June 13th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/13/06

Tim Russert died today of a massive heart attack. He was just 58.

Tonight on the program you’ll hear from people who respected and loved him as a colleague, a mentor, a tenacious interviewer, a father and a friend.

And rising rivers in Iowa with entire towns underwater. Thousands have been evacuated. We’ll have live reports from our correspondents in the flood zone.

Plus, Anderson is on assignment in Africa. Tonight he’s investigating disease deep in the jungle as part of our Planet in Peril series.

We want to know what you think about think so we’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, Ohio

Good night Campbell, Erica, Gary, Jana, and Anderson wherever you are. Have a great weekend.

June 13, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Renee

I wonder how Big Russ and his wife and son are holding up tonight?

June 13, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Minou, New York City

Campbell, you exude sadness tonight. My heart goes out to you.
    Good night all.

June 13, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Cindy

Great show tonight...LOVED the report from Anderson. See you all Monday. Have a great weekend Campbell.

Cindy...Ga.

June 13, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Steve Boyd

Generally, I have to say, CNN has done an absolutely terrific job at covering the tragic weather condition across much of the US. Inclusive coverage, warnings when possible, compassion and very appropriate behaviour in the presence of those suffering personal tragedies.

All humans are curious to some degree, but I think in this case, the coverage was not satisfying in specifically that way. Instead, it gave people (me for sure) the opportunity to feel compassion for those that were, and are suffering, I feel gifted in that way.
    Great job guys and gals!

June 13, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  6. David Gergen

Hello all - It is inspiring to read your comments tonight about Tim Russert. That someone so dedicated to the highest standards of journalism - and someone so dedicated to his family, family and country - could win your hearts in the way that he so clearly has gives great reassurances about the future. Tim was always an optimist and would be the most reassured of all by what you have written.

David

June 13, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  7. EJ (USA)

It is so sad watching Tim’s co-workers try to keep it together……it is so hard to do that

I know – but I'm glad that they didn't hold back. Keith O. was just crying away and Andrea looked like she'd been crying all day. My heart goes out to them.

June 13, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  8. kim-chicago

Sunday morning just won't be the same...he will be missed.

June 13, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Hannah Storm

It is so sad watching Tim's co-workers try to keep it together......it is so hard to do that

June 13, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Jo Ann, Ohio

Jana, Have you ever known Gary to be cautious? Not if it gets in the way of bringing us a report!

June 13, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Kathy, Chicago

Campbell, I didn't realize that you were so close To Tim. I am so sorry for your loss. Thanks for going on tonight.

June 13, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Jolene

Oh, I just saw the promo for Monday's PIP report! I hope the report is as exciting as the promo indicates.

June 13, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar

Lilibeth and Gary,
    I agree both of you too. you're right about that too, he was best moderating political debates.
    I don't know personally Tim well, just I only watch on tv in my life.....

June 13, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Minou, New York City

Jo Ann, I agree. It's not smart to be so close to victims of an unknown virus. If they don't know how it's transmitted, Anderson and folks should not be near the sick . Not just because they can become sick, but also because they can bring the virus back to the US....who knows what the incubation time is on some of those viruses, you know?

June 13, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, Ohio

Another excellent report by Gary! I can't believe how high that water is! I am not surprised to see that Gary's rebellious nature is giving the cops headaches.

June 13, 2008 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Denzel

Campbell its hard to watch you this evening,because I see you have just lost a close friend.We all are feeling the loss of tim,and the love of politics he brought to all of us everyday.I know you will always cheerish that Hand written note,that he wrote too your son.We will never forget him.Amen

June 13, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Jana, Indiana

I hope Gary takes percautions when he is walking in that fast moving water and stays safe.

June 13, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  18. Bindu

Being a journalism major, Tim Russert is almost god like for people like me. When I got a pop up this afternoon about the breaking news, I just could not believe what I had just read. I kept going back and forth between different websites and it has just begin to sink in and its very painful. I cannot imagine a Sunday morning without Mr. Russert on my TV. He is the true journalist they talk about in Journalism class – objective, to the point, clear, well prepared and always worked to bring the truth to light! You will live as a legend Mr. Russert. We will greatly miss you! There will never be anyone that can replace you! RIP! My thoughts and prayers are with you family! If its so difficult for people like me to whom you became family through TV, I can only imagine what must be going through them that had the honor to share their lives with you.

June 13, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Bindu

Gary, please stay away from water. You never know if there are any broken power lines in the water, and the last thing we want today is another shocker! We love you very much Gary, so please for all your viewers sake, be more sensible and get out of the water!

June 13, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  20. Jolene

Gary Tuchman, you are crazy wading in that water! But, your dedication is appreciated.

June 13, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Cindy

It is so sad that all of those people in Iowa are losing everything to the flooding. I hope it stops soon.

Gary goes anywhere doesn't he? LOL

Cindy..Ga.

June 13, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Minou, New York City

The businesses that suffer from this flood will have a rough time. What will they do?

June 13, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Cheryl Wade, Rialto, CA

At work today, before I learned of the death of Tim Russert, I was thinking about him. With Father's Day fast approaching, I always look forward to Tim's show on that day because he always acknowledged his dad and the influence his dad had on his life, but he also always, always, acknowledged his own kids and said 'I love being your dad'. Oh, my, how I will miss hearing that this Father's Day.

June 13, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, Ohio

They don't "think" this virus can be transmitted from person to person, but Anderson is standing there without gloves or a mask!

June 13, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar

Cool!!!!! I miss Anderson so much...... he is doing great!!!! excellent job in Africa...... I agree with you Jolene, I know AC really tired his trip.......

June 13, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Gary

Mike, Russert was also very good at moderating political debates. He allowed the participants to express themselves and he did so with respect.

June 13, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  27. Missy

It sounds like Anderson will still be over there next week as well? Great report. Nice to have an update.

June 13, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  28. Jack

Good evening!
    Good work on paying homage to Tim Russert...., well done and touching!
    Jack

June 13, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I didn't realize that they traced the HIV virus all the way back to the very first infection. What's still in the jungle waiting to come out?

June 13, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  30. Hannah Storm

no wonder we have not seen Anderson since Monday....he has been going all around Africa.....no time to stop

June 13, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  31. ericacnn

Lilbeth, I think many people feel that way. I never had the privilege of meeting him, but I so enjoyed watching him.

The love, admiration and respect so many share for him is a testament to the man tim russert was. what an incredible example he set for his son, and for so many others.

June 13, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  32. EJ (USA)

I just love Anderson. I think many of us started to worry (more) about him when we heard about Tim's passing today.

June 13, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, Ohio

Jana, I agree with you on both counts. This campaign season seems to be much more stressful than others and I hope that Anderson will allow some quality time for himself.

I also agree that Anderson has the potential to be considered one of the best in journalism.

June 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Cindy

That was a great report from Anderson. Can't wait to see the next on Monday!

Cindy...Ga.

June 13, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Kayle.....
    I agree with you........ I always watch tim'a show each Sunday morning... it struck me most inspires.......

June 13, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  36. Jolene

Wow, looking at the map, looks like AC and 360 crew have been jumping all over Africa. They must be exhausted.

June 13, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Susan - North Haven, CT

EJ USA – David Bloom... I cried for a week when he passed away.

I hadn't thought about Tim now knowing who wins the election! Larry King was supposed to have John Edwards on his show last night... don't know what happened. But anyway – Larry should get Edwards rebooked ASAP so Tim can channel through and tell us what's going to happen!

June 13, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  38. Lilibeth

I don't know him personally, but it feels as though I'm losing a friend. He just seemed so nice, so genuine, so humble...just a really nice guy. That's what I liked about Mr. Russert. I will truly miss him.

June 13, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Kayle

This is news that is just unbelievable. Tim was one of the most talented men of our time, struck down in his prime. It feels like Sunday morning I'll wake up, turn on the tv and he'll be there.

June 13, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar

Mike in NY,
    i agree.... never forgot him forever long time......

June 13, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Renee

If anyone is looking for a Father's Day gift this weekend, I would highly recommend both of Tim's books. They are both wonderful.

If your Dad is gone like mine, both are wonderful books to bring back good, fun memories.

June 13, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Susan - North Haven, CT

It's my understanding that Tim DID take care of himself. I heard Keith Olberman speaking earlier about Tim having passed a stress test with "flying colors" on April 29th, and had just worked out on his treadmill this morning.

I think today, for as sad it is, was God's will.

June 13, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Mary, Tooele County, Utah

I was shocked and moved to tears when I heard about Tim. He has been a role model for me both professionally and as a Catholic. It is frightening to think that such a vibrant person could go so quickly with no warning. Peace be with Tim and the family he loved so deeply.

June 13, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Jana, Indiana

Mike, You are right, there is a small group, Tim, Walter Cronkite and I think you can put Anderson in that same group that has credibility

June 13, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar

EJ USA
    I remember David Bloom so well on tv 5 years ago....... he was best reporter in the world......

June 13, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Hannah Storm

@ Tracey – your right and on the webcam when she is not on air she is just sitting still, almost reflective

June 13, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Linda, Los Angeles

My heart goes out to the Russert family. This news is just so sad and heartbreaking. He is one of the people who has made me interested in politics. Meet the Press is one of my TIVO favorites. Always curious as to what the topic of the morning will be.

He will be greatly missed.

June 13, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Steve Boyd

Erica, you are right, it is a sad day. You know, you folks have some of the hardest job on the planet. They say that it is difficult for policians during campaigns because everything they say adn do is srutinized. Well, many of you folks in the journalistic community live such a life year around in many cases days at a time with little in the way of rest. It isn't easy for politicians, and it can't be easy for any of you.

I make this point to accentuate just what a difficult job Tim had, yet how well he did it. His personal views were virtually invisible, he was a tiger, but a fair one, and he passed his expertise on to all those that he could.

The degree of professionalism and integrity he showed is matched only by the out pouring if acknowledgement he has received today.

Let's all try and believe that he has heard every word, and said, thank you, and good night.

We, the followers, have all suffered a loss today. But. let me offer my sorrow for your loss, to journalists everywhere.

Steve, Canada

June 13, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Renee

Minou, did you see the story that Tim did on "Big Russ" on NBC? They showed it again tonight and it was a real teary one.

June 13, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Hannah........
    Campbell, I know you and Tim were best friends, I hear you feel hard time lost your friend too emotion for you.....

June 13, 2008 at 10:24 pm |