June 9th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/9/08

Tonight, the economy and the election. The average price of gasoline is more than four dollars a gallon nationwide, the job market is sagging and the housing market is tanking.  How will that play out on the campaign trail?  Sen. Hillary Clinton says she’s in it to win it for Obama.   What role will she play in the election?  We’ll talk all that over with the best political team on television.

Anderson is in Rwanda tonight working on the next installment of planet in peril.  He and his crew have been climbing and trekking in search of the mountain gorilla, one of the world's most majestic and most endangered species.  The Rwanda government, with limited resources of its own, is working to save the gorillas by encouraging eco-tourism.   Anderson is going to have a report tonight but for a sneak peek take a look at his post and Neil Hallsworth, the photojournalist with Anderson, blogged as well.

And be sure to check out our live web camera from the 360° studio. Tonight you’ll see Campbell Brown and Erica Hill behind the scenes on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET. LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We’ll start posting comments to this blog at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lee

Hi Erica,

I was wondering if Obama sends out another stimulus package if it will leave out our military men and women who get non-taxable combat pay as did this years stimulus package?

June 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Shannon, yes we need to invest in alternate energy. The way to get companies to invest is to create tax advantages to do so. That means cut taxes on exploration and R&D.

June 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  3. Denzel

good evening all

June 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  4. CaseyJPS - California

Candy Crowley>It's not over until it's over. Let's see how the cards play out before we write history.

June 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, Ohio

Ellen; Unless something unexpected happens as far as the war is concerned, I think that the economy will be the most important issue during this election. I agree with your suggestions about oil production and cutback on consumption. Neither candidate can do anything in the immediate future about the gas prices.

June 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  6. Shannon

Yes, I really do think that he will roll back the tax cuts on those over 250K and deliver new tax cuts to those in the middle class income bracket. I absolutely believe this. I believe that he will get rid of the tax burden on Seniors making <50K per year on Social Security.

June 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Sara, Oklahoma

I heard on some news channel earlier today that gas will eventually go back down to $60/barrel. But, the expert said it would only go higher for now.

I'm not sure if I believe that gas can go back down that low.

June 9, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  8. bill

The problem with gas prices is not the amount of production or consumption. Even the OPEC nations admit that there is a surplus of oil on the market and that the prices should be about 1/2 of where they are at. Has anyone thought about the possibility of Al'Queda being involved in purchasing stocks and speculating in commodities?

June 9, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar

My home town is only for $4.98 dollars for disel, very expensive gas.... You're right Linda!

June 9, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  10. Jonathan

Gary what a crazy statement to make. Bush and Cheney both have interest in oil companies. Does Haliburton ring a bell to you.

June 9, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  11. Mary Jane

How is Obama's proposal for another tax rebate check to offset rising gas prices any different in theory then the gas tax cut Hillary Clinton proposed and Obama denegrated as being a "gimmick?"

June 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Mike

How about Colin Powell for VP on either party ticket???
    Military experience, Foreign Policy experience, and spilt with the Bush White House. Seen by Independent to conservative or at least middle of the road.

June 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Linda, Los Angeles

Gary, it has been increasing for more than just 2 years.

June 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  14. Shannon

Gary, this has nothing to do with the Democrats taking over Congress. Let's look at Bush's vetoes and the Oil companies paying money directly to Cheney.

June 9, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  15. CaseyJPS - California

Gary>The messed-up economy is not a partisan issue, everyone in Washington is to blame. First, the President and his "team," then Congress for it's complacency.

June 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Tracey - Boston

Don't get us wrong Campbell...we like you but it would be nice to see Erica more often.. 🙂

June 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  17. Jacqui Chan

in 1999 gas was $11 a barrel today it is around $140 a barrel; it's insane!

June 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  18. Marian

I do hope they have Rwanda piece tonight as stated on the web site – it would be a welcome break from politics as usual.

June 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Shannon, do you really think Obama is only going to raise taxes on those making over $250K and create all these new spending programs, and balance the budget? No way, the numbers don't work. He'll raise everyones taxes.

June 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  20. Billi

I find it really interesting how many times Senator Clinton's name comes up. The best line was David's about how well Hillary would have done on this issue. So true. So true.

June 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  21. Linda, Los Angeles

David, I think its time to stop comparing Obama to Clinton. It's between Obama and McCain now. I think he was setting up the pieces for his economic plan.

June 9, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar

Jo Ann,
    Me too I agree with you...... Anderson is best anchor in Rwanda, I can't wait to see him Planet in Peril!!! It is very beautiful place! 🙂

June 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  23. Shannon

MIke, Obama is realistic and realizes that you can't keep borrowing from the Bank Of China to fund the War iraq. We have to raise taxes to enable other plans to emerge such as building alternative energy programs and sources. You can't wish them to appear, you have to invest.

June 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  24. CaseyJPS - California

Linda, Los Angeles>I was in Orange COunty today and paid $445/gallon, for REGULAR. Any bets on how fast we will get to $6/gallon?

June 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Gary

Yes Linda that's right, gas was $1.50 when President Bush took office. Since the Democrats took control of Congress two years ago we have seen it double.

June 9, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  26. Ellen

I am glad to hear you speaking about the economy, specifically gas prices. However, must you tie it into the presidential campaign. I'd like to see the media put pressure on the oil companies to increase production, or support a grass roots measure to cut back on our consumption. Today, John McCain nor Barack Obama can do anything about the out of control gas prices.

June 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  27. bill

As a taxpayer and a person responsible enough to "read" my mortgage terms before I signed, and responsible enough to make my payments on time, Why should I have to bail people out with my tax dollars when they were not responsible to do any of those things?

June 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Obama need to realize that you spend your way out of a recession, not tax your way out.

June 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  29. CaseyJPS - California

Hi gang

June 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Shannon

Raising tax is a tired Republican cry, it won’t work this time. Look what Bush’s tax cuts have done for us the past 8 years. The 4 trillion dollars of debt he ran up. The 12 billion we are sending to Iraq. The housing crisis collopsing. The Republicans are going to have to try another new tactic if they think they can cry about Obama raising taxes on those making more than 250K a year and we are going to care. It is time for the Democrats to take back the White House and balance the budget.

June 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar

Yes Megan O.
    Erica took over for him last Friday, She is best anchor AC360.......

June 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Linda, Los Angeles

Hi Campbell, Erica and all. It is definitely about the economy. Someone pointed out that the gas price was around $1.50 when Bush entered the office......

June 9, 2008 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, Ohio

Megan O; That is exactly what I want to know. Erica is more than capable of handling the anchoring duities.

June 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Gary

Nice to be here at Obama central. Hope we can have a spirited blog session tonight.

June 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Tracy, McCain is opposed to helping speculators. Those who bought houses hoping to flip them quickly when they were going up in price.

June 9, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Tracey - Boston

Erica did a fine job on Friday!!!!

June 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Cynthia

You are correct Tracey I saw that same report.

June 9, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Jolene

I'm glad to see Obama and McCain talking about the issues now.

June 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

I know Erica will probably be on the blog my question was why she is not anchoring

June 9, 2008 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Missy

Campbell, great to see you anchoring. Looking forward to Anderson's report from Rwanda.

June 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Tracey - Boston

Good Evening Everyone:

I highly recommend you check out the pics of Anderson and the crew in Rwanda..very nice.

I read a blog by Kelly Daniel an AC360 staffer: McCain and his "enacting a HOME plan to help those facing foreclosure"... If I remember correctly he was against helping people who has suffered from the sub-prime loans and foreclosures just a few months ago???

June 9, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Stacy

Campbell didn't mention the Rwanda report. Still happening?

June 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  43. EJ (USA)

Erica! Erica! Erica! ... the crowd screams

June 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar

Megan O.
    Erica will be here soon to join blog......

June 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, Ohio

Hi everybody! I am so excited about seeing Anderson in Rwanda with the mountain gorillas! Those shots during the tease were beautiful!

June 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Jolene

Hi Bloggers! That house falling into the water is amazing yet sad. The weather sure is doing a number this season.

June 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Ken in NC

Hi Campbell. Glad to see you here tonight. Hope lots of good blogs take place tonight. Have a ball all. Just don't drive to fast. Slow down and save that gas.

June 9, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Good Evening Bloggers

June 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar

Hello Campbell, Erica, Bloggers!!!
    Nice see you Campbell........ Thanks for subbing for him!!!
    I accept that Hillary Clinton exits her bid president last weekend....... I'm going to support Obama next November.

June 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

happy monday all!!!

Why isn't Erica anchoring????

June 9, 2008 at 10:00 pm |