June 5th, 2008

Obama can reach Hillary's loyalists

Lisa Witter
Author and COO, Fenton Communications

The news cycle is buzzing with questions about how Obama can woo many of the 18 million Senator Clinton voters who had their hearts broken on Tuesday. It’s important to know that they weren’t just upset for Hillary, they were upset for themselves. Many saw Senator Clinton’s fight as their fight. Many people saw her tenacity and wished they would have had it when they lost a promotion or job because of their gender. Many saw her outcome as theirs. This loss runs deep.

On Saturday, when Senator Clinton suspends her campaign, we need to listen closely to what she says and how she says it. I’m confident that if Senator Clinton fully and sincerely endorses Senator Obama with her heart and her head he’ll not only be able to capture back many of these disillusioned women, but they will become evangelicals for him.

However, he’ll need to take note of some of the truths about women’s lives and the values women hold dearest. Here’s how:

Women value community and connection.

So, Obama needs to:

• Activate Obama’s women supporters to reach out to Clinton supporters and have open and respectful one-on-one conversations about why Obama will be good for America's women. (When you connect women to each other you strengthen your “brand”).
  • Opt for campaign events at small scale venues, instead of large stadiums, to connect more intimately. (For example: town halls, union halls, community centers, etc.)
  • Talk more about his mother and the role she had in his life. He was raised by a strong, single mother who had an enormous impact on his life. Women want to see him as a real person, not just a politician. Talking more about his mother will go a long way.
  • Frame his policies and principles as from the perspective of a husband and a parent of two small girls. Women respect a family man.

Women like to feel part of a movement –they draw on their movement allegiances and want to see women in leadership positions.

So, Obama needs to:

• Get high profile Clinton supporters to endorse Obama very publicly as soon as possible – Gloria Steinem, Geraldine Ferraro, Madeline Albright, etc.
  • Give a seminal speech on gender much like the one he did on race. Ellen Goodman suggested this and wrote a beautiful version last weekend.
  • Have a private meeting with Clinton and leaders of the women's movement to talk about how women will be prominent in his campaign.
  • Commit to 1/2 of his cabinet being women. Why not have his advisors reflect the gender make-up of the country? This would show Hillary supporters that he understands the importance of women’s leadership in his inner-circle.

Women have a strong predilection for empathy.

So, Obama needs to:

• Continue to communicate the need for change and do it with optimism. If he starts attacking McCain it could really turn off women voters. He needs to communicate his refrain on hope.
    Always be gracious to Senator Clinton. He must never ever do or say anything disrespectful of her.

Obama’s having trouble reaching women over 35, and 80% of women over 40 have children.

So, Obama needs to:

• Communicate that he understands that women are often the main caregivers in the family and that they are struggling to work, be mothers and often take care of their parents. He needs to communicate that he understands that this economy is tight for American working families and that women, as 83% of consumers, are forced to make the tough purchasing decisions: gas or food; which soap works best watered down; what medication cant they do without, etc.
  • Go on a women/mother’s listening tour.
  • Continue to use the Web as an organizing tool for women. More women are online and blog than men are so his internet outreach is key. Women are also twice as likely to pass on information – he can continue to use the web to help raise money and spread the word. Women are key to his viral success.
  • Make being involved in his campaign easy.
  • Update his Web site to be reflective of women. He should have prominent women endorsements, photos of women and of real people.

I hope that the Obama campaign wakes up every day thinking about the women’s vote. Women have turned out in higher numbers than men in every Presidential election since 1960. They are the key to this election.

Editor's note: Lisa Witter is co-author of  The She Spot: Why Women are the Market for Changing the World and How to Reach Them, and Chief Operating Officer of Fenton Communications which represents various public advocacy organizations.

Filed under: Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Teresa Wojnar

There is NO WAY Obama can reach out to me, he doesn't have what it takes...Hillary did!

Obama is weak. I am a strong person and I want a strong candidate.

Obama wants to sit down with terrorists.
    1. He has no experience in foreign policy. He can't even vote on the tough issues, let alone deal with terrorists.
    2. There is no talking to terrorists. If they were reasonable, they wouldn't be terrorists.
    Obama definately doesn' t speak for me, so I will either vote for McCain or not vote at all.

June 5, 2008 at 10:30 pm |
  2. spiritwealth

I don't see myself as a democrat, I picked independent or unaffiliated. However, I had to declare democrat to vote for Hillary in the primary. I am conservative by nature and Obama is too liberal and too inexperienced for me. My vote will go to McCain in November. I am not the only independent doing it this way. So, yes, we were never "democrats." We have a mind of our own and we pick the candidate we want, regardless of what the DNC wants to stuff down our throats.

Oh, and Anderson, what kind of comment was that about not being Brazile's boo? For God's sake! You are all professionals and she acted like a silly teenager because she didn't want to answer a direct question! It's pathetic to see it on prime time. Even my teenage daughter thought it was completely inappropriate. That's exactly the kind of stupidity we see in the Obama campaign and it makes some of us CRINGE. Next time, maybe it'll be an international meeting with political leaders and she wants to say they're not her boo, to get her out of answering a question? Can't you just see that?

June 5, 2008 at 10:28 pm |
  3. M.C.

No, I don't think so. The media made sure months ago that the division would be deep. For months, we heard Hillary being trashed on almost EVERY cable show. Obama and the DNC said nothing. In fact, I saw Obama be dismissive of her by brushing off his shoulder. No, afraid not. McCain 08!!!!! My husband and I have already changed to Republican and contacted the McCain group for information, and we know many people who have done likewise. This election was STOLEN from Hillary. We won't "get over it" by November!!!!

June 5, 2008 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Lorraine

Today,I instructed the Hillary Clinton campaign not to give any of my personal information to the Obama people for purposes of campaign solitications. As a Floridian, I only got half a vote in our Primary and the Super Delegates chose Obama, not the voters. This election was rigged from the start by the DNC and the media. I will support a real candidate, moderate John McCain, in 2008. The Democrat(ic)? Party has taken us older white female voters for granted for the very last time. They can't make it without us, but we can make it just fine without them, after they disenfranchished us.

God Bless the USA!!

June 5, 2008 at 10:05 pm |
  5. J.V.Hodgsob

I think many of the democrats who voted for HRC did so out of a preference regarding the individual which was right.
    In the General election coming up the issues change to the policies of the republicans vs the democrats on Policy.
    The policies Of HRC and Obama were not significantly different and that was the reason for the tight race. I never saw it as divididing the party, just a healthy democratic process, there is a big difference in between the two parties
    I see democrats largely remaining Democrats and the vast majority voting the party amd Senator Obama.
    I believe also the prospect of some HRC supporters voting McCain is unlikely but a small minorty will do so. But equally so I think Obama can attract some republicans.
    Too much emphasis is being laid on the bitter comments during the primary when a voter had just supported HRC, the threat was reasonable in support of thier candidate now we are voting party, policies and President amd do it fairly and reasonably.
    Hodgson.

June 5, 2008 at 10:03 pm |
  6. David

I hate to rain on the parade of those who claim the democratic primary represented a great historic accomplishment for women. But I am compelled to point out the eight hundred pound gorrilla in the room is that Hillary wouldn't have made it so far if her husband hadn't been a popular former President of the United States. I look forward to the day when a woman can get near or past the finish line without riding masculine coat tails. Now that would be a great accomplishment.

June 5, 2008 at 9:59 pm |
  7. Kenneth

On the issue of why sentor Clinton failed in her campaign, I am wondering why no one is critiquing her choice of campaign staff. She chose long time loyalists, who would ensure that she ran on her past rather than bringing in fresh ideas and these people would defend her even when she was wrong and tell her what she wants to ear.
    If she were to be president she would continue the same choices, which is why she still isnt the best choice to lead this country.
    Thanks

June 5, 2008 at 9:51 pm |
  8. Susan - North Haven, CT

This is one woman that Obama won't be getting a vote from, and it has nothing to do with Hillary. I wanted her because I know she could do the job – I will not be voting for him because I do not believe he can.

June 5, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  9. mike

Obama can reach the majority of Hillary supporters by choosing the right vice-presidential candidate. When Ted Kennedy endorsed Obama, so did Caroline Kennedy. When has she involved herself in presidential politics before? Something is up....

George Bush upon winning the nomination in 2000 formed a team to find his VP. On this team was Dick Cheney. It soon became clear to Bush that Cheney was the best choice. Obama has formed a team to find his VP. Who is on it? Caroline Kennedy. With one brilliant move Obama can not only win over many female voters who feel disenfranchised by Hillary loosing the nomination but also add political clout to his candidacy by adding the closest thing to political royalty America has in the Kennedys to his ticket

June 5, 2008 at 9:45 pm |
  10. Molly

It is time to realize that it was not the candidates who created this division. It was the DNC and the media. They will reap what they sow.
    I voted for Clinton....I would love to consider Obama but the Obama supporters and the media are too involved with being Clinton haters
    turning potential voters off. Even your candidate Obama is giving Clinton respect. That makes me like him so stop interfering with his ability to heal all these wounds with your hate. You are not true supporters of Obama..just Clinton haters. Listen to your candidate. He is smarter than you! All I ask you to do is put the shoe on the other foot....consider if your candidate was in Clinton's shoes. Would you have asked him to give up? Would you tell him not to fight for what the voters wanted? Would you bash him if he didn't act on your timetable?

June 5, 2008 at 9:43 pm |
  11. Mary

Senator Obama and his supporters have spewed vile and nasty hatred toward too many of us who supported Senator Clinton. We do not think he is a true democrat and that his policies are good for this country. Most of us will be voting for Senator McCain in November. For me Senator Obama and his far left radical people have ruined the Democratic Party. I have no respect for him or his supporters now. We would not vote for this man if he got down on his knees and begged. He is a joke.

June 5, 2008 at 9:39 pm |
  12. Angry Man

Hillary sent me a lovely E-mail but it will not change my mind one bit. I’m gone.
    Wait till they count up all the people like me who are quitting the party. With all this optimism and love in the air nobody wants to talk about us.
    Barack Obama is the going to be the Democrat’s defining disaster.

They just can’t get their act together anymore; The Democratic party is finished.

June 5, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  13. Gloria

I am 100 percet behind you you tell us what you want can still win as Independant , I loved your speehes and especailly the Aipec speech brought tears to my eyes all night Isreal and the Jews that was an awesome speech,

you still have 18 million votes popular vote 18 million you can win as Independant if you decide go with your heart what ever you decide, don't take less

June 5, 2008 at 9:32 pm |
  14. Juanita Gonzalez-Skelton

This is truly worse than I thought. Women are mourning because we somehow see ourselves in Hillary Clinton' s defeat? Are you kidding? She fought the most amazing fight and she was accused of being so many different things to so many different threatened interests. Oh, and he , Barack Obama, agent of change, is going to clasp us to his political bosom and sweep us up into the tradgic dance of infatuation the rest of his supporters' seem to fall into? I think not o grand Poobah of Politics! Who the hell are those of us who voted for Hillary with our hearts and minds?....You sure don't know!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 at 9:30 pm |
  15. Annie Kate

The Democrats may be taking too much for granted in assuming that Clinton supporters will support Obama and not McCain. A lot probably will support Obama because of their allegiance to the party; a lot of others will go over to McCain. And no matter what Hillary says in her endorsement of Obama it really won't change that. Clinton can't control the outcome of this and its silly to blame her if her disappointed supporters decide to vote for McCain.

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 5, 2008 at 9:29 pm |
  16. Gecko

wow Cindy doesn't seem to be an optimistic person.

IF he follow those steps up there he will do fine but Anderson isn't on his campaign planing committee. I think he can do just fine but many of his voters are either foreigners, American minorities (including American Indians) and Liberal individuals that will vote for any democrat I think he can do it just let you views be know and if your views reflect what Americans need most you will be elected. Or you could just gather enough minorities till you have the majority.

June 5, 2008 at 9:25 pm |
  17. PA

BarackObama willdojust fine. This was the same hype with McCain reaching out ad nringin in the conservative. This si typical in politics following primaries and no one person can win all minds. Please let;'s give obama the credit he deserves. At least, Obama is not shoving things down our throat like the Bush and McCain.

June 5, 2008 at 9:08 pm |
  18. Pamela burgess

NO....He can't win us over, not enough to make a difference. He should decline the super delegate win and allow the winner Hillary Clinton to be the candidate. May be she will consider him for v.p.
    Remember thats what you were worried about if the supers took the election from him. You were I'm told worried about rioting in the streets. You cnn have done what you set out to do and given the election to McCain more of the same from republicans. I worry so much about us and the fate with China since they pay for the wars in Iraq and Afganastan through us. Will our children and grandchildren ever be able to pay it back. Shame on us all! I had hope with you Hillary. Now I think we are lost. You will not make it to the white house Obama with the votes so split. it just won't go your way.

June 5, 2008 at 9:08 pm |
  19. margaret

If we think we have seen a tough contest so far we are sadly mistaken. While it has been tough it has still only been a primary. Now party lines are drawn and the gloves are off. We will see what punches Senator Clinton did not throw, in deference to her fellow Democrat.

Good Luck Obama.

June 5, 2008 at 9:04 pm |
  20. lindaadams

Lisa Witter is mistaken when she states that the women are disillusioned. What they are is behavioring destructively because they did not get their way. Clinton continues to behave badly. As a 60 yr old , white women I'm deepley disappointed in these womens actions. Clinton was the only woman in either race for the presidential nomination contest . How does she behave, she cheats. All the canidates agreed to their parties rules, she also agreed and then she doesn't. If thats not bad enough Clinton then goes on to say these votes are mine and creates the math to prove it, no mention that she is not following the agreed rules of our party. All of the woman involved with Clinton ought to be ashame for not speaking out about her behavio at the time. Lisa Witter may want to write this story so the record is straight.

June 5, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  21. Loretta from California

I have become very suspicious of those bloggers claiming to be democrats, or true supporters of Hillary Clinton. Those stating that they will support John McCain because their candidate was not nominated. I have been a Democrat for 20+ years and have been disappointed when my favorite candidate was not selected, but never so disappointed as some bloggers claim to be. I'm certainly not willing to vote Republican at a time when we are in desperate need of change.

I try to think about the Americans that are suffering today, and try my best to determine which of the candidates will work to improve the lives of those who have the greatest need.

Maybe they should try to put their wants aside, and think about others. It works for me.

June 5, 2008 at 8:52 pm |
  22. lola

you know what; any democrat that believes in what hilary clinton believes in and is ready to either vote for McCain or not vote at all was never a democrat to begin with. if you let your own country suffer all because the person you want to be president isnt then you have no beliefs of your own. so to all the clinton supporters out there... "the popular vote" i have a question for you: "would you rather McCain be your president and do things you do not believe in or Obama be president and make most of your beliefs become a reality?"

June 5, 2008 at 8:49 pm |
  23. k. mcdonald

I don't know how he can sway her minions, but I know what can't do...he CANNOT choose Gov. Strickland as his VP. Please look at his track record, Cleveland is one of the worst areas affected by the mortgage meltdown and he has done nothing. Poverty in Medina county alone has increased 1.5% between 2005 and 2007 while the guidelines have become much more restrictive (which is hiding the true number). I don't believe that Gov. Strickland stands for the type of change that Obama is preaching. Barack Obama is presenting himself as the one who can put our country back on track. To do this, we must address the forgotten demographic – the poor. Strickland does not care about those who struggle, it would be Obama's downfall if he selected the governor from Ohio.

June 5, 2008 at 8:49 pm |
  24. Michael

It strikes me very funny that no one saw what she was doing. (Meaning Sen. Clinton) Once she lost in some of the bigger states and noticed a trend in the mood of a lot supports, she shifted gears and pushed even harder for the Pres spot. Knowing that she had no chance in hell, she make herself a case for the VP slot. Think about it, why did she stay in if she knew (and trust me she knew) that she was going to lose. Using FL and MI as her platform to stand from and make her case. Yes the race did get ugly at times but very tame to most in history. She pushed the Supers to see what she has done and is doing to make her point. Obama and Clinton together is a good match. Sometimes, if you have you rival in your corner, the better you are for having them there. He will seek out her experience and Bill's as well but, only opinion, and not what they may or may not want.

June 5, 2008 at 8:48 pm |
  25. Barb

If Obama needs Hillary too get voters too support him, it proves he is not as popular as the media makes him out too be, even with the bias of the media Hillary Clinton did almost as well as Obama.
    Clinton should go independent, she would be able too run her own campaign, without having too protect the democratic party.

June 5, 2008 at 8:44 pm |
  26. Patty Harris

Obama needs to tell his supporters to put a big halt to the vicious, hateful, nasty comments that they have been and are still putting on the blogs even though he is the presumptive nominee. This in itself is a turn off to Hillary supporters. Also his supporters need to quit saying it is because of his color. It is NOT for the majority. They just don't believe in him because of his background and associations and beliefs. Why is that so hard to comprehend. His supporters who are still being so rude are just fueling the message of hate that is so obvious in his church and his associations. If these types of people follow him and they are that way, there are people who just don't go for it. There is just too much hate in this country and those attitudes from his supporters are hate in it's biggest form. We Hillary supporters are not ignorant, old people. We have been around enough to know that in this country we have the right to believe in what we choose, not what is shoved down our throats.

June 5, 2008 at 8:43 pm |
  27. Marie

"Senator Clinton fully and sincerely endorses Senator Obama with her heart and her head he’ll not only be able to capture back many of these disillusioned women, but they will become evangelicals for him." Hmm...it will make no difference to me if she endorses him or is on his ticket as VP. I still will not vote for him by himself or with her in tow. This is about him and him alone. I can not stand his change message there is no substance to anything he says. "where's the beef". There is serious problems with this candidate and women are not so stupid as a group to just jump because a few big name women decided to flip flop to his side. I will either vote McCain's way or write in a vote for Hillary Clinton. McCain, Obama what's the difference both will be bad for the future of America.

June 5, 2008 at 8:40 pm |
  28. Gary Chandler in Canada

Okay, actually, I believe the deciding factor in this election could be the Family Values vote!? How big is the Family Values vote in America? It would do Barrack Obama good, his family good, America good, the World good, and his campaign good, on top of it, if he was to dedicate one full day a week, from now until November, to spend with his family.
    Not to 'attack' McCain, but are the Family Values folks going to go with a man who divorced his wife, who was crippled in car accident, and went with one of the richest women in America?
    ThaAAAattt's NOt in sickness and health! is IT? < (with demonic lip curling grin and a decadent green background).

June 5, 2008 at 8:24 pm |
  29. Marie

"Senator Clinton fully and sincerely endorses Senator Obama with her heart and her head he’ll not only be able to capture back many of these disillusioned women, but they will become evangelicals for him." Hmm...it will make no difference to me if she endorses him or is on his ticket as VP. I still will not vote for him by himself or with her in tow. This is is about him and him alone. I can not stand his change message there is no substance to anything he says. "where's the beef". There is serious problems with this candidate and women are not so stupid as a group to just jump because a few big name women decided to flip flop to his side. I will either vote McCain's way or write in a vote for Hillary Clinton. McCain, Obama what's the difference both will be bad for the future of America.

June 5, 2008 at 8:15 pm |
  30. seah

People voted against obama, because they do not want obama. For very good reasons.

I personally do not think Obama can make that much koolaide between now and nov

The major issue is Picking the best Person to be President Of the United States of America.

Many do not feel Obama fits into that category, no matter what the DNC thinks or wants

June 5, 2008 at 8:14 pm |
  31. Cassie

Voted for Sen. Clinton in the Primary but now I am voting for Sen. McCain. We need a President more middle-of-the-road than Sen. Obama. Besides he just seems so dismissive of women.

June 5, 2008 at 8:12 pm |
  32. Gary Chandler in Canada

Would Hillary agree to publicly explain, to her loyal following, how her 'experts' derived at the Popular vote numbers, using the 45 1/2 States that gave her a lead and dismissing 4 1/2 States that puts Obama in the lead? (Google 'real clear politics and look at the charts)
    It's NOT a matter of the 100,000 votes out of nearly 36 million, it IS a matter of the 'belief' that was drummed into their heads. Full allocation for Clinton in MI, with Obama at 0, and ignoring 4 States he won is NOT Fair Reflection of overall results, and this is still a BIG issue in craw of Clinton supporters.
    The ONLY person who they will listen to and/or believe is HER, as it has been charted for them by others.
    This is the SINGLE misnomer that they hang onto with the most teeth. Her sincerity could be judged on CLEARING up this myth!
    -----
    Could just ONE news person comment on how 55% times 128 in MI, which is 70, was turned into 73 by Ickes? HE hijacked 3!

June 5, 2008 at 8:07 pm |
  33. JC- Los Angeles

Obama and his wife Michelle will never connect with the same audience that Hillary did; period; it's hilarious for you to suggest that Hillary's supporters will become evangelicals for Obama; craziest thing I've heard in years; I have no doubt that Hillary will endorse Obama, however, I do have a problem with her endorsement being "sincere." Michelle Obama controls her husband and would never allow Hillary into his inner circle; Michelle, more than anyone, will be selecting her husband's VP; everyone, including Hillary's supporters know this. This election is about three women; Hillary is now gone and that leaves Michelle Obama to control her husband and John McCain's wife to fund his campaign. The Obama's are liberal, separatist's with questionable associates. People don't want to take a leap of faith and be let down. The Obama's represent that dilemma. Regardless of what one thinks of Hillary, there was a comfort level with her since she had already resided in the White House. The Obama's, their associates and their reprehensible spiritual advisors represent an enormous leap of faith that many Hillary supporters may find too broad to attempt.

June 5, 2008 at 8:05 pm |
  34. Ken...NC

All do respect Cindy, I think he reaching to more than just women. This middle class you talk about doesn't really exists.

June 5, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  35. TL, Ohio

I felt the "letdown" for Hillary. I am a woman.
    I felt the "elation" for Barack. I am a black woman.
    I feel very proud of my race yet disenfranchised as a woman.
    So, for better or worse I feel quintessentially "American"

June 5, 2008 at 8:02 pm |
  36. Missy

Who would have thought he would have made it this far 16 months ago.

June 5, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  37. Maggie OKLA

I have about 20 friends that talk together and all of us were for Hillary Clinton. None of us will vote for Senator Obama. We have discussed and researched his background and political life and do not like what we found. He is not to be trusted or believed.
    We wanted Hillary Clinton to run as an independent but it looks like that will not happen so all of us will vote for Senator McCain.

MCCain in November. Obama back to his very corrupt Chicago. Maybe he turn out to be a room mate with Rezko.

June 5, 2008 at 7:52 pm |
  38. Mari, Salt Lake City

Americans as a whole are far more FAIR MINDED, than people give us credit for!

The fact is that Sen. Obama, carried Iowa! A state that is heavily middle-class and WHITE! He also carried the state of Utah. Even though we are a "red" state ........ we may surprise the country by turning a bit violet this November!

Also, the nay sayers, can be as negative as they want. Sen. Obama can and will win people over.

My group of educated-upper-middle-class-50-something-women are supporting him, 100%.

TRUE DEMOCRATS will support Sen. Obama!

A VOTE FOR MCCAIN IS A VOTE FOR MORE WAR; MORE DEAD TROOPS; MORE NATIONAL DEBT......... $10 TRILLION AND COUNTING THANKS TO 8 YEARS OF REPUBLICAN RULE!

June 5, 2008 at 7:51 pm |
  39. Larry

Hillary can't make her supporters follow Barack; I actually doubt that Obama supporters would be receptive to them anyway.

June 5, 2008 at 7:48 pm |
  40. Carol

I really am getting tired of hearing about the "impassioned" voters for Hillary. I'm sure that there is a percentage of her supporters who are very disappointed – the people that go to the rallys and work in the local offices and such. But not EVERY person who cast a vote for Hillary is devastated by her loss and will never recover.

The news keeps talking about her 18 million supporters, and how can Obama reach all 18 million of them..... That's ridiculous. All 18 million of them are not necessarily still there for her. Many people cast votes on name recognition – or maybe, in the early primaries, people didn't know enough about Obama, or Hillary was still the presumed winner so they voter for her. Who knows... this has been a very long, ugly primary season and people may have changed their minds along the way.

I am an Obama supporter – I never liked Hillary. My mother-in-law, and her friends, supported Hillary because they thought the idea of a woman president was great. Hillary lost – oh, well. We have not had to set up a suicide watch for my mother-in-law. She is perfectly fine with the outcome.

Older voters have been through a lot of elections. Maybe their favorite won in some of them, maybe the favorite lost. This notion that Hillary has 18million people that absolutely cannot cope with the fact that Hillary lost........... sounds like more crap from the Hillary campaign machine to me.

June 5, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  41. Karen...SC

Obama will NEVER get this woman's vote. He is untrustworthy and his speeches do not woo me. He only won the nomination because Republicans crossed over and voted for him. They knew that he would not beat McCain. I no longer consider myself part of the democratic party...the DNC betrayed us. The republicans will win again for the third term! Unless Hillary runs Independent...sounds like a good idea to me!

June 5, 2008 at 7:44 pm |
  42. Esbee

Wrong. You missed it and you are trying to set set Senator Clinton up for Obama's failure should he not capture Hillary supporters.

Obama is going to have to do this like every other guy-he is going to have to earn my vote. And I do mean really earn it. I want to see this guy work.

So far all I have seen him do is think, talk, brown nose, and pump.

Show me some substance Obama then show some respect for the Clintons. What is your position and where do you stand--and more importantly--who do you owe-and how are you going to repay them.

June 5, 2008 at 7:37 pm |
  43. Pamela burgess

Not many comments because he hadsthe impossible and with a wife
    like his and all the other radical people he refused for so long to comment on he hasn't got a chance in bringing us over to his side.
    I have heard people were afraid to have Hillary in the White House.
    They should have been because she is not a puppet like Pelosi is. She is an acting, caring woman, not a grandmother who likes her title but can't think for herself and do the important job she was put there to do. She is not Obama who in my observation and research has shown no patrotism in this campaign. He is a fence walker and we
    can't have another war monger or a fence walker. We need a progressive thinker that just happens to have a lot of experience and intelligence. Someone who is tireless Some one who has proved for years she is not a fence walker. Hillary Clinton. Even McCain isn't a fence walker except of course in this campaign to get elected. I have changed my vote from demo to a repubo, thanks to the media's trashing of my candidate Hillary. You get what you wanted media a republican in office again. here comes our total ruin. I fear the next 4 years. a mom, grandmother and citizen of this country.

June 5, 2008 at 7:36 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar

I agree with Cindy, I don't know how I feel toward to Obama, I feel bad for Hillary Clinton and supporters...... If he would lose his race to John McCain next November........ I hope that supporters will try vote Obama or McCain.
    Megan D.
    Shoreline, Wa

June 5, 2008 at 7:27 pm |
  45. José

"I thought at one point that this presidential election was going to be great with the two candiates on the ballot, now I must accept I was wrong.
    ...But the one who would be sorry is Barack Obama, when in November the people who have said to have unite the democratic party have failed.
    I know most of my Latino family has said already that they will vote Republican again if Obama insist in being "Mr. Know it all" and "Don't need any advise type of guy."
    ...It is time that we grow up as a country, it is so extra-ordinary to have an African American as a nominee, but we must come to reality this country need both experience and courage to go on.
    Let's do it and have one BIG OBAMA/CLINTON ticket this fall and secure the White House like we all want.
    Listen Barack Obama!

June 5, 2008 at 7:22 pm |
  46. Tesa Pinckney

I think he can, except the ones who consider race before voting, how do you win them over, YOU CAN'T. I think Clinton's base of women were watching a different race and doing some new version of math to make their point but the facts are:

1. NO sexism in the race- Blatant Lie
    2. Race entered the race by the Media and Clinton Camp "The real hard working white Americans vote for me" she said it
    3. She had a sense of entitlement
    4. She broke the rules in Michigan and did not to be penalized for it.. Yes Obama took his name off the ballot and if Hiliary took hers off that state would not have lost half of their delegates FACT
    5. She did not face defeat; She underestimated her opponent.

All Clinton had to do was concede on Tuesday, speak about the VP position and start to heal the party.... But she didn't she showed that this is not about Americans, but rathee I CAN be president by any means neccesary.................. and that failed.

June 5, 2008 at 7:20 pm |
  47. Ann

Evangelicals for him! Please! Have you people noticed that this man is NOT God? And as far as her supporters...give it up...we will vote for McCain. Even if Hillary was on his ticket. And thank God she is not dropping out but just suspending her candidacy. There is no telling what could happen in the next five months. With all the radicals he's associated with and the fact that he knows absolutely NOTHING about foreign policy, anything could happen. And since she had more votes than him, she would be nuts to take her name off now. She needs to wait till the convention! No, we will NEVER become evangelicals for him.

June 5, 2008 at 7:19 pm |
  48. Bobbie

I continually check the status of the uncommitted delegates and see no movement – what are hey waiting for – permission from Hillary to commit? That does leave one to wonder what she really has planned for Denver.

June 5, 2008 at 7:18 pm |
  49. Janet

How can the American people get an idea of what a candidate stands for if you rudely cut off some of their speeches and interject your ideas to make it seem that they mean something that is not what they mean at all? It seems that your network is very biased in this election for some reason. I thought the American people want to vote for a leader who has the best interest of the country as well as a someone who can make good and rational judgements. Stop your disregard for fairness in the coverage of this election. We want to form our own opinion on who to vote for but how can we when you maniuplate the way you are covering the election. You ought to be ashamed at the way some of you are clearly biased in this campaign and are showing it on the air. I thought that we were are trying to vote for the BEST person regardless of who that is. Stop leading the general public and be fair about your coverage.

June 5, 2008 at 7:15 pm |
  50. Cindy

Obama needs to reach out to a lot of people not just women. He has a problem with the middle class as a whole also. So it seems he better get busy! He's got a long row to hoe and a short time to get there. Honestly I don't think he can do it.

Cindy...Ga.