June 5th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 6/5/08

Breaking news tonight. The meeting between Senators Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. After a long, tough primary race the former rivals sitting down face-to-face for the first time. What are they talking about? Is this the first step toward a dream ticket? We've got the Best Political Team on Television working all the angles.

Also tonight Candy Crowley's revealing interview with Senator Obama. What he said earlier today about picking Clinton as his running mate.

Be sure to check out our live web camera from the studio. The shot features a behind the scenes look at Anerson and Erica on the set. We’ll turn the camera on at 945p ET and turn it off at 11p ET.
LINK TO THE BLOG CAMERA

We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and stop at 11p ET. Take a look at a post that may be helpful if you wonder why some comments get posted while others do not.
LINK TO COMMENTS POST

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jackie-Baltimore

I don't think the VP position is a good idea!
    I think to many things have been said and done for her to accept being his VP.
    I also think that is going to be hard as is to unite...

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Daniel, Long Beach, CA

I believe that Hillary invited Obama to her home as an olive branch – to invite someone into your home usually seen as a sign of friendship. My only question is this: Is Bill Clinton is in the meeting room or if he's listening through the door from the next room!?

And Michelle's fist bump when Barack was about to speak in Minnesota the other night was awesome!

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Anna- VT

I hope he doesn't ask her to be his VP. She's just seems so self-centered and appears to care more about her legacy than about what is best for the country.

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Lori, CharlotteNC

Obama's shown he's quite gracious these past few days. Starting by not taking it personally when she clearly disregarded his Tue. night nominee achievement. And now, taking the time to meet at her house. He must realize what a difficult time this is for her and he's also giving her the respect she deserves for the race she ran and her history in the party.

June 5, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Laura

I'd like to see them together on the ticket. Think it would be good for the party and the country. But hope that Obama will take his time and not be seen as being affected by the pressure.

June 5, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Nikki

Alot of people are forgetting that alot of Obama voters will NOT vote if Clinton is on the ticket. He has as many voters as she has, so it could help/harm either way. Personally, I would not vote with any Clinton on any ticket.

June 5, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Daphne

No, Senator Obama should not ask Senator Clinton to be his Vice-President! The country has had enough of the Clintons to last the rest of our lifetimes...

June 5, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Jennifer

Hello, everyone!

My first blog here ever! I am heartened by the news that Senators Obama and Clinton are meeting this evening. I have been a passionate supporter of Hillary Rodham Clinton, and I do think they could make a formidable team. Honestly, from the very beginning of the primary process, I had hoped for a dream team. Now, I had hoped it would be the other way around. But, I'm a pragmatist, and I'm willing to support an Obama-Clinton configuration. They both have such amazing strengths and could complement each other quite well. Together, they would be unbeatable!

June 5, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Karen--Leesburg, VA

Hi Bloggers!

Wow! A meeting tonight with Hillary–No wonder Obama didn't linger tonight after his rally in Bristow, VA. I was thinking, "Maybe he has a dinner-meeting in DC, but not that one!"

June 5, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Julliet

I don't really care who gets the vp slot, it is Obama call to make that decision and I think we should be ready to accept who ever he picks.

June 5, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  11. Betty Ann, Nacogdoches,TX

I also believe that Obama should choose Hillary as a VP. . . Or McCain should 🙂

June 5, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, Ohio

Juliet; What has he done that is so honorable? I just can't seem to get that "you are popular enough" statement out of my mind. Would you say that was an honorable remark?

June 5, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Jolene

Well Obama is right, I'm sure after 54 contests, they need to take a break and relook at strategies, etc. for the upcoming general election. I'll give him that.

June 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Minou, New York City

Missy: good point. You never really hear about the VPs after the election... what do they do besides shooting their hunting mates??

June 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  15. Noel

I'm just not convinced about an Obama/Clinton ticket, especially since we're only 2 days past the end of the primaries. I really think the 2 of them need to take a few opportunities to keep talking. But like Mary, I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the room too.

June 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  16. Alice - Gainesville, Florida

Obama would make a serious mistake if he put Hillary Clinton on the ticket. Change? New politics? No payoffs from lobbyists? Never!
    We need the fresh start that the Obamas offer the country.
    From an independent conservative supporting Obama.

June 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  17. LINDA FROM MORENO VALLEY, CA.

Obama does not have enough EXPERIENCE!!! He needs Hillary, if she's on the ticket, he has my vote. If she is not – I'll vote for McCann!!!

June 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  18. Bev, Ont.

I think it would be great to have Hillary on the VP ticket but I'm wondering how much of an interference Bill would be. Maybe not such a good idea.

June 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Kalen

I think it would be very bad for nominee Obama to be forced to accept Hillary Clinton, how could he be the leader of the world and be undermined by Senator Clinton

June 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I wonder how many people voted for Obama because he wasn't Hillary? Those people won't want her on the ticket.

June 5, 2008 at 10:15 pm |
  21. Christian

I don't think it would be wise for Obama to included Clinton on his ticket because it would seriously undermine his authority as the new leader of the Democratic party. I think that it would be a strong ticket; however, her being on the ticket would not reflect the mantra of change that he's running on.

June 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  22. EJ (USA)

Obama has picked a committee to help him with the VP search... as some seem to have forgotten.

June 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  23. Nikki

So enjoyed Candy's interview with Obama. I saw it earlier. She's top notch. I'm also glad to hear his response about doing it the right way and by the process. Smart move and smart answer. It won't be something he will be answering for a while.

Anderson, Erica... really enjoy the show!

June 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  24. Linda, Los Angeles

Candy, doesn't hold back! 🙂 Glad to hear that he is not going to be pushed into doing anything until he's ready.

June 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  25. mira

i am a HRC supporter and i still don't know if i can support obama.

June 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  26. Stan

As an Obama supporter, I can not imagine a more strategic partner from any political circle bringing more to the table than Hillary.

June 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  27. Shannon

Jo Ann, you comment is simply not true. It shows Obama is very respectful and genuinely appreciates Senator Clinton

June 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  28. Martha Burnett

I do not want Senator Clinton on the ticket.
    I want Clinton to support Obama.

June 5, 2008 at 10:14 pm |
  29. Josh, Ontario

Obama discussing the cons of a VP slot with Hillary could be extremely awkward.

June 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Yvonne

For every person that does not vote for Obama, there will be two that will. I'm so not worried about Hillary's demographic.

June 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  31. Marty

Clinton running for vp is NOT a dream ticket. It would be a NIGHTMARE ticket. If that happens Obama woud lose my vote. I'm a white female well over 50. I do not respect or trust either clinton.

June 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  32. Vincent

I still dont know if its a good idea to pick Hillary. She likes center stage a little too much. Plus is she going to withhold 'full' support with herself and her delegates just in case Obama slips along the way.

btw, is it a surprise to anyone that the republican party is now using (or going to use) the clinton campaigns own attacks against Obama in their own messages ?

June 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  33. Jamilla

I hope Obama does not choose her as his running mate. I also hope he's careful in her house. After the bitterness she created, it would be nearly impossible to be his running mate since the president would be he one in charge, and Clinton does not seem to take to being second. We've seen what she can do when she doesn't get her way, why would we want her in the WH with so much power?

June 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  34. Kim

Jo Ann: he is the nominee, he doesn't need to come to her, she needs to come to him and many nominees would never have made such a generous gesture...

June 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar

I agree with you Jen Rose....... me too.

June 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  36. Janice

As I see it way up here in Canuk Land–No Hilliary should not be VP-
    that would be scarry.

June 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  37. Jack Terschluse

Hillary Clinton won't take the VP spot because if Barack loses without her, she will use that to her advantage. She will say if she was nominated, she would've beaten John McCain. Also, if she doesn't take the VP spot, she will then have more of a chance in the next presidential election.

June 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  38. Christopher Bordelon

I think the meeting between the two is great. It is critical that if he has made his mind up that she is not the selection for VP he needs to tell Hillary right away. I feel without her as the VP his chances of winning the general election are slim.

I can say for me as a supporter of Hillary if she is not selected my vote will go for John McCain.

June 5, 2008 at 10:13 pm |
  39. Robert, Marina del Rey, CA

Donna Brazile said numerous times that she would support whomever is the nominee as soon as there was one. As of tonight, Thursday, June 5th, she is still UNDECLARED. Seem contrary to her statements of party unity. Why is she still undeclared?

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  40. Minou, New York City

Why do some people have to put the stamp of "desperation" on Obama, only because he's talking to Hillary?
    I doubt he's desperate. He's smart. And he has genuine respect for her...which is why I like him.

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  41. kim-chicago

I think if the two of them decide that it would be in the best interest of the country for her to be VP then so be it...these are two incredibly smart people...and I think in the end they will do the right thing.

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  42. Linda, Los Angeles

Hi all, I'm also glad to see that Obama and Clinton are talking. I'm also happy to her Clinton say that the choice of VP is his and his alone.

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  43. Kim in IL

It worries me to think of Hillary as VP. I don't think it could ever work. She would be trying constantly to ram 'her way' into getting things how she wants. She would try to be president vicariously through him in whatever way she could.

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  44. Kyle in FL

The ONLY way to win Florida is with Hillary on the ticket. NOBAMA 08'

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Luciana

Yes, Hillary should be the V.P with her on the ticket , we know that Dems will vote for Obama/Clinton ticket.

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  46. Missy

Hillary can be more effective in another position than Vice President, I believe.

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  47. Steve from California

It's all speculation right now. I don't think we'll get a VP announcement tonite.

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  48. Jeff

Anderson,

No, Obama should not put Hillary on the ticket. He should be open to giving her just about any other position. But not the VP slot. This would give him the clean slate he was looking for and give Hillary motivation for campaigning for him.

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  49. Chris T, WPB FL

Simple, NO Hillary...

June 5, 2008 at 10:12 pm |
  50. mira

obama cannot win without hillary's supporters

June 5, 2008 at 10:11 pm |