June 12th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/12/06

Another night of breaking news. Another night of tornadoes across several midwestern states. Also, flooding that's pushed thousands of people out of their homes. It may be the worst in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and AC360's Gary Tuchman is there.

Much more tonight, including the boy scouts who trained to save lives and did, even as other scouts lost theirs.

Also, making Michelle Obama an issue in the campaign against her husband. Are political spouses ever fair game?

And a CNN exclusive, tapes and documents from inside al Qaeda in iraq documenting its rise and thankfully, its fall. Michael Ware has them and we'll check in with him in Baghdad.

We want to know what you think about think so we'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. Tonight you'll see Campbell Brown and Erica Hill behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dee F.

I think both candidates have strong wives and either wife would make an excellent first lady.
    Let us concentrate on the issues: recession, home mortgages, oil, natural disasters, war......

June 12, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Lou

attacking Michelle will not do any of those things however it does divert attention from the real issues

June 12, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

Hannah, I think the weather is epic as well. Michelle Obama seems sophisticated and thoughtful to me. John King is right the media can't just rush whatever onto the air. On the other hand it does expose some of the rumor mongering that goes on and that maybe helps voters identify things as rumors that otherwise they might not.

June 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Catherine

Michelle Obama said "for the first time in her life she's REALLY proud" ... why is everyone omitting the word REALLY? It makes a big difference. Even Laura Bush said that she understood that Michelle was saying that she was PROUDER ... not that she never had been proud before. Seems like Republicans just don't want to talk about the REAL problems this country is facing.

June 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Minou, New York City

"there's a difference between 'smear' and 'fair game' ". Amen, John King!

June 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Gary

I find it interesting that democrats attacked Obama personally during the Primary...now that the general election is underway it is those evil Republicans.....give me a break!

June 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar

Kim-Chicago,
    I agree with you too.... not issue racist at all.

June 12, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  8. deann

My hope is that the Republicans continue these personal attacks – reminds me of the mistakes the republicans made in the 90s when they went after Clinton – Republicans seem to forget that its the economy stupid!!

June 12, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Shannon

I want to know how attacking Michelle Obama is going to lower gas prices, bring our children home from Iraq, pay for education, and control inflation.

June 12, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Ed

This tragedy of weather, floods, fire and unfinished past cleanup (Katrina, etc) is happening to ALL of US, even if we are not IN the AREAS.

I pray that OUR Country puts these repairs, rebuilding and issues in the top most priorities.

June 12, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Gary

Shannon: I have never heard Senator McCain attack Obama personally. In fact, I have heard him challenge other Republicans who have done so.

June 12, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  12. deann

One has to appreciate that the Obama campaign has never sunk to levels previous campaigns have – I think the American public appreciates this.

June 12, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  13. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Jo Ann, I agree with you. Name calling does nothing to move a true conversation to any new level.

June 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar

I also agree with John King what he said to the viewers.

June 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  15. kim-chicago

Race is not an issue??? Do you think anyone would ever refer to Cindy McCain as a baby mama? Of course not!

June 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  16. Missy

I agree, Michelle Obama has a lot of class, smart, knows herself. She and her husband seem to have a very strong marriage.

June 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  17. deann

How is someone's wife an issue in this election?

June 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar

Yeah Dee,
    I agree with you, I don't like her comment baby mama. she is not respect other people.

June 12, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Jolene

So will that Fox Producer get fired for the Obama "Baby Mama" controversy or just get smacked on the wrist for bad judgment? Hmmm.

June 12, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Shannon

The difference between McCain and Obama is that Obama will NEVER attack McCain on personal things. He would never allow his campaign or the DNC to go after Cindy McCain.

June 12, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Theresa

Fox is just a bunch of hate!! She is fair game I agree, however, these racially charged smears just show how desperate the GOP is ...and will continue to be in this election.

June 12, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  22. diane

They go after Michelle Obama and I will personally go off on them.
    I will show them what a french temper is all about.
    Michelle is a wonderful, classy woman and does not deserve the dirt of the gop and their slime.
    There will be alot of howling on the left if they go after her. The left is already angry and ready to go at them if they don't watch it.

June 12, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  23. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

I really agree with John King. The media has to raise the bar on this election. Gossip isn't news, no matter who the canddiate is.

June 12, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Hannah Storm

I absolutely agree with what John King just said

June 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Shannon

Fox News is racist and has no class. I am glad CNN is not like this! You operate a fair and balanced news organization

June 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, Ohio

People who resort to name calling have nothing substantive to say. That includes using terms like Billary and calling voters "rednecks," but most people didn't have a problem with any of that.

June 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Charles, Co

Good to see John King........and he is right about what to talk about and not to talk about.

June 12, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Missy

One of these women will be the First Lady and privy to a lot of high level information and decisions. A certain amount of scrutiny is to be expected.

June 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Dee, Cindy McCain has come out in public about her past dependence on pain killers.

June 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  30. MaryBeth

I agree with Cindy from GA...if she says something while on campaign...those comments are fair game...but her personal life should be off limits.

June 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Lou

I am glad that the Obama's are fighting back, and I agree that Cindy McCains issues are fair game too...

June 12, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar

Oh boy! I never seen Michelle Obama pick on people, I thought she must have fair game...........

June 12, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Charles, Co

On one level, Barak Obama is right....the baby mama line is just wrong. However, when she discusses policy, then those statements are open for criticism....

June 12, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Gary

If Obama's wife is going to express her opinions I don't see why others have to agree with her or not comment.

June 12, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Dee

No candidate's wife is fair game.
    'Baby Mama' was extremely DISRESPECTFUL and as usual it came from Fox news.
    Do they still use the tag line FAIR AND BALANCED???
    I don't think I have ever seen a candidate's wife attacked like this, EVER.

June 12, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Katt in FL

I agree, if Michelle puts herself out there then she has to roll with the punches. But I do agree that it is getting too nitt-picking and it's sooo early in the race to be this way. I will be totally tired of the "small stuff" in the months to come.
    Let's blow away the smoke screen and talk about the issues, otherwise, we won't "change" at all, no matter who's promising what.

June 12, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Susan - North Haven, CT

If Michelle Obama chooses to put herself out there to get her husband elected, she is absolutely a fair target in the game of controversy.
    For her to think otherwise is very naive on her part, and on Barack's – just one more example of his inexperience. He does not get to "have his cake and eat it too" on this one.

June 12, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Mike

I believe those young Boy Scouts for their heroic deed should receive the highest civilian medal from President Bush.

June 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  39. kim-chicago

Way to go Obama camp...these people need to be held accountable for these smears...everyone knows this is just the beginning...it's pathetic!
    Of course they are going to take on Michelle...they have little else!

June 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Hannah Storm

Fox News is so stupid....between the "terrorist fist jabs" and "Obama's baby mama"............I am so glad I don't get Fox

June 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  41. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I agree that if a candidates spouse is out campaigning, she is fair game. Michelle Obama's comment certainly qualifies as something you can attack.

June 12, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  42. Cindy

If Michelle is out stumping then she is very fair game.

Cindy...Ga.

June 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  43. Charles, Co

Those attacks that focus on ethinic differences are just bad......

June 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Dee Clements

Then, Cindy McCain and her drug problems are fair game too!!!

June 12, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  45. MaryBeth

They need all this rain in CA!! They are in drought conditions plus all those wildfires.

It's amazing those boys kept their heads and put all their training to good use. They are to be commended on their bravery and heroism and quick-thinking.

June 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  46. La Mar Mn

I lived in Iowa City IA and Cedar Rapids IA the majority of my life recently moved to MN many family members still there including my daughter, my heart goes out to my family as well as others who are dealing with the devastation, and to the families of the brave boyscouts .

June 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Charles, Co

I agree with the idea that if a candidate's wife campaigns and discusses issues, then those comments, words and intentions are open..............but the attacks that are out there now are not related to anything she has actually said

June 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Gary

Robert: Respect for all people, women and men, regardless of their political persuasion should be a goal for us all.

June 12, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Kae

I am from Iowa but live north of the rivers that are flooding. We've had alot of rain and tornado weather close to us last week. My daughter lives in Cedar Rapids on the NE side so has not had to evacuate. But it has been raining there all day. Heavy, heavy rain. It's pretty hilly in her neighborhood and the water rushes down the streets like they are rivers and pools at the bottom of the hills. It is a terrible tragedy.

June 12, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar

@ Michelle Odgen,
    my thoughts and prayer with you in Kansas tonight......... I am praying for your whole state.

June 12, 2008 at 10:19 pm |