It's sad to see so many people like you spouting off things like this in this day in age. Are countries like the Netherlands and Spain in social chaos due to legalizing gay marriage?

June 17, 2008 at 12:25 am |
  15. Nate

(1) One of the key functions of the judicial branch in our country is to prevent the will of the majority from running roughshod over the rights of minorities. On the rare occasion the courts actually do their job, every namby pamby right wing spoiled brat blows a gasket over judges undoing bad laws – "de-legislating" if you will – from the bench.

(2) All of this is much ado about very little, because as we all know, there are still dozens of FEDERAL marriage benefits that gay folks who get married in Mass or CA or anywhere else will still be denied until the FEDERAL Supreme Court has the stones to de-legislate all the unconstitutional state laws.

(3) Tony, you standard bearer of all that is good and wholesome, we haven't forgotten about your prostitute-lovin' buddy Vitter. Or your cat-drownin' psychopath friend Dr. Bill Frist. But, chances are, you still have a job because your supporters have forgotten about all these folks. After all, they are the key constituents of DUMBmerica.

June 17, 2008 at 12:25 am |
  16. otherworld

You don't have to be a Christian to know that marriage is between men and women, always has been, always will be. Whatever documentation California is providing queer "marriage" means nothing. The rest of the world is laughing at U.S. over this pathetic breach of the natural order. Anyone who lives, or has to live, around these people knows what they're really like; pathetic reprobate pervers who have abandoned the natural order, and have no real place in society.

June 17, 2008 at 12:24 am |
  17. Robert

I am not religious or conservative. I am a musician and work with many gay people and love many of them. But come on friends and gays, you know the truth. It's not natural. You know it and everyone knows it. If it is what makes you happy then great. But you gays know what a difficult life it is. Don't you think it would be better if we didn't promote this lifestyle so that children will grow up believing that it is a good choice? Most people want you gays to be happy and have equal rights as long as you don't promote your unnatural lifestyle in a manner that makes it difficult for children to see the clear cut difference. This desire you have for your relationships to be called marriage is unfortunate for you. We the people have spoken on this subject and now there will be an ongoing backlash that will not help you. Bummer for you.

June 17, 2008 at 12:23 am |
  18. aaron

I find it ironic that the angriest, most hateful of the emails come from those who call for 'tolerance'. Those who want tolerance only want those opinions that agree with their own. Any dissention is considered 'intolerant'.

As for those who call for the separation of church and state, that principle was initiated to protect the church from the state, not the other way around. In this case, the church is in danger. It's only a matter of time before a same-sex couple approaches a church to be married with the intention of suing the pants off them when they are refused. Just wait and see.

June 17, 2008 at 12:23 am |
  19. Lori

I am appalled that the doctrine of gay people's lifestyle has invaded the sanctity of marriage. Kids are confused enough as this new gay explosion hits the airwaves of TV and media, news and magazines.
    As far as I can see the whole being born gay- its not my fault, has long since lost its credibility! Now, as ordinary straight kids are exposed to indoctrination by the media, television shows, magazines etc., all making gay the new fad, the new choice! I grew up in a home where my mother, after being sexually abused by men, was turned "gay" by a female therapist and my life as a young girl was thrown to into such turmoil, advanced only further by my mother changing lovers when I was a young teen with a highly outspoken visibly expressive gay woman. It traumatized me so much, I felt a need to date prematurely. I was just 14, dating a 19 year old. I got raped and it forever changed my view of the world. I wish there were laws protecting children from the sexual preferences of parents. The exposure that a child receives, confuses them and condones gay as normal. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but gay is not normal. There are reasons people become gay, and yes even some that are born that way. But that is not how our bodies work. They were created to match the opposite sex. Just because that opposite sex does not know how to please you sexually ,simply means they need awareness. Being traumatized by the opposite sex simply means you need to choose more wisley. I do not hate my mother, but I hate that she put her lifestyle on display, I hate that she didn't deal with her issues, and it caused me trauma. I have been since married and divorced and I have a grown child. I must tell you the work I've had to do dealing with this crap is vast to help guide her in life. That is our job as adults. To not define "Gay Union" as different, is to not acknolwedge a difference in race, handicap or gender only sufficing to confuse kids more and subject them to possible significant trauma's.

Gay Union is different and it is disrespectful to the truly gay, and straight people not to clarify this.

June 17, 2008 at 12:22 am |
  20. Maggie C

Tony,

I find it incredible that those who profess to believe in God know so little about the Bible, which is God's word. Is anyone familiar with the "Surrender unto Rome that which belongs to Rome ~ "? So follow man's law if you are required to, but give your soul to God and follow his word.

I will not vote in favor of anything that I do not support, and I would never ask anyone else to, but once in a while I would like to see a winning vote stand. It isn't necessary to hate simply because you disagree.

June 17, 2008 at 12:22 am |
  21. Denise

The GOD of the Bible does love everyone especially since he created us. However, he does not like everything that we do and their will be consequences for our actions that go against his will. If you read the bible then you will know what his will is for us with regards to marriage.

Jerimiah 29:4-9
    4 This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: 5 "Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. 6 Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. 7 Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper." 8 Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: "Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have. 9 They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them," declares the LORD.

June 17, 2008 at 12:22 am |
  22. Lyz in MD

What about MY religious freedom? My belief in performing same-sex marriages is every bit as deeply-held as others' beliefs (and more deeply-held than Perkins's, I daresay, as he is just an evil man who cynically exploits religion to spread hatred for his own selfish gain) but, unlike the THEOCRATS, I have no desire to force them on other people.

As repellant as I find the use of Christianity as an excuse for discrimination, I am not trying to take away your right to do so. YOU, on the other hand, are taking away my right to practice my beliefs, because they put LOVE and HUMAN DIGNITY above HATE.

I am not trying to force YOU to perform same-sex marriages. I am just trying to get MY right to do so reinstated. This is an aspect of the issue that right-wing mouthpiece CNN has studiously ignored.

The only ones trying to force their religious beliefs on others are those trying to ban others from performing same-sex marriages. The government does not force the Catholic church to remarry divorced people. The ban on same-sex marriage is NO DIFFERENT from the Catholic church gaining power and banning divorce.

June 17, 2008 at 12:21 am |
  23. william jordan

same sex marriage is fine long as two people are in love with one and one and do not like this are not nice people and are bunch of hopcrips and backstables and low lifes too and need to keep they nose out of gays and rest our life period or 90.90 billon dollars law shit from gays and rest of us got it from gays and rest of us in usa

June 17, 2008 at 12:21 am |
  24. Jeremy

I agree that this decision to allow gay marriage will eventually, as said in the article, "wreak havoc" in America. America is about people, and those people are who they are because of how they are raised in a family. What kind of values do gay couples typically support? No boundries on sexual orientation or judgement of sexual choices. One can not argue with the fact that gay communities include transexual, bi sexual, etc. in their group. Such practices not only cause mass diseases, but distort the nature of procreation. Duuu, as if it is some major surprise. A man and a man or a woman and a woman can not continue life. I'm not saying they should not be allowed to raise children, I am only raising the question of whether it is truly fair for a child who is born of a man and woman to be raised in a gay enviornment.

June 17, 2008 at 12:21 am |
  25. Bleus

I'm amazed at the amount of near-complete ignorance on the part of those who make statements claiming that a court is "making law against the will of the people".

For those whose heads are too buried in (very specific parts of) the bible (that support their prejudices), the Supreme Court does NOT make law, it defends the populace from being tyrannized by illegal laws.

As for your, "against the will of the people" argument, I think you very much need to read some articles regarding the limitations and deficiencies of democracy. Alexis de Tocqueville wrote an EXCELLENT book analyzing the American Republic and identified it's vulnerability towards "soft despotism" and (more pointedly), "the tyrrany of the majority". ANYONE who gets up and complains about a court ruling against "the will of the people" is demonstrating total ignorance of this concept (or is simply advocating for the right of the majority to tyrranize a particular minority). In either case, their argument is specious and should be dismissed out of hand accordingly.

Additionally let me simply add that I cannot, for the life of me, fathom how the religious right's selective parsing the bible has lead them to actually BELIEVE that being prevented from discriminating against a minority is actually discriminating against them! - I'm SURE the KKK et al would love to arrange it so granting civil rights to african-americans is REALLY discrimination against white-supremacists!

June 17, 2008 at 12:19 am |
  26. Glenn Tucker

Up front I am a religious person. I am of course against this but the way I see it is let them have their fun and do what they want. Because there will be a day, in which they laugh about and say will never come , in which they will have to answer for this. You can save this and re-read this when that day happens.

June 17, 2008 at 12:19 am |
  27. Hana

I'm going to have to disagree.

Gay marriage does nothing, NOTHING to destroy "traditional" marriage. It does not harm the marriages already performed, and it does not detract from family values because the majority of gay couples SHARE those values. Not to mention that this archaic opinion stems from Christian faith, and if a Church doesn't want to perform a marriage ceremony, then so be it. Nobody's is going to make them, but if the STATE wants to allow gay couples to form that final bond which has been denied to them, then so be it.

The gay community does not deserve to be treated as second-class citizens.

June 17, 2008 at 12:19 am |
  28. tina m

I'm so happy to see that the tide of public opinion has finally changed. I will wake up tomorrow and I'll still be married to my husband. My children will still respect the love that my husband and I have for each other, the world is not ending. Many people who love each other will finally be able to do something most of us have taken for granted. It really has nothing to do with me but I am happy for them.

June 17, 2008 at 12:18 am |
  29. Mark

Thank you to the straight people who understand someone of the same sex could love one another. You inspire me to be a better person. My partner and I have been together for 18+ years and we never needed a license to keep us together. Alot of straight marriages don't last that long.

However, what makes me sick is how some straight people claim gay people are ruining marriage. They need to take a hard look in the mirror and think about their own circle of family and friends. How many times have you heard that someone was from a "broken home". Straight people should put as much energy saving their own marriages or the marriage of someone they know, rather than trying to deny someone that right.

June 17, 2008 at 12:16 am |
  30. Jerry lee

I f marriage was entended for same sex it would been from beginning,but wasnt.Our culture is reached new low in condoneing a culture of gay rejects who choose word love as reason to engage into marriage. I say more like gay people cant handle rejection from opposit sex so they turn to one another for acceptance Call what you may think its simple truth our culture is no different then roman empire who by way choose same path of gay rights an was concured from with in because end result was culture collasped from with in due to no one cared any more. If freedom has been twisted once agun to mean equal, but in reality freedom means to be free from . Good people who represent us our goverment who is suppose to serve for better have lost vision of our past founding fathers. Our culture is doomed to make same or worest fate of romans empire mainly because of our coruption of simple word freedom

June 17, 2008 at 12:16 am |
  31. Katharine Wilson

We are moving into God's word here. Jahn Hagee says it best, God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve. God will deliver His Judgment on California/USA in due time or else He will need to apologise for Sodom and Gomorah. But he is the same yesterday today and tomorrow so there will be no apologies but rather...

June 17, 2008 at 12:15 am |
  32. Mr. Nguyen

AMERICA......STOP!!! This country is turning and becoming another ROMAN EMPIRE. I do not hate or have any negative judgement against Gay or Lesbian, however I have concerns with what you guys are doing to my children and other children around the world. "Promoting" Gay and Lesbian is wrong, protecting Gay and Lesbian is right. Recognizing the "Union" of gay or lesbian relationship is right, changing the definition of "Marriage" is wrong. The definition of "Marriage" has been defined for thousand of years, leave it alone. If my son or daughter is born as a Gay or Lesbian, I will love him/her exactly the same as any other child of mine, however, I will explain to them the definition of what a "marriage" is and ask that they respect it. I ask that you all should do the same. I am leaning toward voting for Democrat this year, but I am afraid that there will be another area of Gay and Lesbian promoting to my children that it is "Cool" to be Bi-Sexual. Please leave my children alone. If this country continue on its current path with disregard for what is "Moral", it will perish like the ROMAN EMPIRE once was.

June 17, 2008 at 12:14 am |
  33. David in Iowa City

No one, but no one, from the anti-equality side has been able to explain to me this: how extending rights to one class of citizens erodes the rights of others. It hasn't happened in Massachusetts and it won't happen in California. It also won't happen in future jurisdictions where equality is inevitable.

Against gay marriage? Don't have one. End of discussion.

June 17, 2008 at 12:13 am |
  34. Sean O'Leary

Mr. Perkins,

As you continue to conduct family "research", why not consult the "Old Testament" about how that marriage thing has worked over the past several millenia. You might notice the patriarchs had multiple wives and concubines, and they were still down with the big J man. So it kind of seems possible that you only pull the stuff from the Bible you can use for hate mongering, but manage to ignore the material that's inconvenient. But you can't have it both ways can you?

I wonder what it is you really fear?

June 17, 2008 at 12:13 am |
  35. Sam

Roger so let me get this straight, since homosexual couples can't conceive children they shouldn't be allowed to marry? What about all the heterosexual couples in America that can't have children? Should we deny them the right to marry as well? Also, if you haven't noticed lately the world is overpopulated as it is. This is due of course to heterosexual couples. Blame everything on the gays because they’re such an easy target, but look in the mirror and there is the real problem. Get a clue before you post such idiotic garbage that has no weight in this argument at all.

June 17, 2008 at 12:13 am |
  36. Jeanette

It is a myth that our Founding Fathers were all Christian. Many were Unitarians or Universalists, religious groups who currently allow gay marriage. Some of our non-Christian Founding Fathers include:
    John Adams
    Robert Paine
    Thomas Jefferson (who edited the Bible, BTW)
    Paul Revere

Moreover, some comments show a lack of understanding in how the Court system works. Judges cannot and did not make any laws. The Supreme Court, whether at a State or Federal level, look at a law and compare it to the Constitution of the State or Nation to judge whether a law is or is not Constitutional. Apparently, the California Supreme Court found that a law against Gay Marriage was unconstitutional.

Gay marriage is about such simple things as being at the bedside of the person you love when they are dying, having health benefits, and sharing love. Furthermore, boiling heterosexual marriage down to children is offensive to couples who either choose to be childless or cannot have children.

Finally, historically, there have been all sorts of different marriage arrangements. Many cultures, including many European cultures we now revere, have had homosexual marriages and relationships in their history.

The biggest threat to our nation is ignorance, not gay marriage. If everyone really understood American history and the Constitution, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

June 17, 2008 at 12:13 am |
  37. m.e. stern

To Those of you who believe that same-sex marriage
    contributes to the "decline in American families," consider the following:

How about all of the husbands (and wives) who have affairs
    and then ruin their marriage and their kids' lives as a result?

Do you have any idea, also, how many uncles / step-fathers
    etc. sexually abuse the girls in their family?

My point is, there are a GREAT many other, more serious factors
    in this world, that eat at the American family, than two consenting adults who get together and want to marry, (and happen to be of the same sex).

YOU POINT FINGER AT THE WRONG THINGS!

And, yes, Massachusetts has NOT spiraled into chaos, or
    threatened any hetero's marriage as a result of the new legislation, allowing gays to marry,.

June 17, 2008 at 12:10 am |
  38. jens

I'm sorry, I didn't get the memo that the 360 blog was being opened to one sided critiques by non-journalists. Shame on you CNN.

June 17, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  39. Jay Parks

Mr. Perkins, who ever you are,
    I still think it's the best way to curb the world wide population explosion. Wha's more inportant, saving the world or feeling good.
    Seems like religion (Christianity or whatever faith goes out the window when it come to sex). Wake up people.

June 17, 2008 at 12:08 am |
  40. Texun

I find the thought of Gooch having sex with an animal pretty unappealing, so I hope he controls himself and doesn't assault one. As to the Family Research Council, the whole operation is a put-on; there is no serious research conducted under its auspices. It exists mainly to alarm conservative people and to keep the cash to ultra-right-wing causes flowing. Unfortunately for David R.'s argument, homosexuality between animals of many species is well documented in scientific research, so it's hardly "unnatural." Psychologists, psychiatrists, and the vast majority of practitioners in related sciences do not find homosexual relationships abnormal. So, David R.'s argument might have made sense in a previous milleneum or two, but it surely doesn't now. Social historians have thoroughly documented the decline of the monogamous family; the trend has little or nothing to do with homosexuality, let alone with homosexual marriage. The pity in all of this is that opportunists like Perkins succeed in alarming otherwise decent people unnecessarily and unfairly.

June 17, 2008 at 12:07 am |
  41. Katherine Taylor

This country ensures freedom but we have gone too far when "freedom to marry" a same sex partner is forced upon us by the judicial systems in spite of vote of the people. The majority vote has been disregarded. Is that freedom? This country was created with a government "of the people, by the people and for the people" by majority vote. It was not intended that desires of the majority be overtured by the judicial system in favor or the minority. I personally feel that same sex unions are immoral and a sin in God's eyes. However, I am more grieved that the vote of the majority has been abolished for the privilages of the few.

June 17, 2008 at 12:05 am |
  42. Terry

Edwin, you are out of your mind. Violence and crime are not spawned by same-sex marriages. Lack of parental guidance, instruction, barrages of violent video games, etc. maybe are. Loving lesbian/gay couples are not violent criminals. They have nothing to do with the increase of crime in our country. Mr. Perkins, The freedom for gay-lesbian couples to marry does not in any way threaten heterosexual marriages, unless one of those involved is confused about their own sexual orientation. A lesbian couple who live two streets down from me don't in any way shape or form "rub off" on me, my neighbors, or my neighbors' children. You need to look deep inside yourself to find what the root of your own homophobic fear is.

June 17, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  43. Vickey

A persons moral conviction has nothing to do with their capacity to execute their job duties. If somone refuses to perform a job requirement because they feel it's a conflict of personal beliefs they should quit and allow someone else to collect the paycheck. Everywhere I've worked, if I show up to my job and refuse to do my work it's considered insubordination. There is no logical reason to appauld such behavior as brave (sounds to me like you're appaulding an official bilking the system of tax payer dollars and not working for it).

June 17, 2008 at 12:02 am |
  44. Bruce

Marriage between only a man and a woman? What of Islamic countries where a man may have more than one wife? Is that also unnatural? It occurred here in the US before polygamy was outlawed (and polyandry is illegal also).

If everyone waited until they were married to have sex and then had sex only to procreate and we had no birth control, we would find ourselves rapidly outproducing our means of feeding ourselves, as Malthus predicted so many years ago.

Let's all get married, men and women, outlaw divorce, outlaw adultery (it is already still in many states), outlaw abortion, outlaw birth control and see how well off we all are after a couple of decades.

As for spouting off in public on the street corners about one's religion, I say to them: Matthew 6:6.

June 17, 2008 at 12:01 am |
  45. Randall

Well LALA Land has done it again! Leave it calif. to legalize an un-natural act!. Unnatural is what it is if 2 men or 2 women was supposed to be together they would make babies but I have yet to see that. But if it did it would happen in calif. But if we must have gays in this country maybe the state of calif. would try to get all gays to live in there state. Which I would be happy to see move them all to calif.

June 17, 2008 at 12:01 am |
  46. Regina Tower

It is not part of nature to be homosexual! Also when our courts start making laws above the peoples wishes at the ballot box as a country we have lost our way!

June 17, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  47. Jacey

We live in a Judeo Christian society were we believe in God, family, and country. I do not see how allowing same sex couples to "marry" is in accordance with the basic laws of morality. I am not much of a dabater, but I can tell you when something is flat out wrong, and allowing men to marry men or women to marry women is absurd. Some day, we will realize just how rediculous we have become.

June 17, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  48. Lyz in MD

There is one aspect of this issue that CNN has totally ignored. Being forced by the government to perform same sex marriages is NOT the only reason for a church to do so. Not all churches are HATE CULTS, like this evil Pharisee wants to turn Christianity into. Some churches BELIEVE in performing same-sex unions, and those churches' religious freedom is unConstitutionally infringed by the Pharisees' hate laws.

The government never has forced, or will force, any religious group to perform a marriage it does not believe in. That is a cynical lie spread by the hate groups. Catholic churches, for example, do not have to marry people who have been divorced.

The Constitutional test for government interference in religious practice is "compelling interest." That is also why no court will strike down a law against traficking in child brides- the government has a compelling interest in protecting children from abuse. However, the government has no right to force people to perform a marriage, (rather than sending a couple to another church or to the state), nor does it have the right to infringe MY right to perform same-sex marriages.

June 16, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  49. pete

whats wrong with gay people marrying. just who are they hurting?
    haven't we moved a bit beyond the old testament as an arbiter of our lives
    pete NZ

June 16, 2008 at 11:57 pm |
  50. Brian

Well said Mr. Perkins. I'm glad that people like you can stand up for your beliefs and what's right. We need more good people like you standing up against this decline in morality.

June 16, 2008 at 11:56 pm |