June 13th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/13/06

Tim Russert died today of a massive heart attack. He was just 58.

Tonight on the program you’ll hear from people who respected and loved him as a colleague, a mentor, a tenacious interviewer, a father and a friend.

And rising rivers in Iowa with entire towns underwater. Thousands have been evacuated. We’ll have live reports from our correspondents in the flood zone.

Plus, Anderson is on assignment in Africa. Tonight he’s investigating disease deep in the jungle as part of our Planet in Peril series.

We want to know what you think about think so we’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Bren from Atlanta

My sincere condolences to the family and friends and colleagues of Mr. Russert. His honest, down-to-earth, where the rubber meets the road integrity was the hallmark of his career in broadcasting. His legacy of holding the steely truth as his banner will live long in the hearts of his comrades and especially his family. I pray for especially for his son and his father going into this Father's Day weekend. Also for those who will carry the banner of truth going forward... Anderson...I'm so thankful for men such as yourself, who will get the truth for us and present it for what it is, not matter what..."where the rubber meets the road"...for that is what Tim's legacy truly is.

June 13, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  2. Jolene

I think Tim's death is starting to hit home with most of us. Hang in their Campbell, you are doing great tonight!

June 13, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Tracey - Boston

@Hannah

You can see it in her eyes as well...looks like she is going to flow like Niagara Falls

June 13, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Minou, New York City

Oh, that makes me so sad! His father survives him! A parent should never have to live through their own child's death! How sad.

June 13, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Gary, it's a very small group. When can you listen to a reporter and have 100% confidence in what he or she says? Walter Cronkite had the same credibility.

June 13, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  6. EJ (USA)

There are no words to express the loss of Tim Russert… it’s unthinkable that this man will not be here for this year’s election.

I liked the way David Bloom's widow put it earlier - that Tim now already knows how this election will turn out – and his loved ones can find some comfort in that. Bloom's passing (due to a pulmonary embolism) 5 years ago shocked me too – not long after the war started.

June 13, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Hannah Storm

Campbell you are doing a great job, we can hear the emotion in your voice but you are keeping it together so well

June 13, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Jolene

Boy, it was hard hearing the Doctor describe what happened to Tim. He's in God's hands now.

June 13, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'm sure you could have never gotten him to slow down, as he was doing what he loved.

June 13, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  10. Gary

Mike, indeed, his impartiality was a hallmark of his journalism. I think it was because of his early training. In the old days, journalists believed in a code of ethics. They reported the news and did not create the news. Russert was excelllent at asking questions which were designed to get the information and not distort it.

June 13, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Renee

Campbell, it was nice your son received a beautiful letter from Tim upon his birth. That was a nice story on LK tonight.

June 13, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  12. tony

I echo Jana and Tracey's thoughts....I hope Anderson, Erica, Wolf, Campbell, and others are taking care of themselves, especially during this crazy and hectic campaign season.

Sunday mornings will not be the same....May Tim Russert rest in peace among the angels.

June 13, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Mike in NY....
    That's true........ really hard time to stress.... very scary for me.....

June 13, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Susan - North Haven, CT

There are no words to express the loss of Tim Russert... it's unthinkable that this man will not be here for this year's election.

I will pray for his family, his colleagues, and for all of those who knew him personally. It's so sad.

June 13, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  15. Tracey - Boston

I'm sorry...did the Dr. say the did an autopsy already or this diagnosis is based on a previous patient???

June 13, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

That's really scary, that you can have a normal stress test and then drop dead an hour later.

June 13, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  17. Ken in NC

Good evening Campbell. I am deeply saddened at the death of Tim Russert. Tonight will be another of sad news but I'm sure he would want all to go on as he did each and every day. I watched Meet The Press almost every Sunday . He will be missed. Our prayers are with you all and with his family in this time of loss.

June 13, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse, NY

He showed an impartiality that seems to be hard to find these days. I didn't realize his earlier political background until all the coverage today.

June 13, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Renee

TR – Another wonderful man who left two books. Makes you want to get writing more down on paper.

June 13, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar

Hi Erica,
    I agree, that is so sad day for us...... we will never forget him forever again.

June 13, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Karen Ohio

I heard about Tim's passing on the radio on the way home from work and couldn't believe it. I watched your show earlier Campbell and was moved by moved by your words at the end. He must have been a wonderful person to have known. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

June 13, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, Ohio

"Big Russ" was a wonderful book! It truly revealed Tim to be not only a dedicated journalist and a loving family man, but also someone who remembered his working class roots and never thought himself to be above others. He was an extremely decent human being.

June 13, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  23. Hannah Storm

Hey Erica.....indeed a sad day.

Did you ever have an opportunity to meet Tim out and about in the media circles?

June 13, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar

Joe,
    You're so lucky today........ you met Tim at golf place...... that is so great!

June 13, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Jolene

Nice story, Wolf, about you and Tim meeting the Pope. I would probably act like a kid if I ever got the chance to meet the Pope too!

June 13, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  26. Jana, Indiana

Tracy, I too, have been thinking of Anderson and his hectic schedule today and the way he and others don't slow down. Life is to short for all of us.

Campbell I saw your piece at the end of your show. You did a great job in telling your feelings about Tim.

June 13, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Cindy

@ Tracey-Boston..I thought the same thing. Anderson needs to take time off big time before his working too much takes its toll on him.

Cindy...Ga.

June 13, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  28. ericacnn

hi, everyone - thanks for blogging tonight.
    it is a very sad day.

June 13, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar

Can I ask a question for doctor? is really massive heart attack really fatal?

June 13, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Hannah Storm

I heard on one of the networks that Tim got to meet with the Pope while in Rome this week.....as someone who so loved their religion it is nice it got to do that again before today

June 13, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Steve Boyd

Campbell, if this is not published, I hope, at least you will read it. I haven’t always agreed with the way that you present things, but I must say, that [your final comments on the Election Center] was absolutely breath taking, and heartbreaking at the same time.

I know that you had to dig very deep to get those words out, it was visibly hard, but you got it done. Your message was clearly stated and vastly received. From a journalistic perspective, you really humanized yourself tonight, and also showed how well Tim Russett taught you.

He was obviously a mentor, a friend and a trusted colleague of yours and many others. Everything you said was from the heart, and left me speechless. You should be proud of yourself, as I am sure Tim is.

Farewell to a Great Journalist, and a Greater Man.

Steve, A Sad Canadian Tonight.

June 13, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  32. Joe Klimchak

Ten years ago, while in my late twenties, I met Tim at a golf course while vacationing in Nantucket. I approached him to let him know how much I appreciated and admired his work and added that I had met him previously at the 1994 All Star Game in Pittsburgh. His face lit up and he began talking to me with such an openess and interest you would have thought that I was the celebrity. Never before have I met anyone as kind, professional, engaging and grounded as Tim Russert. His family is in my prayers.

June 13, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Tracey - Boston

Listening to Ted Koppel talking about Mr. Russert's schedule...I thought of Anderson and his lack of being about to relax. it is bothersome.

June 13, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Jolene

Tim was a big Notre Dame fan too. He would often visit South Bend, IN and go to their games. Very committed to his religion also.

June 13, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Kathy, Chicago

I only started to watch Mr Russert during these Democratic Primaries. I enjoyed channel surfing Sunday mornings and looked forward to his guests, questions and integrity. He always presented things a different way, but always an honest way. he has been taken in the prime of his life and will truely be missed.

June 13, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar,

Yes, I do I like him as more Anderson........ Sara......

June 13, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Hannah Storm

It is amazing that with all the work Tim and Wolf did they had time to go to Wizards games......so many great stories and memories of Tim have been shared tonight

June 13, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Tracey - Boston

Campbell,

Your composure is outstanding...

June 13, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, Ohio

Campbell, Your tribute to Tim Russert was beautiful! He was a truly gifted and dedicated journalist! Those of us from the Cleveland area were always proud to know that Tim attended John Carroll University here. He can never be replaced.

June 13, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Gary

Tim Russert was a fair journalist. He came from the Democrat party but unlike others he was able to put aside his politics and be a true journalist. He will be missed.

June 13, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar,

My hearts go to Tim Russert's family and NBC crew............Thanks Cnn doing great job to remembering him....

June 13, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. EJ (USA)

It would be interesting to hear what many other reporters think on the workaholic aspect of this story. I wonder how they handle that intense type of stress and the few hours of sleep – especially in an election year like this one.

June 13, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  43. sara. .minneapolis

Megan, you liked him more than Anderson?!

Seriously though, it's so surprising and sad that Tim passed away so suddendly like this. I'll always remember him with that whiteboard that crazy night in 2000.

June 13, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Jolene

Campbell, I too watched the end of your program tonight and your tribute Tim Russert . I would have sent your show an email but I couldn’t find a link. Tim writing a letter to your newborn son was very touching to me. Your words brought tears to my eye. I’m sure you will treasure that letter forever. Thanks for sharing.

June 13, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

Campbell, at the end of your show, you brought tears to my eyes.
    My deepest condolences to you and to everyone who knew him and loved him.
    What a loss.

June 13, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Cindy

Hey Campbell...glad you are back.

It is so extremely sad to hear of Tim's passing. He was a great journalists and a great man. He'll be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Cindy...Ga.

June 13, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar,

Hello Campbell, Erica, and Bloggers!!
    I am so sad and shocked Tim Russert pass away tonight, He was my favorite anchor.........

June 13, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Jolene

Hi bloggers! Such a depressing day. Tim Russert was truly respected in the business and will be missed by all. CNN has been doing an excellent job remembering him.

June 13, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Hannah Storm

The sudden passing of Tim Russert is just shocking. I was watching CNN.com LIVE at work when the news broke and I literally said Oh my god. Although I was not a regular viewer of Meet the Press, I knew who Tim was and respected him for his work. He truly was a huge voice in political news and he will be greatly missed.

My thoughts and prayers go to Maureen, Luke and Big Russ along with the entire Russert family.

June 13, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Missy

Campbell, your tribute to Tim Russert at the end of your program this evening was very touching. Thank you. What a great loss this is.

June 13, 2008 at 10:00 pm |