June 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/5/08

Breaking news tonight. The meeting between Senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. After a long, tough primary race the former rivals sitting down face-to-face for the first time. What are they talking about? Is this the first step toward a dream ticket? We've got the Best Political Team on Television working all the angles.

Also tonight Candy Crowley's revealing interview with Senator Obama. What he said earlier today about picking Clinton as his running mate.

Be sure to check out our live web camera from the studio. The shot features a behind the scenes look at Anerson and Erica on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET. Take a look at a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not.
LINK TO COMMENTS POST

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Eugenia

It was absolutely great to see the interview with Candy and Obama! Candy is one of my favorites and I'm glad she was the one that got him!

San Francisco, Ca

June 5, 2008 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Candy Crowley is so cool and funny! I was in suspense after her blog!

June 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Fred, Boston

I think it is good that Clinton and Obama are meeting. It shows that they are two Democrats working together to make put this country back on track.

June 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  4. Brenda

He shouldn't have to handle his VP that person should be his right in person, who is qualified to run the country when necessary. Hilary can't handle Bill or losing, so how can we expect her to handle our enemies?

June 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Billi

As a die hard Hillary fan who is in blog touch with many. many other die hard Hillary fans, I can suggest that many Hillary supporters do NOT want her on the ticket and many Hillary supporters do NOT want to vote for Obama. The more the press tells her supporters that they will change their minds, the more UNunified the party remains.

June 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Jackie-Baltimore

I am a Obama fan!
    I respect Hillary as a female and as a person trying to win.
    I think that a lot of her action in this election would make it extra hard for Obama to ask her to be his VP.
    I do hope and wish her the best.
    As for Bill, I hope she leaves him home in all her future political actions!!!

June 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Noel

Yes, Bill Clinton brings baggage, but all of the Kennedys have baggage too. It's part of the package of being a public figure. After 8 years of Bush, I'd sure like to see the Bill Clinton prosperity come back again.

June 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Yvonne

Perhaps Obama can offer Hillary a cabinet position tonight. I think she just wants to know what she will be doing for the rest of her life. VP is definitely out of the question. That's not her gifting.

June 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Shannon

Kim, I am not sure why you think this type of sentiment is constructive. We need a Democrat to win in November and this scenario as Senator Clinton recognizes would destroy all the causes she has championed for so many years.

June 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Julliet

Anderson, are you worried Obama is meeting Hillary at her home, on her grounds, her turf?

June 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Linda, Los Angeles

Point of all of this is that he has not ruled Clinton out. From what we have seen of Obama, he does not say things just to appease people. He says what he means. So if Clinton is ont he list, then she is being evaluated the same as the others.

June 5, 2008 at 10:25 pm |
  12. Rosie from Pa

Maybe they can act like grown ups because many around the country aren't. This is about taking back the white house from the republicans. So here is what I would suggest. 17 million of his supporters plus 17 million of her supporters equals the Democrats kicking the Republilcans BUTT!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  13. Mary

One would think that obama has been thinking about his vp for a long time as has hillary. he is a definate win with her on the ticket!

June 5, 2008 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Shannon

As a Democrat, I do not think it is constructive for us to speculate whether Obama invites Hillary onto his ticket. Although I have strongly supported Obama, I think HIllary is an amazing woman and would do superbly in any position that she gets

June 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Sarah

Yes, Hillary should be considered for vp. It's time for people to stop sending negative messages about Hillary, ie....hope he ate before he went.
    Hillary is smart, compassionate, strong, level headed and could do any job given to her.

June 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Mike

Well it's not like they're gonna come out of the house holding hands singing coombaya... It's a first of many meetings. Hopefully this will end Hillary's narcicism and get her to concede. This should be about Barack, not Hillary. She should have admitted defeat a long time ago. That speech Hillary gaveTuesday night was so self-glorifying – I've lost a lot of respect for her. Barack could do way better in terms of a VP, someone less polarising

June 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Chuck

Sen. Clinton will retain more power and freedom to operate apart from the VP job. If Sen. Obama invites her to join the ticket, she should consider very carefully the limitations associated with the job. As a U.S. Senator from NY she has all the media exposure she could want and has the opportunity to move around and exert influence in ways the VP cannot.

June 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Jen

Obama doesn't need her at all. If he wins, she would only undermine his presidency. She would work more against him than with him.

June 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Linda, Los Angeles

I have say, I'm loving the way he has been handling this. With class and grace. And I do believe that Clinton will be one of Obama's biggest supporter.

June 5, 2008 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Billy Flood

Obama cannot choose Hillary as vp. No republican wants Bill Clinton back in the white house. He must find a way to sway them, to convince them he can care about what matters to them. They will not be able to see him clearly with Bill Clinton's baggage.

June 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Annemarie Bornstein

Should Barack Obama choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate? No, except for Dick Cheney, the position of Vice President is well-known in North America to be a generally ineffective position. Mr. Obama would be well served, as would be the nation, if she were offered the position of Secretary of State, for which I believe she does have experience and knowledge.
    Annemarie Bornstein
    Montreal, Quebec, CANADA

June 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  22. David, Santa Barbara

If Obama really does indeed want change. Picking Hillary as VP would be the worse mistake of his life period.

June 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Steve from California

Yvonne, a beautiful name–

Obama is worried. That's his job to worry. He needs to make sure that demographic will be there for him. If it's not Hillary Clinton can help him.

June 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Lori, CharlotteNC

Minou, New York City-
    Being on the ticket is not a given, just because of vote count. VPs have little power and influence. She should be in a prominent post in his cabinet to have exposure and power. Her supporters need to look at the big picture. Also, he needs to pick someone that shares his message (HE's the nominee!) and also someone who respects him and can work well with him (I respectfully don't think HIllary fits that mold).

June 5, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Chris Cruz

Anderson,
    Obama should be careful in making a decision to have Hillary as VEEP, not so much because she would sabotage the Obama white house policy as her husband would be a loose cannon out in public, and not answerable to the administration.

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Matthew in KY

I think the only way to actually bring the party back together is to put Clinton on the ticket, because no matter what anyone says, there is now a rift in the party and hurt feelings and I think this is one of the only ways to bring a time of healing to the party

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Stephen Miller

This is no longer the "dream team idea". It is the unity team. All the other possibilities are merely shades of mediocrity. Obama can not win without the balance of the Hillary constituency. He would be best served with Hillary as vice president. This is the first time in history that the people may well be choosing both a presidential and vice presidential candidacy.

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Seda Ozdesoy

I really don't think that Obama should choose Clinton as his vice president because as a candidate who represents change and all that is new, picking her as his running mate would be a step backwards into the past. And isn't the past what we've been trying to separate ourselves from all along? Obama would be making a big mistake if he chose Clinton.

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Kim in FL

Hillary still has time to convence superdelegates to switch back to her. When the tape comes out, Hillary will be the Nominee.

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Sandra Stoutenburg

Obama and Clinton will lift us out of the argumentive world we live in. Both are committed to peace and prosperity. Such an amazing campaign platform.

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  31. Kiran

I don't think Hillary should take the VP slot, just because she deserves better.

But on the other hand, Obama does need someone experienced by his side.

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  32. Jim Russell

It is not wise for Obama to select Hillary as VP. It would also not be wise for Obama to select a woman other than Hillary for VP. The honor of being first female President or first female VP seems to belong to Hillary righ now. Selecting a woman other than Hillary would seem to be an insult to her and her 17,000 plus supporters.

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I keep hearing that Obama won't pick Hillary because he couldn't control her and Bill. If he can't handle people in his party how will he handle our enemies?

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  34. Winster Ceballos

For the best of the democratic party and the US, we need the Dream Ticket to come a reality. Both Obama & Hillary complement themselve so well, each have what the other's lack.

I wish that we could see in November a Obama-Clinton ticket, so we can take the Republicans out of the White House

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  35. Jonathon

I really only want to see Hillary on the ticket if he HAS TO have her to beat McCain. I want Senator Obama in the white house no matter what and will vote for him with or without Hillary. I feel that she and Bill would not sit quietly in the background while Obama leads this nation. I want President Obama running the show!

June 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm |
  36. Rev. J. J. Johnson

Anderson, tonight, Senator Obama is showing that he is not swayed by all of the Pontificating about who will be his V.P. The two people that matters Senator Obama and Senator Clinton are now meeting, let's be patient and see what happens. Good things come to those who wait.

June 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

Hey Erica! Good to see you tonight!

June 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, Ohio

Kim; I am not buying it. She doesn't need him. Her aspirations to be president are over.

June 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  39. Andrew, Lafayette IN

Hillary plays well with others. I can see her being a very powerful VP, but not over doing it. She's a remarkable person. People need to give her more credit

June 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  40. Terrell

The problem with Hillary being considered as Vice President is Bill Clinton. President Clinton has too much baggage that would weigh Obama's campaign down. Plus how can Obama focus on America if the media wastes time focusing attention on the Clintons in the Vice President position?
    I also agree with what others have said that adding Hillary to the ticket would contradict the message of "Change".

June 5, 2008 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar

That is great interview!!!!! I love Candy Crowley, Thanks for interview with Obama. 🙂 Can we give some flower to her?

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Belinda

Obama is a very intelligent Presidential candidate. I will respect his decision. Personally, I like Wes Clark. I am not sure if Hillary cares more about herself or the Democratic Party. Her actions has spoken for her.

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Jim Reb

Obama claims to be the candidate of change but if he ignores the wishes of half of the democratic primary voters and does not select Hillary to be his running mate, then it will be the "same old, same old" from a Washington politician. Come November I will be voting for Hillary whether or not she is on the ballot.

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Miriam

Well, she is in a nice position to make her demands. I dont think McCain is out yet. It sure is going to be interesting to see who Obama picks...

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Maggie

Yes Yes Yes – this is the best idea.

My hillary supporter friends are all leaving and voting for mccain – so putting hillary on the ticket they will vote for that....

This is how to bring about UNITY.

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  46. Kim

He really impresses me with what he is saying in the interview... he seems to have a very clear vision of what he wants to do and how he will go about it. And he already took charge of the DNC with regards to lobbyist money 48 hours after becoming the nominee.

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  47. ericacnn

hi, bloggers. wow - the past three days, never a dull moment!

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  48. Missy

I did not vote for Clinton. Never will. I did vote for Obama in the primary. I plan to vote for him at the general election. Unless Clinton is on the ticket. If she is, I am voting for McCain.

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Ming

Obama must not pick Clinton. She does not own Democratic women; she does own permanent sky-high negatives among Independent voters. Obama needs a team player whom he actually likes.

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Geraldine

Hi

My vp pick's. No, for Mrs. Clinton. First pick, Kathleen Sebelius, second pick, Jim Webb.

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |