June 6th, 2008

What Sen. Feinstein told us about the Obama/Clinton meeting

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/06/art.aipac.jpg caption="Senators Clinton and Obama at AIPAC on Wednesday. This photo appears in the current issue of TIME magazine (6/6/08)."]
Ted Barrett
CNN Congressional Producer

She just spoke to a few reporters in the Capitol, off-camera:

• The meeting took place at 9pm and lasted about an hour.

• It took place in the living room on her home which is near American University in NW Washington.

• Hillary called Feinstein yesterday late afternoon to see if they could use her house.

• “I received them. Put them in the living room in two comfortable chairs facing one another and left,” said Feinstein who endorsed Clinton.

• Feinstein served them water but nothing else.

• No one else was in the room with them. One person from each of the campaigns went to a separate room, a study, in the house. Security waited outside.

• “They talked. I went upstairs and did my work. They called me when it was over. I came down and said ‘good night everybody, I hope you had a good meeting.’ They were laughing and that was it.”

• “They got along very well,” Feinstein said.

• Why do you think they wanted to meet privately, secretly, like this? “They wanted this
opportunity privately. You all know what it’s like. You go out and you have to make a statement and everybody’s critical of it. They just wanted an opportunity to meet together alone. This is a deeply personal time too. You’re sorting out your feelings. Hillary’s going to be giving a big speech tomorrow. Barrack is trying to put things together for a major presidential campaign. There are a lot of decompression, nerve endings, that need to come together. I think the opportunity to sit down, just the two of them, was positive,” she said.

Feinstein said she would not discuss the content of what Clinton and Obama talked about.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Brandon

Shame on the Obama campain and Cnn News and the media. For weeks you have been unfairly putting down the Clinton's name. Their will never be any unity with the dem. party. We will never vote for someone who is unfit to run the White House. Obama is not a leader and will not win. Today is the frist day Cnn news has give Hillary fair media. Hard working people will stand up and vote for John McCain who is a real leader and not like Bush, but dont you Obama haters complain when we have another 4years of McCain.

June 7, 2008 at 11:59 pm |
  2. Clara

Pretty disappointing outcome for a country that is supposed to be a democracy. The media demonstrated so much bias during this campaign that instead of reporting the news, they were influencing the news. The media has lost its way and abuses its power. I think that the democrats have made a BIG mistake in their choice, which was overly influenced by a biased media.

June 7, 2008 at 10:31 pm |
  3. Loretta from California

I hope that Senator Obama wiill pick Senator Clinton. Not because he feels pressured to pick her, but because maybe, just maybe we will be able to Unite and move on.

I have grown tired of all of this bickering. This is definitely not the Democratic Party that I am accustom to.

June 7, 2008 at 9:58 pm |
  4. Claudia, Houston, Tx

While we have been consumed with the democrat nomination, it always makes me wonder what kind of havick Bush and Cheney have created. Those two need to be under watchful eye all the time.

June 7, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  5. Cheryl

Let me make it clear – First of all, Hillary did not lose! Hillary, to this day has the popular vote, therefore she is the winner!!! According to the Democratic rules and their controlling issues, Obama won. Any race should be counted by the number of the votes, not delegates. That rule should change. That is just another way of the Democratic party taking control and making sure they get who they want in!!! I may be changing the way I vote on November. I used to be a Democrat, but after the way the party treated Hillary and then took delegates that were hers and gave to Obama, which is NOT DEMOCRATIC, I may not even vote!!! God knows, what else the Democratic party does behind close doors. CNN and all the other talking heads and media did nothing but ridicule, demean, discriminate and make fun of Hillary. I can clearly state that it was those people that divided the Democratic party and made sure to influence everyone against Hillary!!! What makes me sick, the same TV talking heads and media that put Hillary down, is now being very positive towards Hillary. Although, Wolf is still throwing in negative remarks against Hillary. He needs to stop now!! Perhaps, if they had a more neutral or positive attitude towards Hillary during the campaign, the outcome would surely be different!!!!!! Congratulations, you won. My parents always told me, "Be careful what you wish for!!!!"

June 7, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  6. jeremy

im also worried about barack's judgement with people in his personal life, i think after 20 yrs in a radicalist church like the one he was in,until everything hit the fan,he made very poor judgements in his social life. and now there talking about him making descisions with country dictators, im still voting for him ,but im not happy about it.it just goes to show how his character really is when you have to denounce your real support and friends to get that power. i dont want a political puppet in the white house to represent the super deligates, but a real fighter like hillary to represent the core of this country, the hard workers, middle class,and the poor. where the real american culture comes from. " vote obama clinton 08" wouldnt want it any other way

June 7, 2008 at 2:28 pm |
  7. jeremy

im upset that hilllary didnt recieve the nomination, she definately had the popular vote,which would have given her the electoral vote in those key swing states. barrak obama should be the vice, due to him not allowing michigan and florida's votes to be counted until after almost all the states were given to him by deceptive super deligates that werent representing their voters in states like ca,nm,az,and mass. its clear the people in the big key states voiced their opinion for hillary. this late deligate counting caused hillary the presidency and possibly the dems a chance in the white house, and also caused a false momentum for barrak obama. i think that it was dirty unhonest tactics that got him the nomination for future liberal,democratic,special interest.

June 7, 2008 at 2:09 pm |
  8. Bob

Today is a sad day in American Politics and for America. The opportunity to have a great president ,which is sorely needed to help solve our severe and complex problems is now gone, thanks to the biased press at CNN and MSNBC and the entire DNC leadership, which should resign because of gross incompetence and a flawed and outdated nominating process.

What we have now is the two lesser candidates in both parties running for President . At least one of them has true leadership and experience qualities and that one is NOT Obama. I urge all Clinton supporters to either stay home in November or ,if you can stomach it, vote for McCain.

Regarding the Obama fanatics who spew hate via these blogs at the Clintons, your comments are disgraceful.

June 7, 2008 at 10:49 am |
  9. bill

there GOP ,like pat on msnbc creating dissension. That's why McCain wants Obama to go to town-hall meetings because McCain cant draw 4 dozen people to an event, so he wants Obama to bring his crowds to him on TV rather then have to get out and get them.Why would Obama bring his crowds to let Mccain try to sway them. But all the same good idea!

June 7, 2008 at 2:47 am |
  10. azadeh

It is a mistake for Obama to go to Iraq... why? His safety ... our job is to keep him alive to become our next and best president.

June 7, 2008 at 2:37 am |
  11. Jonathan - Portland Oregon

Get the U-HUL out of here. I have no plans to move out yet.

June 7, 2008 at 2:25 am |
  12. Raymond Duke Texas

I don't put much stock in fienstien or the democrat party anymore . You Know I love these cnn pundits stating that hillary needs to come on in and bow down and enjoy the raping she took in racism remarks and sexism remarke and love the democrat lesadership for the shafting they gave her. Reality is this was her last chance to advance the women of america and her own personal gains. The media played a very baised role in all this and are just as responsible for her loss as was the democrat leadership in fixing this election for Obama. If she follows these pundits who are making these remarks they have won. It would be a mistake for her to run as the vp or to endorse Obama with enthusiasm. He will be defeated in november than she would never have any chance at all to run again. He is suicide for her.. I know a lot of people like me will not vote for Obama no matter if she endorses him or was on the ticket. After the name calling racist remarks at his church, his remarks and calling anybody who voted for hillary or was blue collared uneducated racist by the democrat leadership my family and I will vote republican on a straight ticket.

June 7, 2008 at 2:20 am |
  13. jackie-okla

i', 40yr old nurse and believes in women power.i work very hard caring for all people and don't have health insurance.if gas prices continue to rise will need to relocate or find something else.i'm hillary supporter but i have been informed of whats at stake. obama and hilary issues are same. i will support obama.i as well as millions of hard working americans needs relief and the truth is mcsame aint going to do a damn thing.

June 7, 2008 at 2:08 am |
  14. Daisy Heisler

We all know that this day is a reminder of what it means in the USA to become President and then the Vice-President takes over if the President can no longer do the job. I believe there are enough crazy, over-zealous people in the USA today and some may be followers of Hillary Clinton to want to clear a path for her to become President of the country, regardless of her loss in running. That is a danger to Obama and I think it too dangerous a path for him to choose her as his running mate regardless of her credentials.

I sincerely hope someone will look at the history of the USA and take the history seriously enough to advise Mr. Obama that he must NOT take Hillary Clinton as a running mate to ward off this possibility.

I also hope that the FBI won't come after me for suggesting what history has written all over it. I am a Canadian 70 year old woman who just cares about this young man who wants to be of some good to the people. But also, I have lived through the years of history and remember the heartbreak of losing the Kennedy brothers.

Thanks for your time. I don't know how else to get this message out where someone can possibly take it to those who advise Obama.

June 7, 2008 at 1:42 am |
  15. sharon

I totally agree PLEASE STOP!!! talking about Hillary. This is what she wants, she wants to keep her name out there. She is overshadowing Obama with her whining. Have we even noticed that history was made here????? Sen. Barack Obama has MADE HISTORY !!!! I used to like Billary. Not anymore !!! I hope Obama doesn't pick them. The media keeps talking about her 18 million supporters, they need to poll those 18 million now and ask would they still vote for her in November? I know a lot of people who voted for Billary earlier in the primary who wouldn't vote for her now. She has no respect for Obama and he would have to watch his back at all times if Billary ended up with him in the White House. Why should this black man have to gracious to this white woman the way she treated him. After all she said, and the way she treated him, there is no way I would ask her to be my running mate. After being in 1st place for 8yrs and walking those halls of the White House being the First Lady do you actually think she would graciously accept 2nd place ???? I think something would mysteriously happen to Obama and she would be President . Don't Do It Obama !!!! You'll be setting your self up. Thw media says 60% of Democratic women want Billary on the ticket, they didn't ask me. I say NO!!!

June 7, 2008 at 1:40 am |
  16. esbee c.

okay–what is a True Democrat??

June 7, 2008 at 1:12 am |
  17. Belinda

Bill and Bridget I am absolutely with you both. It is over and time to concentrate on taking back the White House without Hillary and Bill.

Obama in 08

June 6, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  18. Valerie

Let's face it Obama won, He'll make a GREAT President. Another John Kennedy. Hillary lost, she should not expect to be Vice President. Let Obama pick who he wants, afterall he did everything right so far, if he didn't he would not be where he is now. If the people that voted for Hillary are upset because she didn't win and will not vote for Obama or worse yet vote for McCain, don't complain when we have another 4 years of a George Bush disaster. If you are a Democrate then be a TRUE Democrate, stand behind your parties choice.

June 6, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  19. Pamela in VA.

Have you been watching the same campaign I have. People will not
    calm down as you put it. People want someone running this big country with a take charge, experienced intelligence not a trainee.

This was a BIG mistake with the Democratic party giving Obama
    delegates from Michigan and Florida. You shot you own foot again.
    I now believe democrates( which I have always been one) just aren't
    very smart. That is why they never get a viable candidate like Hillary.
    She would have made it the White House and not as some ridiculous
    people are saying because of her Husband. She is accomplished in her own right.
    Racism is still alive all over, not just against Black's-Sexism is been proved by the media to still be alive too. In a big way and woman against woman alive.

June 6, 2008 at 11:16 pm |
  20. Bridget

I'm with you Bill, enough of the Hilary talk, she lost and shouldn't be on the ticket in Nov.

Let's move on with Obama!!

June 6, 2008 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Annie Kate

Well it is nice to know where they met. I was chuckling on how Tom Foreman staked out the wrong house.

I don't care what they talked about. Lets give them some space and just wait patiently to see what happens.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 6, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  22. Belinda

Dearest David,

It is not a "bandwagon" that I have jumped on. It is time for a change and that change is with Sen Obama.

McCain will only throw us into a new war and deeper in debt. It is a big mistake to elect a man that can't even remember how many troops are in Iraq. What's next he won't remember what that red button is for?

Be afraid, be very afraid!!

June 6, 2008 at 10:01 pm |
  23. EJ (USA)

where is John King?

honeymoon with new bride Dana Bash

June 6, 2008 at 9:31 pm |
  24. David Elton (Belindas husband/Spokane)

Folks.....You will have to excuse my wife above. She has been drinking the the Kool-Aid supplied by Obama, probably hand made by Oprah.

Eventually, I will convince my wife that Obama has no experience and is thus a huge risk......She will be on board with us after she goes through her little political infatuation. She saw a "cool" bandwagon and jumped on before realizing Obama is an empty suit that speaks well in front of a crowd but stumbles 4 words at a time with face to face interviews. A clear sign he is not yet up to the task. In 4 or 8 years Obama will be more prepared. Right now he is like a boy scout at a bar arguing with a Harley-Davidson owner (bad metaphor huh ?)

Yours truly,
    Belindas Husband
    David Elton (Spokane, Washington)
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

June 6, 2008 at 9:28 pm |
  25. Carolyn from GA

It was not Barack Obama that mistreated Hillary Clinton. It was Hillary Clinton that mistreated Barack Obama. Indeed, she has run a republican race against a fellow democrat! Now that the primaries are over and Barack Obama is the presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee, we need to move past this. Part of is letting Barack and Hillary have their meeting and work things out. We need to be united against McCain. They needed to meet in private without the media pundits dogging their trail. I can't wait for the results of the meeting to come out (I would have like to have been a fly on the wall). However, I would rather it come out by Barack and Hillary themselves than the media pundits. OBAMA 2008

June 6, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  26. Alain Adunagow

If Obama means what he means by change , he's got an opportunity to show America he can be the President he intends to be when he is voted, and also he could show the world that he can be tough and focused to getting breakthrough results by taking uncoventional routes and decisions.

– Alain Adunagow
    Irvine, CA

June 6, 2008 at 9:22 pm |
  27. Belinda

I am disgusted with some of the statements on here against Sen Obama. If I am not mistaken I think Hillary was ahead in the delegate count before Super Tuesday in February. She wasn't complaining about the votes not being counted then. Doesn't it make sense to any of you that maybe if Sen Clinton really cared about the "votes" she would have complained before she was behind in delegates. Don't you think she would have stood up to the DNC and said "EVERY VOTE MUST COUNT!!" No not her, instead she just sat there and agreed with all the other candidates that they would not campaign in Michigan & Florida.

There is only one reason why she didn't care about the "VOTERS" before Super Tuesday? She thought she would have the nomination all wrapped up with a sweet little bow and Sen Obama would be a thing of the past on Super Tuesday.

Once Sen. Obama got the delegate lead he never looked back. Sen. Clinton however realized she could not even get close to Sen Obama's delegate count without seating Florida & Michigan. Suddenly she hyped up the voters in Michigan & Florida "Every vote must count!." Sen Clinton does nothing unless she can get something out of it. I don't think the DNC is to blame for the delegates not getting a full vote out of Florida & Michigan. The candidates all new going in that the votes for them would not count.

It saddens me that several of Sen Clinton's supporters would rather choose to vote for McCain just to spite the DNC & Sen Obama. In my mind that makes you no better than that which you hate. Voting for 4 years of McCain is sending more young soldiers to die in Iraq and possibly in Iran. The blood of these men will be on the hands of those of you that chose to vote for McCain. You let the anger and hate you have for the DNC and Sen Obama cloud your judgement.

Now in all fairness the press was harsh on her, often to an extreme. Yes she played the race card, and she padded her Bosnia trip with tales of gunfire. This does not mean she should have been raked over the coals. All of you should also keep in mind that Sen. Clinton helped fuel the fires against Sen Obama. She is the one that started the nasty campaigning against Sen Obama. She drove into the ground that Sen McCain would be a better president than Obama. She really ran a negative campaign against Sen Obama.

I just hope that so much of the anger will pass. The country should come before the anger some feel about the Democratic party. We are democrats first and foremost. A true democrat should back any candidate if you like them or not. I would have voted for Sen Clinton had she been the nominee. I would have hated it but the needs of this country come first. Those of you hoping McCain wins in 08 so Sen. Clinton could possibly run in 2012 should think of the harm you may be doing to any future plans she may have of running. If the reason Sen Obama loses is because of all the scored Clinton supporters that migrate to McCain, Sen Clinton will not have the backing. So much can happen in 4 years. I remember I liked McCain in 2000, guess what? This year I don't like anything he stands for.

June 6, 2008 at 9:11 pm |
  28. JC- Los Angeles

Much ado about nothing if not the lifestyles of our leaders; Diane Feinstein "receives" the guests in one of her homes; I'm sure tax payers are picking up that tab as well as the one for the two chairs; it's ironic that Senators and members of Congress can offer the use of a second (or third or fourth) home while one million people in America are losing their homes. Feinstein's home even contained a study; must be nice. The meeting involved aides, caravans and the Secret Service; how about some money for public schools? The American public has been let down by leader after leader. Bush? pathetic; Cheney? please; Greenspan? say what? Wall Street? hilarious; Banks? unfathomable; Mortgage Lenders: crooks. FEMA (Brownie)? you can't make this stuff up. Now we get secret meetings and the possibility of Barack Obama joining the aforementioned list of leaders. Like Don King, only in America can you get a candidate for President like Obama: tangible experience? no. military background? no. Foreign policy background? no. Solid associates? no. How about quality spiritual advisors? no and no. That being said, I'm hopeful the meeting accomplished an awful lot. We tax payers deserve that, Diane.

June 6, 2008 at 8:28 pm |
  29. harvey j. Greenberg

where is John King?

June 6, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  30. JR-T

I think Hillary would do better in another position besides vice-president. I think it would be very difficult for Senator Barack Obama to do what he plans to do if he has Bill Clinton over his sholder and Hillary questioning his experience in any particular matter. Regardless, I think the Democrates will take it for sure. The only card McCain has pulled is the one of his experience. The experience of voting for the war, the experience of having more hate for saddam hussein then love for our children that have died, and finally the experience of the lack of experience for better judgement.

June 6, 2008 at 7:53 pm |
  31. Mary OK

Senator Obama knows he can not win without the Hillary Clinton supporters like me and my friends. However, we feel that Senator Obama is to far to the left and we can not support him. He and his supporters have not been kind or sincere toward us. We will not forget.

Senator McCain gets our vote in November

June 6, 2008 at 7:35 pm |
  32. Aware

Hillary will do the right thing for America, and that takes precedence over a Democratic party that has strayed so far left that it has abandoned Mainstream America. 🙂

No to the extreme left-wing Obama under any circumstances! 🙁

June 6, 2008 at 6:56 pm |
  33. Norma Bell

america wake-up!! i am a 54 yr old black woman. my heart just aches when i hear people say, that white women or hard-working americans won't vote for mr. obama. why not? our military people/family are all bleeding red*all of them the black,white,red,yellow,brown all of them. take off your blinders americans all of us.. our pockets are bleeding green. the republicans are bleeding bull/ what color is that.. america please donot allow pride and pregidice allow you not to vote for mr.obama..i have the same issues as all other americans..illegals took my job.borders need to be more secure..stop this war..if bush/chenney went after bin laden not sadam, i would hgave voted for bush the 2nd time..you are falling for the same color propaganda bush shoved before..the terror alert colors**remember that..the politicians are selling our country..gas high.please tell me that because this man mr. obama is black . americans are are going to continue to send our family and friends and country men to this unjust war..**we as african americans are not* not voting for mr. obama because he is white**i knew in 1995 about illegals / undocumented people were taking our jobs**i knew from the onset that bush/cheney was full of bull**and i know know mr. obama is right for this country..mr. obama is a breth of fresh air. a blessing..all before had or did not have experience . so please tell me this is not about color/race..the world is watching**i will improve my carbon footprint by voting for mr.obama not because he is black/white..but because he is just what the world needs now!!!!!**you voted for bush why for what reason??????

June 6, 2008 at 6:48 pm |
  34. Jan from Wood Dale IL

I'm guessing Obama just wants to know what Clinton is planning on saying during her speech on Saturday. He doesn't want to be caught completely off-guard like he was Tuesday night.

It is a shame that Obama didn't stay in Washington today to reach out across the aisle to help get the Senate's Global Warming Bill passed. But instead, his priorities were to be at a rally in Chicago with the hopes that the city wins the 2016 Summer Olympics bid. Is this "change we can believe in"?

June 6, 2008 at 6:16 pm |
  35. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

A one hour meeting? GEEZ~that's not very much time~ I'm worried!

June 6, 2008 at 6:12 pm |
  36. bernice

A woman that runs on her husband's credentials Is not a Woman for President!!

June 6, 2008 at 6:08 pm |
  37. Rose from Southern Calif

I am a Hillary supporter and glad to hear that Obama and Clinton are getting their heads together. Maybe we can leave the negative campaign behind now. And look foreward to a good fight with McCain in Nov.

June 6, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  38. esbee c.

Now do not go jumping to conclusions

HILLARY never said she wanted Veep.

She very well may-but I will believe it only when I hear it from her.

Maybe O is trying to force Hillary into the Veep. He has a lot more control of her power as Veep than he would if she returns to the Senate.

As Veep she has to support him and she has to help him–in fact since we are talking about O-then as Veep she has to show him how to do everything because he knows how to campaign and that is it.

Gee that sounds like W doesn't it.

Really-O needs Hillary a lot more than she needs him.

June 6, 2008 at 6:00 pm |
  39. Judi Smith

Anderson I believe the reporters are missing the mark on the Hillary supporters! I am one of them that actively supported her I am now angry , hurt and sad. I will not vote for B.O. no matter what Hillary says tomorrow I and many – many of the Hillary supporters like my self will vote republican. There is nothing that she can say that will change our minds either, we are angry at the party! We are angry and hurt that the UN-democratic – democratic party decided that the voters of Florida and Michigan needed to be punished. We went out and voted thinking that we were doing the right thing yet we got punished for it. We would not have voted if we thoughtt that our vote would not count no one told us that. So we are angry about the fact that last Saturday the undemocratic – democratic party those 30 people decided who would become the next democratic nominee. This anderson is the real and true reason that many of Hillary supporters are angry and hurt and feel betrayed by our own party. I am now a republican because I believe that McCain can only stay in office for 4 years due to his age and probably health and the republicans can not do much more damage than what has already been done by president Bush then Hillary can run again and this time if she is treated a little more fairly by the party and the media she will win. p.s. I have nothing against black people but I honestly believe that the U.S.A. is soo not ready for an inexperienced black man to be president remember there is only a black population of around 14% in the U.S.A. Sincerely, Judi Smith = Warren, Michigan = The state that doesn't count!

June 6, 2008 at 5:58 pm |
  40. Jean

Sen.Feinstein perhaps helped in whatever this process Hillary deems necessary to settle her "issues" while she holds the nation captive, sucks the air out of media coverage and certainly has cast a cloud over what should have been a celebration in our nation's history. I'm a 65 yr old white woman who knows what it was to go to segregated schools and have a token black girl in my senior class.
    Sen.Feinstein doesn't help in the healing process, however, when she continues to repeat Hillary's mantra that she won the popular vote. Obama did. Hillary was vido-taped just before the last primaries stating (HER WORDS) she was ahead by 3,000 votes. Obama got 17,000 more overall votes between the last two states. Or is Hillary going to deny him those votes like she did with MI, IA , ME, Guam and one other caucus state that eludes me at the moment. Folks, this is nothing but outright lying.
    How can the Dems defeat the GOP if Obama has to continue fighting Hillary all the way to convention? The truth needs to be told. He won more delegates, more states, more contests AND the popular vote. Just because Hillary spouts off the same lie over and over, folks don't have to believe it. Call the networks, get them to cue up the tape of her saying she was ahead 3000, show the final Tues. nite tallies and unless folks want to believe another fuzzy math plan, or ??? Like the Bosnia tape that surfaced, truth will win out. It is what it is. Not the definition of "is".

June 6, 2008 at 5:50 pm |
  41. Marcia

Could all the controversy that seemed to between the two be blamed on the media, at least in part. Being followed by one member or another of the media 24/7 for the last year or so would make anyone get on edge, especially with all the panel discussions dissecting every word and phrase you use, every gesture you make. So they devised a plan and what happened:

The media was sent on a wild goose chase while these two sat in a living room and talked like two civilized human beings and maybe just maybe decided things. Only time will tell. And I for one can wait.

To all the media take the hint cameras and microphones may look nice, but they don't always get you what you want.

June 6, 2008 at 5:34 pm |
  42. Francesca Elm

I think that Obama and Clinton did this privately because they needed to have an honest conversation about what each of them needed to move forward. i support Obama, but Clinton ran a strong campaign and would have been a fine President. But I think she would be a horrible VP. Hillary should have a role, whether it's Secretary of State, or on the Supreme Court. I think Obama and Clinton needed to make sure they were on the same page and projecting the same message in the press so they would seem more unified. Obama needs to step up while Clinton is stepping down, and some of her supporter are not loyal to democrats, they are loyal to her, and i think it as wise for the two of them to have a meeting of the minds to discuss future plans about what position Hillary should have, and how to make her dedicated supporters vote Obama in the Fall.
    I hope that Obama puts Clinton on the Supreme Court, because i think Bill needs to be out of the White House. He was a wonderful President and politician, but he and Hillary are very dominate and don't want to be second.

June 6, 2008 at 5:32 pm |
  43. barb

Hillary Clinton has more class in her little finger than Obama has in his whole body.She will do the right thing for democrats, without her help Obama will never get too be president. I wonder how many americans will remember this. He may have managed too get enough delegates, but he sure didn't get enough american voters.
    All the delegates want is too jump on the band wagon for their own political careers.
    The democrat's want the public to believe they get along, but I think people see how unrealistic that really is, that's why they slip behind closed doors when the honest democrat's speak their minds in public meetings. If Obama gets to be the president ,it will only be because of Hillary Clinton..........

June 6, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  44. David Elton (Spokane)

I am a McCain supporter ....but I must say that I was more than pleased to see them fool the omnipresent press with a little political bait and switch. The fact that Hillary may or may not be pressuring Obama to give her what she wants is a little troubling. I feel like she is holding him hostage to her demands and it would be nice to see someone say no to Hillary. I doubt Obama has the nads to be bold, but it sure would be nice .......Oh well

June 6, 2008 at 5:18 pm |
  45. Peg Rapp

If there is to be reconciliation, cnn newscasters such as cafferty have got to stop blasting Clinton. They have to stop using words like vanquished, winner, loser, etc. Guess they think they are supporting Obama so Clinton won't take over. Fact is Obama did win, but instead of characterizing Clinton as a "loser" (much as many of your macho reporters would like to), they have to try to portray Clinton as a vital supporter and democratic leader in helping Obama get elected.

Don't forget, white women have always supported civil rights for African americans more than white men in the vote. This sympathy of one group who have fought for their rights for another excluded group is what we have to reconnect, rather than pitting them against one another as one winning and the other losing. Let's allow Clinton and women to perceive themselves as part of the process of selecting the Presidential candidate, and even if their particular candidate did not win the nomination, that they will be part of the leadership moving the democrats forward in winning the white house and that it will still be a win for women in terms of the platform. Just as Obama supporters would have had to do in the past. Of course, non of this can happen if the arrogant macho males(many of whom are on your station) continue to humiliate and put down women's voice (which is still Hillary). Course maybe these guys are not just misogynists but republicans who know perfectly well how their behavior is effecting the election of a Democrat.

June 6, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  46. Maritza

Bill , you sound like a spoiled child that's OD'd on the Obama Kool-Aid , Hillary and the 18 million that voted for her have a legitimate and powerful voice, they will not be ignored in anyway , when the sugar high turns too low , take some time to face the facts and look up all of the experience your candidate lacks , then be an adult and accept reality. might be sooo painful , your hair might even hurt. Conservatives may calm your madness.

June 6, 2008 at 5:11 pm |
  47. Martha

As a Democrat, Women, Senior Citizen, oh and by the way white, I do not believe Hiliary should keep playing on the gender and race ticket for the sake of the party. She has used this prank many times. But while trying to be very subtle the effect it has caused is that all her supposed 18M followers are now experiencing a sour sense of democracy. With her non-acceptance of losing, she has stirred and rallied this mass of 18 to rally behind the Billary ticket. Who in their right mind would believe that Mr. Hillary would not be breathing down and making stating his point of view on every issue and policy that Barack Obama would want to implement. The Billarys would overshadow the change that Sen. Obama could make by having his term over-empowered by the Clinton Clan. They would probably have Chelsea hovering over issues that would help with her effort for the next Clinton Dynasty of @2020. I do not support the idea of the Billarys being VP's under Barack Obamas term.

June 6, 2008 at 5:10 pm |
  48. esbee c.

Bill-there is no Obama without Hillary. Just like there would have been no Bill without Hillary-Bill Clinton

June 6, 2008 at 5:01 pm |
  49. Cindy

I think that it is SO funny that they duped the media by making them think they were meeting at Hillary's house. It was funny seeing the media sitting out there when it was announced that they had the meeting already and it wasn't at Hillary's house!

I bet Bill was inside laughing his butt off at you all! LOL

Cindy...Ga.

June 6, 2008 at 4:47 pm |
  50. Bill

Stop, stop, stop, please! talking about Hillary and let's concentrate on Obama so he can get the job done that we all want him to put in place and get running.

Stop the Hillary/Bill madness! It is nothing but that. Pure madness!

Support for Obama, Obama, and Obama!

June 6, 2008 at 4:39 pm |