June 13th, 2008

PLANET IN PERIL: Battle Lines – Cameroon

Battle Lines

Bloggers,

Check out these pictures of Anderson on assignment in Cameroon for Planet In Peril: Battle lines.

Filed under: Planet in Peril
  1. Arthur Apiyo

Anderson, i am a very depressed citizen of the world. Is Africa the Only "Planet In Peril". The Western Media has taken to demonising Africa while right here in the USA HIV AIDS is killing tonees of minority culture and floods are swiping across the face of USA.

American media is so biased and guess what, african media stations will one day air your dirt that USA have been hiding under the carpet.

Every time a program is aired about planet in peril be it by Geographic Channel, History Channel, Christian Amanpour and now AC 360, it always Africa.

Shame on you guyz for demonising Africa just to make news.

Proud Citizen of Africa

June 16, 2008 at 9:29 am |
  2. Kristen- Philadelphia, PA

Amazing pics, thanks for posting 🙂
    Jeff great job can't wait for you guys to come back and share the whole story with us viewers. Be safe out there.

June 16, 2008 at 7:34 am |
  3. Anssuya

These pictures are just great, Jeff, well done for the excellent photos, they really give us an insight of the upcoming documentary. The photo number 3 is really the best while for the number 8: are the animals killed "monkeys"?)
    Thank you Anderson and your team for making us aware...
    Unfortunately can only catch glimpses of your documentary online 😦

June 16, 2008 at 6:13 am |
  4. Gerard

Hi Anderson and the PIP crew, I will like to applaud you on your documentary you are running from Cameroon and other parts of the world. However, I do not think it is appropriate to draw to conclusion that AIDS originated from Cameroon without substantial evidence. From one of your blogs you said:

".... After all, scientists have now determined that it was in this country’s forests that HIV was unleashed." Which scientists are we talking about?

"I had always heard that HIV started in monkeys, but I hadn’t known much about the way it was transmitted to humans...It’s now believed that it all started with a chimpanzee in Cameroon". Will it not be hasty to make such a conclusion? There have been so many differing sources of this disease. I am not sure when it became official that AIDS originated from Cameroon.

Will you be kind enough to back up your statements with the names of the scientists and if possible previous scientific data or evidence? This will greatly enlighten the rest of your ever-eager audience that seek to know the truth on this human epidemic.

June 16, 2008 at 12:21 am |
  5. EJ (USA)

Anderson, I was having a discussion with my dad today about you. We agreed that you do pretty dangerous work. I know you are one of the best, and I hope you are doing what you love. When it comes down to it, I guess that's the most important thing. I look forward to the rest of your reports this week from Africa.

June 15, 2008 at 11:35 pm |
  6. Magdalene

Hi Anderson,
    It is fascinating that when the world can't find an answer to any question, a hypothesis that can be attributed to Africa always comes up. I was born and raised in the forests of Cameroon but I have never seen or heard that a Chimp ate a Chimp. I guess the scientists at UCLA need to review their hypothesis!!!

June 15, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Ratna, New York, NY

Maroon communities in Caribbean and South America eat bush meat too. But what is the difference in being in the region of Africa?

June 15, 2008 at 7:03 am |
  8. Sabrina in Los Angeles

The pictures are wonderful but their situation seems so sad.

I think I would rather just die then have to eat any of that "bushmeat". Can't they clear a plot and raise animals? I'm sure some charity could assist in the acquisition of animals for them. They seem to have water. Maybe they just need the story told so people can help and that is where you guys come in to tell it.

Thank you.

June 15, 2008 at 2:34 am |
  9. imelda

With all of this extreme weather, I have heard no possible link to global warming in the newscasts, or even the exploration of the possibility. It is a horrid tragedy, we often don't want to see what we are complicit in. Are these symptoms of a larger problem? Will these events escalate and become more frequent? Would this conversation, cause more people to push fro green energy and technology? "An Incovenient Truth" describes weather such as this linked to global warming. We all should certainly respect and honor the humanity in this tragedy, but also acknowledge the potential or a further exploration into what influence climate change is having on these events.

June 15, 2008 at 2:07 am |
  10. Mike from Chicago

Anderson,
    Thank you for focusing attention on one of my favorite counties: Cameroon. But, I think you are giving some wrong impressions. Cameroonians eat a lot of seafood – fresh fish from the ocean. They have large agriculture – palm, plantain, bananas, corn. Politics are civilized. Cities like Yaounde and Doula are modern. The villages raise chickens, pigs, and goats. Their cattle never had Mad Cow disease. Yes, they eat grubs, and bush meat is a delicacy. Having been in Uganda and other African countries, I find it highly unlikely that AIDS came from Cameroon bushmeat. Why wasn't it more prevalent there with no drugs to fight it? It more likely came from Western labs that intentionally or un-intentionally spread it through Africa with contaminated vaccines and unsterile needles. How else do you explain all the children in Uganda with AIDS 10 or 15 years ago?

June 14, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  11. Asong Lekeaka

Anderson, I agree with Richard Ebai from above. The origin of HIV/AIDS is a disputed and extremely sensitive topic, so I would like to see supporting research and conclusive evidence that the virus originated in Cameroon, if it did. As you may have discovered, many people in Cameroon have lost loved ones to the AIDS epidemic. However, I truly commend your initiative, and for exposure that this issue needs.

Asong
    Atlanta, GA

June 14, 2008 at 5:07 pm |
  12. Ruth Akaba

As a cameroonian, am excited about the focus you are giving my country. The light you are flashing will go a long way so people can see for themselves and maybe, just maybe some good can come out of this. I will dare say the people of cameroon are very proud even in the mist of adversity they carry their head ver high.Anderson, I know you are a very objective journalist and I believe you will report the story truthfully. As a cameroonian I will love to sit down with you to talk about my country that I grew up in and that I trully love. Continue the great work you do.

June 14, 2008 at 1:25 am |
  13. kay mokake

I am outraged that Anderson Cooper should say that AIDS started in Cameroon. Is there any scientific proof to show that it originated from Africa in the first place or is this just another bout of disgracing Africans. As a Cameroonian I am shocked and angry at this report and every other cameroonian should start standing up for their country. Yes we have poverty but i don't think we are all dieing and uncivilised like the media constantly makes us out to be. There are so many beautiful African places why don't you show those for a change.

June 14, 2008 at 1:04 am |
  14. MARY JEAN FROM S.C.

Anderson, fantastic footage. Can't wait to see everything in segments and final version. Hope you and your outstanding team will stay safe and get home soon.

June 13, 2008 at 11:53 pm |
  15. Michelle from Colorado

I am looking forward to this broadcast (or its repeat). I am not sure what fascinates me more, seeing the stunning images, hearing the story unfold, or simply watching Anderson get into the environment. I think that is so cool to see a human being with such an intriguing social, intellectual and news history get on in there and "rassle" with the rest of them. You are truly an amazing journalist as well as a dynamic human being. Thank you for this series and for keeping it exciting!

June 13, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  16. Richard Ebai

Anderson I do think the documentary you are about to run this week is truely a course of mankind, but I also think you should be careful not to be conclusive regarding the issue of the origin of HIV. I strongly believe the people of Cameroon and Africa will not welcome the idea by the scientific community that HIV, the virus that causes AIDS originated from that part of the world. However, the awareness you and your team will create on the risks of dealing with jungle animals will be unmeasurable.

June 13, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  17. Jo Ann

Thanks for the additional photos! Number three is a perfect example of how the subtleties of black and white photography can beautifully reveal the texture of an object. As I said in the earlier post on Jeff's photos, I had studied Ansel Adams in college and I found it extremely interesting to read about the difficulties of field photography back in the 1930s and 1940s. I wish Jeff or Neil would blog about their work and talk about the equipment and techniques used by photographers in the field today.

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

June 13, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi. The photos of both Rwanda and Cameroon are amazing. Thanks for posting them–the uniqueness of still photography really complements your video production–even seeing only glimpses of your overall work. Have a great weekend. Stay safe!

June 13, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  19. Jo Ann

Again some wonderful work! Number three is a perfect example of how the subtleties of black and white photography can beautifully reveal the texture of an object. As I said in the earlier post on Jeff's photos, I had studied Ansel Adams in college and I found it extremely interesting to read about the difficulties of field photography back in the 1930s and 1940s. I wish Jeff or Neil would blog about their work and talk about the equipment and techniques used by photographers in the field today.

I’d be interested to know how large the original prints are. I look forward to seeing the next selection of photos!

Jo Ann
    North Royalton, Ohio

June 13, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  20. Tammy, Berwick, LA

Pictures really do paint a thousand words in the case of these photo journals from Cameroon and Rwanda. They help tell an amazing story we shouldn't ignore as a world community. Now, if only we will listen and take action..

June 13, 2008 at 9:27 pm |
  21. Annie Kate

What wonderful pictures – thanks so much for posting them. I can hardly wait to see this PIP – from the pics and the posts PIP promises to be another hit.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 13, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  22. deborah, OH

Jeff, your black & white pics are amazing. You are a real artist.

Be safe all of you–you are missed.

June 13, 2008 at 9:13 pm |
  23. anne newfoundland,canada

Those pictures are awesome.

Jeff does such a great job,I wish all of his PIP work was made available in a book.

Or,maybe they could turn up on the DVD of PIP 2.

I look forward to more blog posts from all of you,as well as more of Jeff"s photography.
    Thanks for bringing us these stories,and I am looking forward to the report tonight.

June 13, 2008 at 9:02 pm |
  24. winar, indonesia

Great pictures but the story behind it is really ironic. We should do something about it.

June 13, 2008 at 9:01 pm |
  25. Judi Smith

Coop Be careful what you eat out there in that jungle! I feel soo sad for those people. Do you tell them they should move to civilization? Do they understand when you speak to them? Sincerely, Judi Smith = Warren, Michigan p.s. Keep up the great wrok Coop, Doc, Linda and the rest!

June 13, 2008 at 8:59 pm |
  26. Karen Ohio

Jeff's images are absolutely striking. It's photographs like these that make me love black and white photography. I'm Definitely looking forward to seeing the full documentary in the Fall.

June 13, 2008 at 8:58 pm |
  27. Carol B., Virginia

Honestly, I agree with Renee that some of the photos evoke Ansel Adams or Dorthea Lange while some of the other photos have a somewhat horror film noir mood to them. I guess the machete is something out of Children Of The Corn. Nevermind...

June 13, 2008 at 8:57 pm |
  28. Renee

Great to see the work by Jeff Hutchens in B & W. He must have been schooled and/or inspired by Ansel Adams.

June 13, 2008 at 8:26 pm |
  29. Vilmarie

Happy Friday Andy, Sanjay, and Linda

Thank you for making the serious issues that are at stake very vivid and palpable to us here in NYC who are more privileged and so many miles away. "Planet in Peril" is a perfect title for we need more humanity and stirring of the conscience to bring aid to those most in need. I can't wait for your report this evening. I'll be watching closely.

You are all so brave to bring these stories to us. I'm praying for your safe return.

V.

June 13, 2008 at 8:13 pm |
  30. Rekha Joy Raman

Anderson, the first picture(1 of 8) looks like an ideal candidate for Beat 360.

June 13, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  31. Rekha Joy Raman

These black and white imagery are absolutely amazing. I've become a fan of Jeff Hutchens. And also am strongly motivated to take some photography(black and white) classes this fall.

The United Nations can step up their measures to abort this dangerous development for the "bush meat" consumers. Isn't it "black and white" obvious that this can become a pandemic in the near future in addition to the problem of global warming? The food needs of the natives need to be replenished in whatever way possible through global charity. Prevention is always better than a cure. Allowing cross-spreading(zoonotic diseases) in front of our very eyes would be the height of gross negligence. The international community should step up and ACT. Strictly quarantine the group and see that the viruses that are already embedded do not take flight across the African borders.

Great work Anderson!

June 13, 2008 at 8:06 pm |
  32. Cindy

Thanks for the cool pics. Once again gotta say they are amazing. Jeff is great at his job! It seems they are really getting some great stories. Can't wait to actually see the full documentary this fall!

Cindy...Ga.