June 5th, 2008

Journey to a meeting with Obama

Candy Crowley
CNN Senior Political Correspondent

Bloggees-

Spent 24 hours watching Hillary Clinton not concede, and working at the CNN mothership in NYC. Will need 48 hours to recover. All of you with a mothership know what good times those visits are.

Not sure what made me think of this but is there a cyberspace symbol to denote a sarcastic remark?

Just this very second landing in Bristol, Virginia. (Travel tip: Find Knoxville and move a map smidge Northeast). I'm on the Obama plane–I assume he is with us but as a journalist I am foresworn to tell you I can't say for sure because we emplaned (????) at Laguardia an hour and a half before he allegedly arrived. And he (presumably) is in first class, and I definitely am seated in 21F (all my life's a plane seat).

We're here in very rural Virginia because Obama thinks he can bring this very Republican (on a presidential level) state into play this fall, when we assume Hillary Clinton will be out of the race unless she's on the ticket. This is worthy blogging material but we are now bustling off Air Obama.

---

HE IS here. As a trained observer, I can tell you this because I stood on the tarmac with a cast of media thousands and saw him walk down the stairs. White shirt, blue tie.

---

So Clinton's getting out (official political lingo: "suspending" her campaign) on Saturday when, confidentially dear reader, I had planned on doing laundry.

But we'll be there because she has been just a whale of a story and i want to see it end.

Strike that. I want to see the next chapter.

On the v-p front, she could stop the chatter from her surrogates if she wanted but she hasn't.

If he taps her, does he look like he was bullied into it? If he doesn't, does she support him only tepidly? And many of her supporters go elsewhere?

And you thought this election year story was going to take a haitus.

We've made it to a very hot high school gym. "Townhall meeting."

But I'm headed out cuz guess what? After the event, the presumptive democratic nominee and I are going to chat.

The opportunity popped up quite suddenly, presenting severe technical problems. I am out of clean clothes.

But, dear reader, you KNOW it's big time when the mothership sends make-up artists.

It's only happened to me... never.

So here I am in a school library on a stool getting make-up sprayed on my face and I'm thinking, "If he gets elected and he closes Gitmo what would he do with all those prisoners?"

Filed under: Barack Obama • Candy Crowley • Hillary Clinton • Raw Politics
  1. Bill

I guess watching Hillary not concede for 24 hours could turn into 24,000 hours if it were up to Hillary. I guess Hillary has some, maybe not personally narcistic issues, but surely politically narcistic concerns that the party needs to address, unless of course those with the most pull in the party are identically, politically, inward looking. I hope this extreme political self reflection is not rampant in the party or the party is doomed.

Until Hillary has made her announcement, the party is in a state of coup. This fact cannot be denied. In fact, Hillary has hijacked the party and that makes her a political terrorist.

June 6, 2008 at 10:15 am |
  2. Ken

Hillary's "style" of losing is amazing to me. You'll notice when Mitt, Mike and others lost, they acted like they lost and then disappeared so the winner could look like the winner. If McCain wants to contact one of them, he's got their number! Hillary's style of losing is SO "Clinton"! If it were not so"believable", it would be unbelievable! Ken

June 6, 2008 at 2:29 am |
  3. Karol

Candy, you are great and I only learned recently that you have a wonderful sense of humor. I'm not really a blogger – I just came across this tonight.

My first memory of you is when I was living with my daughter in Austin, Texas and you were standing in the cold on Congress Avenue near the governor's mansion in November 2000. I have followed your broadcasts since that time and do hope one day I meet you. As I recall, you spent a lot of time in Austin around that time.

June 6, 2008 at 12:09 am |
  4. Michael

I still do not understand why some, not all, Clinton supporters are going for McCain; it cannot be because of the issues because he opposes every issue Hillary Clinton stands for. The only reason I can come up with is that these people are in it because they believe it is a popularity contest. You talk about Clinton being disrespected during this campaign, what do you think you are doing by voting for McCain, you are disrespecting everything Clinton stands for. Do you honestly believe McCain will fight for universal health care, a middle class tax cut, do you honestly believe he will work for all of us who live paycheck to paycheck? It is amazing how quickly people will turn their backs on their beliefs and ideals, it is amazing how quickly some of the Clinton supporters are turning their back on her. She has said many times a democrat must be elected to the White House, she has said it would be a “grave error” to vote for McCain over Obama. I guess the question remains, how dedicated are these so called Clinton supporters who want to run to McCain. A better question would be how dedicated are they to the issues Clinton and Obama agree on, universal health care, tax cuts, the working class, the list is endless.

June 6, 2008 at 12:03 am |
  5. Barbara Jones

Hi Candy,
    This is a first for me. (blogging) I am an African-American female, 60 years of age, and feeling very proud, and somewhat sad at the same time. When I hear and read, that the majority of Hillary's supporters would either not vote, or vote republican. Some have also admitted that RACE is major factor. This does not sound like women who are ready for the "big league." You don't take your marbles and run home, when things don't go your way. True professionals learn how to roll with the punches, learn from any mistakes made and ready themselves for the next challenge. As an African-American voting for over 40 years, if race had been a factor, I, nor my community would likely have never voted. Even when the African-American vote became important, and "courted." We voted even when it did not benefit our community.
    Candy, hope you are able to get some rest, appreciate all you do, and hope CNN will allow you get your laundry done as well.
    CNN's coverage of this political movement, has also interfered with my laundry duties. B.J. College Park, Ga.

June 5, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  6. ezboy

Hello from Tokyo Japan, I'm an American living abroad.
    I'm a Hillary supporter(about to be turned McCain supporter). Well Hillary seems to be out so I'm supporting McCain!
    I've read on the internet that McCain is favored in Virginia. Virginia tends to vote Republican because there are many military bases there. So McCain should win Virginia, Obama is wasting his time and money there!

June 5, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Raymond Duke Texas

It is irrevelant. People who voted for hillary wanted her in the drivers seat. Some will go to Obama. I think a lot of them will go McCain because believe it or not they are conservative democrats and will in no way support a liberal like Obama. Then throw in all the nasty remarks about the blue collar workers and unamerican statements and sexist remarks. I think he has major problems. People seen Clinton as a lot more in the middle than Obama. He will not recover the majority of the people who voted for clinton. Country uneducated white people have a long memory and don't forget or forgive easy and I bet all them female voters will not forget the shafting of them by the obama bunch and the media. There is another old saying " HELL HAS NO FURY COMPARED TO A JILTED WOMAN'.

June 5, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  8. beverly

we need a vice president – not a co-president! That position is reserved for Michelle! Do you want world war 3 ! just joking ! Seriously, Senator Clinton is not vice president temperament. Her personality and history is much too strong......

June 5, 2008 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

Candy,

I love your sarcasm and your wit – it takes a dry subject and gives some panache to it. So Clinton is going to take your laundry day – so goes politics I guess but it would be great for you I am sure to have clean clothes! Traveling always makes me feel rumpled so I can sympathize.

I'm looking forward to your big time interview with Obama tonight although I think I'm more interested in seeing how they did your makeup than in anything he has to say.

By the way – how are those wedding plans coming along for your son? I hope for your sake its not scheduled near the convention date!

Annie Kate
    Birmingham AL

June 5, 2008 at 8:55 pm |
  10. Pamela burgess

Hillary Clinton doesn't have to concede CNN(Candy). She can take her people all the way to the convention. She can wait for us and see
    what happens to Obama over the summer and the super-duper delagates can change to her at the convention when they see he will not mke it to the White House. Check the rules....No one that is her supporter was disappointed in her speech. It was exactly as it should have been for her suppoirters. She grew as a person unlike Obama who is still superior thinking. People have affected her. Only your poor reporting
    to cater to your ruling class status quo believe anything you say. You have all wanted her to end her campaign for months and time and again she has proved you all wrong. Get it! Voters are talking and thinking not doing as you all say for a change. I seem to remember you all saying if she wins this with the super delagates people will be furious. Now what about people who are furious he won only for the
    super delegates. You know he can't win with out her voters so does
    he. Unless he is crazy.Hillary has handled herself with class for lack of a better work even with the big boys club against her. You would think that would finally be over but as long as we still have woman like you and Pelosi it won't change. Retire or something. Maybe you and Pelosi could have lunch & golf. The wealthy and male ruling class have wanted her out so bad because she is not a puppet like you and Pelosiand Obama. Even if offered, and it would only benefit Obama, I think she should not agree to be his V.P. We will need her much worse in 2012.
    After 4 more years of bush politic s with McCain. Just think you helped
    him win and we will become a part of China's control unless we can file bankruptcy. Very worried in Virginia for my 2 grandchildren's future.

June 5, 2008 at 8:39 pm |
  11. BonnieInTexas

Candy, you don't need a special symbol for sarcasm since it is patently obvious in your writing. It is difficult for me to imagine that you haven't ever needed a moment to catch your breath like Senator Clinton does, but then no one would ever consider supporting you for the highest office in the land, would they? I can see generosity of spirit just isn't one of your attributes..

June 5, 2008 at 6:25 pm |
  12. Jean, Michigan

Candy, so relieved you haven't lost your sense of humor!

June 5, 2008 at 6:10 pm |
  13. Jan from Wood Dale, IL

Before I was older than dirt, I sometimes started my work day in downtown Chicago, and ended up in Manhattan by Noon. No time to pack anything except my briefcase. I learned quickly to keep a couple of complete change of clothes and a full set of personal essentials in a closet in our Manhattan office, just in case. Have the Mothership at least give you a closet. I would suggest they give you a hefty raise, too, but it's hard to enjoy the money and frequent flyer miles when you have to give up your vacation days.

June 5, 2008 at 5:44 pm |
  14. Jenn/Monrovia, CA

You'd think Mothership would pay up for you to get a laundry service. Poor Candy! Hang in there.

Take it from someone who grew up in a rural town in North Missouri...all high school gyms in rural areas are hot, even when they aren't supposed to be, even in the dead of winter! I think it's some sort of weird physics.

June 5, 2008 at 5:41 pm |
  15. Mel in Alaska

Question? Why is it such sport to bad mouth and assume the worst of Senator Clinton?

Senator Clinton is addressing the situation as well as can be expected amid the caustic atmosphere created by the media and pouring gas on it at every turn. She is working to assure us that she is going to maintain the faith with us so that we might follow her to the Obama camp. The media is making it next to impossible. Of course considering the treatment her supporters received so far from the DNC.. there is a snow ball’s chance that we will support him.

June 5, 2008 at 5:30 pm |
  16. Kelli

Doesn't the local Holiday Inn have laundry service? You should send the bill to CNN for having you interview Obama in wrinkeld clothing! Keep up the good work, we love to hear about your adventures in the world of politics!

June 5, 2008 at 5:24 pm |
  17. carmen

Hi Candy:
    I don't know how manage to do all this flying about to different times zones at all hours of the day. I travel occasionally on business and need weeks to recover. There is no question that your journalistic skills are impeccable and have always admired and respected your work, but your fortitude in being able to clock so much travel and being able to keep your wits and remain lucid and coherent is enviable.

June 5, 2008 at 5:15 pm |
  18. Lisa , Reno NV

BTW, you are my fav on CNN. One of the most fair reporters. Thank you.

June 5, 2008 at 4:58 pm |
  19. Lisa , Reno NV

Hillary Clinton should exit the race with caution and she is doing so. Her supporters from what I have seen in blogs are prepared not to vote or vote for McCain. We are unhappy with the way the media has favored Obama from the start. Actually, CNN should collect a check from the Obama campaign for getting him the nomination!
    Lisa, Nevada

June 5, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  20. Esbee

NObama

June 5, 2008 at 4:52 pm |
  21. Lora

Candy,
    You are so funny and you crack me up. Great blog and good luck with your laundry and other things when you have time to actually get back to living!

June 5, 2008 at 4:36 pm |
  22. Linda

Candy, I just watched your interview on the "Situation Room". It was awesome! You are the best. He seemed very at ease like he was having a conversation with a friend. Job well done!

June 5, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  23. Brigitte, Scottsdale, AZ

RE: Hillary Clinton

Two words from a 57 year-old white woman — Norma Desmond! And when and how will the Democratic party get this narcissistic diva off the stage?

“What does Hillary want?” Really now. Are we discussing the Presidency or are we cheerleaders for Hillary for editor of the Law Review or Prom Queen.

By the way, she did NOT have experience; she had exposure.

OBAMA for PRESIDENT! He's got my Arizona Republican vote. But please no Clintons on the ticket.

June 5, 2008 at 4:29 pm |
  24. AN OBAMA MAMA

Brian from Granada Hills CA. you don't know if Obama will be sharing the Presidency with the Clintons
    Obama had the most popular votes not Hillary.
    You said Obama won three of the remaining 11 primaries well to set you straight Obama won 11 straight primaries before that and it put him on top.
    well you don,'t have to worry maybe she won't be vp.
    you sound v angry and racist to me or maybe you are just inmature Obama won fair and square.
    Obama planned for the long haul Hillary did not because she thought she was going to be the Nominee in February.
    Candy crowley keep up the work!!!
    GO OBAMA 08

June 5, 2008 at 4:25 pm |
  25. Smarter than that

I believe he will be able to sway the folks in Virginia. I'm excited for him and all of us. GO OBAMA.

Candy, I love your since of humor. I wish more articles were as fun to read as yours are.

June 5, 2008 at 4:23 pm |
  26. Spencer

Candy, I think you attitude sucks....

June 5, 2008 at 4:19 pm |
  27. Johanne Henrickson

I am surprised by the comments some of my co-workers express in regards to Obama. They tend to believe and fear the statements about his "accepting money from unfriendly countries" and being Muslim. Those forwarded e-mails have an insidious effect on many-they creep into their unconscious and nag the back of their thoughts. I have been very surprised by how many seem to indiscrimately believe everything they read on the internet. I wonder how much this will effect the general election–just his name. I remember hearing his speech at the last Democratic Convention and thinking then "someday, this man will be president" although I didn't expect it to be this soon. I love listening to Anderson Cooper and all of you regular contributors. I find your insights very illuminating. Keep up the good work. And when the heck do any of you sleep???

June 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  28. Donna Leary

I am new at this, but I don't want Hillary as running mate.

June 5, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  29. Jim in Atlanta

I do love your blogs Candy. You make us feel like a fly on the wall, just taking it all in. To heck with the laundry, you may just have to buy new clothes and keep on flying!

June 5, 2008 at 4:12 pm |
  30. KP

Senator Obama promised to change the way things are done in Washington. Today the DNC announced that they were not going to take anymore contributions from federal lobbyists, from PACs' going in line with the Illinois senator's policy but CNN has failed to report such a huge development. I really think this is a big deal and should be the major story of the day instead they are obssessed with the Clintons' drama and "her next move" as being shown as I type on CNN. Neither CNN nor cnn.com has reported this while other political blogs like The Huffington Post and Politico have had this news on their websites for hours and that I think is a big shame.

June 5, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  31. Brian from Granada Hills, CA

I think this whole experience is one that is hard for Hillary to swallow. She won the popular vote, she got outmaneuvered in the caucus states by moveon.org, she got cheated by the DNC, she had to donate her own personal funds to keep her campagin running, she and her husband were treated like criminals by the Barack's campaign team everytime she or her husband made a comment that could be somehow construed the wrong way, and the media bashed her at the beginning of the primaries big time.

It wasn’t till the writing was on the wall that they gave her a break and starting going after Barack, who by the way only won 3 of the final 11 primaries.

She knows and her followers know she is the strongest candidate left, and that this entire process was taken away from her by the DNC rules, the media and the fact the Barack’s political machine can call her followers like Ferraro or Bill a racist if they speak their mind with facts and the media unfortunately for all of us, always seemed to agree with Barack’s team's interpretation of what was said.

Even if Hillary is VP I wouldn’t vote for this weak arrogant inexperienced candidate who associates himself for 20 years with the extreme like Wright, Ayers, Pflegher, and Rezko. Don’t ask me about his liberal tax and spend policies I may begin to vomit.

Being a strong Hillary supporter I am now voting for McCain.

June 5, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  32. Marnie Valliere

Anderson, it didn't seem like you were very fired up about your Wii Fit. If you decide that it's not for you...I have a friend who has been waiting a very long time to find one...feel free to donate.

June 5, 2008 at 3:52 pm |
  33. Larry

Candy, you are our cornucopia for the truth:)

June 5, 2008 at 3:40 pm |
  34. Kim

Candy, I love your blogs and your sense of humor!

Tell the mothership to invent beaming or hide a clean set of clothes in Sen Obama's campaign plane for the next time you go. Also deposit strategic clothes caches in New York, DC, Chicago and LA.

Can't wait to see your interview tonight. I thought the presidential race would become less interesting now, but it seems to pick up even more steam. Hang in there! We love to hear from you!

June 5, 2008 at 3:38 pm |
  35. Beth

Only a make-up artist...come on Candy, you are in the big leagues now. I'll bet you can get the mothership to spring for a new outfit or two–especially since they are keeping you on the road unable to do your own laundry 🙂 Even better–maybe you could persuade them to get you a personal assistant willing to do laundry, fish your cell phone out of the water etc. etc.

As for Hillary I hope that we get a break from hearing about her for a while after the big Saturday event. All of this speculation about what she wants, what she might do, what she will be offered etc. just keeps stirring up the frenzy. Let's focus on Obama for awhile and give him the attention and recognition that he rightly deserves. (I'm really glad you get to interview him–I'll look forward to seeing that!)

June 5, 2008 at 3:37 pm |
  36. Megan O. Toronto, ON, Canada

Candy I always look forward to reading your post and I can't wait to see your chat with Obama.

as to a cyberspace symbol to denote a sarcastic remark...I dont know of one but there should certainly be one

June 5, 2008 at 3:36 pm |
  37. Michael

Candy:
    Sounds like you have just a few irons in the fire there. I believe everyone needs to leave Obama alone about his VP selection. I fear that Clinton has become so polarizing that she could be more of an albatross than a benefit. If Obama is to win in November it will not be because of who his running mate is, it will be because he and Clinton worked together to heal the divisions in the party. The intense vitriolic tone of some Clinton supporters, as well as Obama supporters is a testament to how much work they have to do to heal the party. At least on the blogs I see, there are very few actually discussing the issues, it is more a back and forth between supporters as to why or why not they feel a certain way about Obama. I fear unless something can be done, this election will be based solely on emotion, that emotion being anger and spite, the issues are much to important to let emotion rule the day.

June 5, 2008 at 3:32 pm |
  38. deborah,OH

I do love your blogs, Candy! They always make me smile. Your laudry can wait–we need you with us. (My laundry is not finished either.)

Good Luck on your visit with Obama. He's going to find out what a terrific person you are. Maybe you will get the VP nod.

Keep us informed–we will be waiting. And, again, thanks for all you do.

June 5, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  39. Lynne in Indiana

Candy,
    I have GOT to tell you – you are the BEST!!!! I've been following along with the campaign news forever (I'm sure you are feeling like it's been 'double forever'). Your reporting is always the best. You ALWAYS have the facts, the insider info and a great way of explaining it all to plain ole me.

You are the BEST!!! Thanks for all of your hard work!!

Lynne =-)
    An Indiana Mom

June 5, 2008 at 3:27 pm |
  40. Kristien,Antwerp, Belgium

Oh Miss Candy, you do always make me laugh with your posts!

I am looking forward to seeing your chat with the Senator and I'm sure the make-up artist has made you look even more fabulous than you normally do!

June 5, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  41. Stacy

Hi Candy. Your blogs never cease to crack me up. I hope the mothership sent you some clean clothes along with those make-up artists. Looking forward to your interview.

June 5, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  42. Cindy

Candy,
    I am glad that you are back to blogging every day. I love your posts! It seems every day you are in a different destination! Geeze...I hope you get to spend at least some time at home! LOL

I think if Obama picks Hillary as the VP it'll be because he was bullied into it so he can bring her supporters back in the fold so to speak. But honestly I just don't see it happening.

And CONGRATS on your get with Obama! You go girl!! Can't wait to see your interview. And don't worry clean clothes or not I'm sure you will be great.

Cindy...Ga.

June 5, 2008 at 3:17 pm |
  43. Debbie

Candy,
    Maybe he's going to tap you for VP! Then let someone else do the laundry! Your blogs are the BEST! Please blog about your son's upcoming wedding–LOVE to read YOUR take on that! And congratulations!

June 5, 2008 at 3:10 pm |
  44. Brian from Granada Hills, CA

I wonder if Barack Hussein Obama, ever thought that when he dreamed of being President he thought he would be sharing it with his rival and with his rival's husband who just happenned to be a popular former President.

June 5, 2008 at 3:08 pm |
  45. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Hi Candy,
    Wow, an endless plane ride, a clothing shortage, standing on the tarmac of life with the audacity of a hopeful day...And then a spray of makeup right in the face! Does the mothership have a change of clothes in their little bag too? A change you can believe in...Yes you can! Good luck on the Chat.

Lorie Ann, Buellton, Calif.

June 5, 2008 at 3:07 pm |
  46. Neil

Great to see that Obama is taking anytime off and getting straight down to the crunch. The sign of a true leader!

June 5, 2008 at 2:58 pm |
  47. Jenny

Candy,

I do love reading your blogs. You are a very smart lady with a sense of humor that probably keeps you sane at a very insane timein your life.
    Good luck with the Laundry. If they are not too dirty a little fabreeze might freshen them up. This tip is from my teenage son. Do not know where he picked this up and I am not sure I want to.!!

Jenny Rome ga