June 13th, 2008

PLANET IN PERIL: Battle Lines – Rwanda

Battle Lines

Bloggers,

Check out these pictures of Anderson on assignment in Rwanda for Planet In Peril: Battle lines.

Filed under: Planet in Peril
  1. Frank Malone

The role that Andersen Cooper has now taken on is yet another example of his value to your television station and American journalism in general. He truly knows how to get to the facts of each story that he covers because he does have this one frightening but fantastic aspect of his character. He gets to the bottom of the story and will not stop until he eventuall ends up at the truth behinfd the words that have been spoken to him and if feelings are hurt that is just too bad. Just like all his Cnn comrades have shown on a daily basis, The truth eventually comes out in the end for all the world to see. Also , your logo"CNN equals politics" could be mproved to "CNN equals Honest Reporting and Truth" as you certainly do.

June 14, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  2. Kimberly (Mississippi, US)

Anderson, we appreciated your reporting after Katrina-you told it like it was, and now glad to see you are doing outside the US. I totally believe this, I travelled to over eighty countries in the course of ten years and in my travels my husband and I met up in the early 90's with a Danish man in Egypt who had recently traveled on a plane with the parents of the first person (a child) who had contracted Ebola virus. I have always remembered that encounter. Thank you for bringing a glimpse of the outside world that is so little known to the US. After traveling so long, I often feel like a total outsider when I try to explain to my friends the sounds of tigers roaring in the Thai jungle and the thundering sounds of bamboo popping from just growing naturally in the night as we try to sleep at camp in the jungle. Enjoy your time and keep it in a special place in your heart and soul because even if you try to put it on camera, the camera still will not completely capture what you experienced. And if you ever come to Bay St. Louis again, we'll buy you a beer at the newly rebuilt (we are so excited because we re-open at the end of July) Bay Waveland Yacht Club. Keep on keeping on! , Kimberly

June 13, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  3. anne newfoundland,canada

Once again,some very outstanding photos from Jeff.
    I love the black and white images.
    I enjoyed the sldeshow,and also look forward to everyone's blog posts.

Take care, everyone.

June 13, 2008 at 9:20 pm |
  4. Annie Kate

Great great pictures – thanks so much for posting them. I hope we get some reports soon on the PIP work there. I'm sure its just as fascinating.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 13, 2008 at 9:19 pm |
  5. kay, Huntsville, AL

I hope you are all doing well in Rwanda. It is already hotter than a pepper sprout here in Alabama! I love the photos! I had a strange dream a few years ago about Anderson Cooper. He was standing by a river at night in New Orleans. Fireworks were going off. It was the fourth of July. The moon was full and he was dressed in a black pull over shirt and blue jeans. I was standing by him looking at him but he did not seem to see me. He looked at peace as he looked out over the water. I loved that dream. The photos I see now remind me of the dream. Take care. Looking forward to PIP 2.

June 13, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  6. EJ (USA)

And now we have a 7.0 magnitude earthquake hitting Japan.

June 13, 2008 at 7:59 pm |
  7. Bren from Atlanta

Beautiful story-ograhy...I love the PIP2 and again hope that one day a book will be in print profiting the cause of protecting these beautiful animals. I loved the book "The Forgotten War" that MSF recently published following a nationwide tour of the pictorial view of the villages they visited throughout the Congolese peoples. I was wondering if the crew is traveling with any protection as I know my NGO members do when we work in DRC. Its hard to negotiate with the Mai Mai and the Interhambwe when you don't know who the bad guys are...Bren in Atlanta.

June 13, 2008 at 7:43 pm |
  8. EJ (USA)

I wonder if Anderson finds it ironic that in the attempts to bring us some of this important news & research from Africa this week – it has been interrupted/delayed because of such sad news here. The 4 boy scout deaths from the tornado, the tremendous historic flooding -especially in Iowa, continuous crazy weather all over the country, and of course today's sad news (although not weather related but so incredibly sad).

Take care of yourself Anderson – You know we love your reporting, but we miss seeing you on 360.

June 13, 2008 at 7:36 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

Awesome pictures!!! Anderson........
    Thanks for share slideshow pictures........ I love this picture...... I love 2 gorillas, I hope that Gorillias will never contact humans, I know Gorillias are so friendly or shake hands, ( be careful wash your hands!) I can't wait see you come back on AC360! I missed you so much on blog and AC360 program.... stay safe trip! Hope you will finish the project "Planet in Peril" I couldn't wait see this next fall! 🙂 Please come back home soon...... let me know how are you doing? You will need write me back on blog......... take care yourself and team.
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

June 13, 2008 at 6:50 pm |
  10. Kathy, Chicago

AC, I'm so glad you are doing what you love to do. The pictures are awesome and I can't wait for PIP II Please be safe. I'm looking forward to the updates.

June 13, 2008 at 5:52 pm |
  11. JC- Los Angeles

As usual, fantastic work; if mountain gorillas can get along with humans of all kinds, perhaps there's hope for our politicians. Safe travels.

June 13, 2008 at 5:09 pm |
  12. Pamina

The pictures of Rwanda are haunting and beautiful. I will be interested to hear about what scientists are learning about the spreading of disease. I wonder if the cures for these potential pandemics are also in the jungle?
    Looking forward to tonight!

June 13, 2008 at 4:21 pm |
  13. Lilibeth

Anderson and team, please don't eat porcupine...they're prickly, but kinda cute...

June 13, 2008 at 4:16 pm |
  14. Jo Ann

These are beautiful photos! I would be interested in reading about Jeff’s experiences photographing this series. I learned to appreciate the beauty of black and white photography while studying the work of Ansel Adams in college. Although I loved the color photos from the first PIP series, the use of black and white sets a mood and lets the subject speak for itself without the distraction of color while allowing a subtlety of tone. I can’t wait to see more, but I would prefer to see them in a larger form.

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

June 13, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  15. Yunett

Thanks for the pictures they are absolutely amazing. Can't wait to see more. Stay safe Anderson and team. We can't wait to have you back 😉

Yunett

Vancouver, Canada

June 13, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  16. Jeanine

Amazing pictures! I watched all the vblogs as well. Can you tell us what the CNN staff is eating ? I know they are hiking 8 hours to film the villagers find dinner for their families, but are they also eating porcupine?
    I can't wait to see the whole show.
    Thanks & be safe!

June 13, 2008 at 3:05 pm |
  17. Dee Stevens

The slide show taken by Jeff Hutchen of AC is very well done.

June 13, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  18. Cindy

Thanks for the amazing pics. They are all so beautiful. Jeff Hutchens is a great photographer! Can't wait to see a lot more of his work. And also a lot more reports from the PIP2 project. Hopefully we'll get that tonight!

Cindy...Ga.