June 9th, 2008

On My Second Cup Of Coffee, Still Can't Face The Day

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/09/art.hillarykiss.jpg caption="Sen. Hillary Clinton gets a kiss from Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones during a rally in Washington on June 7, where she suspended her campaign for president."]
Program note: watch Candy Crowley’s story on Sen. Hillary Clinton, her women supporters and history on Monday’s AC360° at 10p ET.

Candy Crowley
CNN Senior Political Correspondent

I’m in withdrawal. I leapt out of bed twice last night thinking I was about to miss the plane. I woke up this morning and didn’t recognize my bedroom. My re-inherited cat seems really really annoyed I’m in his house and when I tried to get into my office computer the following message appeared:

Would you like to set your home page to "Cannot Find Server”?

Something about that appeals to me. I’m thinking of saying yes.

So, here we are. It’s over. (or starting, but today I prefer to think of it as over) He’s campaigning in North Carolina/Missouri. McCain is fundraising. She is vacationing. Her voters are either angry, resigned, defiant or in denial. Multi-stages of grief. They will not feel the same in November. Some still won’t vote for him but they won’t feel the same.

The funny thing is that most Clinton voters I talk to don’t seem that angry with Obama. They’re upset she lost and they don’t think she got a fair shake in the media. Neither are they crazy about the Democratic Party hierarchy.

And yes, I think there was sexism but don’t think it’s why she lost. And neither does her campaign.

Obama folks could not have asked for anything more out of the concession speech. She got his name out there 14 times in half an hour. She was game. She really was. Even though I kept thinking..”she’d probably rather be chewing glass”.

I’m sorry blogees to be short and subpar today, but it’s 99 degrees or something here and my head is fogged up.

I wanted to do an ode to politicians. Maybe next week.

I’m leaving you for the rest of this one.

really big drum roll….

Heading for Texas this weekend. Big big doins. Two showers for first-born’s bride to be. Happy Trails.

Did I mention the nuptials are two days after the democratic convention and two days before the republican convention?.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Candy Crowley • Hillary Clinton • John McCain • Raw Politics
  1. Dee

I just came from John McCain blog. I think it's a lot of confusion over there. The "Hard Wright" is clashing with "Hillarycrats". Hillary Clinton stance on issue are far different from John McCain. McCain's blogger are complaining that the site is not conservative enough. I think Hillary supporter are just mad and need space.

June 10, 2008 at 1:34 am |
  2. Female, 30, disappointed

Candy
    you predict "some still won’t vote for him but they won’t feel the same."
    That's true. I might not feel the same, but my mind will continue wondering what is it that pro-Obama folks see in Obama that I am missing. I just see big "O"
    Basically, as you said, Clinton people like Clinton because she is smart.
    Obama people are just hopeless gamblers who want some change and hope, without actually knowing what they want or how to get there. He will continue flipping.
    No, I don't wish for Obama to stumble. However, I think that he is not as strong as he seems to be when things go his way. He is lucky if Hillary agrees to be his VP.

June 10, 2008 at 1:24 am |
  3. Lenworth

I want to know why Senator Mccain is talking about the economy when he adamantly states that he does not know much about economy.
    I really believes that if Senator Mccain wins the presidency he will continue on Presidently Bush's 4th term and further ruin the country.

June 10, 2008 at 1:18 am |
  4. Judy

TOJoan B and BJ

I completely agree with you both. We all need to unite to make sure our vote (or lack of) makes a difference in November...

June 10, 2008 at 12:29 am |
  5. Kathy, Andover

I know everyone remembers what happened, when people voted for Ralph Nader, to teach the Democrats a lesson. To the Hillary supportors seriously thinking about not voting or voting for McCain this time . . . just remember the lesson learned for those who voted for Ralph Rader. Is it really worth it?

June 10, 2008 at 12:16 am |
  6. kathleen

Why is it that Obama's good enough to be on the ticket with now but when asked months ago about his ability to be commander in chief Hillary said he' not ready not enough expierience yadda, yadda and now she can't wait to accept his offer , I hope she's waiting a long time. There might be a place somewhere but I hope it's not a VP

June 10, 2008 at 12:15 am |
  7. Mark

Shame on tacky Obama the race hater. For weeks Cnn news and tacky Obama have been trashing the clinton's name pulling them throw the mud. Mrs. Clinton is a Lady and can rest now, she earn it the hard way. For Obama and Cnn news now they started to rag and trash the McCain family. Have they no shame or hearts, how unGodly can Obama be???

June 10, 2008 at 12:14 am |
  8. Toni T.

Candy CNN as a whole !!
    You all / the DNC & the Obama camp ,'DON'T GET THE CLINTON
    SUPPORTERS AT ALL!!
    1- Please tell David Gergen, "NO MORE OBAMA SPEECHES"!!
    We "begged" during the primaries to STOP & TALK "WITH "US NOT AT "US"!! Hillary has spoiled us with her "depth & breath" of the issues. You can't just "SPEECH" us to believe otherwise!
    2- If he had met "challenges" head on ,he would have gained my respect.
    Un-fortunately he did'nt do that. I vowed in my letters to SD's & the DNC :"after he & them "threw Hillary under the bus" was/is too late for me!!
    "I'll take my cue from Michelle Obama, " I can't commit right now". Or something like that.

June 9, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  9. Pat

BJ, are you in TX?

I will never support Obama...No matter what the media...DNC, or Super Dummies say...I will never again be part of such a discomboobulation! I will register Independent and write in Hillary. You all can slam her from now, force her to cry wolf...bend over and smile...but you can't take her 18 million votes away. Unite Hillary supporters...Write in Hillary Rodham Clinton. Give your vote a voice every one will pay attention to. We'll elect her, and then she can pick her VP...Who cares who that would be? She doesn't even need one...she's got Bill. How much more capable of filling her shoes could that be? Get the most bang for your vote...Write in Hillary!

June 9, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  10. Jackie

If I were Hillary I'd be on vacation all of June & July. Let B.O. swim with the sharks alone. Maybe without her to bash, the media will start to notice what an "empty suit" he is.

Once again, a much more qualified woman loses out in favor of a much less qualified man.

June 9, 2008 at 11:42 pm |
  11. Randy F.

The MEDIA (CNN and FOX NEWS) is the race problem , leave it alone and leave it up to the AMERICAN people!!!

June 9, 2008 at 11:34 pm |
  12. M.C.

For many Hillary supporters, the general election is over. If Hillary can still somehow be the nominee, we would be thrilled. If not, then we know McCain will win. All of you pundits who trashed Hillary, might as well look for other jobs. I don't watch MSNBC anymore, and I only watch Blitzer and Anderson and Candy when you comment.

June 9, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  13. Marla OK

If it was up to me, the Clintons and their supporters would not be supporting a socialist named Obama. He did not tell the truth about his father, his grandmother, associations with Rezko, Ayers, Sinclair and other very left wing thugs. The DNC made very sure that their puppet Obama was elected, one way or another.
    Senator Obama is a empty suit.

June 9, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  14. Duff Crary

I'm curious: were you, Candy Crowley, on Senator Clinton's "short list" for White House Press Secretary, had she won the Democratic presidential nomination and then won the November General Election?

June 9, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  15. EJ (USA)

Candy – you absolutely rock. I would want to go away on a long relaxing vacation if I were you. I doubt if I could keep up with that campaign for 1 day much less 6 months.

Congratulations to you and your kids on the upcoming wedding!

LOL, many were thinking that. She did well. The only thing better would've been her making that exact same speech on Tuesday. Then I'd bet there would be a much higher chance we would be hearing "Vice President Hillary Clinton" (and I would have no doubt that she would go on to be President in 8 years.)

June 9, 2008 at 11:23 pm |
  16. Linda

Glad you're getting a break and some additional hours of sleep. Kudos to you for your fantastic reporting along the campaign trail. Looking forward to more!

June 9, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  17. Karen

According to the media and the Obama supporters, only old white women voted for Senator Clinton. Gosh–there must be a LOT of us, then.

I was truly disgusted to listen to the panel (all men) tonight on CNN stating that there is no glass ceiling while the offensive Roland and another black panelist told us how difficult it is to be black in corporate America. If we can't mention gender, why do they always–always–gravitate to race? Must we be reminded constantly of it? Just to insure we do the right thing and vote for their candidate lest we be labeled racist? Not going to happen.

David Gergen annoys me no end. Why can men who have lost the nomination in the past take four months to endorse the winner but Hillary was unconscionable for waiting four days?

This whole thing has been a travesty and no, we won't 'get over it and come around'. I didn't vote for Hillary because she's a woman–I voted for her because she always had a sensible answer for every question.

I lost all respect for Obama when he refused to debate one-on-one no moderators (and no teleprompters). What is he afraid of? Well, I think we know the answer to that one.

You keep your delegates, Hillary. They just may come in handy.

June 9, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  18. Maggie C

Candy,

I always enjoy your posts so much because you get in there, work your tail off, then lay all the cards on the table. But you do it ,oh, so gracefully and you do it with humor.

I never doubt anything you tell me, you've always been truthful, even if it isn't what I want to hear! One of CNN's "brightest stars"!!

Thanks,
    Maggie C

June 9, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  19. Diane

This is such a shame; I did not think it would take this kind of toll. I imagine I would have felt the same way if my candidate lost, but not to the extent of jumping out of a window and throwing away my future. I may love my candidate, but I love me best, and I would never let my disappointment in anything cause me to do harm to myself or my country. I'm confident Hillary's supporters will come around. Have a stiff drink or go on vacation and forget the campaign for a while. You'll feel better. She was a formidable opponent. The race could not have been closer. Keep in mind the primary was not or should not have been about race or sex, it was a primary of strategies to win votes and delegates. Let's face it; it could have gone either way. They were both great and exciting to watch. American women are resilient and don't do dumb stuff. To do so will only cause men to say, we can’t take the heat and we can't think and act logically, but are emotional and irresponsible and that would make Hillary and any female running in the future look bad. Do the right thing for Hillary's sake. Your future depends on it. Please, don't be a Michael Jackson, and cut off your nose to spite your face by not voting or voting for McCain.

June 9, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  20. esbee c.

.............in a land far, far, away...........maybe it was....uh Canada. Take a deep breath Gary, really it is okay.

June 9, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  21. Michael Fadulu

B4 you vote for Mccain why don’t you google up some information about how Mccain dumped his former wife (who was injured in a motor vehicle accident) for the rich barbie he has now? The women who keep saying they would vote for Mccain should really educate themselves as to what a "hero" he really is b4 they vote for him! This dude would sell us all out to the big guns (companies) in the blink of an eye!
    Furthermore you DO NOT become a hero by getting shot down by the enemy...you become a hero by shooting down the enemy!

June 9, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  22. BJ

To Joan B. I could not agree more with everything you said...but to add another issue: The Media. If CNN and MSNBC truely want Obama to win, maybe they should quite bashing Clinton...several days after she is out of the race, they continue with the propaganda. Those 18 million supporters become more resolute everytime they are reminded that these networks were clearly in Obama's pocket.

One last thing: Each time one of your pundits predicts that those 18 million supporters will "come around" by Nov., I want to throw up! Clinton can make her decision....but I have enough sense to evaluate Obama for myself. I know something about Chicago politics and the people that climb through those slimy ranks.

June 9, 2008 at 11:01 pm |
  23. esbee c.

True Democrat???

I love this. Folks-for the record-historically--Democrats are known for infighting. It has gone on for as long as anyone can remember.

That is what a True Democrat does!! Then you come back together and vote for the Democrat.

June 9, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  24. Gary Chandler in Canada

esee
    Once upon a time...
    ... Ickes multiplied 128 times 55% added, hijacked, the other candidates delegates in MI and came up with FALSE count of 73, which blind followers are still crying about.
    (128 times 55% is actually 70! Hillary did NOT get 57% in MI!)

Now that's a fairy tale!

June 9, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  25. Larry

Candy, if it was no big deal to the media when some guy held up a sign at a Hillary event that read 'Iron my shirt', can you imagine a guy holding up a sign at an Obama rally reading 'Pick my cotton'

Gender is not considered an issue, racism is.

We need more women of color to stand up for their fellow sisters of all colors.

June 9, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  26. Cecil Jones

As one of the many people you were kind enough to speak with on the road, I thank you for listening. Never underestimate the power of anyone in America. If someone tells you they are something unbelievable, why not believe? Hillary was not "Inevitable." Obama hasn't won yet either. McCain lost control of his main campaign issue. Remember, I told you my role. Do you remember me from Las Vegas? I remember, you smiled.

June 9, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  27. Annette, Washington, DC

Life goes on...to add to Hillary's note, don't get stuck in the past, the past is over. There is much work to do in the present. This was a long hard fight, what Hillary accomplished had to be done, to get us were we are today. I hope this has made her not just a better politician but a better person on the inside.

June 9, 2008 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Sharon from Indy

Candy:
    Remember to breathe.

June 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Philip, Bangkok

A couple of days ago David was asked whether Bill Clinton was a help or a hindrance to Hillary's campaign. He replied that he was more of a help than a hindrance. Had he been able to say that Bill was a tremendous help, might she have won the nomination?

June 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  30. esbee c.

Gary----in Canada?????????

I want to tell you a story.

Once upon a time......

June 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Breaker

To Mary:

You got it completely wrong. Obama is more trustworthy then Hillary Clinton or John McSame.
    Anyone voting republican does not understand where america is heading too for the last 7 1/2 years.

Get over it and be a true democrat.

Hillary will be in Obamas administration and that is ok with me.

June 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Rickey,TN

Please let's talking about Obama and women voters as if to say he has a problem with all women. The truth is these older white women have a problem with Obama. As Hillary said her white voters might not vote for him. Truthfully, is there anything he can do to win their vote.

Will have to wait and see!!!

June 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Joan B.

I'm not angry now I'm set in concrete. I will not vote for BO in Nov. I't has nothing to do with BO or the fact that Hillary lost. It has to do with the way the press treated her. The way the DNC treated FL and MI. The way the DNC divided the votes from FL and MI. The way the DNC took votes she won and gave them to BO.

June 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  34. Ruby

Candy, I always love your reporting. I will say this the "Democrat Party" out did them selfs.. just like Jack it out ugly.. all the insiders.. I just don't want to call my self a demo., any more besides that's why "Nader" is running too. Candy you take it easy.

June 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  35. Shannon

Raising tax is a tired Republican cry, it won't work this time. Look what Bush's tax cuts have done for us the past 8 years. The 4 trillion dollars of debt he ran up. The 12 billion we are sending to Iraq. The housing crisis collopsing. The Republicans are going to have to try another new tactic if they think they can cry about Obama raising taxes on those making more than 250K a year and we are going to care. It is time for the Democrats to take back the White House and balance the budget.

June 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Shannon

I love that Obama is going to campaign using a 50 state strategy! Living in a non-battleground state it has always bothered me that my voice was drowned out by a few "bigger" states.

June 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Cynthia

Congrats Candy on your son's upcoming wedding. Sounds like you are going to be extra busy with all the goings on personal and professional.

We have to hope that as a Party we can all come together and get the Republicans out of the White House. I think most of Senator Obama supporters would have supported Senator Clinton if she had won – I know that I would have. There is so much at stake for all Americans.

June 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  38. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Candy,
    Happy trails indeed..No one could ever say this election so far was not a blazing trail. But there comes a point when everyone needs a rest from the trail blaze before they become reduced to soot. So have a good rest and come back to the blog with your wit and happy face on. Round two of the election is fast approaching. Big wows and big bloopers are on the horizon. November please come quickly...

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

June 9, 2008 at 9:57 pm |
  39. Jolene

Candy: Looking forward to your "Ode to Politicians". If it's coming from you, it should be good! Glad you are finally getting a break, even if it is short. Afterall, you don't want the cat to start to get used to you being around now do you? Take Care!

Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

June 9, 2008 at 9:49 pm |
  40. Gary Chandler in Canada

@ esbee Obama's behaviour? His statements have always been respectful of the Clintons!
    Much can be said about the irate behaviour of Obama's supporters, but look at a what started them up. Bill's fairy tale and Jackson comments, Hillary saying she is the only one capable of answering 3 AM phone calls. The dam of animosity really broke when she said McCain would make a better prez. (Add dodging bullets, flipping on whether MI and FLA should count, and wiping out 4 1/2 States to make a false claim she won the PV.)
    On top of all that the sexism in America hurt her, the racism in America helped Obama, and the media should not have said anything about kitchen sinks flying through the air!?
    It's their job to report the news!

June 9, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  41. esbee c.

Candy

For the pundits and the pollsters

We did not vote for Senator Clinton because she was a woman or because she is white.

We voted for her because she does not flinch and defeat is not in her vocabulary.

It was not the promises she made, but that she showed us how to get up and work, even in the face of adversity.

And she was CONFIDENT and optimistic and eager.

June 9, 2008 at 9:40 pm |
  42. Larry

That would be typical to Obama; as a reactionary politician he tends to wait for the other person, Hillary or McCain to do or say something and then react. Does Obama know that both Edwards & Kerry both voted aye for going into Iraq, tho you'd be led to believe that Hillary was the only democrat who voted aye.

June 9, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  43. Annie Kate

Hi Candy!

Glad to hear someone else wakes up and doesn't know where they are. I do that routinely anymore (prescribed meds) and I not only don't recognize the room but I have to figure out which house I'm in....my cats don't care as long as I don't disturb their beauty sleep.

So the wedding is between the two conventions – sounds like you will have a busy week or two there. Enjoy the showers – they can be such great fun – and be glad you are mother of the groom and not the bride – when my daughter got married I never imagined what all the mother of the bride had to do – I have 3 more daughters too – am thinking of paying them to elope.

See you on the show!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 9, 2008 at 9:20 pm |
  44. Lawrence M.

Candy,

Everyone is focused on who Obama selects as VP, but I think the most critical thing for Obama to do is wait and see who McCain selects. If Obama, chooses some "safe, white male," and then McCain selects
    Kay Bailey Hutchison or Condi Rice, Obama is in big trouble. The pressure to pick Hillary is reduced a little if McCain selects some "safe white guy" but if McCain surprises everyone watch out.

Lawrence

June 9, 2008 at 9:12 pm |
  45. Larry

Obama was always linking the Clintons to McCain; dunno how he gets around that. Obama does have more big $$ donors so he'll buy the presidency.

June 9, 2008 at 9:12 pm |
  46. Lisette Chicago, IL

When you news people talk about the glass ceiling, why do you never mention Nancy Pelosi?
    She became the first female Speaker of the House without all this fanfare.

June 9, 2008 at 9:08 pm |
  47. Mary OK

Hope the Clinton family is having a restful vacation. They deserve it.

I am one of those informed voters who will never vote for Senator Obama. I don't consider him honest and trustworthy. He was selected–good ole Chicago corrupt politics worked.

June 9, 2008 at 9:03 pm |
  48. esbee c.

Me too, Candy. All of the above. I am a Hillary supporter.

And I like what Obama has to say much of the time but I do not like the way he has behaved nor do I like that he seems intent on kicking the Clintons in the face.

It seems very clear to me that he does not want the Clinton vote.

June 9, 2008 at 9:03 pm |
  49. JOHN

Those of Mrs. Clinton's voters that voted for her because she's a woman only, probably won't vote anyway. Those who voted for the issues will vote for Obama. I am a staunch Obama supporter however I would like Hillary on the ticket. Not just for the votes but because I also like her. They are almost identical on the issues.

June 9, 2008 at 9:03 pm |
  50. Jacqueline

Oh Candy,

I feel for you. Do try and get more rest. I hope you aren't using DRUGS like Anderson. 🙂

AND congrats to you, Mom-In-Law to be.

JPHowell, NY