June 6th, 2008

Clinton started a new political movement

Marie C. Wilson says America's women are empowered but are not in power.

Marie C. Wilson says America's women are empowered but are not in power.

Marie C. Wilson
Founder and president, White House Project

Respect is a powerful word for women, probably because it's something most of us get far too little of. In a nutshell, that's why Sen. Clinton's fighting stance these past few months has touched a gender chord that has resonated with women everywhere.

Across demographics, women clearly want to see someone fight for their right to be respected. And you didn't have to listen hard to hear Clinton demanding just that for her supporters Tuesday night.

Respect: Forty years after Aretha Franklin scored a hit by demanding it, women are still searching for it, and the undermining role sexism played in this campaign has left many feeling its lack in Clinton's race to the top.

A just-released Pew Research Center poll found that nearly 40 percent of Clinton's female supporters believe that her gender hurt her candidacy.

Read the rest of the blog...

1. Pat M

I'm don't know if it was Hillary's Gender or the Media's unfair coverage of her that hurt her Campaign the most. I believe both played a large part. I don't have anything personal against Hillary or Barack, I do see more positive leadership attributes in Hillary. And I do believe her loss
    will also be a loss for Americans. I do not believe Barack Obama stands a chance of winning against the Republican Machine. And if McCain wins America loses big time.

June 8, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  2. EJ

Again, Hillary makes it all about her! She did a a lackluster job of quickly reading through the parts of her speech that she supposedly endorses Barack Obama and then deliberately took her time and spoke very clearly about her own accomplishments. She is clearly running for 2012 and absolutely doesn't want to see Obama win. She definitely isn't going to "work her heart out " for Obama and the first sign of this was how she waited until Saturday midday to give her concession speech, instead of prime time like she always chose to do when she had important speeches to give about her own acheivements. She and Bill are the epitome of selfish pandering politicians that care only about their own Power and Winning elections. When it was convenient to tout the Black vote they did, when it was the "white working class" they pandered to them and finally when it was popular to run as a "Woman" candidate and claim Sexism, they did that and played to the feelings of White women. All along they never truly cared a bit about any of these constituencies unless they could help them win an election and retain power. The Clinton's and the Bush's are the Political Mofia! Additionally, whatever happened to the most compelling reasons that her supporters should back Obama? The fact that a choice of McCain is one that will hurt Womens Rights, Keep us in Iraq and continue on the track of a failing economy that the Republicans have led us into. Where was that in her "Endorsement of Obama" speech? Cmon she doesn't want her constituents to vote for him, especially if she isnt chosen to run as his VP. She wants to run in 2012 and I hope that all of Barack Obama's supporters remember that and stick together just like her supporters and vote for McCain in 2012! I see now why Republicans hated her and Bill so much! They are selfish, mean spirited, Power Mongers that are great at fooling people into thinking they are sincere!

June 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Amy

A reminder: Barack Obama is not Black. He is bi-racial. Also, for African-Amerians...this is a man who grew up in Hawaii with White relatives. He did not experience the same cultural biases as those who admire him so strongly. Don't fool yourself.

All said, I am absolutely for an African-American leader and certainly one who is as bright as Barack. My concern is for the blatant inequality that was waged against Hillary in the ironic turn of events that were exaggerated by our current need to exercise political correctness. It was okay for the media to destroy every ounce of her character and credibility – unmercifully and cruelly – while encouraging the public to respond in kind to "loaded" questions which added to the flurry of negativilty. I never once saw a "loaded" question asked about Obama. I am still angry about her treatment and will take that into the voting booth.

Shame on all of you who have bought into the media frenzy against Hillary!

June 8, 2008 at 10:09 pm |
  4. Lynn

Your montage and commentary on the 40th remembrance of the death of Robert Kennedy were very much appreciated, but there is the distinct perception that somehow Senator Obama is another RK. Obama is no Bobby Kennedy, nor is he another MLK, or another Abraham Lincoln. He is obviously very much his own person but has yet to reach the stature of any of these men who preceeded him. He is not yet fully defined in the public consciousness.

June 8, 2008 at 9:10 pm |
  5. Ann

Hillary's gender did hurt her candidacy just as Obama's race got him the nomination. This is wrong. She was the more electable and much smarter yet he was 'given' the nomination. Thank God she only suspended her campaign. When everything blows up for him, she will be the nominee. That was a wise move on her part. The media likes to act like us women will vote for him because Hillary says to. But we will NOT. We would rather have McCain anyday!

June 8, 2008 at 8:53 pm |
  6. Spencer

Now lets start another movement, 95% of whites need to vote race in the fall.....

June 8, 2008 at 5:38 pm |
  7. Neva Williams

I don't know where else to put this, but it annoys me to be labeled. I am a 66 year old white woman that voted for Obama. (I do have a college degree, so I guess that part fits). I do not dislike Hillary, but I have a gut feeling about Obama, and he reminds me of the Kennedys. I read his book, and I believe in his honesty, and that he is in touch with the issues at a very basic level.

June 8, 2008 at 5:23 pm |
  8. Victor in Saanich, B.C. Canada

Hilary 'suspended' her campaign. She said out loud on SATURDAY that she wished the occasion had been a victory speech -That would have happened Tuesday!!- in essence she defined herself. The stench of the multiple references to the RFK scenario still ripples across the land. Change is needed and the colour or sex of the candidate should be a nonstarter. THe US 'SIMPLY' can't afford four more Republican years. The appropraie thing to have said was to end her candidacy, free her delegates and call for the unanimous backing of Obama! That would have shown leadership – sadly she failed!

June 8, 2008 at 5:14 pm |
  9. Dr. Sam

I APPLAUD HILLARY'S CONCESSION SPEECH (belated as it was); but disdain her cynical attempt to rewrite history in her favor. In one stroke, she summed up her lost as "because I am a woman." Some of her supporters may believe that, but not dispassionate analysts of contemporary political events–and certainly not Presidential historians. The woman who started out wanting to be like Margaret Thatcher, ended up shouting in our ears about her femininity, and about sexism in American politics. Neither the Clintons nor her stalwart supporters and key operators remembered to give any credence to their own awful misdeeds. No word about a doomed sense of entitlement, Clinton fatigue, the Iraq vote, the underestimation of the Obama candidacy, the negative ads (that included the red phone scare), the lies (e.g., the Bosnia fire), the lack of a consistent message, the racism, the kitchen sink strategy, the class warfare, and more. Not even any word about McCain! Now the push is to put her on the ticket. Blackmail? Only honesty and a thirst for sincere ideals by political leaders can bring real hope for us all. On those, we look to Obama for real change!

June 8, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  10. Dee

I'm a Hillary supporter. Hillary started a movement but it's off track. Hillary supporter feel if the election was stolen. When I saw Obama win 12 contest in a row, won in fundraising and won the superdelegates. I said to my self, it's over. I'm not happy Hillary lost, but he won in all category to win in November. I fought decades for women rights before Obama was on the scene to give up now. I want a Democratic back in the white house.

June 8, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  11. Sheila

I admire Hilary's tenacity. However, I hope that when history is written the truth will be told. Hilary is not the first female to run for presidency. In 1972 Shirley Chisholm was the 1st woman to seek the Democratic presidential nomination. Although, she didn't get very far in her campaign mostly because of her gender same as Hilary, but also because lack of funds. Ms. Chisholm was the first woman to run. Not Hilary. Becuase of Mrs. Chisholm, for me, I knew then that I could be anything I wanted to be in spite of race, gender or discrimination. I congratulate Mrs. Clinton. You've come a long way.

June 8, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  12. Lesley

It is disappointing how Hillary Clinton was NOT gracious to Barack Obama in her Tuesday speech. I also didn't hear her commend him the way she could/should have in her following speech on Saturday. Of course she wants the people to support him now and come together, but I haven't heard her fully acknowledge his depth of wisdom and kindness to her when she was not kind to him.
    I looks like she wants everyone to focus on her, still and what she has done. She could take some gracious lessons from him.
    Much of the media also focuses on her. Even when she IS the loser, they are still all talking about her.

Why not focus on the winner, Barack Obama??? His esteem and stalwardness, his foresight and forgiveness. His past experience with people must be first rate!
    ...Perhaps this is good practice however, for Barack Obama, to prep him for John McCain. I can only imagine the dirty comments that McCain's people are going to throw at Obama, unfairly and unjustly.
    Do you think it's because McCain's people are not able to find much fault with Obama?

Barack Obama, good for you!! I don't see you as a man of colour, but a man of honour and the world is a better place with you in it. I believe you knock the Republican socks off McCain, even more than you knock the nylons off Hillary!

June 8, 2008 at 10:41 am |
  13. Donna R.

I feel that gender played did play a small part in her not winning the nomination. But there were several other factors in play that was her so called down fall. Michigan and Florida moving there dates up and being punished was a big part of this. It turned her win into a non-issue, then there was the media's support of Barack Obama, calling him a rock star which had gotten the young people excited. The media hadn't even taken the time to learn what this man was about. When they did start learning about him, Hillary's ratings went up again. Accusations of the race card being played. The media focusing on Hillary's emotions had shown true gender bias. But with everything that had taken place, she has shown that she was the stronger candidate. After all that was said and done she came out ahead in the popular vote and a very close second to Senator Obama. 18 million people had voted for her, their voices have been heard. She has made history!! So now it is time to move forward, and decide who will be the strongest and most experienced candidate to become the President of a country that is in a very troubling time..

June 8, 2008 at 9:41 am |
  14. deb in az

i really think that her gender did play a role in her not getting the nomination with a lot of help from the media.....why would anyone think a woman could be the president of the united states......i mean our country has been run by men for so many years and look at the state of the country.......the biggest change the country could of taken was to give a woman a shot at it......unite with the democratic party? i have been a democrat all my life and wish to have nothing to do with the democratic party ever again......they and the media have gone out of their way to insult the women of america and i dont really know what it wll take to make it right........

June 8, 2008 at 9:32 am |
  15. trasa

True, there might of been some sexist cander at times and other things, but mostly Hillary lost because her campaign felled her from the beginning. By ignoring caucus states, not finding her voice and what she stood for and other mishaps by her husband ultimately brought her campaign to a close. I personally felt she and mostly everyone else thought she was going to win hands down, but once it didn't look to be that way, she did like most women do, we fight and fight she did. Affortunately it was a little to late. I truly think by ignoring those caucus states really did her in, True they may don't matter in the General Election because the electorates are small but when you are trying to get as many delegates as you can, every bit helps, including in the General when getting to the magic number.

And some of you hillary supporters say the election was stolen and the DNC chose the nominee. Lets review back, when Hillary first got behind from the caucuses she lost, it was all about the superdelegates (which she was counting on and even in the end) and the big states. Then it became about voters rights of MI and FL which I truly hate that debacle turned out the way it did because you guys were cheated by your own representatives in the state. That's who you should be angry with but I guess like women who hate the woman that their man is cheating with and never the man. Anyways, then it was the small/swing states that mattered and finally popular vote in the end. Obama stuck to getting just the number of delegates and in his mind, every state counted as long as rules were being followed. But to give her credit, she did fight hard and do appreciate her endorsing Obama and trying to make some effort of unity.

June 8, 2008 at 7:44 am |
  16. Carol, California

I think all of this feminist crap from Hilary was just another last ditch gimmick that didn't work.

She dropped the "Rodham" from her name when she started her campaign because she thought she was going to ride in to the presidency on Bill's wave – the same way she'd gotten everywhere else. Suddenly she wanted to be known as "Mrs. Clinton" or "The Clintons" – where were all of her feminist ideals then? Why didn't she drop "Clinton" and call herself Hillary Rodham?

I don't know what is wrong with these women who believe that her candidacy is some groundbreaking event. I guess the description of her supporters is true. There have been many women in very high powered positions in the US government. Throughout history there have been many women as Heads of State around the world.

I also don't care for this latest thread that all of us women-folk have been tied to a stove, dressed like those FLDS babes, until Hillary came along and tried to save us. I have never felt like a second class citizen, or felt that I was limited in any way.

My mother chose to join the military in the 1940's during WWII. She was an independent woman, even back then. That is my role model. I don't need a manipulative politician who will use feminism as a campaign slogan.

But that's Hillary's game. She wants to use the feminist card when it suits her. She wants an equal playing field with the boys when she's winning, but when she loses, it's not fair. They're picking on poor little me.

Please stop the excuses.

June 8, 2008 at 1:03 am |
  17. Sue

Can someone tell me how we (America), differ from the countries who have dictators? Don't their politicians decide who will be their next president? We need someone here, another country, to be sure the people’s vote counts. Just like the countries with dictators. This is not the America I grew up in. This is so shameful. Get rid of the delegates all and let the people decide who will be their President.
    It upsets me too, that a person needs experience to get an 8.00$ an hour job, yet you can be President without any experience at all.

June 8, 2008 at 12:57 am |
  18. Kate

I am so proud of Hillary. I am a Hillary supporter and will only vote democratic if she is the Vice President candidate. She is so intelligent, experienced and knows more than Barack about all our concerns. She has 40 years experience as opposed to his few years. He needs her to win.

June 8, 2008 at 12:52 am |
  19. ArleneWW

I was a HRC supporter and must say that I would never vote for Obama. There are to many unanswered questions for me and one is his relationship within Trinity with Rev Wright. Why did the media stop talking about it, why wasn't the media pounding on this. A man who can belong to a church with a Reverend who tears down the United States and makes racist comments and has been a member there for 20 years....no, there is something definitely wrong here. I could never vote for a man like that nor do I intend to. I as many others have given my support now to John McCain and will continue to do so.

June 8, 2008 at 12:04 am |
  20. Brandon

Shame on Obama campain and Cnn News. Who our you trying to fool people?? We know that you have been trashing the Clinton's name from the start of the race. God- Bless Hillary she has proven her self as a fighter and to all the Obama haters dam your compain. Your hate will lead you all to doom. Hillary is a lady and did the right thing always and she will be ok. CNN. news has trashed hillary unfairly for weeks and today they finely give her some good media. CNN has already started yesterday putting down John McCain there on a role now. Just goes to show you how Big Money like Oprah's and rich friends can buy your way into History. You dont fool us and their will never be any unity with dem. party as long as Obama in the show. Obama will not win and he will put his Foot in his big mouth again. All hard working American's will vote for a real leader and if McCain is the only man then will vote for John McCain. Thank-you Haters and raceist.

June 7, 2008 at 11:49 pm |
  21. Andy Heath

It's quite probable that Mrs. Clinton's gender hurt her candidacy. Although it's unavoidable, it's quite ironic that discrimination against employment candidates is illegal on the basis of gender, but we can't avoid this kind of illegal discrimination in the highest political office in our country (or any political office, for that matter.

I applaud Hillary Clinton for her courage and emotional stamina to be able to go through this contest as a woman. Jim Bradford mentioned in a comment on this post that this is a "non-issue," but I beg to differ. I think gender and gender equality at all levels will be an issue for years to come.

Andy Heath
    Phoenix, AZ

June 7, 2008 at 6:58 pm |
  22. Marilyn Miller

The African American man was able to vote before women, so it stands to reason that the first one to get a chance to be Pesident of the United States would be an African American man. I felt that Hillary was the one with the most experience and substance to make a difference. Obama has the ability to fire people up; Hillary has the ideas to know what to do with that energy. In the debates since she was usually asked the question first, she could give solid responses and Barack could accept her answer and add something to gain the advantage. She has been so important in creating policy which he then can use to his and the nation's advantage.
    Hillary needs to be on the ticket to give him the substance to combine with the fire.

June 7, 2008 at 3:11 pm |
  23. TY

I hope that all the democratic voters realized that the polarization of the democratic primaries was due to the fact that we had history taking place simoustaneously .....a woman.....and a man of color......both a defining place in america's history...if either of these candidates were running at separate elections both would win hands down each on their own....but they were both on the same ticket and the same campaign which made the decision difficult for most......voters really had a tough call here i strongly believe as a male we need to let a woman do this thing because 46 elected men have had their chance and also believe that a man of color need an opportunity two show that color does not lead but the ability to lead is what it takes to run this country......to all the democrats i love you and lets get on board for the change....YES WE CAN

June 7, 2008 at 2:16 pm |
  24. Claudia, Houston, Tx

There have been so many reason given as to why Hillary couldn't win and why Obama shouldn't win and I haven't seen a job description for president that fits any of these reasons. Maybe the constitution needs to be rewritten to fit everybodies description for a president.

June 7, 2008 at 2:10 pm |
  25. Mary Shelkey

Hillary Clinton's speech today was a welcome exposure of the ongoing sexism in this country. She courageously forged a path for the next female to break through this final glass ceiling in politics. However, it will not be easy and it will take time. Just note how many women hold key news positions at CNN! I am growing tired of onslaught of white male opinion on Anderson Cooper 360. And while I'm commenting on this, I was dismayed by Anderson Cooper's holier-than-thou interview of Scott McClennan. Cooper states he asks himself every day whether his news reporting is biased. It is so biased that he can no longer see the influence of his white male privilege. Unfortunately I've lost the respect I had for him following Hurricane Katrina.
    Hillary Clinton has exposed the insidious sexism in this country, evident in proportionally lower wages, fewer legal protections, and glass ceilings in all major careers for women. It is something that many people don't want to see or admit. It didn't matter that Obama was African-American. What mattered most and helped him the most is that he is male.

June 7, 2008 at 1:54 pm |
  26. Liane

Hillary Clinton is a fighter. A woman who has fought against the "boys club" for years. It is a sad day, as she is ending her campaign. I have waited for years for her shot at the presidency. The CNN analysts can say all they want they many of her supporters will "change and support Obama" I can tell you I am not one of them. I hate the idea of a predetermined outcome. You could see how it was unfolding at the end. The DNC made a big mistake with Michigan. I feel Obama has been shoved down our throats. I and many others will not change our minds. I hope she fools everyone today and tells the democrats to go to hell! I hope she announces she is leaving the democratic party and is running as an independent! The bigger problem that the democrats are going to have is that John is not your "typical" way right republican, so people who are feeling seperated from the democrats won't have a problem voting for him. GOOD LUCK DEMS!

June 7, 2008 at 12:11 pm |
  27. ELIZABETH

My respesct for the Clintons goes much further than woman or man. They changed for real America. During the Clinton years the country was well recognized and well off financially. I had high hopes that Americans finally get it, and choose the candidate who can actually deliver - America did spoke and more than 18 million voters did choose Mrs. Clinton unfortunately she was not the Democratic Party's choice, or the majority of superdelegates choice due to pressure from Godesses such as Oprah and Caroline Kenedy heldped by media icons, senior corresspondents who gone for the Oprah pressure and delivered the most biased news coverage ever in American history.
    Yes, Mrs. Clinton will have today her concession speach, there are all those biased senior analyst who will cover and switch every word of hers the way Oprah wants them to switch.
    I hope Mrs. Clinton will not go on Oprah to convince woman voters to promote her ideas, and Obama, because I believe at this stage Oprah is needing Mrs. Clinton's support to keep her viewers as much as Obama needs Mrs. Clinton.

June 7, 2008 at 11:36 am |
  28. Patti W

I am a Michigan voter we were not told our votes would not count untill after our election. As far as I am concerned the DNC and the Press have done everything possiable to hurt Hillary. Gender played a big roll for her. The press used it every chance they got. The DNC took our votes and pretty much handed them to Obama. The DNC does not know the meaning of a independent vote. So know what party should we go with? A new party "WE THE PEOPLE" I will never vote for a Rep., Dem., or Indendent. If the people of this country truly wanted change then why do we have another MAN Elec? Boy they've done a bang up job in the last 20 years. So good luck Obama because I think the people of two majar states will leave you behind. The DNC is wrong thinking will all come together. What a joke this whole process has been. I do support Hillary and only Hillary.

June 7, 2008 at 11:00 am |
  29. Lynn

These days have been fast-paced and exciting in terms of the run for the White House and I have followed CNN coverage closely. Love your hard work and for the most part your professionalism... but the one great irritation is the style and thought-processing of some of your pundits. It has been refreshing not to hear or see Gloria Borger for a few days, for instance, who was permitted to monopolize the entire panel on 360 the night Obama accepted the nomination. Her insights to say the least are not astounding and offer very little to the conversation. David Gergen's pompous pontificating on the fact that Hillary Clinton did not hop on the Obama bandwagon that night was indeed overly dramatic and grave. He did not have the information to make the indictment he did on the Senator and today when he admitted that he didnt know how to respond to the fact that many Clinton followers thought the press had treated her badly...I laughed out loud. Look in the mirror. Campbell Brown has improved in not wearing her very obvious annoyance of Hillary on her coatsleeve. Will never forget how she literally yelled at her during the debate at Messiah College concerning some perceived attack on Obama. She seems to have mellowed and this is a good thing since we deserve balanced news. Cafferty announced there were 10,000 emails concerning Obama/Clinton...and for our reading pleasure, he made sure he picked out the ones that threw Hillary under the bus. Nice objectivity there.

June 7, 2008 at 4:22 am |
  30. Barbara-California

Here we are again to the "fuzzy-math issue".....CNN you say that 60% of Hillarys voters say they will vote for Obama in November, .....well, those millions plus the 18 million that did vote for Obama should give Obama a win in November....right?....why would he have to cater to her, why would he after saying "slow down on the VP selection" then meet her when she called his people the very next night?

I think Hillary made some consessions to Obama, and told him she was not asking for the job of VP, that issue is only being pressed by the people on her campaign payroll because they have had a gravy train for almost a years time, spending all kinds of millions....I think she possibly asked for a job to do with the Health area after he is elected in November. I also think she did say.....(maybe honestly this time)....that she would back him even though she wanted to keep her delegates until the convention in August to payoff her dept and pay herself back, ....that is if there is any honesty that she used her own money for her campaign after she had tapped all the poor and welfare and illegals here in the US....

Never count Hillary out, she will always have just one more "trick" up her sleeve, remember who persuaded Adam to eat the apple....Hillary is one of us....and you women who voted for a woman just because she is a woman, better check your conscience; really, next time, vote for the better candidate, it is so obvious who has more class and experience....I give her credit however, she put on a good show at times, but she talked too much "caca de Toro" most of the time to be respected and believed, besides if you are going to wear pants all the time, you had better look the best in them....

June 7, 2008 at 3:51 am |
  31. LAVON K HUMMEL

Blaine , Ann . do you not realize this is not about what you want. or what you did not get, A women in the white house will not difine or promote your or my gender. If you thow your vote away or vote McCain, just because you didn't get what you wanted, and as a result McCain gets in,and as a results my son who is draft age gets drafted. That might be the last bit of this BS I would take. You people must not have Kids. Or care about our inviroment . You must have insurance. You must live in a world where all the natural resource are infinite. This is about millions and millions of people. not about what you did or didn't get. Here is what you need to get . Over it, get over it.

June 7, 2008 at 3:00 am |
  32. Lilibeth

I don't think gender hurt Sen. Clinton's campaign. It was a combination of things...the sniper fiasco, the fact that Sen. Obama's campaign was much more organized and effective than hers, the media's overall negative portrayal of her, etc. Some were her fault and some were not. But her candidacy definitefly paves the way for women in the future. Plus it's not over for her yet. You never know, she may still have a shot at it someday.

June 7, 2008 at 2:16 am |
  33. Angelina

“Only in America” there has never been a woman with experience and caliber for President, “Only in America” there has never been a black man with experience and caliber for President.
    Sexism , Racism, truth is The Obama machine with the internet as their principal tool managed to energize the voters , the bias of the Media against Hillary and The Democratic clan whom opposes and are resentful of the Clinton’s and their successful lives dedicated to the American People . Tuesday she indeed showed that she is of great caliber, demanding Respect for her success ( 18 million votes) and celebrated with dignity
    Obama is a mix of black and white a man of experience and certainly a man of caliber, inspirational and also a convenient truth for the Democratic clan.
    Hillary is a dedicated activist for a better America since a young adult, ample experience, great caliber, but….Hillary will be disaster-prone if she join the ticket and disaster-prone if she does not.
    Perhaps Hillary should not play the 2nd commander but just continue as Senator doing a fantastic job for the American People, support Obama, help the healing and wait to win the Presidency in 2012

June 7, 2008 at 2:13 am |
  34. Gary Chandler in Canada

If you are interested, search the website infoplease dot come 'Women Political Leaders —Historical and Current' or Google.
    There's a fascinating list of 166 female monarchs and elected leaders from historical times up to the present.
    It's actually fun to argue America has had a queen!? While the Queen of Hawaii was deposed before America annexed the territory, President Grover Cleveland commissioned the Blount Report, which concluded that the overthrow of Liliʻuokalani was illegal.
    That was never enforced, but meant that there was de facto monarchy.
    In 1993, a joint Apology Resolution regarding the overthrow was passed by Congress and signed by President Clinton, apologizing for the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom. This means the monarchy of Hawaii was never legally overthrown, America has had a succession of queens in Hawaii?

June 7, 2008 at 2:03 am |
  35. Raymond Duke Texas

You are absolutely correct. I may be a country boy and an indepedent but I was thoroughly disgusted by the sexist remarks about hillary clinton and her female voters. The bais by the media was sickening . I may only have a four year college degree and not making 3or 4 hundred thousand dollars a year to amke the liberal democrat supposedly Obama supporter but I am smart enough to know sexism, racism and media bais when I see and hear it. I have voted republican as much as i have voted republican so ther is really no party that i vote in lock step with. Hillary Clinton may be a woman but she was more qualified then either of them yahoo's who got the nomination. Myself amd my family of four would have voted for her if she hadn't been shafted out of the election. She was shafted by a baised media ,cnn and msnbc in particular. I hope that Hillary does not accept the vp slot if offered to her. She is to good for that. I think she should run as an indepedent . She would easily win the election. I don't know how many men have told me how they thought she was degraded> Even my republic friends commented on it. If women vote for Obama even with Hillary on the ticket they are setting women back another fifty years. I have two daughters and I wouldn't want them treated that way. They can treat them tough but I expect fairness. I know as my family is classifed as nothing but women and as blue collar racist by the media and the Obama group and ythe democrat leadership this family was converted from indepedents and democrats to life long republicans instead of the best canidate . We have enough pride to say we will not vote for that party"Obama" and be told what to do by the media. If other people feel this disgust towrd their sexist and racist remarks and punish the democrat party it will maybe again be for all people no matter what their gender is..

June 7, 2008 at 1:40 am |
  36. Rosie

There is much confusion as to why Sen. Clinton did not win the Primary, and the question was asked: "What went wrong?"
    First let me say, to all the lovers of this country, that many are casting blame upon the Media, while some are persecuting Obama, when neither is to blame for this loss. Obama was not her opponent, only a stand-in for the real Opponent.
    Space will not permit me to write these scriptures; so I'll tell you where they are found: [1st Corinthians 11:3; Proverb 31:3; and Matthew 24:35.] After you have read these scriptures, and come to understand them, you will know what went wrong. You will also know that we, the people, of all creed and color, owe Obama a debt of gratitude; for he did not just make history, but made it possible for America to make more history.
    So to the women, I say, let us take heed to ourselves, that our desires not force God to destroy the earth, as Eve forced him to evict them from the Garden of Eden. After you have studied these scriptures, you will understand why I've sent this message to women, and will also know that it's not an act of discrimination.
    Let me close with these words; this Primary was larger than Obama, but he weathered the storm. I hope you will put aside your anger and misjudging, and join me as I say, Thank you Obama: I am so glad you were born!

June 7, 2008 at 1:29 am |
  37. Laurel

I really pity American women and their post-feminist rhetoric that is not only pathetic but sad. I am a Canadian and we have women running for women all the time, even third world countries have had female presidents. Don't blame Obama or the media for what has happened, Let me tell you something. Clinton is no feminist, she is NOT...representative of any of that...she is a poster child for the dreams of women and I feel sad for her. Her husband, her war policy, and her behavior caused her to lose this election. She told lies, she made somewhat bigoted remarks when some black guy out of nowhere beat her. She is the embodiment of the all the girls I hated in High School I am for one a feminist that is happy to see the end of her. Nancy Pelosi now there is a feminist.

June 7, 2008 at 1:14 am |
  38. Rosemary

Yes, I do belief that gender played a part in Senator Clinton's candidacy. The media would often refer to Obama as Senator Obama and Senator Clinton as Hillary like they were friends of hers. They sure weren't friends of Senator Clinton's. I have never seen such bias. They would never say the comments that were made about Senator Clinton had she been a man.
    The DNC and the media helped Obama get the nomination. Neither candidate had enough pledged delegates to get the nomination. Don't think that the people elected Senator Obama. He was given the nomination by the super delgates. I believe that this was planned the minute Obama declared his candidacy. David Gergen is quiet now because he no longer needs to get excited about Obama and make negative comments about Senator Clinton.

June 7, 2008 at 1:06 am |
  39. Jim bradford

It is a none issue ! It is history ! Let the press focus on something new.. Like where do we go from here ? I know there is a lot of air time to fill but you need to put something in like , What is Bush going to do the next 7 months ,If anything ? He is still president maybe he can get Chainy to give some of his oil salary to the needy !! What does he still earn ? 2-Million a year or so ?? Good thing he didn't give up his day job to be vice-pres.

June 6, 2008 at 11:43 pm |
  40. Blaine McCartney

Ok I'll change my mind I guess it took a few minutes to think about it. I still think Hillary would do a good job with all the years she has in the White House already. I really do think that Bill done a great job. I believe we need a Demacrat in the worst way so we need to listen to Hillary tomarrow and see if she wants us to get behind him. I will do it if she wants.

June 6, 2008 at 11:27 pm |
  41. Blaine McCartney

I would like to see Hillary on the ticket. I didn't get what I wanted so if I can at least vote for Hillary in the General Election than so be it. I also will not vote if she is not on the ticket for Obama. I'm trying to understand him but for now I will vote for my first Rep. Pres. Ever. I also have a lot of respect for Bill Clinton.

June 6, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  42. Demi

I will be very disappointed if Hillary concedes to Obama. I suspect she has no alternative choie unless she wants to become an independent. However, the media, the Democratic party as well as most of your guests are horribly wrong if you believe that those of us who supported Hillary are going to run on over to Obama. Let's make it clear; thousands perhaps millions of us while women wish to protect America and fell little or no honor to unit the democratic party. Obama is not fit to be president either by experience or association. David Gergen just said the countries all over the world will cheer because an "african president has been nominated in the USA". Boy, I'd like to know what he is drinking. The countries that are cheering about Obama are Muslim strongholds in the middle east. In fact, they lined the streets with joy. Think about it. If you still have a brain left. I am not taking this position against Obama through email information. Most of it is accurate, but I did my own very indepth research and there are worse associations to consider and worse problems yet to surface. Obama is dangerous for America. He is a political opportunist of the worst kind and is as dirty a politican as we have ever seen. No vote for Obama here, ever and will not rally behind the dem party either. Even if Hillary becomes the VP, I will not vote Obama. I belong to a growing group of women against Obama and it is growing and being fuled by the racist attacks and unfair nomination of this man.

June 6, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  43. Gary Chandler in Canada

whoops I forgot Cleopatra

June 6, 2008 at 9:55 pm |
  44. Gail

I do not think that Hillary's sex hurt her, she hurt herself by behaving the way she did. Her comments, attitude, lies, mismanagement of her campaign, demanding that Michigan and Florida be seated after saying they would not count, not congratulating Obama when he won the most delegates, all of these things made her look bad to me. I think most of us can look past race and gender, we have a harder time looking past dishonesty and fuzzy math.

June 6, 2008 at 9:46 pm |
  45. Gary Chandler in Canada

Clinton started???
    I sure hope Margaret Thatcher, Benazir Bhutto, Kim Campbell, Jenny Shipley, Golda Meir, Indira Gandhi, Sirimavo Bandaranaike, Elisabeth Domitien, Maria de Lourdes Pintasilgo, Mary Eugenia Charles, Gro Harlem Brundtland, Milka Planinc, and the THREE dozen other women who, from 1945 on, have held the highest positions of their countries follow Clinton's lead?
    Truth be told, Clinton has started something 'only in America.'

June 6, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  46. Kent Fitzsimmons,Illinois

McCain did it to gain Hillary supporters who would want her to run in 2012...........sorry.......just thinking too much about this year.

June 6, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  47. Kent Fitzsimmons,Illinois

Listen.............I am very much a supporter of Obama.........but....

Had he NOT been in the race, I would of overwhelmingly supported Hillary Clinton. Obama supporters would of supported Hillary had she been nominated by the Democrats to be their nominee. We would of backed her whole heartedly............

It is NOT Obamas fault that the media supported Obama bigtime.....and they did. But, now is the time to support Obama. McCain came out and said he was to be a one term President for one reason only. He did it to gain Hillary supporters who would want her to run in 2008. Women..............McCain is NOT the answer. Democrats Unite!!!!!!!!!

June 6, 2008 at 9:36 pm |
  48. Annie Kate

I do think Hillary's sex hurt her candidacy. The media seemed to pick on her more, examine her mistakes more, and describe her and her activities with adjectives that were negative. Obama though could do just about anything and it either wasn't his fault or we were told we shouldn't hold it against him – too bad Clinton didn't get the same treatment. This treatment was so obvious to my family and friends that we nicknamed Obama the "Teflon man" – because all the negative stuff just slid right off him, usually onto Clinton.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 6, 2008 at 9:26 pm |
  49. Beth

I do not believe that Hillary's gender hurt her candidacy. I think her refusal to admit that her vote for the war in Iraq or her inventive memories of dodging sniper fire and other exaggerations hurt her candidacy. She wasted a golden opportunity to raise the bar–instead she sunk below it. Even as late as Tuesday night she had an opportunity to show grace and dignity–instead she dissed Obama and his supporters. Hillary had the 'fresh face' of politics. She blew it.

June 6, 2008 at 8:55 pm |
  50. Cindy

Did her gender hurt her candidacy!? I don't think so. I think it was a poorly run campaign and a husband that couldn't keep his mouth shut.

Saying gender hurt her campaign is like saying race hurt Obama's and he is the nominee.

Cindy...Ga.