June 5th, 2008

Obama can reach Hillary's loyalists

Lisa Witter
Author and COO, Fenton Communications

The news cycle is buzzing with questions about how Obama can woo many of the 18 million Senator Clinton voters who had their hearts broken on Tuesday. It’s important to know that they weren’t just upset for Hillary, they were upset for themselves. Many saw Senator Clinton’s fight as their fight. Many people saw her tenacity and wished they would have had it when they lost a promotion or job because of their gender. Many saw her outcome as theirs. This loss runs deep.

On Saturday, when Senator Clinton suspends her campaign, we need to listen closely to what she says and how she says it. I’m confident that if Senator Clinton fully and sincerely endorses Senator Obama with her heart and her head he’ll not only be able to capture back many of these disillusioned women, but they will become evangelicals for him.

However, he’ll need to take note of some of the truths about women’s lives and the values women hold dearest. Here’s how:

Women value community and connection.

So, Obama needs to:

• Activate Obama’s women supporters to reach out to Clinton supporters and have open and respectful one-on-one conversations about why Obama will be good for America's women. (When you connect women to each other you strengthen your “brand”).
  • Opt for campaign events at small scale venues, instead of large stadiums, to connect more intimately. (For example: town halls, union halls, community centers, etc.)
  • Talk more about his mother and the role she had in his life. He was raised by a strong, single mother who had an enormous impact on his life. Women want to see him as a real person, not just a politician. Talking more about his mother will go a long way.
  • Frame his policies and principles as from the perspective of a husband and a parent of two small girls. Women respect a family man.

Women like to feel part of a movement –they draw on their movement allegiances and want to see women in leadership positions.

So, Obama needs to:

• Get high profile Clinton supporters to endorse Obama very publicly as soon as possible – Gloria Steinem, Geraldine Ferraro, Madeline Albright, etc.
  • Give a seminal speech on gender much like the one he did on race. Ellen Goodman suggested this and wrote a beautiful version last weekend.
  • Have a private meeting with Clinton and leaders of the women's movement to talk about how women will be prominent in his campaign.
  • Commit to 1/2 of his cabinet being women. Why not have his advisors reflect the gender make-up of the country? This would show Hillary supporters that he understands the importance of women’s leadership in his inner-circle.

Women have a strong predilection for empathy.

So, Obama needs to:

• Continue to communicate the need for change and do it with optimism. If he starts attacking McCain it could really turn off women voters. He needs to communicate his refrain on hope.
    Always be gracious to Senator Clinton. He must never ever do or say anything disrespectful of her.

Obama’s having trouble reaching women over 35, and 80% of women over 40 have children.

So, Obama needs to:

• Communicate that he understands that women are often the main caregivers in the family and that they are struggling to work, be mothers and often take care of their parents. He needs to communicate that he understands that this economy is tight for American working families and that women, as 83% of consumers, are forced to make the tough purchasing decisions: gas or food; which soap works best watered down; what medication cant they do without, etc.
  • Go on a women/mother’s listening tour.
  • Continue to use the Web as an organizing tool for women. More women are online and blog than men are so his internet outreach is key. Women are also twice as likely to pass on information – he can continue to use the web to help raise money and spread the word. Women are key to his viral success.
  • Make being involved in his campaign easy.
  • Update his Web site to be reflective of women. He should have prominent women endorsements, photos of women and of real people.

I hope that the Obama campaign wakes up every day thinking about the women’s vote. Women have turned out in higher numbers than men in every Presidential election since 1960. They are the key to this election.

Editor's note: Lisa Witter is co-author of  The She Spot: Why Women are the Market for Changing the World and How to Reach Them, and Chief Operating Officer of Fenton Communications which represents various public advocacy organizations.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. todd

CNN get your facts straight. There may be some supporters of Clintons voting for Obama but it is limited . I, myself, A Clinton supporter will be voting for McCain. Reasons why?
    Your station was biased on every topic concerning Clinton during the primaries.
    Obama doesn’t have enough experience and is not qualified.
    Obama is gives a good speech. He runs around every question with a rendition of we want change. What kind of changes? How can he bring peace and harmony when he doesn’t know what it is? Maybe , he will confer with Rev. Wright when he needs to clarify what peace and unity means.
    DP short changed Clinton. It was obvious that they wanted her out early.
    DP doesn’t have any allegiance anymore.
    There is a thing of being too conservative and too liberal . Obama is way too liberal. Almost a joke!
    His wife didn’t seem to care for Americans until now.
    Did I mentioned that your show and your station was very biased. That was so unfair.
    The majority of African Americans voted for their race instead if issues. Now, you define what racism is.
    Racisms goes both ways but you guys just saw it one way because you were too cowardly to mentioned how racism played a part in this election. Bad , Bad, jounalism. At it’s worst! However you pointed out everything that Senator Clinton said or done as being negative. Even though some of my best freinds are black, this was some of the worst racism I’ve seen in a long time. So , we are not getting anywhere in this country. We are more divided now than ever. The African Americans would not vote for Clinton because she was a white woman. Even her supposedly one time supporter, Oprah was racist to an extent. Shame on you all. You all are cowards!

June 6, 2008 at 12:35 am |
  2. Adrian

I started out not knowing who I would vote for out of Hillary and Obama. I decided to vote for Obama when Hillary seemed to be vocusing on herself than the Democratic Party. I think many have blogged that the Obama supporters have said nasty things about Sen. Clinton and her supporters. I see it as total frustration w/ how Hillary has acted out, and not tried to bring the party together. To those who say they can't vote for Obama and his "policies" that were supporting her OBVIOUSLY have not done their research to know their policies are essentially the same. To those who said he has nothing to offer and doesn't know anything, again, they haven't been keeping up. Also, his associations are not what people tried to make the out to be. Honestly, we don't know enough about Hillary's and "McSame's" associations, especially spiritually (which strongly matters to me). I've researched Obama's TRUE religious beliefs (not what the media say they are), and strongly believe he is a Christian, as I am. To those who say he needs to respect Hillary; again, they have not been paying attention. It is he who has been more than gracious to her; she unfortunately has not returned the favor. To assume all 18 million who voted for her would not vote for him is incorrect. I was one who could have gone either way, and know MANY (and I do mean many) who voted for her, but are now supporting him. Finally, I would say to her supporters if you REALLY would be honest w/ yourself, and if you TRULY believe in the issues she stood for, there is NO WAY you can vote for "McSame", who DEFINITELY don't share her values. To say, she didn't make it so I'm voting for "McSame" is INSANE. Threats to do that is not the answer.

June 6, 2008 at 12:34 am |
  3. Pat M

Gary Chandler your comments must embarass Canadians. Family Values, One Full Day a Week to spend with Family? Maybe you spend the time you use here with YOUR family! What really confuses me is how CNN allows you to post not once but many times on one blog subject while rejecting comments from people who actually have something to say that make sense!

June 6, 2008 at 12:31 am |
  4. Alex

During this Primary campaign, I have definitely learned one thing about the Democrat Party, the DNC runs the show and even picks who they want. They flat out eat their own! Its not the voters who make the decisions for sure and they carefully make sure it comes out their way and then use the catch all, "Party Unity." Hillary definitely came out on the short end of this deal, but the Democrats obviously had more to gain by trashin her. I'm sure she'll get something but it ain't gonna be the VP spot cause that would only be a nightmare in the making and they'd never get anything done. And imagine this...the Republican actually had nothing to do with this one. Amazing how politics works sometimes.

June 6, 2008 at 12:25 am |
  5. Nadine

From the very beginnning I have been an "Obama" supporter!! And I am still supporting him.. But let's be honest here.. He needs Clinton to make the desired effect in this campaign.. He is a very good candidate,.. He is even brilliant, but it is clear that he is weak with a portion of the population that Clinton controls pretty much.. Who do you think is going to help him win the votes he needs? Carolyn Kennedy (without disrespect/) ? That impopular governor they talk about? Let's be real.. It has nothing to do with popular pressure... It has to do with realities.. Obama needs to be that SAMRT HARVARD GRADUATE now, and make that decision.. And that RIGHT DECISION is a Barack Obama- Clinton Ticket for November 2008.......

June 6, 2008 at 12:23 am |
  6. Debby Rundell

No, Hillary Clinton should not be VP candidate. Obama is about change and she is not a change. Wish somehow someone could calculate how many votes Clinton got over primaries were "mischief makers" or women who clearly wanted to vote for a woman and emotionally had to vote for a woman in primary season. These women have to flock to Obama or they are totally hypocrites who falsely claim to care about womens' issues.

June 6, 2008 at 12:14 am |
  7. Pat M

I find it amazing that some reporters like Lisa not only know what a Candidate's words, tone, and compassion will bring forth through others but also knows what the Democratic Nominee has to do first, second and third to win the Hearts of Women Voters!

What a shame these reporters couldn't have acquired a position with the Bush Administration. Americans wouldn't have had to suffer the devastation of the past eight years!

I hope Obama copies and pastes Lisa's So Obama Needs to's four steps that lead to victory with the Female Population!

June 6, 2008 at 12:03 am |
  8. Keisha-Brookly, NY

Why is everyone so eager for Obama to fold by announcing that he will ALLOW Hillary to be on his ticket (as VP or in any other capacity)? Would we have expected Hillary or any other candidiate to announce who their VP would be TWO days later???? Like it or not Hillary lost and the four delegates from Florida did absolutely nothing for Obama's accomplishments. I'm willing to bet that he would've won more that four delegates had his name been on the ballot. We are witnessing history for both Women and African Americans. Hillary lost my supoort when she lied by alleging that she and Chelsea were dodging bullets in Bosnia. Hillary's emotions tend to overshadow her actions. Yes, America is ready for a woman President; just not Hillary. I will feel much safer "when my telephone rings at 3am" knowing that my nations leader is not gonna respond in haste, but respond in a rational manner. I live in NYC and Hillary has done nothing for NYC therfore I have no confidence that she will a change agent in the White House.

Obama is totally ready for McCain, infact that US is ready for change!!Our weakened nation's economy is being felt by democrats, republican and independats. The US dollar has dropped to less that 0.73 to 1; if that doesn't motivate us to stand up for progressive change that what does??? So, for those who have decided to switch party lines to spite Obama, just realize that you are diminshing the progress of our underproducing and overconsuming country....

June 6, 2008 at 12:01 am |
  9. Deb

I would hope that Obama selects Hillary as a Vice President. I have not heard one very good reason to why not to include her. To think that it would undermine his authority is not a reasonable argument. Obama seems to be a very good candidate, speaker, and charismatic; if adding her to the ticket would somehow undermine him, than I would be more concerned with his own abilities as a leader. One concern I have is that I may not be familiar with another candidate and to introduce a new candidate may require convincing for my approval. Another candidate may bring on new or unexpected issues, at least with Hillary she has been through many hurdles, dragged through the mud, I know where she stands, and I expect there is nothing new to introduce that would convince me not to vote for her.

One of the most important topics in this election personally, is access to health care. I carry an individual health insurance policy for my family that is three times as much as my house payment. To get a policy from work, it was almost four times my monthly house payment. Unfortunately there are risks with an individual policy resulting in fear of receiving care for anything because it may be used to increase premiums or deny coverage. I am not alone. Knowing that Hillary had attempted to make insurance available before makes me hopeful for future success. I would be more influenced to vote for Obama and Clinton because it would mean to me that there is a good chance for a change in the current health system. I work in the human service field and I am currently working on a Masters degree. I am very familiar with the number of issues that need address with the economy and education. There is a real need to allocate our money in our own country at this time and that means timely ending the war spending oversees. I have recently registered Democratic, but, I have yet felt strong enough or educated enough about any election or candidate to vote, even when it was my time to vote in this primary. After following the months of intense coverage, though, I feel educated enough about these two candidates and would vote if Obama and Clinton were on the ticket together. I cannot guarantee the same for Obama and another candidate. The Vice President may not be viewed as a powerful position, but it is important to remember in times of a terrible crisis or unfortunate events, a Vice President is next in line. I would want to have as confidence in who I voted in as Vice President as well as the President.

June 6, 2008 at 12:00 am |
  10. Jacob Muddin

Yee, Of such little faith!!! I think Obama is going to do just fine. Some of you forget he beat the presumptive nominee Hillary Clinton. Everyone though she would win so I thnik he can do the only question is will he in time for the election. Or is it a little , a little too late?

June 5, 2008 at 11:56 pm |
  11. Jasper

In defending his contention Barack Obama communicate soon to Hillary Clinton she won’t be V.P. Ed Rollins said Ronald Reagan stopped discussion regarding having Gerald Ford as his running mate early in the process. What is Mr. Rollins talking about? The Reagan/Ford drama dominated the 1980 Republican convention in Detroit. It was as 11th hour as they come. How can this be the basis for Mr. Rollins’ idea Obama take Clinton out of it now? I suggest he might want to rethink that one.

Jasper

June 5, 2008 at 11:55 pm |
  12. Rosemary

I just reread my comment and realized that I had a typo in the second reference to media as well as a mistake in what I wanted to say. The media and DNC both wanted to nominate Senator Obama not Senator Clinton.

June 5, 2008 at 11:51 pm |
  13. bernice

The millions of Clinton supporters go suck egss. There are 100,000 million people in the USA. YOu are just a ripple in time.

June 5, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  14. Mad

"I see democrats largely remaining Democrats and the vast majority voting the party and Senator Obama.
    I believe also the prospect of some HRC supporters voting McCain is unlikely but a small minorty will do so. But equally so I think Obama can attract some republicans". The Obamacrat’s pipe dream. They're so much like their leader- clueless. The Republican's are laughing at you, just wait till November.

June 5, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  15. Blairwood

Watching your guests discuss the veep whether or nots. It's interesting how they think that Hillary's supporters (like myself) will just simply vote for Obama in November. Not on your life. I am a white, professional woman of 57. Your 'politcal strategists' don't make my political decisions for me – but rather make me angrier about how the electorate elected Obama – not the populous. Without Hillary as the Vice President – my vote will go to the sickly and dreadful Republican party – because there isn't another choice. Tell that to your "strategists" – WE make up our own minds. Lastly, Obama says he needs time to select the "best candidate". How stupid. There is only one.

June 5, 2008 at 11:45 pm |
  16. Dorothy

Everyone is talking about Hillard 18 million how many million did Obama get. How quick have we forgotten when Obama was leading in the votes Hilliard was depending on Super Delegates and she was counting on them and not the 18million.
    Any one go over to Republican because they dont wont to vote for Obama. Because he has no experience HA!Ha! See what shape we are in with experience. Experience has got us in war, High gas prices,no jobs and etc. that can of Experience we can do without.
    No Hillard for VP we need NEW.

June 5, 2008 at 11:41 pm |
  17. Cheryl Greene

Hello Anderson!
    This is my first time on your blog. Yes, I think Obama will obtain some of Hillary's followers because people have already stated that they will vote for Obama. However, it's early and the people who don't want to vote for Obama will not, and will use Hillary's lost as just an excuse not to vote for Obama. Unfortunately, those that choose to vote for McCain because of Hillary's lost will only perpetuate the sinking of our nation with the same policy and administration of Bush. In reading some of the blogs it appears that older white females feel that the Democratic party has disenfranchised them, due to the rules being broken. It's so unfortunate that some people in our nation refuse to deal with the consequences of a wrong action and take accountability, but they will literally take their ball and go home when things aren't going their way.

June 5, 2008 at 11:39 pm |
  18. Renee Seeley

We the people feel that Obama is just another Bush. Stealing votes is the Bush Way. To win caucuses by bussing in college students and his church friends is cheating the Bush Way. We the people (women) are tried of being cheated of our voice. Women are as human as men and as American as men. We want a equal say for once. This is the American Way, the right way.

June 5, 2008 at 11:38 pm |
  19. Jean

To me this is not just about being female. I am a 69year old African American woman and I see women as independent thinkers not blind fwollowers of any person or some presumed leader. WE ARE FREE LADIES!!!!!!! WE ARE NOT DUCKS.

I AM LOOKING FOR A LEADER THAT I THINK WILL WORK WITH THE ECONOMY, WITH WHATS BEST FOR THIS COUNTRY, CHANGE HOW THINGS WORK IN WASHINGTON, AND EDUCATION FOR ALL AMERICANS.

I THINK WE ARE WASTING TIME REHASHING WHAT IS APPROIATE FOR OBAMA TO DO IN MOVING FORWARD AND HOW HE MUST APPEASE HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!

I AM NOT ANGRY WITH HILLARY JUST THE IDEA THAT PUNDITS CANNOT THINK OF MORE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS AND HOW I HAVE ALLOWED MY SELF TO BE ENSALVED BY THE MEDIA LOOKIN FOR SOME INSIGHT!!!!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE ASK SOME INFORMATIVE QUESTIONS FROM ALL CANIDATES, WE NEED THESE ANSWERS.

June 5, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  20. Loren Cody, Wyoming

Hilary and Barack would be an unbeatable team as long as they do not get too socialistic along the way.

With the two of them directing foriegn policy, a revamp of our approach is necessary and we need to quit pandering to Isreal. The Arab nations of the world have a legitimate complaint and we as a nation need to recognize this fact. Until the nations of the world settle the conflict between the Palestinians and Isreal, there will be trouble in the middle east.

June 5, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  21. cindy white, washington

No to Hillary as VP he should not cave in to her pressure if he does she'll come off stronger then her. he must show his independence after all that's what he ran on change and independent. people are attracted to him because he seems to be his own person hillary would be always upstaging him and not to mention bill clinton i can't even imagine DC with both those couples in the same town.

June 5, 2008 at 11:36 pm |
  22. esbee

Come on

Seriously....Caroline Kennedy.....get real. Although you are probably right--gee I guess if you have got enough money you can buy yourself anything.

Hey I have got a better ticket....Kennedy/Hilton.....American Royalty.

June 5, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  23. miranda

We Hill supporters are angry that the MEDIA has hand picked and shoved Obama down our throats!!

"THANKS TO THE MEDIA...WE MAY LOSE IN NOVEMBER!!"

We Hill supporters are angry that alot of wet behing the ear 20 somethings are disrespecting a Woman that has spent her life trying to ensure that our life is better!!

I have been surprised @ how offended and angry I get.....when people jump on her.... and how strongly I defend her!!
    It is because She is a wonderful person who faught hard for us....American's. WE ALL OWE HER THE UTMOST RESPECT!!

-Miranda

June 5, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  24. Rosemary

As a Senator Clinton supporter, I do not want her to be on the ticket as a VP candidate because if Obama loses, the media will blame her for it as they have blamed her for everything else. I minored in journalism in college and was taught how to be objective; however, there has been no objective reporting throughout this campaign. No, Senator Clinton should NOT agree to be the VP candidate. If he goes down, let him go down on his own. She has been criticized enough.
    It was evident after Iowa that the midia and the DNC both wanted to nominate Senator Clinton. There was nothing fair about this election. It was not democratic. It is time to do away with super delegates and let the people elect the person to represent them.
    Yes, I am an angry, older woman who has been around long enough to recognize bias and unfairness when I see it.

June 5, 2008 at 11:33 pm |
  25. Bill Montag

DON'T KID YOURSELF... NO PARTY UNITY: A JFK Democratic Party Loyalist says NO Party unity for Obama: If Senator Clinton wants the VP slot, she better get it or Obama faces a bitterly divided party reflected in the following poll:
    Do you think the Democratic Party will be united in November?
    No 42%
    I'm not sure 10%
    Total Votes: 309,955

I will be among of the many disaffected Clinton supporters–stung by the DNC's Michigan-Florida delegate allocation fraud–who will not vote for Obama...even if it means a victory for the loathsome GOP. Obama better work hard to unify the Party or he will crash and burn in November. Coming soon?: "Clinton Demos for McCain." This is not a threat...it's a promise.

June 5, 2008 at 11:31 pm |
  26. KeArt Info

I have one question which confuses me, why are Clinton keeping her delegates? If she really wants to show party unity and not shake up the possibilities of an African-American being elected, why not through her hat in and support the process. It seems she's extorting him for something? VP, Attorney General, Supreme Court? What?

June 5, 2008 at 11:30 pm |
  27. Zane Thomas

I would strongly urge everyone to to register Independent. Both parties have lost their minds and the only way to get our country back is to abandon the two party system. The Republicans sold the country down the river and the Democrats are paddling upstream without a paddle.

June 5, 2008 at 11:29 pm |
  28. Curt W

Lisa Witter I want you to know that I appreciate you falling into the party line, but you are missing the point. Read these messages, what does the majority tell you? Me, I'm a protestant.

June 5, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  29. LAN

The thought of Obama being president is frightening. I recall the disasterous terms of JFK and Carter who were, to my recollection, the worst presidents of the US. Both Presidents were inexperienced in politics and certainly out of their league in the circles of the White House, military, foreign policies, home security, etc... as is Obama. Hillary would be taking a step (big step) down to put herself in the position of V.P. with a leader who will in all probability fail.
    I would not vote for Obama under any circumstances. Those voters of this country with the nievity and lack of political knowledge who support Obama are setting this country up for a leader who has not proven himself in a position more important than the greatest corporation in the world of which they wouldn't even consider puttting an unaccomplished, inexperienced leader at the helm.

June 5, 2008 at 11:24 pm |
  30. Nader Vakil

Uniting the Party in the Old-Fashioned Way - Coalition

George Lakoff, in his classic work "Moral Politics", has analyzed the ways in which Liberals and Conservatives differ in their unconscious worldviews, and the recent race for the Democratic Party nomination has revealed that a similar division exists among the Democratic voters - about thirty-five millions have voted with almost half for Obama and the other half for Hillary. And there is much evidence to support the claim that this state of affairs is more a consequence of how each of these two groups of the Democratic voters think than the character and policies of the person for whom they have voted.

In similar recent races both in the case of the Republican nomination (Ford/Reagan) and in the case of the Democratic nomination (McGovern/Muskie) the respective nominee was defeated in the general election.

Clearly, the circumstances that have helped Obama to be where he is now are very different from those he will need to deal with in November. So he has an enormous responsibility now. His failure is the failure of the Party. Does he really have what it takes to unite the Democrats? Or is his talent limited to his effectiveness in exciting some of us about certain desirable prospects? Indeed, since the new minds that he has to win are not susceptible to the kind of talks that has conquered the minds of those other Democrats, he needs to appeal to other well-tested political strategies such as coalition.

Under such circumstances, it is incumbent upon all the leaders of the Democratic Party to set aside their personal preferences and adopt whatever strategy that has the promise of being most effective in uniting the Democrats. Incompetent abstract reasoning (such as those made by media pundits) should be avoided, and only the best tested political strategies should be employed.

I would not be at all surprised if Hillary were genuinely uninterested to be Obama's Vice President. Therefore I regard her statement that she's open to being Barack Obama's Vice Presidential choice as an act of putting her personal preferences aside in order to provide Obama with an opportunity to adopt a well-tested political strategy (namely, coalition) for uniting the Party.

June 5, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  31. Alan

Views from Canada

Obama better watch what he eats or drinks tonite when at Clintons heheh
    Better have a food tester.

June 5, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  32. Rose Jean Goddard

Bringing the party together – This is Obama's first important test of his judgment and his ability to bring harmony out of chaos – that finding-middle-ground talent. I have every faith that he will choose wisely and the outcome will be astonishing and yet very appropriate.

June 5, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  33. Frances

Barack Obama should place Hillary Clinton as Secretary of Health , Education, and Welfare, –so she can devote her energy to reforming healthcare.
    I also think eh whould name Colin Powell as Secretary of Defence,===which gives him military expertise, as well as being very inclusive by including a republican in his administration.

June 5, 2008 at 11:22 pm |
  34. miranda

Cindy....YOU ARE CORRECT!!

I'm a Hill supporter and he would earn my respect by respecting her, her voters....and realizing he cannot pick a better V.P.

HE NEEDS HER.......PERIOD!!

-Miranda 38 Indiana

June 5, 2008 at 11:19 pm |
  35. joe

Anderson,

I can understand the bias journalist reporting of some CNN reporters

like Jack Cafferty and Roland Martin towards Obama during the

Democratic Primary, but you....doing the same kind of reporting..

really disappointed me and many others...

We expected more from you..

Sincerely,
    Joe

June 5, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  36. Garfield

The good news is, that Hallery und her 17 Millon voters are supporting Obama in november.

All those Obama haters can go to McInsane, they are no true democrats anyways.

Obama easely will pick up the difference and a lot more from the republicans. End of story.

Nice going President Obama.

June 5, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  37. Kate Hartley DiSantis

With all due respect to Senator Clinton, I feel it would be a horrible decision to have her as Senator Obama's VP nominee. Enough of the Clinton drama and ego, it's time for government. When I look at Senator Obama on the podium, his banner is for "Change"...when I look at Senator Clinton on the podium, her banner is her name....I think that says it all.

June 5, 2008 at 11:18 pm |
  38. James L Williams

NO, I do not think Hillary Clinton should become Obama's Vp. I am a HUGE Hillary Supporter from Dayton, Ohio. One things,,, if Hillary would become the VP, I'm afraid that whe would become nothing more then a seat warmer at State funerals and waist her great talents. 2 If she would become VP and actually get to do something, push some issues through and actualluy have a voice she would be accused of being another Dick Cheney, and trying to usurp the Power of the President. I think she would be best serveing the Hard Working, every day American by continuing to be a U.S. Senator,,, where she can continue to work on the great issues she has brought to light. By the way I also happen to now be voting for John MCCain in November,,,, I have never in my Life voted for a Republican,, But I saddened by how the Demcrats so quickly were willing to sweep her under the rug.

June 5, 2008 at 11:17 pm |
  39. Theresa

The writer of this has been dipping way too often into the koolaide. Has she ever met a middle aged woman who wasn't in serious need of a straight jacket? This is the most insulting tripe I've read in quite a while. I don't need to hear anymore about the mother he chose not to live with when he was 10, or the grandmother he threw under the bus to cover for his rascist whacked out preacher (either one of them), and I'm not going to be "evangelizing" for a candidate who allows his supporters to disrespect the voters he now needs (ooops). He doesn't have a candidacy, he has a cult and it's creeping me out.

June 5, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  40. Curt W

I would like all of the political contributors to the cnn network to understand that no matter how much they say "the party will come together", they are wrong. I DON"T care about the issues any more. The issue to me is the attempt to steal the election from someone truly deserving. She is entitled! Goodbye democratic party.

June 5, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  41. Raphael Alverio

My congratulations to Sen. Obama for his nomination. I have been monitoring the issues between Sen. Clinton and Sen. Obama during their campaign. I always thought that to be president of the U.S.A. one should have a clean personal record, a good educational background, and be knowledgeable with accomplishments and experience in politics, and world events. That is why I chose Sen. Clinton contrary to Sen. Obama to be the leader of this country. I firmly believe that had it not been for the media that favored Sen. Obama, Sen. Clinton would have been the nominee instead. It intrigues me as to why? Were they paid?

Now Sen. Obama needs to conquer about 18,000 of Sen. Clinton's
    voters. Many of those voters will not vote for Sen. Obama because they may think that an injustice was done to Sen. Clinton by the media. I have been a spectator, seen the effort that she portrayed, and it's regretable to see her defeated. Especially when she was the best qualified.

I'd say that voters in this country need a lot to learn. They should concentrate on the issues involved, know the individual who's addressing the message and not let their emotions take over them.

God Help Us.

Dr. Alverio
    Katy, Texas
    I am very sorry

June 5, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  42. glenda

As a 84 year old white woman I have been a democrat longer than Obama has been alive but...my vote for Hillary was a vote against Obama. I am an American first, a democrat second. He will not get
    my vote. his recent surge of patriotism insults my intelligince. i saw
    too many pictures and read too much abour him and Michelles patriotism. I do not want them in our white house. there is not reallu any thing Hillary can say for him that will change that.

June 5, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  43. Gail

He cannot reach all of us women that want Hillary unless he makes her his Running Mate!!!!!! We need a woman for her common sense of which men have none(that's common knowledge) and so far the men have gotten this country in a mess !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  44. Oscar from California

John McCain wants to put troops in Iraq for 100 years. Obama and Clinton want to end the war. I think I'll pick the latter. I think we should unite with Canada and Mexico and form a North American Union.

June 5, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  45. Kent Fitzsimmons,Illinois

All you democrats who resist Obama and want to vote for McCain are ridiculous. You obviously want absolutely nobody speaking for you as President. Republicans care about regular people? Gimme a break..............

June 5, 2008 at 10:51 pm |
  46. Bet

It's really human nature, we don't forget when we are hurt and who hurt us and so unfairly.

All that hatred against Sen Clinton by the media, Sen. Obama and his camp and supporters, and the DNC will come back to bite Sen. Obama and the DNC in November.

No, this time our votes will go to Sen. McCain. He's a gentleman, has a good record, votes both sides, biparsan, and makes sense when he talks.

Sen. Clinton will be back stronger than ever in 2012!!!

June 5, 2008 at 10:47 pm |
  47. Kent Fitzsimmons,Illinois

It is sickening that Obama will have to pick up Hillary's campaign debt.........why? It isn't like she is broke. Plenty of people lost money this Primary season. Just ask Romney...................

June 5, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  48. Tim

I would like to respond to Mari's earlier post. As a former Iowa Democratic County Chair and a life-long Democrat, I have no intention to vote Democratic in November based on the current situation. If I vote at all, which would be the first presidential election since 1976 that I wouldn't, it will be for Bob Barr. The pundits have it wrong; some of us life-long Democrats will either not vote at all or will vote non-Democratic.

June 5, 2008 at 10:38 pm |
  49. Curt W

I am still in amazement with the media for not reporting on the fact that this primary process was decided months ago. Look at the facts. First the DNC delayed the process of a revote in Florida and Michigan until it was too late. Next, after every primary she won, senator Obama picked up endorsements from superdelegates. Their reasoning was lame and it was done to remove attention and momentum from her campaign. It was orchestrated and purposeful. Next the decision of the DNC to completely steal an election, by the decision of Florida and Michigan and the seating of the delegates. I certainly hope the voters here recognize the patronizing gesture of this to win back voters. When you add in the continued pressure for Senator Clinton to withdraw by so many it is very obvious to me that this was decided long ago. I dare you or your station to check the facts on this and report on it. I bet it is squashed. I will vote republican as a democrat this year in every election level I can and this will be the last time I register as a democrat. So screw party unity.

June 5, 2008 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Deloris Wakeford

I want Obama to treat Hillary with great respect. I voted for her and I will stay loyal to her. After all, she got the most votes but Obama beat her by delegates. America picked her. And Obama needs to remember that. She has dedicated 25 years of service to the American people. She should be vice president. Obama does not have any experience. He is popular but that does not mean he can solve the problems we are having now. I think we will look back and know that Obama didn't do any more than Bush did. America made a mistake when they voted him in. Look what a mess we are in now. The media treated Hillary terrible and her voters will not forget that. Bill Clinton was the first Black President. Until Obama came in to the picture. They forgot all the good things that Bill Clinton done for them. I can't believe the women did't stand up for Hillary more. I am voting for the first time a republican. I'm voting for John McCain because the way Hillary was treated.
    Deloris