June 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/9/08

Tonight, the economy and the election. The average price of gasoline is more than four dollars a gallon nationwide, the job market is sagging and the housing market is tanking.  How will that play out on the campaign trail?  Sen. Hillary Clinton says she’s in it to win it for Obama.   What role will she play in the election?  We’ll talk all that over with the best political team on television.

Anderson is in Rwanda tonight working on the next installment of planet in peril.  He and his crew have been climbing and trekking in search of the mountain gorilla, one of the world's most majestic and most endangered species.  The Rwanda government, with limited resources of its own, is working to save the gorillas by encouraging eco-tourism.   Anderson is going to have a report tonight but for a sneak peek take a look at his post and Neil Hallsworth, the photojournalist with Anderson, blogged as well.

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. Tonight you’ll see Campbell Brown and Erica Hill behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Shannon

As a woman and a supporter of Obama, he does reach out to me. He and Hillary share 95% of the same goals and policy stances. I think it is a complete myth that he has a lot of work to do.

June 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  2. velma hinojosa

the reason we are still talking about hillary is because she is a force . her supporters are many and very loyal. her supporters insist on her being on that ticket

June 9, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  3. CaseyJPS - California

Ken in NC>The Clintons border on what we might refer to as a "Dynasty," not on the same level as the Kennedy's but with the potential, that's for certain. It will be interesting to see what happens with Chelsea in a few years.

June 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  4. Billi

I will be waiting for Senator Obama to reach out to me. I am proud to say that I have been one of Hillary's supporters and fit the demographics the panel spoke about. I am not ready to switch. I need time.

June 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Casey, There is research that supports what you just said. We support candidates we are comfortable with and seem most like us. Issues come second.

June 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Jason--Riverview, FL

Wow...all these talk about barack going to bring Change to the World...Is he going to walk on Water and Part the Red sea too?

He is a Politician...he will say ANYTHING...but you people fail to railize; he HAS to work with both DEM and REP to get WHAT ever he wants done; or it will be like what we have now... GRIDLOCK. He is JUST another POLITICIAN

June 9, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Anna

As a Hillary supporter, find it extremely offensive that McCain thinks he is going to win over my vote. He has the worst voting record on women's issues, he has a 0 rating on environmental, he voted against CHIP, against equal pay, against women's choice. He has to be kidding me that he thinks saying a few things will make me vote for him.

June 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Mary Jane

I'm an independent who voted in the democratic primary to support the first viable woman U.S. presidential candidate. I'm not enamored of either Obama or McCain, so plan to write in "Hillary Clinton" in November.

June 9, 2008 at 10:24 pm |
  9. Susan - North Haven, CT

It will be interesting to see how Hillary fits into the scheme of things. Hopefully she will be in it as Obama's VP because he will not win without her.

But aside from that, I think it would be very difficult for her to simply campaign in support of him and his ideas without voicing her OWN opinions, especially on the topic of universal health care. I don't think Obama would be very accepting of that because, unlike him, Hillary actually KNOWS what she's talking about!

June 9, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  10. CaseyJPS - California

Erica>Yes, dry and cool. 100+ daytime and 70+ at night. Plenty cool. 🙂

June 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  11. Luke

Nikki,

Clinton was speaking to HER supporters, so of course she had to talk about her campaign. She did more than enough in talking about her support for Obama. I have a feeling that whatever Clinton said wouldn't have been enough for you anyway. It's unbelievable that Obama supporters are talking about party unity and still taking cheap shots at her. To take what you said at the end, "can't have it both ways."

June 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Billi

Please do not attribute any negative motives to Senator McCain in his praise for Senator Clinton. I do believe that he and Senator Clinton have great respect for each other. Please let people praise this womderful woman without thinking they are pandering.

June 9, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar

Erica,
    I saw this morning on CNN and I saw that house moved apart half!!! That is so scary for me..... I agree with you Erica! Happy Monday to you!

June 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Dan, Denver, CO

I humbly disagree with your panelist Didi Myers who says that Clinton supporter's feelings will "dissipate" with time and will take a U turn to support Obama.

On the contrary .... a lot of Clinton supporters are in a "wait and watch mode" .... Obama will actually lose percentage points of support and McCain will gain if he decides to choose a running mate other than Hillary .... Didi Myers is humbly not entuned to the sentiment and feelings of the nation.

June 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, Ohio

This isn't a new attitude for McCain; he has always spoken well of Hillary Clinton.

June 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  16. bill

Lets have a short and quick constitutional lesson. The President can't pass bills into law such as tax raises or tax cuts, only congress can do that. The President either passes the proposals or vetoes them. A greater responsibility for the blame lies with congress. But, no one ever wants to blame "their" representative or senator for the problems we face.

June 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  17. velma hinojosa

i cannot vote for senator obama if hillary is not on the ticket . change but what kind of change. he is not experienced, if she is not on the ticiket, i will vote republican for the first time and so will my husband , my sisters and my parents

June 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  18. CaseyJPS - California

Don>Supporting a candidate simply because we like how they sound in a debate is not the answer. I'm afraid too many of us support candidates based on our gut feelings, which is considerably short of actual research of a candidate.

June 9, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Ken in NC

Campbell, David just made the comment that HRC is now off the scene so why is she still the top news story? Should not the media be starting to put it's focus more now on the race between McCain and Obama?

June 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Tony, Indianapolis, IN

Hillary made this campaign about women! Glass ceilings, the woman's time and other such statements infers that she is more interested in getting a woman in office than anything else – perhaps this is why she completely stabbed Barack in the back so many times during the primaries. I was a Hillary supporter initially, but she made this way too personal for me – that spells the same old politics that Barack wants to change!

June 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Cynthia

Ed Rollins is correct.

June 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Tracey - Boston

Nikki:

I think you need to look up the speech on CNN and re-watch her speech. She mentioned Obama quite a bit.and of course she talked about herself because it was about her.

June 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  23. diane lake

Nikki, glad to see you feel as I do. Enough Hillary.
    She is over.

June 9, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Denzel

Better late than never erica

June 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  25. kathy

why does everyone keep saying hillary supporters will soften? I know i wont but i will vote , for mccain

June 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Shannon

Mary Jane, it isn't a gimmick because he could actually do it and it would be 1,000 dollars as opposed to the $28 that Senator Clinton offered. Also, a tax cut the money would actually come to you and the taxes off oil prices would go into the pockets of the Oil Companies because they would not lower their prices.

June 9, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Joe - Johnson City Tn

We talk about gas prices being high, I agree. There are many things that are own goverment is holdback on. Its the representives and senators that have the oil companies in their back pockets. We need to hold them responsible for the gas prices. There are so many technologies available to relieve the stress of oil comsumption. Other countries have adapted such as Sweeden with the hydo car. I think the only thing holding us back is the lobbyist.

June 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar

Gary!
    I love your joke! LOL! very funny! Obama central!

June 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  29. ericacnn

Happy Monday, all ~ sorry for logging on late! Hope you all had a good wkd... hopefully it was dry and cool. Between the rainstorms, tornadoes and this heat wave, much of the country was just slammed.

June 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Denzel

I agree with david Hillary will be an important part in Barack admin.

June 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  31. EJ (USA)

Anderson is best anchor in Rwanda, I can’t wait to see him Planet in Peril!!! It is very beautiful place!

And Anderson is a very beautiful person!

June 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  32. diane lake

I don't want to sound cranky but, it has bothered me after the past week and then tonight we hear the same stuff.
    I am just ready to move to general election and I'd like to see the candidates allowed to be themselves.

June 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  33. Linda, Los Angeles

Kudos to Clinton on the speech Saturday. I was jumping up and clapping in my home. Funny sight, let me tell you.

June 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  34. CaseyJPS - California

Mike>We need more than just cutting taxes, we need bonafide tax incentives, to help accelerate alternate energy development. There are a lot of companies dabbling, but they lack the capitalization to move forward at any significant pace.

June 9, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  35. kathy

I hope hillary stays in the news , if not i will miss seeing her, i have never admired anyone as much as her

June 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Jana, Indiana

Good evening all from soggy and flooded Indiana. Getting more rain again tonight, like we really need that.

Looking forward to Anderson's report from Rwanda. Hope we do get to see it.

June 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  37. Chris Szeszko

Obama needs to stop talking in generalities and show America how he plans to solve the issues facing our countries. Saying McCain is in big oil comapnies pocket because of the tax break, needs to clarify that the tax break has been in place even when the Democrats were in power.

June 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Billi

Hillary's speech was beautiful and we Hillary supporters will remember how passionate and powerful she spoke. Thank you for the lovely piece, Candy. We are still out here loving our first choice.

June 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Casey, you're right, both parties have not covered themselves with glory regarding the economy.

June 9, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Frank (North Carolina)

I am wondering how long these gas prices will keep going up everytime it goes up the NYSE has fallen down because loss of jobs and production and OPEC and the war. I like to see that change when we have our next president.

June 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Shannon

Yes, the fact that McCain wants to give a 1.2 billion dollar tax break to Exxon Oil says all that I need to know about him.

June 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Tony, Indianapolis, IN

Hillary was so negative against Barack in the primaries I don't see how she can effectively be VP. She even favored McCain over Barack in the primary battles when she said that she would bring experience to the White House, McCain would bring experience to the White House, but Obama would only bring a speech! This was a very bitter and destructive comment that should disqualify her from the VP spot.

June 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Denzel

hey cambell nice to see you tonight

June 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Nikki

My question is; WHY are we still talking about Hillary – all day today on CNN. SHE'S OUT! Enough! I don't think her speech was all that remarkable, nor do I think she talked about supporting Obama enough. She talked about herself – as usual. First she complained about the media and the 'sexist' element of the coverage, but she herself never stopped pushing a "Woman for Pres" as Candy points out in her piece. Can't have it both ways.

June 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Rego Plesset

I think the polls are very outdated. I live in the red state of NC and for the life of me I can't name 3 people I know that are for John McCain. Everyone on this Baseball Mom's social circuit is Obama all the way. I tell you it's not scientific, but the stat's blue from where I sit here in a Raleigh suburb called Rolesville.

June 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar

I hate to say this, I cannot afford to pay gas for my car, But I usually to ride bus to work without my car, that is easy for me......

June 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  47. James

Does one call John McCain super fries a Flip Flopper since he did not support BUSH tax break and he says he supports it so that he can get support from Rich Conservative? Or is it only a Flip Flopper if Democrat does it?

June 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Jacqueline

Obama Central... Very funny Gary!

June 9, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  49. Josh, MA

The GOP has had office for 8 years and look where we are, Jonh McCain has practically identical policies as his predecessor so wouldn't common sense dictate that we will just get more of the same if we elect McCain?

June 9, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Don

Hillary is still the best qualified to be President of the United States...look at the debate between the two final candidates already....one is not ready and has no concrete solutions and the other.....well, he's just not qualified. HILLARY FOREVER

June 9, 2008 at 10:15 pm |