June 16th, 2008

Erica's News Note: What a Monday...

Erica Hill
AC 360° Correspondent

The images from the Midwest are eerily reminiscent of some other recent floods in the US. Our
reporters have sent in some unbelievable shots – they are worth a look.

I have a tough time wrapping my head around that much water; all I can focus on is the aftermath we saw in Louisiana and Mississippi, and it is not a pretty sight.

__________

Millions of White House emails may be unaccounted for…and they’re likely going to stay that way, as are the records about why and how they may have gone missing. Today, a federal judge ruled the White House Office of Administration – the folks in charge of storing records, including emails – isn’t subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

Why are people so interested in these emails? A few reasons… one is former CIA agent Valerie Plame, and the details on how and when her identity was leaked. The White House denies any evidence – including emails – was lost.

__________

She’s been married five times. She’d been widowed five times. All of her husbands spent time in the military. Now police want to know if the woman who was once married to these men may be responsible for their deaths. One former brother-in-law says he’s been suspicious for decades, and has been trying to get authorities to dig a little deeper. A little old lady, killing off one husband after another? Some say it may not be so far-fetched.

__________

So many of the stories I was reading today were depressing, disgusting or both. I didn’t want to subject you to all of that on a Monday, so here’s a reminder that there are still plenty of good peple in this world.

Filed under: Erica Hill • Erica's News Note
  1. James Dylan

Missing emails? Please, they are not missing, they are destroyed. Quit calling them missing and ask why they were destroyed. Scratch the surface and I think you'll find it's because they were evidence. Oh, were's the next Tim Russert? Future journalists don't let his spirit die too.

June 16, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  2. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Erica,
    Yes, there's certainly an awful lot of depressing news out there. On the bright side, it's 18 days to the Fourth of July! Around 4 months after that, the election will be over and done, lights out and the confetti and balloons swept up and recycled! There's some good, happy thoughts for a Monday in June? take care

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

June 16, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  3. Julie San Diego, CA

Great story on the former inmate who is using her video camera to enable communication between inmates and their kids.

We've got program out in San Diego county where volunteers can go in and tape inmate moms as they read donated children's books to their kids. The videotape and the book is given to the kids so they can "read along with mom" at home.

At first, many of the moms are a bit shy about reading because some of them don't have good reading skills themselves, but after awhile, they forget the tape is rolling and it's a good experience for both the moms and the kids.

There's lots of good news out there. We just have to look for it...

June 16, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

The little old lady who has outlived 5 husbands – you would think the police would have had questions before now and that autopsies would have been done. If the lady isn't doing something to help the men in her life on to their heavenly reward then she has terrible luck with men. I think I'd steer clear.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 16, 2008 at 9:53 pm |
  5. Elizabeth

Erica –

I am so glad that their is accurate coverage on the flooding in the Midwest. I live in Kansas so my thoughts lead me to the potential tornadoes that could rip through my small town of Hutchinson. I personally have been through a dozen tornadoes throughout my life and pray that none come to my small town or any other. Great reporting!

June 16, 2008 at 9:46 pm |
  6. Carla

I feel for the those in the MIdwest, but how about a story on North Dakota and our oil boom. I am so tired of hearing about California and their housing problems. We have the opposite. We don't have enough houses between the oil field workers and more Airmen expected to come to Minot Air Force Base with another B-52 Squadron. Yes, I know of the negative things the base has experienced. But, North Dakota is sitting on what could help out our energy problems in the future.

June 16, 2008 at 9:44 pm |
  7. Genevieve M, TX

How does anyone get married that many times?!? Yikes!!

I wonder if the police will exhume the bodies (assuming they were buried and not cremated) and do autopsies on them? The remains can be tested for other possible causes of death, such as poisoning.

If this lady is found guilty of killing her husbands, I hope she (at the minimum) stays in prison the rest of her life. A woman that is cold and cunning enough to kill 5 husbands is a waste of oxygen and should not be allowed to roam among the general population.

June 16, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  8. Gord, Montreal

Hey Erica,

It has been a tough week. It is hard to watch the pictures of the flooding in the mid west and see so many people lose everything they own.

It sounds like you are little down today.

That being said how can we put a smile on your face.........I know tonight we need a nice fuzzy animal picture or in Anderson's absence may be the japanese disco navy video.....

June 16, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

Hi Erica!
    I saw in Iowa and midwest on TV on CNN this morning, My thoughts and prayer with people in Iowa and midwest, It is so awful sight to see all over on street flooded, 6 people killed. I hope flooding will crest soon. Yes! I can't wait see Anderson tonight! He is great job in Africa doing project program " Planet in Peril 2! I'm so exciting see him on AC360 tonight. I hope Sanjay, Lisa, and he will stay safe trip in Africa.......... Thanks for share with me today....
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

June 16, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  10. Victor in Saanich, B.C. Canada

Erica, as to the floods, it will be interesting to see how the nation answers to that neck of the woods indeed!!! The Katrina/ Fema debacle was not a proud moment in your history. Before any replies, let me say that the gouvernments up here have trouble enough handling blizzards!! A real catastrophe would probably require international help due to our own incompetence!!

June 16, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  11. Alexander

Erica,

I think it's great what is done with those videos for inmates. It's got to be very hard on the children who have parents or other relatives locked up for some time. Hope your Monday is looking up- don't be depressed. While there's much sadness in life there's also plenty to look forward to and to live for and be happy about.:)

June 16, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  12. Lilibeth

Hi Erica,

Two words on all the recent storms: global warming. It seems that Mother Nature keeps sending us a wake-up call. We should pay attention or we’ll be in for more…

On the White House e-mails…the current administration disgusts me so much; I don’t even want to comment on it.

The woman who may have killed all her 5 husbands…nothing surprises me anymore if this turns out to be true…and if it is true, you’d think she would’ve been caught the first time.

My hats off to Carolyn LeCroy for channeling her skills to do something good. I hate to say it and I know she didn’t deserve it, but maybe there was a reason that she went to prison? To fulfill this unmet need? Sometimes, no matter how strange it sounds, things do happen for a reason.

See you tonight,
    Lilibeth
    Edmonds, Washington

June 16, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  13. pati mc., camp hill, pa

Hi Erica,

Thank goodness for the last story about Carolyn. I was beginning to feel pretty badly there until I read her article. What a way to make lemons from lemonade. Good for her! Thankfully people like her still exist in this troubled world. We should all take a lesson.

That lady who lose all of those husbands is creepy as all get out. There has to be something there. That is way too much of a coincidence if you ask me. But then, I am no detective. Hmmm. Intersting to see what comes of this. Keep us posted.

All of the tragic weather we have had in this country really makes you think. Then I hear people saying that global warming is a scam and all I can think is "looked outside lately"? People crack me up.

Thanks for the updates. You sure save me from reading through tons of info to see what is going on out there. Appreciate you hard work, Erica.

Take care and we will see you tonight. Cannot wait to see Anderson's report from Cameroon. Fascinating stuff.

June 16, 2008 at 6:53 pm |