June 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/9/08

Tonight, the economy and the election. The average price of gasoline is more than four dollars a gallon nationwide, the job market is sagging and the housing market is tanking.  How will that play out on the campaign trail?  Sen. Hillary Clinton says she’s in it to win it for Obama.   What role will she play in the election?  We’ll talk all that over with the best political team on television.

Anderson is in Rwanda tonight working on the next installment of planet in peril.  He and his crew have been climbing and trekking in search of the mountain gorilla, one of the world's most majestic and most endangered species.  The Rwanda government, with limited resources of its own, is working to save the gorillas by encouraging eco-tourism.   Anderson is going to have a report tonight but for a sneak peek take a look at his post and Neil Hallsworth, the photojournalist with Anderson, blogged as well.

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. Tonight you’ll see Campbell Brown and Erica Hill behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cheryl from Florida

Catch me if you can, McSAME

June 9, 2008 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Jolene

Hi David Gergen! Thanks for blogging. I also enjoyed the piece on Larry King tonight when you and the other panelists were reviewing potenial VP's. It's all about strategy and I love watching it unfold and change as we move forward.

June 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  3. Don

David:

Great hearing from you! I truly enjoy listening to you because you consistantly bring a realistic perspective. Thank you and keep up the good work.

Obama/Clinton 2008!

June 9, 2008 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Gary

My wife wants me to ask...when will CNN have a piece on how the Democrats might use John McCains age against him? Since we are seeing this piece on why the Republicans might use race we should see the age issue too.

June 9, 2008 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, Ohio

Brian Willilams from Texas; Finally someone agrees with me about this!

June 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  6. adam

bill nice to have you aboard the Obama train

June 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Chanel

It would be simply foolish for the Republicans to try and use race to win over Obama. It will definitely turn Americans off.

June 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Sara, Oklahoma

If Obama is going to do a tax stimulus check like Bush, is it going to leave out the millions of people like Bush's did? Is it going to be vague, by promising everyone a check, and then when time comes, not everyone gets one?

June 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  9. jen rose

The mountain gorillas they are pretty, I'm wondering which animal is the virus going to be coming from.

June 9, 2008 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Don

You can't change Washington if you are part of Washington.....ie,
    being a U.S. Senator

June 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Jana, Indiana

Jo Ann, I agree Anderson's piece was great, but to short. He did say he would be bringing us more stories on Mondays, so hopefully we won't have to wait for fall for all of the gorilla stories.

June 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Chanel

Race will always be a factor for some, but I believe that the vast majority have come far enough in this country to look beyond that.

June 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Allison NC

I enjoyed the Planet in Peril sneak peak by Anderson tonight; Glad to see CNN is highlighting and exposing the conservation effort that Dian Fossey led for the gorillas.

June 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  14. bill

Obama's race will not affect my vote. I'm a white, middle class male, Republican. I also have a mixed race nephew and cousin. Oh, and I hail from rural America. My vote will be for Obama.

June 9, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  15. Michelle in CA

Kathy, there are a growing number of Senators and Congressmen who believe Obama can bring governmental forces together. This is one of his many skills and is why he has so much support among his peers.

June 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Linda, Los Angeles

Unfortunately, I do think it will be an issue. Wouldn't it be nice to vote on the issue and not know what candidate was attached to it? Some might be surprised on their vote. I wouldn't.... 😉

June 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  17. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Kathy, You have a point. The 435 members of Congress of either party will not willingly allow the system to be changed.

June 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  18. Brian Williams from Texas

Campbell, he didn't win over Hillary.....HE WAS APPOINTED by party insiders and bosses!!

June 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Christine

I have some questions- if someone does not vote for their party they are not a true Democrate or Republican? What is this a communist conuntry? Why can't a person just vote for the person they FEEL will be the best for the country? I am a Democrate but I have voted Republican before. Sometime the other person is just better.

June 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  20. Cynthia

I would hope that Senator Obama's race won't matter. Black people have been voting for white candidates every since they were given the right to vote.

June 9, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I think I am done for the night I saw everything I wanted to see.

Hope to see you anchoring tomorrow night Erica!

June 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Jason-Riverview, FL

velma hinojosa, I am with you; those Pundants who say it will past in time about Hillary Supporters supporting Obama is going to be WELL suprised come August. If Hillary is not selected as the VP; a PROTEST VOTE will be registerd from me to the RNC or even write Hillary Name in on the ballot.

She earned the spot; ask her 18MILLION supporters!!!

June 9, 2008 at 10:37 pm |
  23. ericacnn

This is a great story - and a really interesting piece by Marcus Mabry.

June 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, Ohio

Luckily I was able to see Anderson's piece. I wish it had been longer. I liked it better when he was live from the field as he was for the first PIP. I hope that we are not going to have to wait until the fall to see more footage on the mountain gorillas.

June 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar

Yes, Adam......
    I agree with you...... Obama will pick Clinton for Vice President!

June 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  26. kathy

jason

i agree with you, also he wants to change washington , it is not going to happen, thank god we have the house and senate if he gets in , i do not trust him at all,

June 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  27. JAY

Strange that nobody feels that more taxes and more debt that Obama is talking about is bad for them. In his speech today he talked about spending more than 200 billion dollars.

June 9, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  28. adam

Gas in South Florida is 4.27 for regular and 4.58 for supper, Im going to ask my boss if i can work 4 10 hour days to save on driving 5 days ans save gas. I drive 60 miles a day 5 days a week.

June 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  29. diane lake

We have had storms everyday since Thursday. I live in northern Illinois and so far no flooding but, I hear Iowa is in real trouble and have not seen any help there.

June 9, 2008 at 10:35 pm |
  30. David Gergen

Hello one and all - just came off the air and wanted to say hi. From my perspective, Hillary Clinton did everything anyone on the Barack Obama team could have expected from her on Saturday. Yes, it took a while for her to get there, but when the moment came, she was both gracious and graceful. She did a lot to begin the healing at the top of the party; it will take longer among supporters on both sides, but with the passage of time - and a smashing performance by both Clintons at the convention - my sense is that much will be forgiven and forgotten by those who have been so tough on her.

Whether she ought to be on the ticket with Obama is a much harder call. I have not been surprised in recent days by the number of women who have come up to me and argued the case for her as vice president; what has surprised is the number of men who have had just the opposite reaction. As far as I can tell, everyone ought to calm down for a while and let the dust settle.

The big challenge for Obama - as I said on air just a bit ago - is to take charge of the fall campaign right now and see if he can crack it open. If he can build up a lead of 10 points or so by August, then both he and Clinton may decide that it is in their mutual best interest for him to go elsewhere. But if McCain is still runnning right at his heels (and McCain could win the electoral college if the vote were held today), then both Obama and Clinton may decide that it would be best for the country if they joined forces on the ticket.

Will look forward to hearing what others think as we go forward.

For now, thanks for taking part in the AC 360 blog!

David

June 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  31. Jolene

Well, that definitely was a teaser for PIP2. Nothing like keeping us on edge until Fall to see the rest!

June 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  32. EJ (USA)

I'm sorry – I just wasn't expecting Anderson to look that good after all that traveling and fatigue. Wow.

June 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Don

Erica:

You know what I find amusing is how a large portion of Clinton haters dislike them because of what Bill did behind his wife's back and then lied to the country. What gets me is how many American housholds commit adultery, lie to their spouses as well but that is
    accepted? Bunch of hypocrites. You know who you are, just don't let your spouse find out!

June 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  34. Teresa

talking about high price of gas, bike ride, priceless!

June 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  35. Genevieve M, TX

I have this feeling that this election will be focused on race more than anything else.

It's almost as if you don't vote Democrat, then you are racist.

June 9, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar

Erica,
    I never seen this before, this most record tornadoes in United States!
    Yay! I am watching right now Planet in Peril! awesome!!! Nice see Anderson this program!

June 9, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Gary

I am wondering...Senator Obama said that he would raise the pay of teachers. I don't know how he can do that. The Federal Government does not fund education which is done at the local/state level. The Feds provide grants to local school districts if the district applies for them. Teacher salaries are negotiated contracts usually. How can he say he will raise their pay?

June 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  38. adam

Hillary would only make Obama's campaign stronger with her 18 mil support.

June 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  39. EJ (USA)

Oh – my – God

Anderson is in that gray t-shirt and I am going to die.

June 9, 2008 at 10:32 pm |
  40. CaseyJPS - California

Megan O.>
    "Ted Kennedy looks really good"

So does Anderson Cooper, but that's on another blog...

June 9, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  41. adam

Hi Erica hi all. I think Obama should pic Hilary as vp

June 9, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, Ohio

Erica; I am in northeast Ohio, we are having horrible thunder storms here and I keep losing the CNN signal! I hope I am able to see Anderson's Rwanda segment. Wish me luck!

June 9, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Frank (North Carolina)

We all people need to vote for our next president who will turn our country around we do not want to continue to go to war because if we do then a reccession will being with continuing loss of jobs and etc.

June 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Stan

Come on, McCain was playing politic. He was playing on the feelings of Hillary's voters...

June 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

ohhh that gorillia is soooo cute 🙂

June 9, 2008 at 10:29 pm |
  46. Jo Ann, Ohio

Billi; Well said! McCain is being honest when it comes to Hillary Clinton.

June 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Ted Kennedy looks really good

June 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Nikki

Erica – all of the damage the weather is causing to all those homes, towns and lives is really heartbreaking! It's hard to watch. Here in the Northwest, we are getting cooler than usual weather, but so far, so good.

June 9, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Erica,
    We have lots of rain today....... around 54 dergee tonight!

June 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Linda, Los Angeles

What is going on with the weather! I can't believe those homes being swept away. I really feel for those in Wisconsin as someone whose family ended up moving because of Huriicane Katrina.

June 9, 2008 at 10:27 pm |