June 16th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/16/08

Right now, people in towns big and small along the Mississippi are sandbagging as fast as they can. In Clarksville, Missouri alone they're trying to get half a million sandbags in place ahead of the floodwaters expected to hit this river town. Along the Iowa River, the worst has already happened with six dead in the state. In some places, the water levels are falling but the anger is rising, from people who just want to go home, no matter how little they may have to go home to. Dan Simon and Gary Tuchman are in the flood zone with the latest.

In politics, a big name endorsement for Barack Obama tonight. He's got the Nobel prize, but does Al Gore still have political clout? We’ll find out from the best political team on television.

Anderson is reporting from the Democratic Republic of the Congo tonight. He’s been in Africa for more than a week now along with Dr. Sanjay Gupta. They’ve been looking at endangered habitats and how animal populations here are being wiped out. They’re also studying how viruses, potentially deadly viruses, travel from animals to men. Anderson has a reporter’s notebook for us tonight. You can also take a look at some of the pictures from their trip.

Campbell Brown will be anchoring the show tonight. You can see them on our live web cam. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tracey - Boston

Here, Here Cynthia

Bravo

June 16, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Cynthia

Gay marriage – not my thing. But, whatever floats your boat as the old saying goes and as the bible states, judge ye not lest yet be judged.

June 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Jacqui Chan

THANKS SO MUCH MEGAN!!!
    I have not been able to blog last week but thanks to my dvr I caught all of 360; Campbell and Erica were/are doing a great fill-in for Anderson

June 16, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  4. Fay, CA

Tony Perkins and his organization are completely out of touch. Same sex marriage is not going to bring about the end of civilization, but intolerance and hate just might.

June 16, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Renee

Aren't these ladies dear? 55 years of being together. Now that is cause for celebration of life and all things bright and beautiful.

June 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  6. Francesca Elm

David Gergen I was thinking the same thing about Gore and how much slimmer he looked. He looks much better.

Hooray for California! Finally a state recognizes gay couples. I'm not gay, and most of us aren't, but just because it doesn't apply to the majority doesn't mean it should be denied to the minority.

June 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Jolene

Hi David Gergen! Loved the quote from George Bernard Shaw on your blog post today. I also believe that Al Gore will be a powerhouse for Obama especially with his passion for Global Warming.

June 16, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Jacqui Chan

the way in which so many journalists at cnn talk about Tim Russert with such compassion and loss I know what a wonderful man he must have been. He was an incredible person who the world lost to young.

June 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Tracey - Boston

Anderson's voice was so dramatic it fit the mood

June 16, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, Ohio

That was a beautiful Reporter's Notebook! Anderson's words really complemented the black and white photography; it was very poignant!

June 16, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Fay, CA

So glad to see Anderson have an opportunity to file his Reporter's Notebooks, they are always engrossing and tonight's was no exception.

June 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Jana, Indiana

Anderson, thanks so much for your reporters notebook. It was so good and very imformative. Something about those black and white photos made a big impact to your piece. It brought tears to my eyes.

June 16, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Cynthia

Great report by Anderson as always.

June 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

Hi Jacqui!
    Welcome back! missed you on blog 360!

June 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  15. Jolene

That was worth the wait....great PIP2 reporter's notebook. The B&W effect of the pics added to the mood of the notebook...

June 16, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Renee

I'm feeling another best selling book for Anderson.

Oh, FYI, Ms. Helmsley's dog lives down at the beach in Sarasota, FL. A beach bum dog.

June 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Tracey - Boston

Wow!

That was excellent.

June 16, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Hannah Storm

wow Anderson's reporter's notebook was just amazing......the photos are incredible.

I want to go to Africa so bad

June 16, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Cynthia

David, haven't had a chance to look at other areas of the blog but will go back and look. I have watched Tim Russert's show for a number of years and found him to always be tough but fair. He was very politically astute and I bet he went to heaven knowing who our next President will be.

June 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar

Hannah,
    Me too!!!!!! I love Planet in Peril! I am so exciting for him!!!!!! Yay!! Nice see him tonight! I missed him so much! Cool pictures!
    David Gergen,
    I agree with you, Campbell is great job subbing for Anderson C.

June 16, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  21. Hannah Storm

Hey David

Thanks for joining the blog tonight.

I have to say how impressed I was with Luke Russert on the Today show. He seems like a good guy and Tim and Maureen obvisously did a great job raising him.

It is really still hard to believe that Tim is gone

June 16, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  22. Jacqui Chan

(sorry 4 late post, computer problems)
    i am glad that shelter is taking in animals as well as people! So many people stayed behind in Katrina because they did not want to leave their pets. I would NEVER leave my furry children!

June 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  23. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Isn't Campbell doing a great job filling in for Anderson? She has been an excellent addition to the CNN team.

One of the things that struck me about Al Gore tonight - beyond the enthusiasm of his endorsement - was how trim he looked. That hasn't always been the case in recent times. I wouldn't be surprised if he were to do some agressive campaigning this fall - he very much much likes Obama and he cares deeply, deeply about climate change. While Obama and McCain are both in favor of addressing the issue (unlike Bush, who was in denial for many years), I think Gore believes that a Democratic administration is much more likely to get a major energy bill in place in the U.S. and also negotiate some sort of mandatory agreement with China and India (China has now passed the U.S. in carbon emissions). And Gore himself, I believe, would find great personal fulfillment if he could be the one representing the U.S. in negotiating a world-wide agreement. So, Gore'a endorsement tonight could have ripple effects for a long time to come. Worth watching.

In the meantime, if you have a moment, would welcome your response to a blog I wrote earlier today about the terrible loss of Tim Russert (AC 360 blog). Just saw the last few minutes of Larry King tonight and looked as if he did a fine job following up on Tim's death.

Best to you all,

David

June 16, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Kathy, Chicago

The Fox River is supposed to crest tomorrow. No more rain is expected though, and people are crossing their fingers that the water levels will go down fast.

June 16, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  25. Cynthia

I know EJ about all the senseless deaths in New Orleans. I was talking about them being able to get back to their homes, etc.

June 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Hannah Storm

A Reporter's Notebook from Anderson...........been so long since we have had one of those. So excited!!!!!!!

June 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar

Gary T,
    I agree with Stacy...... I am so afraid of you are still standing in the water. what are you doing right now?

June 16, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Jana, Indiana

Gary did a great job interviewing those people that were displaced by the floods.

June 16, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, Ohio

Glad to see Gary wearing the waders! Loved the little girl, was she cute or what?

June 16, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Jolene

Gary is awesome! So dedicated to his reporting. I'm so glad that they aren't forgetting about the pets. They must be scared to death.

June 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Genevieve M, TX

Hi Erica! How did you spend Father's Day?

Where I live, alot of people were out in their front (or back) yards cooking on the grill.

June 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  32. EJ (USA)

Hopefully it won’t get anywhere near as bad as New Orleans

I think 2,000 people were killed by the flooding in New Orleans.

June 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Yes Erica, What a mess to clean up and rebuild. This will take a long time.

June 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar

Wow! that is so scary for me, I saw Gary is still standing about half around 8 feet or 10 feet....

June 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  35. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Didn't many of these towns and cities get flooded in 1993? What has been done since then to prevent what's happening again?

June 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Hannah Storm

Wow that shelter is like a modern Noah's Ark

June 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Sharon Stevenson, Peru

How ridiculous to not let people back into their homes. Outside St. Louis in Valley Park we had floods every year and it was really important to get in AS the water was going out so you could shovel and sweep out the mud with it and quickly get rugs and furniture out into the sun.
    Government run amuck. The man interviewed had every right to be angry.

June 16, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Cynthia

I saw a woman who was told that she did not need flood insurance and did not get it. So, now her insurance won't cover it.

June 16, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Stacy

Oh Gary, what are you doing? What's really crazy is that the cameraman is probably standing in that water too.

June 16, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  40. ericacnn

these floods are incredible...i hate to think what these homes and businesses will look like when residents are finally allowed back in

June 16, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Francesca Elm

I've been flooded before and nothing is worse. Not only is everything wet, but it's muddy. I feel so bad for the victims in Iowa, they are so helpless, and the worst part, the clean up, is just beginning.

June 16, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Since Fema can't use the trailers with formaldhyde, what shelter will be given to the flood victims. Most trailers have this toxin, so what's left, I wonder?

June 16, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Cynthia

Hopefully it won't get anywhere near as bad as New Orleans

June 16, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Jo Ann, Ohio

Gary will go to any lengths to get the story for us!

June 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Hannah Storm

I wonder how tall Gary is????

June 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Ken in NC

I agree with David about McCain returning the $300,000.00 or making it a donation to a charitable group as was done by the Obama campaign. This would make the story pretty much go away but as is, it will continue to dog Senator McCain.

June 16, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Cynthia

I agree with Tracy about McCain being in the good ole boys group. I also read somewhere that he said some mean things as well about women.

June 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Jana, Indiana

My gosh, Gary is up to his arm pits in that water!!!!!!!!!!

June 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Genevieve M, TX

Gary Tuchman must not be too concerned about the stuff floating around in that water! Since he is standing in waist-high water, can we safely assume he can swim?

June 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  50. kim-chicago

David...that has been my point exactly!!! We need to elect someone who lives in this world as it exists today!! NOT John McCain!!

June 16, 2008 at 10:21 pm |