June 4th, 2008

What a season finale! Next in the presidential race: Season two

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamanominee.jpg caption="Obama claimed the Democratic presidential nomination Tuesday night in a long-time-coming victory."]

Barclay Palmer
360° Senior Producer

Today reminds me of that odd feeling when you see a heavily promoted "Season Finale" on TV, but you know a whole new season begins any minute–right after your too quick summer vacation.

Sure, the amazing and gripping Obama vs. Hillary contest is over... But what now–does he pick her as running mate, win over her supporters and heal the party–and get Wild Bill rustling up trouble, to boot?

Or does he pick some lesser mortal to form some dream-is-over ticket, and hope everyone will forget the valiant but too-late rally by Hillary and her supporters, and let him get on with the real title fight with John McCain?

The fellow parents waiting at my daughter's bus stop this morning could talk about nothing else. Daughters? Oh yeah–bye!! Love you!!

What's your view?

Filed under: Barack Obama • Barclay Palmer • Democrats • Hillary Clinton • John McCain • Raw Politics
  1. Elly Gunn

Hillary should run as an independent. As for the reporters and media, you are all biased against HIllary. Everytime I watch CNN. all those reporters or guests that you interview are all for Obama. What happened to equality and fairness in reporting? Might as well change your shows to the Obama Show.

June 4, 2008 at 11:26 pm |
  2. Eduardo

As a Canadian black man, I find it disturbing that CNN and Americans seem to be more focused on Hillary Clinton, rather than focus on the historic movement forward in American history. Barack Obama embodies all that is hopeful an represents change in the world. I would like to hear more about what went right with Obama's campaign rather that what went wrong with Clinton's.

June 4, 2008 at 11:25 pm |
  3. Harry

I propose that Senator Obama counter Senator McCain's Towne Hall offer with this:

Agree to three Towne Hall meetings after the Republican Convention. Start with a Towne Hall, then a Debate; continue to alternate and end with a Debate. This allows the candidates to engage the American people, but does not allow Senator McCain to completely dictate how the candidates engage.

June 4, 2008 at 11:20 pm |
  4. Doug Kroger

Hillary Clinton For Independent

June 4, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  5. toni

i love your show

June 4, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  6. Karen Detweiler

I agree with Cindy and SC Gal –Biased, worst coverage ever. I hope no one gets an award for this campaign coverage.

June 4, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  7. irma krawczyk

I totally agree with sc gal the young people don't know what clinton did and how he fixed the country and stood up for the little people and i too am ending my support for democrats and voting republican.
    totally fed up with politics.

June 4, 2008 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Eleanor Haley Selph

Please help me understand how Hillary's is doing what is best for the Democratic Party and can help Obama win in November when she won't even concede that he has WON the Democratic nomination? In my opinion she is interested in the ATTENTION and gaining all the power she can muster. If she really wanted to bring the party together, she would have graciously congradulated Obama last evening! She did not...it was all about HER. If Obama chooses her for his running mate I will be extremely disappointed in his choice. I think Richardson would be an asset to Obama and the Presidency. But PLEASE...NOT HILLARY!

June 4, 2008 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Jill

Firstly – Ms. Faye Wattleton is the best. Where has she been? I miss her work

Secondly – Give Ms. Clinton a break. She needs a couple of days to chill and get over her loss. She will do the right thing and approve Obama. But remember Clinton did get the popular vote. That does mean something.

June 4, 2008 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Larry

June 4th, 2008 10:23 pm ET

Here’s a thought. Hillary and her older women supporters are having trouble dealing with her defeat by underdog Barack Obama. Not unlike the Giants beating the Pats.
    Maybe part of the problem here is lack of experience in hard fought contests and how to win and lose gracefully. Women my daughter’s age (in their 20’s) have lots of experience with this, thanks to Title 9 and other reasons, they grew up playing sports and winning and losing a lot, dealing with the emotions involved. But women of Hillary’s age, for the most part, missed out on this. Maybe they don’t know how to deal with this because they didn’t get much practice while they were young and impressionable? I’m just an old white guy, what do I know–any reaction from you younger or older women?

June 4, 2008 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Margaret Gehl

You mused, "What happened to Sen. Clinton's lead?" It's obvious. The press fell in love with Obama and pulled out everything they could to defeat Sen. Clinton. The little smirks at every sexist joke, bringing up every old negative about Pres. Clinton, glossing over Obama's weaknesses, these are what brought about Sen. Clinton's defeat. It is so discouraging to watch, given that it's the same treatment the press gave George Bush to get him elected. It's truly amazing that the media cannot recognize Sen. Clinton's intelligence, experience and superb qualifications. It's time to overhaul the primary process so that the voters in every state get their voices heard without the influence of media pressure and hype.

June 4, 2008 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Joshua Griffith

Has anyone mentioned the idea of a 3rd party run for Clinton. It would be historic and she has a legitimate shot at winning. I listened to Gov. Ventura on Larry King earlier and believe he's right. We need a legit 3rd party to balance things in Washington. Plus throw in her unbelievable desire to be Pres. and I think she should do it. Sort of a snub to her so called friends who bailed out on her (ie: Richardson).

June 4, 2008 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Loretta from California

Congratulations Senator Obama!!!!! Make us proud!

On the VP question, take your time, do your research. No pressure.

And be sure to thank your wife for being so supportive of you. Good job Michelle.

June 4, 2008 at 10:06 pm |
  14. David

"CHICAGO – A prominent fundraiser for Sen. Barack Obama and Gov. Rod Blagojevich was convicted Wednesday of fraud and money laundering after a high-profile federal trial provided an unusually detailed glimpse of the pay-to-play politics that has made Illinois infamous. "

June 4, 2008 at 9:50 pm |
  15. Juan Perea y Monsuwé

I lost all interest after reading Wild Bill.

I have no interest in Barack Hussein Obama anyway.

June 4, 2008 at 9:47 pm |
  16. Larry

To Crystal

I too vote on the issues, NOT on someone's color. If I only voted on color then that would be a disservice to the legacy of Dr. King. If people voted for Sen. Obama just because of the color of his skin then they should be ashamed to celebrate MLK Day,

I voted for Sen. Obama because of what he promises to bring to ALL americans.

June 4, 2008 at 9:08 pm |
  17. Brad

I hope the media finally begins to research who Obama is. I think there is much to learn yet and I am very disappointed that the media has not done their home work. As often the case, the media will act surprised to learn facts that they should have researched long ago!

June 4, 2008 at 8:04 pm |
  18. Crystal

To Tanita,

For you to call a man rasict just because of what his pastor has said is sad. I am a person of strong faith and believe that Obama has strong faith. He went to that church strengthen his beliefs in GOD not his pastor. Not every single sunday Rev. Wright preached the SAME sermon. By all means you are entitle to your own opinion, but we are worried about of future in this country not what somebody pastor has said and done.

Just something to think about.

I vote on the issues not on someones beliefs.

June 4, 2008 at 8:03 pm |
  19. Kenyatta

*Also what about the 18 million voters he won do we not mean anything.

*If he wants to choose Hillary I would support him no matter what because I am a true Democrat, but I sure don't think he should be forced to take her as a VP. He should choose someone who will have his back, not stab him in the back as soon as his back is turned. Which Hillary will do because you see the way she has behaved the entire campaign. Its all about her and not us as the people.

*Barack said its best this is about us and our children who will running this country next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 at 7:51 pm |
  20. Larry

Why are Canadians telling us who to vote for; we don't go telling them who to vote for in their elections.

June 4, 2008 at 7:50 pm |
  21. Kenyatta

At the begining of the race I was going to vote for Hillary, because of the things I knew of her and her husband, but then I started looking at news and listening to these radio shows and going the individual web sites of the candidates and I read Mr. Obamas book My Fathers Dream and I decided he would better understand the circumstances of my life. I am a black woman. Hillary really can only empathize with the the things I have had to go through in my short time. His mother was lower class, was on welfare, had to raise her two children alone with the support of her parents. He had to go to a school on a scholarship and based on his grades. Hillary's parents were wealthy enough said. Yes she can understand me on an emotional level because she goes through the hard I feel, but that is as far as the commonality goes.

She has been like a bull dog wanted to keep the bone regardless of who has the right to it. This man won fair and square. She has changed the rules some many times it is hard to count. All this people in Florida and Michigan taking Hillary's side get real. She did a couple of interviews at the begining and said those elections, wouldn't count , but when she saw the score board she called fowl. What about those people who did not vote in those elections, because they thought their votes wouldn't count.

June 4, 2008 at 7:47 pm |
  22. Pamela

The sooner we stop talking about a possible Obama/Clinton "dream" ticket the better. Let's be honest, after all those two have gone through in this campaign, they're not going to morph into a copacetic team in a few short months. Even if they both believed they could, I don't think the public would buy it.

I think a solid party-healing compromise is in order. His name: Wesley Clark.

From Rhodes Scholar to military expert, General Clark's vast experience is the perfect accompaniment to Barack Obama's youthful exuberance. Obama needs someone like this on the ticket to help counter criticism that he hasn't been around long enough.

Clark has been a big supporter of Hillary Clinton. I think it would to wonders for the fractured Democratic Party if Obama would reach out to him now. It would also give Clinton a way to bow out gracefully by throwing her support behind someone already close to her heart. Everybody wins–except the Republicans.

And finally, does anyone not like this guy? My dream ticket: Obama/Clark. What do we have to do to make it happen?

June 4, 2008 at 7:16 pm |
  23. Trevell from VA

im glade that he won not because hes black but because that america has changed over 45 years ago. he finally can say he is the nominee. i have deep respect for sCliton but the other day when she spoke was not what i suspected from her. Im only 15 and i interested in polictics ,its awsome ,i wacth cnn almost everyday. this is the first time i post a comment hear. so im just representing the teens because interested to.

June 4, 2008 at 6:47 pm |
  24. Larry

This is serious stuff; not some soap or sporting event on tv.

June 4, 2008 at 5:27 pm |
  25. shawn

Obama will Run over mccain like a Rih to let the republican Know that they dont come to BIG

June 4, 2008 at 5:04 pm |
  26. VoteN4McCain

What about the promise after 2000 by the democratic party that every vote would count? The republican's didn't create that lie! I hope Hillary declines to run as the VP. I can not vote for this guy no matter who the running mate is.

June 4, 2008 at 5:02 pm |
  27. Janet, 60+White Female American via Canada

WOW! What a show! The excitement and numerous people voting and coming out to see and meet the candidates, especially that Tall Senator Barak Obama, the next President of America, 2008!

June 4, 2008 at 4:57 pm |
  28. Mike P

What a great season it was. I was hooked, just like a season finale of Lost or 24!

I have to ask one thing though, the news makes it seem that everyone wants Hilliary, but on all these network blogs, it seem the opposite...?

June 4, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  29. Tracey Anderson - Boston, MA

Obama needs to pick a strong and respected (ha) democrat as a Veep (as the lingo goes).

Hillary is not it the candidate...not after this past week. If Bill's public reaction to the Vanity Fair article is a small indication of what may happen in the future, Obama will have his hands too full. Will her notoriety be too much or overshadow her 'boss'.

Then Obama tried to call her twice to no avail except voice mail. Then, only, this morning when they arrived at the same function did she speak every so briefly with him.

She needs time.

She has had time since January to prepare for defeat and everytime she loaned her campaign millions of dollars she had time. She wants to think about it for 48 hours. Fine. She doesn't have to publically state her desicion but if she can't talk to a prospective running-mate to shoot the breeze and just talk....she doesn't deserve to be Veep!

June 4, 2008 at 4:32 pm |
  30. Beverly

Hillary Supporters, Hillary Supporters, I am so sick of this mantra. Millions voted for Obama on his own without Hillary. I am sick and tried of her being treated with kid gloves and all this unwarranted attention being paid to Hillary and her feelings. ENOUGH!!!! Where is the petition for those who don't want her on the ticket? She needs to be VP so bad run with McCain. Barack has the right to choose someone he can work with. Two's company, three is a crowd!! And the Clintons have a very toxic crowd. Put these two in your rear view as soon as possible.

Barack on Friday morning have a conference call and announce that you are open to all candidates for the job.

June 4, 2008 at 4:30 pm |
  31. Debbie, NJ

SC Gal. Get over the Clintons. This is a new day and a new era. The babyboomer era is over. It is time for fresh ideas, fresh blood in the WH. Look at the country you BBs have left for the younger generation. I'm a late boomer myself(51) but I got a chance to enjoy some of the benefits of this country. Look at it now. Gas has never been as high, home purchase prices are ridiculous. The one thing I have always noticed about the boomers was that the only thing they cared about were the issues that effected them. Now the boomers are really old and all they care about is their pension, adult communities and their medication. What about the war (other than you being protected), education, cost of living, medical care for working and children, the things that effect the younger generation. We need a change in the WH.

June 4, 2008 at 4:08 pm |
  32. Linda-CT

Say no to the Clintons! If Obama is fighting for change then he has to leave the self-serving duo behind. He won the nomination as a result of running a superb grass roots campaign and fundraising for each and every single dollar. He proved that he doesn't need the Clintons to win anything.

Joe Biden, Joe Lieberman, Michael Bloomberg...pick one!

Wouldn't Caroline Kennedy be a great VP choice (if only she were interested)? She's bright, well-respected and admired throughout the nation. Surely, she'd help to secure some of the female votes.

Time to bring class, hope and amazing leadership back to the White House.

June 4, 2008 at 4:06 pm |
  33. Chris McGowens

If a person hates another person, based on that persons race, religion, or sexuality, then that person, has the potential of being a terrorist.

If we democrats cant come together(HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON) and join as AMERICANS, not as blacks, whites, native americans, latinos, cubans,etc.... If we dont succeed in coming as one the it doesnt matter who he picks because it will be a divide amongst us that will only encourage hatred an anomosity because we let our personal attachments to our specific candidates engulf the overall goal as a party that represents not only change but equality to all Americans

June 4, 2008 at 4:01 pm |
  34. martial

i am so happy for obama. i just don't know why hillary won't concede. such a bad loser. she underestimated obama from the beginning

June 4, 2008 at 3:53 pm |
  35. angel

Hillary speech last night really turn me off with her. She just will not give up the spot life it is as if she have to be center stage. Hillary say that her 18 million voter need to be heard, well you know Obama have just as many and he won last night can his voters be heard first. Sit down Hillary for just one minute give Obama his glory. I dont think the dream team as you guys call it a bad ideal, But Hillary and Bill will have to know there place in where they stand and not try to run the House. Obama be very careful when choosing your VP its your choice so do it wisely and not because this is what people expect. Remeber they never expect you to be in the position that you are in. They counted you out before you even go started but you showed the world what you are made of and what you can bring to the table and this is awsome. Keep up the good work and stay level headed.

June 4, 2008 at 3:35 pm |
  36. priscilla stuart

I think she should have stayed till the convention.
    And then let the people decide who will run, not the media pressuring the superdelegates to back one or the other on TV Tues nite.

June 4, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  37. Stacy

I agree with Cindy. This all politics all the time is becoming unwatchable. Of course we want you to cover the race extensively, but you have a whole hour every night (two in fact if the second hour went back to being more than just a repeat). There is a lot going on in the world that you would have plenty of time to cover if you cut back on some of the punditry speculation.

A few days ago I was watching another CNN show and saw a report on Katrina survivors, yet 360, the show that made the promise to never forget the disaster, didn't even mention the story. And what about international news? Have you guys moved on from everything? I guess it's all about ratings.

June 4, 2008 at 3:25 pm |
  38. Franklin Callaway

Aa a black male born and reared in a Kentucky coal mining “camp” in the late 40's, the 50's, and the early 60's watching my father work himself to a horrific death from black lung disease trying to provide for fifteen children and an invalid sister who had no medical insurance; having served in the military during the Viet Nam Era and having watched my friends die for a country that would not let them eat in restaurants that our Vietnamese allies could, and seeing their widows being told that they could not use the $15,000 check that came with the American flag their fallen spouse had earned to by a home outside the “colored section” of town; having participated in civil rights protests while in college in the late 60's and early 70's; and having lived through the murders, assignations, lynching, humiliation, and jailing of people who would never live to see this day, the fruit of their efforts, I say, “Bravo America!” As a Bible thumping Christian, I sure wish that the democrats would rethink their position on the two moral issues that still divide us.

June 4, 2008 at 3:12 pm |
  39. Kellie

I am very happy that Senator Obama won the race for democrate party, but I have a problem with everyone saying this is a historic day because this the first time in American History that an "African-American" has been elected for a major party, but are we just totally denying his mother heritage? He is not just "African-American" he is bi-racial. Hearing the first "African-American" this shows you that America still feels that if you have a black parent you are considered black. People lets not deny his heritage, and support a man that can truly unify this country he is a true American half white and half black.

June 4, 2008 at 3:02 pm |
  40. Georgette

I am an Independent, who has not supported one candidate over another. If all Americans think for one minute we have a voice in this or any election forth coming you are mistaken. The elections are manipulated to sever the few high-powered in government.
    Just look at the events of this campaign.
    Lets be honest here, from day one the news media has been bias. They have not been fair to the candidates, nor given Americans the real truth behind the stories. They broadcast what they want us to hear and know. Have you ever noticed the clips they choose to show, clips that in most cases then not are negative, without out revealing the actual truth behind it.
    The talking heads you see before your TV screens get there marching orders from the higher ups, who have already set the agendas.
    These self-severing originations from the onset, picked a candidate and proceeded
    To influence the American people with propaganda. The news media, journalist and ill informed annoying talking heads are part of America’s problem!

Sympathy for Senator Clinton, I think not! PROUD YES INDEED!!! She is a fighter, strong with many years of experience. She represents millions of strong Americans who will support her in whatever path she chooses.

June 4, 2008 at 2:46 pm |
  41. Karen

I am a 62 yr old woman who feels it is time for change in our nation. I am encouraged by the record turnouts of new voters and the interest of the youth today. I have always supported and admired the Clintons but feel it is time for them to let go of the reigns and put their support behind Obama for the good of the nation. I trust they will do that.

The world is watching with even more interest now that Obama has won the primary race. The US is at a pivotal point and it matters to the rest of the world what direction we take. The old ways created the image "ugly American" to the world. Obama offers a break from the status quo and hope for a better image around the world.

We must not fear change but rather embrace it.

June 4, 2008 at 2:40 pm |
  42. Olivia Quinn

"Shame on you, Hillary," is all I can feel for her. She's shown her true colors, one being GREEN with envy! Obama won fair and square, a historic, hard fought nomination. But Hillary and president X just can't accept it. Apparently, she can't understand the basic rules of the game, i.e., "you have to know when to hold em, know when to fold elm, know when to walk away, and know when to RUN."
    Clinton's behavior has made it plain to so many of us, the "hardworking African American's", how she and president X really feel about our past loyalties. I am disappointed in them both! I used to be proud of all of their accomplishments, but those have been tarnished by their arrogance and classlessness. Her speech last night screamed that she's not ready for the White House and certainly not ready to stand with the powerful, Barack Obama for the United States of America.

June 4, 2008 at 2:34 pm |
  43. Adam T.

Sounds as though there is alot of bitterness still, people threatening to leave the party . The emotional train will come to a stand still soon enough , people will be allowed their time to vent and express their disappointment their said favorite did not prevail and then people will make the right choice and vote, knowing the current state of our economy that the so called conservative experts handled. Its just counter productive to be divided as parties and as a people(AMERICANS). Now it is time to move forward and no Clinton should not be offered the VP slot based on the way she ran her campaign. She should now pursue a a role of support to the party nominee after all, its is now whats best for the party and AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 at 2:33 pm |
  44. Rose

I respect Mrs. Clinton, but she dissapointed last night..
    Her speech was self elevating and targeted to pressure Obama hence the need to remind us about 18M people that voted for her..
    And what about the petition by BET Bob Johnson- a petition is not a request.. It's pressuring to say the least..So, let them stop pretending that they are requesting for consideration- it's simply a show of might..

Barack should be able to pick a candidate that does not believe that he/she is the better option.. He'll be fighting with a power couple, and people who've been there , done that!
    The Clinton's had 10 years to change America, they need to let equally qualified individuals leave their mark in white house..

I agree with Chris, less is more sometimes..

June 4, 2008 at 2:29 pm |
  45. seah

Maybe somone will now examine Him closely, his life and who he is really is.

Because the people do not know.

June 4, 2008 at 1:51 pm |
  46. Beth

SC Gal-

I respectfully disagree. I too am of the generation that well remembers what America was like before and during the Clinton administration. The Clintons did a great job when Bill was president. Frankly, because of all of the distractions about his personal life I don't think he is given nearly enough credit for all the good was accomplished during his two terms. He was the right person for the job at that time. Now that time has passed and it is a new day, the world is different and we need a different leader who is ready to face the challenges of THIS time.

June 4, 2008 at 1:40 pm |
  47. JC- Los Angeles

Michelle Obama will never allow Hillary to be her husband's VP, period; she is the one pulling the strings and she is the one who's the born leader; Barack reported to her at the law firm, followed her to Rev. Wright then followed him for twenty years; see a pattern? As for lesser mortals, it's hilarious to suggest that a candidate with no tangible experience, no foreign policy experience, no military experience, questionable friends and racist spiritual advisors are anything but a "lesser mortal."

June 4, 2008 at 1:21 pm |
  48. June -Maryland

I believe picking Clinton as his V.P. will be a huge mistake.

Mrs. Clinton truly disrespected, not only Senator Obama, but all African Americans, by not congratulating him on such a momentous occasion. I was truly disappointed that she, whom I thought had a little bit of class [left], did not take the high road and show even the slightest bit of recognition on this historical triumph. I honestly believe that had it been the other way around, he would have given her her [historical] recognition without any hesitation.

Senator Obama needs to be very afraid of her. For I don't think she will work with him, but against him.

June 4, 2008 at 1:16 pm |
  49. Jeffrey

We conservative Democrats won't vote for the most liberal member of the Senate for President under ANY circumstance. This will be my eighth time to vote for President and I have only voted for the Democratic nominee twice. A moderate Republican is a far better choice than another McGovern/Carter/Dukakis/Kerry Democrat. Now, when political news comes on/ or commercials I change the channel. We are going to vote early (McCain(after all, McCain is a great American) followed by a straight Democratic ballot) and take a leisurely bus and train vacation through Mexico late October early November. Then on November 6, clock in, go to work, buy groceries,pay bills. Life goes on....

June 4, 2008 at 12:48 pm |
  50. Dr. Calvin Lott, Jr.

WHY does everyone beleive that Clinton has so many backers that would affect the outcome of the General Election. We all know that Republican groups have admitted that they have mobilized groups of republicans to vote for her in the Primaries. All of those votes that she received were not just democrats who would have voted for her in the General Election. You can beleive that the oppoisite is more so true for Obama. It seems that Mr. Pfleger was RIGHT: HILARY CLINTON BELEIVES THAT she is ENTITLED to SOMETHING!

June 4, 2008 at 12:47 pm |