June 12th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/12/06

Another night of breaking news. Another night of tornadoes across several midwestern states. Also, flooding that's pushed thousands of people out of their homes. It may be the worst in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and AC360's Gary Tuchman is there.

Much more tonight, including the boy scouts who trained to save lives and did, even as other scouts lost theirs.

Also, making Michelle Obama an issue in the campaign against her husband. Are political spouses ever fair game?

And a CNN exclusive, tapes and documents from inside al Qaeda in iraq documenting its rise and thankfully, its fall. Michael Ware has them and we'll check in with him in Baghdad.

We want to know what you think about think so we'll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. Tonight you'll see Campbell Brown and Erica Hill behind the scenes on the set. We'll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Good Thursday evening...cell phones pop, popcorn! Believe it or not...night all

June 12, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, Ohio

Good night everyone!

June 12, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar

Good night Campbell, Erica, and Bloggers!
    Have a good night, Sleep tight!!!!! 🙂
    Congrats Lorie Ann on beat 360!!!!! See you later!!!!
    ( I hope Anderson Cooper will doing fine too)

June 12, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, Ohio

I often wonder how these journalists survive mentally and physically being in a war zone. They have my deepest respect.

June 12, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Jolene

Interesting fact about the Sea Dragon! Now I'm going to attempt to pop some popcorn with my cell phone! Nite all!

June 12, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Dan

I live in Des Moines and spent the day filling sandbags with people of all ages and shades. Thankfully we have not seen the devestation they have seen in Cedar Rapids but we expect record flood crests here tomorrow and Sunday. I can attest that our sense of comunnity here in Iowa combined with competent and strong government leadership at the local, county, and state levels has positioned us to deal with this catastrophe as best as humanly possible. I'm proud of my state.

June 12, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Anne Petersen, Palm Desert, CA

Nice show everyone...

June 12, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Hannah Storm

great show, great blog conversation

have a great Friday everyone!!!!!

June 12, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  9. Nancy in Oregon

Not just torturing animals but laughing at it and filming it....scary. I hope the family members of that guy watch their backs.

June 12, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Gary

Seadragon sex....hmmmm....that is a refreshingly different report.

June 12, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Missy

Thanks, Campbell.

June 12, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  12. CaseyJPS - California

The picture of the puppy just turned my stomach inside out.

June 12, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Lou

Good night all.

June 12, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Cindy

Well Night Campbell and all...great show! Have a great night and I'll see ya tomorrow!

Cindy..Ga.

June 12, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Karen--Leesburg, VA

They threw that soldier out of the Corps? Good! I do believe it's called "conduct unbecoming." What's more, it is documented that one of the first signs that you are loosing your moral compass is torturing helpless animals. Our soldiers have enough trouble in Iraq already without letting a developing psycho go.

June 12, 2008 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Charles, Co

Good night everyone. As usual, very good stuff.

June 12, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Susan - North Haven, CT

No way did this guy jump! Why was he ever allowed to drive himself to jail, anyway?!

June 12, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar

I am glad that he kicked out of Marines, who throw so cute puppy on the ground, That's so horrible tragedy for puppy who hurt.......

June 12, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Cindy

Samuel faked his death for sure! He is probably in another country by now.

Cindy...Ga.

June 12, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Michael, NC

Missy-
    too true. He shows the world exactly what is going on there, and I appreciate his honesty to the public.

June 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Charles, Co

With that much money available to him, I am not sure that he is not quietly living somewhere..........

June 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Hannah Storm

@ Catherine – Arwa Damon does alot of reports during other CNN programs and Kyra Phillips was just there for a month......but Michael is the man when it comes to Iraq

June 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  23. ericacnn

Anne, that's a great point about reporting the story - not the reporter

June 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  24. kim-chicago

Those poor people of Iraq...children watching that brutality...what a mess!

June 12, 2008 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Missy

You will always get the truth from Mick. He doesn't tell you what you want to hear but like it is.

June 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

I don't think of Michael Ware as objective, myself....but yep, he lays a lot out there!

June 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar

Thanks, Michael Ware.....
    Thanks for information from Iraq......

June 12, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  28. Jolene

Oh no, not the tape of the helpless puppy! That just makes me sick to my stomach. Harming innocent beings, whether human or animal, is just wrong.

June 12, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Catherine

Michael Ware seems to be the only one reporting the news in Iraq. How come there aren't more reporters and more daily reports? I wish we'd get more actual information. Ask the people you know when the last time they saw live footage from Iraq on TV and they'll probably have to think about it. And I don't mean the footage of some politician walking around with tons of security.

June 12, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Charles, Co

Ware really lays it out as it is........he is incredibly objective.

June 12, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Larry

Is Michelle Obama's thesis fair game for discussion?

I thought it was brave of Roland to throw some of the smears back on the democrats.

With the dems in control of the senate & Congress, can't they just refuse to keep funding the war?

June 12, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  32. Cindy

Mic's report was great! He always tells us how it is no matter what the others are saying. Gotta love that!

Cindy...Ga.

June 12, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar

that is so sad for people who killed!!!! I don't understand this why Militlia have to shoot people without help???

June 12, 2008 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Ron In Texas.

Erica,
    I am glad someone finally said it like it is. I commend you for expressing a honest and correct opinion.

June 12, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  35. Charles, Co

Michael Ware being Australian gives him some objectivity in regards to the Iraq situation........and he does have an incredible quantity and quality of contacts in Iraq.............

June 12, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  36. Mark

Go to fight the smears website and see the lies hate-mongers spread about the Obamas. People are too ready to believe any rumor or urban legend spread about anybody. The web site is a great idea – should have been thought of years ago. Leave it to someone as bright as Obama to think of it. He's the new Robert Kennedy and the last best hope for this cynical country.

June 12, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  37. Minou, New York City

I'm glad that people turned against them after witnessing and hearing of the public executions. It shows that despite of all the violence they have had to endure, they're still not numb. They care for human life!

June 12, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  38. Anne Petersen, Palm Desert, CA

Erica, you are right on the money when you speak of "the media." My boyfriend is a news reporter and he says, for him, it's about two things. One, being a journalist is about finding the truth for a higher purpose. The other, is making a news story more about the story than about himself. Some people who are reporters forget that the pictures and sound tell the story so much better than we can.

June 12, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar

Oh my gosh,
    that is so distrubing to me!!!!!!! that is so awful to kill people.......

June 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  40. Charles, Co

That is why al Qaeda Iraq has turned Sunni Iraqi's against them.......

June 12, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Jolene

Well, for a small period, we were hearing the candidates talking about the issues, not it's smears and rumors. I'm waiting for the presidential debates. What is said during those is what will have meaning to me.

June 12, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Hannah Storm

Michael Ware has so many connection in Iraq.....this piece is very interesting

June 12, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  43. ericacnn

John makes a great point about the blurring of lines in this campaign.

It's also interesting what many people see as "the media" nowadays – it's no longer made up of just objective journalists, but for many people "the media" also includes commentators, bloggers and some very opinionated folks. This blurs people's perception of what is "news" and "reporting" these days.

June 12, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  44. Catherine

Whatever happened to the Golden Rule? Is this how you'd like your family to be treated?

June 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Charles, Co

I have to agree with Roland Martin, the Democrats opened the door on some of this stuff. Reagan at least had justification for the phrase "Thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow Republican". It cannot be used against you later....................

June 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Missy

I would like to hear more of a discussion on how Obama and McCain will address the problems facing us today – unemployment, gas prices, and so on.

June 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |